02 - UNWARRANTED

U N W A R R A N T E D

 


. C H A P T E R   T W O .


 

Sunye straddles over her bike enthusiastically, ideas and hormones overflowing in her mind. It’s as if she’s just found something she’d always been looking for, the ‘eureka!’ feeling never wanting to leave her.

She heads to the grocery store reassuringly, as if knowing what to do exactly. After lingering over a number of isles a couple of times, she finally sets for the baking ingredients isle and collects the stuff she’s come for: some flour, baking soda, a couple of eggs, and a sachet of vanilla extract. She then pays for it in the counter, and heads straight back home with her bike.

Sunmi welcomes her with a crooked brow. “What has gotten into you? You left me without even telling.”

“Just… an idea. A brilliant one.” She replies, heading straight into the kitchen without even looking at her sister. She begins setting the ingredients on the kitchen counter, one ingredient and utensil over another.

“Well?” Sunmi interrupts, still confused over her sister’s sudden enthusiasm. “Mind telling me what this brilliant idea is now?”

“I’m baking a cake.”

“Yeah! I can see that now.  I mean – why are you baking so suddenly?”

“For the lady in that house.” Sunye replies bluntly.

“Wha-?” Taken aback by her sister’s reply, Sunmi storms into the kitchen, stomping her feet. “Are you crazy?! You might get yourself killed in that house! She’s a creep!”

“You are the one who’s crazy here. You barely know her, and you’re judging her right away. You don’t even know her name, for pete’s sake.” Sunye argues, clearly upset about her sister’s stubborn attitude. “You should stop acting like a kid. She’s our neighbor. She’s new. We should make her feel welcomed.”

“Park Yeeun.” Sunmi mutters, silently this time, as if accepting defeat in the argument. “Her name is Park Yeeun. She’s about your age. She owns a cat. Though I don’t know its name yet.”

Sunye shakes her head, slightly laughing. “You are such a stalker.”

“What? She’s kind of interesting.” Sunmi replies in defense. “I went to ask some of our neighbors. They told me about her cat. But she barely comes out of her house. I don’t even know how she lives without ever letting sunlight touch her skin.” She grudges. “Oooh maybe she’s a vampire!” She starts again, putting back the childish expression on her face.

Sunye bursts into laughter. “Will you stop it already. Now you’re going crazy.”

“Whatever. Do what you want to do. I’ll go over the library for our group study. I’ll be back at six.” Sunmi butts off, nudging herself away from her sister.

“Your’e not going anywhere.” Sunye says bluntly, ordering Sunmi to stay.

“What now?”

“It’s winter break, what group study are you talking about? You’re going with me. To that house. We’ll give her our house warming gift together.” Sunye merely smiles over her sister’s frowning face.

Knowing she can never get away from her bright sister, Sunmi sinks in the couch, mimicking Sunye’s expressions. “I hate you.” She mutters.

“Hey I heard that!” Sunye shouts from the kitchen. “Let’s give her flowers too! Go get some from the garden!”

Sunmi rolls her eyes, stomping her feet into the garden.

 

o0o0o0o

 

By the time they reached the door room she knew she would never be able to do it. It felt rather odd to her, hesitating even for a bit. She’d been in this job for almost three years now, but this time it felt utterly wrong. Had she drowned into the deep eyes she’d looked into earlier before even managing to nudge herself away from its vastness?

A shudder runs through her spine, as she glances over the shoulder of the man in front of her, the curves of his side profile looking so perfectly shaped.  It's a feeling she's never able to explain at the moment.

The door clicks to open after he swipes the card key in, and she finds herself taking a step back, as if hesitating for a moment.

“After you.” Chansung waves with a smile, signaling her to come in, and she follows his direction hesitantly.

“Thank you.” She mutters silently, still with hesitation. It’s as if she’d turned into this totally different person the moment she looked into those eyes. And the mere thought of it sickens her.

He takes off his coat and hangs it on the chair in front of the dresser before turning to her direction. “Relax…” He laughs, softly. “You look… nervous.”

“I’m sorry. I’m-“

“Don’t worry.” Chansung cuts her off with a smile. “I’m not gonna touch you.”

She sighs at his remark, though not sure whether to feel relieved or offended. Was she not the type of girl he liked? She wonders with confusion.

Chansung sees this, and continues, “Ohh, not that I don’t like you… It’s just that…” He looks away, as if searching for the right words. “Well, I’m not that kind of guy. At least not what Jaebum wants me to be.”

Her lips curl at both ends, words trying to escape them. Heat rushes into her stomach, eventually rising through her cheeks. She shakes them off, straightening her back. “Oh, then what do you want to do?”

He sits there in silence, as if figuring out himself. “Well, I don’t know really.” He shakes his head. “Though I am feeling kind of hungry. Do you want to order some food?” Before she can even respond, he reaches for the telephone on the coffee table and dials room service.

She looks at him as he talks on the telephone. How can someone look so perfect and real at the same time? Maybe it was a little too early to tell, but at least now she knows he’s different from all the guys who looks at her, and treats her like an object of pleasure. Somehow she’d forgotten how it felt being treated like… a girl, until that moment when he looked at her in the eyes, and asked if she was okay. Right then, she can hear herself scream inside with regret. “I’m not okay. I’ve never been okay.”

He puts the phone down, looking at her. “So…” He interrupts her thoughts. “What’s your name?”

A pang of mixed emotions sets right through her chest. She finds herself searching for her name. It’s been a long time since a guy asked what her name was. Even she, herself had somehow forgotten who she was.

She manages a smile, a hint of loneliness still somehow showing in it. “Fei..” She mutters. “My name is Wang Fei Fei.” She says again, now a bit clearer.




 

. A U T H O R  N O T E S .

This came out a bit earlier. But I just can't wait to reveal more of the plot. And besides, summer break is ending soon. So I might start updating real fast. Yes, Fei is a part of this fic. Plus some other JYP Nation artists! Stay tuned and spread the word! :)