11. ...Tae-yang

To Be With You

An hour later, she found herself waiting in line to ride a rollercoaster.  She had looked forward to spending the rest of the night alone, but had it not been for Tae-yang’s little sister who pleaded that if she didn’t go Tae-yang would ruin her first date, Ji-won would not have considered the invitation at all.  She remembered what that was like.        

She had never ridden on a rollercoaster before and wasn’t sure why tonight she was being so fearless.  She wasn’t even sure why she had let Tae-yang talk her into coming along with him on the ride; he seemed to make her do unusual things.  Usually just getting in line, even when she was just waiting with someone, made her heart pound, but tonight was different.  There was nothing holding her back, even the terrified screams of young children had not been enough to shake her.

They were next in line and she grabbed hold of his hand, “If you feel something warm on your seat, don’t worry.  It’s probably just because I peed in my pants.”

Tae-yang laughed and squeezed her hand.  They felt warm against his and he liked how she clung to his arm.  Last night’s thought was still bothering him and he didn’t know what he was doing when he asked her to accompany him, his little sister and her date to the amusement park.  He hadn’t even planned on going to the amusement park after the movie.      

“Omygoshomygoshomygoshomygosh.”  Ji-won was starting to panic now. People began to step out of the carts, and Tae-yang was trying to push her inside. 

“I don’t think I’m–– ”  Ji-won tried to walk off but Tae-yang wouldn’t let go of her hand.  Instead, he pulled her back and, with a shove, forced her into the cart.  The rail bar came down and locked her in place.    

The creak of the rails, that was the part that scared Ji-won most about riding a rollercoaster.  The creaks told her the rollercoaster was old and it wouldn’t be safe to get on.  They told her she was in for the ride of her life and maybe she might not make it back.  Most of all, the creaks told her they were moving and she couldn’t back out anymore. 

Into the dark tunnel they went and when she could just begin to see the bright lights of the other rides, the velocity increased and her heart nearly fell out of chest.  Being too terrified, Ji-won couldn’t open her eyes.  She only kept screaming into Tae-yang’s chest, who laughed the entire time and was getting a kick out of what was happening to her.  Every time they went into a loop, she felt like she was going to fall off her seat because there were moments when she was in midair and no part of her was touching her seat.  That one minute of her life felt like it would never pass but when she opened her eyes and finally stopped screaming, Tae-yang was pulling on her hands, trying to lift her out. 

“You’re such a baby.”  

“No, I’m not.” 

“Let’s go on another one.” 

“Uh, let’s not.” 

She held onto his arm to remain steady for a bit after the ride.  Because of the slight breeze, he was tempted to put his arms around her but wasn’t sure how she would feel about it.  When she finally let go, he was a little disappointed but figured the night wasn’t over yet.  

“So what movie did you watch?” Ji-won asked. 

“Il Mare.” 

Ji-won let out a slight gasp in surprise, “What?  Noooo.”    

“I did.  I was right behind you.” 

“What?” 

“Yeah.  You practically cried yourself out of tissues.” 

“Shut up.”  Ji-won rolled her eyes at him and smiled.  

They strolled at a leisurely pace while Tae-yang’s sister Yuri and her date walked in front with clasped hands.  The stars were covered by clouds tonight but lights from the several rides lit up the evening.  She couldn’t remember the last time she had visited a theme park.     

Watching Yuri gave Ji-won butterflies in her stomach, she hadn’t felt those in a while, not since Seung-hyun.  The best part of a new relationship was that feeling of nervousness, of so many wings beating at once, of first love.  It was strange to be here with someone she really didn’t know very well and have such a feeling.  

“What are you smiling about?” Tae-yang asked. 

“Am I smiling?” 

“Yeah, practically blinding me.” 

“It’s stupid,” she kicked at the ground, “I’m just thinking about how weird it is to be here with you and my stomach getting all fluttery because your little sister is in love.” 

“No, don’t say that.” 

“What?  That you’re little sister’s in loooove?” 

“Yeah.” 

“Just look at her.  If my stomach is a little fluttery from watching her, she must have a million butterflies in her’s.  They’re holding hands and, wait, look how she looks up at him every couple of minutes with a giant smile on her face.  Aw, he just put his arm around her.” 

“You mean like this?”  Unexpectedly, Tae-yang wrapped his arm around her as well and then intertwined his fingers with her’s.  Her heart skipped a beat, almost.  

“Stop being stupid.”  Ji-won pushed him and he pretended like he was going to fall over.  She was much too used to his childish antics now.  

“Let’s go ride that!  Oppa, hurry!”  Yuri yelled at Tae-yang.  Ji-won and Tae-yang had fallen a little behind after Ji-won had shoved him.  

Ji-won looked up to see another enormous roller coaster, this one much larger than the last one.  She stopped before the entrance to take in the several loops and how steep the drop was.  She gulped and tried to find an excuse, anything for her to be able to back out of this ride.       

Realizing he had left her behind, Tae-yang came back to drag her along with him.  He saw reluctance written all over her face but refused to let her sit this one out.  What fun would it be if he was all alone without anyone screaming into his ear? 

Fortunately, or unfortunately for Ji-won, the line was non-existent.  She had no time to back out because as soon as they went inside, they were already in their seats.  Before they started moving, she had already braced herself: eyes shut, head bent, and hands around Tae-yang’s arm.  

“Unnie, it’s so pretty!” Yuri exclaimed when they slowly inched forward.   

The curious person that she was, she mistakenly opened her eyes only to be hit in the face with the oncoming burst of cold air created by the now speeding carts.  She saw the approaching loop, closed her eyes and screamed.  There was no longer time to dwell on what was pretty; she needed to concentrate on the impending drop that came after the loop. 

Again, Tae-yang was steadying her.  This one had left her with more detrimental effects than the last.  was becoming raw from screaming and she nearly bit her tongue off because she had been trying to close on the way down from the drop.   He led her to the next ride, something more calm and didn’t require any kind of screaming.

The cable car ride was still nearly thirty feet off the ground but it only went a small number of inches rather than miles a minute as compared to the roller coasters.  They sat down and she peered over the edge to see the beautiful array of colored lights.  She assumed that’s probably what Yuri had been referring to.  An awkward silence separated Ji-won and Tae-yang from their usual teasing and playfulness, something they weren’t very much used to. 

Up ahead, Yuri was sitting in the cart with her head on her date’s shoulder.  His head was bent as though they were telling each other secrets. Ji-won wondered what Yuri was thinking and she let out a sigh. 

He was also conscious of her hand placed between them on the seat.  It was frustrating him because everything that was happening, well, he wouldn’t have predicted any of this.  He placed his hand next to her’s.     

“Tae-yang,” Ji-won said suddenly breaking the silence.  She hadn’t been able to stand it any longer.  

He was startled and inadvertently shook their seat; however, to his advantage, Ji-won scooted a little closer to him. 

“Don’t do that.  Just because it’s not fast doesn’t mean I’m not scared.  I’m afraid of heights, you know.”  

“Sorry,” Inside, he beamed unapologetically, “Noona, are you cold?” 

“No. I’m okay.”

Silence.  

“By the way, thanks for last night.  I really needed someone to talk to.”  

“It’s okay.  You really didn’t talk that much.” 

“Whew!  That’s good to know,” she laughed, just a little nervously “I can’t really remember what went on last night.  I had been looking for Seung-ri.”  The ride seemed to drag on and on.     

Again, he recalled his last thought before he fell asleep in her apartment last night.   Was he ready for the possible repercussions of his actions?  Seung-ri suddenly appeared before him but he didn’t want to listen to his conscience tonight.  

Silence came between them again.  Not knowing what else to say, Ji-won turned her face to peer at the night sky.  The clouds had subsided and the stars were out.  It was a shame they weren’t a little higher so she could see more stars.  The lights from the park made the stars appear dim.  She breathed in the cool air. 

When she turned to look at Tae-yang again, he was closer to her.  His face, only inches away.  She could feel his breath run down her neck; it made her shiver just little.  He was leaning a little too close for comfort.  Not sure what else to do, she surprised him, and even herself, when she kissed him.  He pulled back, startled. 

“Mmm.  Cherry pie,” she said. 

She could be so unpredictable.  Tae-yang was unsure about how to react to this.  He didn’t know if she had committed this action as a joke or if she was serious, and then she laughed.  

“It’s not nice when someone steals a kiss is it?” she asked and smirked.  He laughed but turned away to hide his face from her.

* * * * *

He wanted to walk her up to the apartment but Ji-won had refused.  Instead, sitting in the car with his sister, he watched her walk away.       

“Oppa.” 

“Yeah.”

“I like her.”

“I think I like her too.”