Epilogue

Dark Wings

Author's Note: I updated the two last chapters in one go, don't forget to read the final chapter before this one. ;)


The street was silent that night, silent and dark.
There was no one to be seen outside, no one but Ren, ambling along the deserted streets to his former home. Above him, the stars were beautiful. He can't remember the last time it had been dark enough to be able to see them, but tonight they were there like radiant angels watching over him from above.

Indeed, there must be some of the others, the older ones, up there keeping watch, though he could not see them. They had wings. He'd get them eventually, too, but all in due time. He had seen the wings of the others, they were beautiful. He couldn't wait.

His wristband opened the gate to the student's apartments and the display discouraged him from leaving the building again, even at daylight, until the current situation was resolved. As per usual, no explanation was given of what that situation meant. It would not be desirable to upset the civilians.

He moved up the stairwell, where the occasional light still bravely shone on unbroken. That wouldn't last much longer, not at such a prime location. Not that it was of his concern.
Ren was still young, the light did not yet hurt enough to keep him at a distance. It merely ached, like it used to ache when Mother invaded his mind. It was a relief she no longer felt the need to, that she had the certainty he loved her like all her children did.

Certainty was nice, he reckoned. Even if the outcome isn't always what you wanted to hear, knowing was a freedom. It felt good knowing most of the people he loved were with Mother now, sleeping. That he would know soon whether he'd lost them or not. It felt good knowing she would accept any one else he brought along. She'd give them all a chance, that's just how kind she was.

He should visit Jisook before he returns. He made a mental note of it. After all, he had promised himself he would spend more time with her, it would be cruel not to keep that promise.

 

First things first, he was here to get his belongings. The door to his apartment accepted his wristband as unresisting as always, not scrutinising his alterations the way a human guard might have. It was dark inside, but things were fine that way. He was already beginning to notice he could see better than he had in the stairwell, he was adapting.

On the way over to his room, he was stopped by a sound coming from under a chair. Soft-footed near inaudible movement that he would not have been able to detect in the past. But there was Mouse.

He got down on his knees, and peered down underneath the chair. Mouse sat there, eyes glowing, shivering feebly. The poor thing hadn't been fed since they left him behind. He must be starving. Ren reached out a hand, but was only clawed at in response, an angry hiss telling him where they stood.

“Don't be like that Mousey,” he cooed, absent-mindedly considering how cat would taste. Too lean, probably, too sinewy. Not as good as other prey he had available. Still a pet, then.

“She'll take you too, you know.” He smiled at the animal, hoping not to convince it but only to distract it long enough. Then he flung the chair across the room with a quick slap of the hand and grasped the cat with the other.

“We can all be family now.” With that, he forcefully cradled his terrified pet in his arms and took it into the darkness.

The End.


Author's Note: I keep you all waiting so long for the conclusion, and then I end with such an unhappy ending. I'm sorry, the bad guys win, I never said I was going to be kind with this. Feel free to yell at me. :)
If anyone is interested, Mother is supposed to be Echidna from Greek mythology, the aptly named Mother of all Monsters who gave us such classic monsters as the Hydra, Chimera, Cerberus and arguably also the Gorgon sisters, including Medusa. Lurkers were not based on any mythical beast in particular, but were born a little out of Echidna's tendencies to live underground in the dark, her bloodlust and her fabled wings.

And Mouse did not die. Everyone else's fate I will leave open to interpretation, but the cat, I can assure you, lives.