It's Been A Long Time

To Be With You

(my apologies!  i've been working to meet a deadline so i was unable to do the things i really wanted, work on my fic and post chapters.)

“Oh-rae-man-i-da.  Uh-ttuh-sae-yo, Ji-won ah?” 

(It’s been a long time.  How are you doing, Ji-won?) 

Ji-won took in a deep breath and wasn’t sure if she was ready to turn around.  She hoped it was her date, but Seung-ri didn’t mention how much he had told this guy about her.  How did he know she couldn’t drink?  She tucked a strand of hair behind her left ear and slowly stood up.  She put on a smile, turned around, and extended her hand. 

“An-nyong-ha-ship-ssi-yo.  I’m doing very—” The last couple of words got stuck in as she realized who it was.  Her heart lurched out of her chest and got tangled with the words still struggling to escape her lips. 

“O-oppa.”  She whispered it as though the word was one forbidden on her lips.  A twinge of pain penetrated her chest from a wound she had thought long ago was healed. 

He grabbed her hand but rather than shake it, he pulled her in for a hug.  Her whole body tensed because she wasn’t really ready for a handshake, better yet a hug. Ji-won only extended it out of courtesy and hadn’t been able to retract her hand for the same reason.  She wasn’t ready to see him again.  

Her body melded with his as soon as his arms embraced her; it was like they had never been apart.  She breathed in deeply to calm her heart but also to take in a scent that for so long had been absent.  Tears began to pool and were going to fall any minute now.  She really wasn’t ready to see him again.  She tried her best to keep the tears at bay but some still managed to stain his jacket. Ji-won thought to herself how unfair it was that after so many years he could still make her feel this way. 

“It’s been so long!  I can’t even remember how long it’s been!” he exclaimed. 

“Three years,” she stated matter of factly.  Three years, ten months, and twenty-four days exactly.

Ji-won pried herself from him and put on the best smile she could.  He looked down at her with sparkling brown eyes.   Oppa looked more handsome than when she last saw him.  His tux was white, it was so like him to stand out from the crowd, and he had a black bow tie.  He had grown his hair out and combed it to the side.  She had the urge to brush his bangs from his eyes but restrained herself.  It wasn’t the same anymore.  That was another time and another place in her life.  

For an hour and a half, Seung-ri had paced back and forth, from corner to corner, looking for the table Ji-won was sitting at.  If what Yoo-na had told him was true, Ji-won must be crushed.  He didn’t want her to think her date had not shown up.  The lights were dimmed down leaving the room nearly dark and all the ushers had disappeared.  He had been forced to listen to the last hour of the awards standing up, which was not ideal being the dress shoes had not been worn in yet.  His feet were killing him! 

When the lights came on and the string orchestra, along with a piano, began to play, he was finally able to survey the room for Ji-won.  From a distance, he saw Hyo-ri, Ji-won’s co-worker whom he always picked up the mail from when Ji-won was out with her swollen nose.  He began walking towards the table as fast as he could, avoiding chairs, tables, and people if he could.  

What was he going to say to her?  Would she see him in a different light?  Would she still see him as a little kid?  Would she overlook that he lied about finding her a date?  These and a hundred other different questions were running through his mind along with another different hundred answers Ji-won might give him.  He had never sweated this much over a girl before.  Usually they were running marathons for him and not the other way around.  

He stopped dead in his tracks when he was no more than an arm’s length away from her.  She was caught up in an embrace with a man who did not look like her father, could not be her brother, and was not anyone he knew.  His heart dropped just a little further down than where it had already been.  He quickly turned around so she would not see him.  

Who was this person? 

He didn’t recall her ever telling him about a boyfriend or even someone she was remotely interested in.  Rather than walk away, he sat down at the nearest table making sure he was only half facing them and still within hearing distance. 

Seung-ri saw her rubbing her hands behind her back.  He saw how they trembled and continued to wonder how this person could have such a profound effect on her. 

“O-oppa, when did you get here?” she hoped her voice did not tremble like her hands. 

“I’ve been here about two weeks.  My friends invited me to the reception.” 

“How did you know I was here?” 

“When your name was mentioned at the end, I remembered you had always wanted to work in the sector and thought maybe it was you.” 

“Oh.  Well, it was really good to see you again.  I’m going to go—” 

“You can’t leave yet.  Let’s dance.” 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea. I’m not feeling—” 

“Nonsense.  I haven’t seen you in so long.  I want to catch up.” 

He reached behind her back and grabbed her hand.  She unwillingly submitted to his request.  When Ji-won looked up she thought she saw someone familiar looking at her but when she blinked again there was no one there.  

Seung-ri left not wanting Ji-won to see him.  He was disappointed in a way he didn’t know was possible.  

Is this how it feels to get your heart broken?he wondered.  He grabbed a glass of white wine from a passing serving tray and swallowed it with one gulp.  Slamming the glass down on the nearest table, he turned around and scanned the dance floor for Ji-won but was confronted by Yoo-na instead.

“Oppa, where’s unnie?  Didn’t you find her!?”  Yoo-na looked like a woman about to commit murder.  

“Yoo-na, who’s that with her?” 

“I can’t tell.  I can’t see his face very well.  Did you even talk to her?”

“No.  She was a little busy.”  Seung-ri walked away from Yoo-na with shoulders that drooped lower than when he first entered the building. 

Yoo-na kept staring at who Ji-won was dancing with and finally figured it out.  By the time she could identify him, Seung-ri was already gone.  

His hand was lightly placed on the small of her back.  For Ji-won they were standing too close and the room started to grow smaller and smaller.  It was getting a littler harder for her to breathe.  

“Are you okay?” he whispered into her ear.  

The hair along her neck started to rise and a shiver went down her spine.  They had only been dancing for a second but she wanted to remove herself from his presence.  She had imagined that when they saw each other again, she would be comfortable around him and he would not be able to affect her in any way.  

“I think I’m going to sit down.  I’m feeling a little light headed.” 

“Yeah, yeah.  Let’s go.  Where do you want to sit down?” he sounded so concerned about her and did not realize that it was his touch, his voice, his entire presence that was making her uneasy.  

They walked off the dance floor but his arm never left her side.  He pulled her in even closer to him.  For Ji-won it made it all the worse that he refused to let her go.  She was afraid to lean on his shoulder and just kept on walking. 

From a distance, Seung-ri watched how this man held Ji-won so tenderly.  His expression showed he was truly concerned about how she was feeling, and Ji-won was looking pale.  From out of nowhere Yoo-na appeared and swatted his hand away so she could place her hand on Ji-won’s back instead.  She led Ji-won away.  The stranger followed as if being pulled by a leash but midway was intercepted by another woman and he stopped to have a conversation.  The man kept looking wasn’t paying attention to the woman very well and kept his gaze in Ji-won’s direction.  

“Ji-won, are you okay?” Yoo-na whispered into her ear. 

“No, I can’t be here.  I’m shaking.  Get a cab for me.  Why didn’t you tell me he was here?  Weren’t you doing the guest check in?”  Ji-won sounded a little scared and was very panicked.  

“He must have been someone’s guest.  His name wasn’t anywhere on the list.  I didn’t even know he was back.” 

“Let’s go.”  

Both Ji-won and Yoo-na hurried toward the ballroom doors.  Seung-ri spotted them and set down his fourth glass of wine.  He started to go after them but was stopped by a hand looking to shake his. 

“Seung-ri!  I didn’t know you were going to be here!  You should have told me I could have told your father to save you a seat.” 

“Manager Heo.  I didn’t expect to make it but came at the request of a friend.” 

“Oh, who?  You should introduce us.  We’re always looking for organizations to partner with.” 

“I have to go find her.  You’ll have to excuse me.  Give my father my regards.” 

“Yes, of course.” 

Seung-ri ran out into the lobby but there was no one in sight.  He saw the women’s restroom and peeked inside but no one was in there.  He ran to the double glass doors leading outside just in time to see a cab speed off.  When Yoo-na turned around, Seung-ri was blocking her way to get back inside. 

“Yoo-na!  Is she okay?” 

“I think she will be.  Where did you go?  I was looking for you.” 

“Who was it that was dancing with her?” 

“Where were you when she needed you?” Yoo-na asked, “I was looking for you.” 

“Who was he?” 

“Choi Seung-hyun.”