Me, Myself and ...

To Be With You

(**author's note** i might or might not change the chapter...the story has taken on a life of its own, as it usually does and this chapter suddenly appeared.  nothing ever works out as planned.  lemme know what you think! :D) 

Seung-ri insisted on coming with her but Ji-won had refused.  Today was a day all to herself, a day for recollection, for reenergizing herself, to escape from reality after last night’s events.  She wasn’t sure what was more painful: seeing Seung-hyun again, getting stood up, or the hangover Tae-yang left her with this morning.   

Unfortunately, she didn’t have much of the day left though.  Because of her second ever hangover, coincidentally her first had also been caused by Tae-yang, she slept most of the day and thankfully in her own bed, unlike that last time.    By the time she woke up, it was already past noon and the decision to have the day all to herself was made in bed while hurled over the edge, vomiting into her garbage can.  She didn’t want any more days like this.  

In an orange t-shirt and black windbreakers, she stood outside the movie theater holding her ticket.  Today Ji-won would finally be able to see “Il Mare” on the big screen.  It was a flashback movie event and she didn’t even know about it until she was in front of the line paying the cashier.  The first time she had attended a movie by herself, she was a little bit embarrassed.  She forgot which movie it was she had wanted to see, but she remembered the difficulty of trying to ensure a convenient time for everyone so she had decided to go alone.  It had been such a freeing experience: no small talk, unnecessary whispering, no trying to ensure everyone was comfortable and so forth.  She only had herself to be mindful of and so every now and then she would go to a movie by herself.  The only fall back was when she had to use the restroom before a movie started; sometimes when she returned, her seat would be taken. 

“Theater five is to the right.” 

“Thank you.” 

It wasn’t until the middle of the movie, as it normally was when she was at home, that loneliness seeped in.  Maybe that was why she connected so well with this film.  Like Jeon Ji-hyun’s character, she had chosen to stay but didn’t realize she would be left behind.  Being such a work-a-holic she never thought much about being alone.  She didn’t mind the loneliness until she was reminded of it and maybe that was why she could watch the movie over and over again.  It was the romantic thought that two people would find each other through space and time.  It allowed her to be in touch with the reality of her situation­–love hurts not because it ends but because it goes on–and at the same time, it allowed her believe in something better out there.  As the screen dimmed and the lights came on, Ji-won knew, she would feel be back to herself soon, and only the slightest twinge of pain would be left behind. 

She stepped outside and let out a sigh.  Ji-won didn’t think she would ever tire of this film.  She watched it at least once a year but now watching it at home would never be the same.  Looking into her backpack, she was trying to dig out her phone and turn it back on to see if she had received any messages when she became aware of a body beside her, of someone standing too close.  Slowly she lifted her head. 

“What are you doing?” 

“Oh my gosh!  It’s just you?” Ji-won slapped his arm, “Why are you standing so frigging close to me?  I was about to start shouting for help.” 

Tae-yang had been in the theatre with her the whole time but she hadn’t noticed him.  He wasn’t following her.  He didn’t even know she would be there but he ended up sitting right in back of her because his little sister wanted him to sit as far away as possible.  She had begged and pleaded for him not to come along but no way was she going anywhere with some guy he didn’t know.  Plus, if he didn’t go, their parents wouldn’t have let her go either.  When they got there, she had wanted to watch Il Mare because her best friend at school had told her it was a great film and perfect for a first date.  

“Oppa, I don’t want to go home yet.  It’s only seven,” his sister pleaded. 

“Let’s go to the amusement park.”  The words came out of his mouth before he realized it and his sister’s jaw dropped. 

“Okay!” she quickly replied before he could change his mind. 

“I’ll see you later,” Ji-won told him and waved. 

“Wait, why don’t you come with us?”  Tae-yang asked. 

“No, I’m going to grab a cup of coffee.” 

“Uh-Unnie!”