The Party

Dark Wings

By the time they arrived at the entrance of the Haedong complex, their friends were already there waiting for them under the evening lights. Upon spotting the boys, Woori smiled and waved.

"Oh good, there you are. We were starting to get worried."

"No we weren't, that was just you," Aron joshed with a smile, before receiving an elbow to the ribs from Seungah.

"Yeah, sorry it took so long. Couldn't really decide on what to wear. We weren't sure how formal of a party this is," said Ren.

Looking upon the others and what they wore, he suddenly felt self-conscious and regretted the decision to put on jeans. All three of the girls were dressed in simple elegant black dresses. Seungah the most minimalistic, with no accessories and her long hair flowing down in waves, Woori complementing the lace or her sleeves with a large crystal necklace and Jisook had clearly spent ages curling and pinning up her hair and assembling the large collection of clunky chains around her wrists and neck. They all looked incredible.

And then here we are, in jeans and t-shirts. He felt a somewhat relieving pang of solidarity when noticing Aron, who had slacked off on dressing as well, and was of the opinion that doing his hair and wearing a blazer was as much effort as anyone could demand from him.

"Well, I'm glad you made it here safely," Woori concluded happily. "If we're all here, let's go inside."

Baekho shrugged as the group got into motion to head to the entrance. "It's not like it was very far."

"Too far for me to have gone," Jisook said thoughtfully while picking at one of her curls. "Walking at night gives me the creeps. I'm glad I live upstairs."

Woori gently grabbed the hand that Jisook was using to fidget her hair with and pulled it down by her waist. “Stop touching it, Sookie, you look fine.”

Seeing an opportunity to hitch into the conversation, Ren nudged Jisook lightly and said smilingly, “If I had known everyone else would be wearing black too, I wouldn't have picked out that dress for you.”

Jisook laughed. “Don't worry about it Rennie, this is great. We all look like sisters now.”

“Sisters?” Woori inquired in a tone of mock affront. “You think of me as your sister? I am insulted.”

“You're right, that's entirely the wrong word. Ren is my sister, Seungah's more like my fairy godmother, and you're my grandmother.”

"Humph,” Woori smiled crookedly and Ren suppressed a snicker.

When they entered the building the members of the group that were residents checked in with their wristbands one by one, and as instructed, Ren, Baekho and Woori did the same immediately after so the system would recognise every resident allowed in only one guest.

They emerged at the beginning of a large wide hall, its walls adorned with posters for local events that the students had put up.

Along one of the walls, a wide row of tables had been set up in front of several coat racks, and a few volunteers of the building's entertainment committee were running a makeshift cloak room.

Jisook, who had been wearing Woori's motorcycle jacket against the mild chill of the night, excused herself before she made her way over. “Let me just put this away real quick.”

This left the others to look around for a while. Ren had been to this building plenty of times, mostly when visiting Jisook or Aron, but had never been here at night. With no sunlight streaming in the hall's tall windows, the place had a totally different atmosphere. It's amazing what fluorescent lighting and the onset of night can do to a place.

As if reading his mind, Woori make a scoffing remark. “I never like parties like these. I mean if it's just for the inhabitants that's all very well, but why invite people from across town? That's just asking for trouble.”

“Aren't you glad to be here?” Seungah inquired.

“Well of course. I just don't feel very good walking here at night. I'd take my bike but that's not done when dressed like this. Jisook was right, it just gives me the creeps, and I don't approve of putting people at risk like that.” Ren felt his stomach knot. Woori was a night watch member, she of all people was not one he'd expect to be frightened. But if her feeling of security was derived solely from being on her motorcycle and capable of a quick escape in case of alarm, then just how unsafe was it?

All ready?” Seungah asked as Jisook came back.

“Yes, let's commence partying!” The exclamation held a lot more promise of amusement than it would actually turn out to bring about. Aron swung open the doors to the hall designated for the party and immediately the sound of music drowned out any possible response. At first sight, Ren could recognise no familiar faces, neither among those on the dance floor or those stood chatting in small groups along the side. Woori and Jisook on the other hand, were immediately beckoned over by acquaintances and dragged off to partake in light conversation, or as light as one could call it, when screaming was necessary to be heard over the music. By the time Ren had gotten a good look around the room, their group had already shrunk to half its size, leaving only the guys.

“Where'd Seungah go?” he wondered aloud.

Baekho pointed to somewhere across the room. “She went to get a drink. Should we join her?”

Looking over to the brightly coloured counter stocked with taps and bottles where he recognised his friend gingerly seating herself on a barstool, Ren nodded.

With a another fleeting look over the crowd, he failed to find Woori, but did spot Jisook off in a corner. She was talking to a vaguely familiar looking girl in a loose-fitting white top and shiny gold shorts. This girl had clearly not gotten the memo with regards to smart-casual clothing either. Looking around, Ren noticed to his relief that there were a handful of others, probably all of them non-residents, dressed similarly informal. At least they weren't not the only ones.

They excused their way through the crowd, Aron following suit until they reached the bar. There, Ren plopped down onto a barstool next to Seungah. Aron gave a quick look at his friends and Seungah's drink, and then hailed the barkeep, ordering a beer for each of them.

The young man on bar duty nodded at the request, but then frowned slightly when he met Ren's eyes. With a sigh, Ren realised it would be several more years before he'd be able to order any alcohol without having to show his id. He could see Aron's expression shift from the corner of his eye and knew the boy wanted to make a quip about Ren's baby face, but Seungah mercifully silenced him with a kick to the shin before he got a chance.

Baekho seemed a little left out of the events, as he instead focussed his attention on his reflection in the wall-wide mirror behind the bar. He had taken the advice of a certain young girl and had gelled his hair up, so that it was no longer 'floppy', as she had described it, and as he evaluated his appearance once more he had to begrudgingly admit it looked a lot better.

Did we really come all the way here just so you could drool over your own reflection?” Ren asked.

Baekho smiled. “What do you think, Ren? Does it look better when I gel my hair up like this? Or when I leave it as is?”
Ren shrugged, and mumbled a thank you when the barkeep set his drink down in front of him. “Either way looks fine to me.

Though I must say it brightens up your face like this.”

“You guys are beginning to sound like me and Jisook, honeys. Don't you have more manly things to discuss than hair?” Seungah giggled behind her glass.

"I'm afraid not, we're just not exactly manly men overflowing with typical man-like masculinity.”

Baekho made a noise. “Speak for yourself.” Rolling his eyes, Ren suppressed a laugh. He looked over to the fourth member of their party on Seungah's left and frowned.

You're being awfully quiet tonight, Aron. Is something wrong?”

No man, I'm just bummed that JR couldn't come with you guys. It'd be more fun with all of us here.”

“I don't doubt it,” Baekho cut in. “But you know he's really not been in good health lately, he can barely get out of bed, let alone spend the night out.”

Aron shrugged, and took a swig of his beer. Then he smiled, a bit forced. “But let's not allow that to ruin things. I don't know about you guys, but I am going to get hammered and embarrass myself on the dance floor. If you care to join me, I'll hear it.” He decidedly downed the rest of his beer in one go, coughed then as it made him breathe wrong, and raised a hand to demand the barkeep's attention again,

“Barkeep!” he shouted. “A bottle of soju for me and my friends.”

Baekho intervened. “Oh no man, I'm really not in the mood for that.”

Me neither,” Ren added.

Aron looked at them with sad, betrayed eyes. “Come on you guys. I can't drink alone, that's just tragic. What else are friends for if not to get drunk with?”

Friendship?” Ren offered uncertainly, but Aron rolled his eyes and let out a weary sigh.

Seungah laughed at the boy's melodrama and offered a hand. “I'll drink with you, hoobae. If you can promise not to embarrass me when it goes to your head.”

“Hoobae?” he repeated sadly while looking at the girl's smiling face. “It's like I don't have any friends any more.”

“Maybe that's because you're being a drama queen,” suggested Ren.

“Oh just go away, if you're only here to make fun of me. Get out there and socialise, Seungah and I will take care of these shots.”

“But socialising is scary,” Ren said in a mockery of a childish fear as he got up from his seat.

“He's right, though,” Baekho cut in with his two cents. “Maybe we'll have more fun talking to others. Let's see if there's anyone we know here.”

...

The decision was soon regretted. They were recognised by several people whose names they had difficulty placing, and who proceeded to tell their whole life stories to jog the boys' memories. After what seemed like an eternity of boring conversation with friends of friends they really did not care so much for, they were both rudely and mercifully interrupted by a stumbling Aron. He leant heavily on Baekho's shoulder as he regarded them both smilingly. From the corner of his eye, Ren had observed Aron had been true to his words what concerning embarrassment found in dancing. His spatial orientation was clearly wrecked, and he seemed to have difficulty standing up straight unassisted.

“Having fun?”


Ren rolled his eyes. “Tremendously. I am greatly amused being surrounded by people I don't know and don't feel comfortable enjoying myself around if I could.”

“That's great.” Aron grinned, as if he had either not been listening or had not understood a word Ren just said. “Hey, have you guys seen Seungah?”

“Wasn't she with you?” Baekho offered.

Aron's eyebrows furrowed together. “Yeah, she was. Like, a few minutes ago. She was laughing at me, and kept trying to keep me from falling over. Said I was a dumb .” He frowned. “Ah, she's a , but we have fun, though. We're cool. We're cool.”

“Didn't you just leave her behind?”

“Nah, really. I came over here because I wondered where she went, she was just gone all of a sudden.”

“I haven't seen Woori and Jisook for a while either,” Baekho said thoughtfully.

Ren huffed. “They probably disappeared off somewhere together, they do that more often.”

He felt a very unkind pang of annoyance for his friends for even making him come here, which he was immediately ashamed of.

Nonetheless, he felt the need to project his ruined night outward and blame it on something other than his own negative attitude of late.

Oh wait, I remember something,” Aron began, sounding very proud of himself for having recalled this. “There was this girl. I didn't know her, but Seungah acted all friendly with her. And she said she was gonna go outside to smoke, and Seungah said she was gonna go with her to catch up and stuff. I don't remember her actually leaving, though.”

Then she should be back any minute,” Baekho said.

Ren had had it. “I'm not gonna stick around to see. I want to go home.”

Same here, I've not been this uncomfortable in a long time. Aron, we're leaving. It was nice seeing you.”
Aron waved at them and tried to pretend he wasn't about to topple over by leaning on the bar in what he thought was a casual manner.

“Are you sure you can get home on your own?” Ren wondered. “I know you only live upstairs, but will you be able to find that?”

“Dude, I am totally a-okay, trust me.” He stuck two thumbs up and grinned at them. “As long as I can get to the elevator I will be fine. I definitely remember where I live.” He paused. “Yeah, definitely,” he added, less certain than before.

“Very well then,” Ren said with questionable closure. “Good night.”

On their way out, both of them tried their best to spot any of their other friends in order to be able to say goodbye, but had no luck recognising any familiar faces among the crowd. After insisting with the wardrobe girl that they had left nothing behind and that she didn't have to go check for them, they scanned their wrist bands at the exit. The display informed them that if they left now their temporary permission for entry would be nullified and they'd not be allowed back in. They didn't mind, they had no intention of returning.

Stepping out into the cool night air Baekho let out a deep sigh. “God, it was stifling in there. Must be because it's so crowded.”

Ren shook his head absent-mindedly and realised he couldn't really hear what his friend had been saying. “My head feels... fuzzy, all of a sudden. Really fuzzy. Like it's heavy and full of down.”
Baekho raised an eyebrow. “Maybe because of the sudden change of environment. It's so quiet out here compared to that place.”

He spread his arms to illustrate, and drew attention to the near desertedness of the street around them, only a handful of people stood outside under the street lights talking quietly.

Again, Ren had not really heard what Baekho was saying to him, but he thought it appropriate to nod. He looked around him and then felt his eyes inexplicably drawn towards a girl standing by herself a few feet away, just outside of the light. He had seen her somewhere before. Having a hard time distinguishing any features besides the high ponytail she wore, he could not yet place where, though. Hesitantly, he took a stumbling step forward. He needed to know. His limbs weren't working as well as usually, he noticed. Walking was difficult.

“Ren? What's wrong?” Ren's eyes had glazed over with a sort of dull incomprehension and a faint smile appeared on his face.

“That girl,” he replied. “I need to know who she is.” Baekho followed his gaze, and just then the girl looked up and moved closer. Baekho recognised her by the shininess of her shorts. She was one of Jisook's friends, who had intercepted her early in the night, and she had the same empty, thoughtless expression as Ren.
Baekho had seen that only once before.

Ren!” he said brusquely, and grabbed the other boy's wrist to prevent him from moving away. It took surprising effort to spin him around. Ren had more strength in him than one would think.

Making a whiny noise, Ren tried to pull free. “I want to go.”

“No. Ren, listen to me. This is bad,” he became irritated by Ren's inability to see the severity of the situation. “It's the Lurkers, we need to get out of here.”

“I want to go,” came his repetitive response.

“They're doing it to you again, we need to go home right now!” He shook Ren by the shoulders but elicited no reaction. “And that girl, she's...” he turned to confirm his suspicion, that she was, somehow, like Ren, vulnerable to the influence. She was nowhere to be found. Baekho felt a lump in his throat. She was right there, just a few seconds ago. He hadn't even heard any movement, how could she have...?

Then, a determined tug at his hands from Ren trying to break free demanded his attention, and he made a decision he had never expected from himself. I don't care what happens to that girl. I don't even know her. As long as we're safe.

Not concerned of whether he'd bruise him, whether the other people outside were left as sitting targets or whether he could've done anything to help them, he just tightened his grip on Ren's arm, and ran.


Author's Note: I wasn't lying last time, I really was on track. But this rain and night frost of late have made me ill, and that's my excuse this time. OTL
For what it's worth, developments are under way. I'll actually be revealing some things next chapter. Stuff will be going down.