01 - UNWARRANTED

U N W A R R A N T E D

. C H A P T E R   O N E .


 

“There’s your girl.”

Chansung hisses, shaking his head in disbelief. The girl walks into his direction, her chestnut-brown hair fluttering slowly and smoothly, as if teasing him with every step she took. She had nothing on her but a loose white draping of some sort, the edge of its hem brushing over her flawless olive skin. “I’m telling you, I’m not doing this, Jaebum.” He retorts, as if rejecting the offer in an instant.

“Aww come on!” Jaebum drawls. “It’s your birthday, can you at least, just for one night, stop being a jerk and act cool?”

Chansung looks around, examining the crowd’s eager expression towards him. And just like that, he changes his mind. Jaebum was right in inviting all these people. He knew Chansung never wanted to feel humiliated in front of people. He dreaded humiliation. Who didn’t? Jay just needed the perfect timing, the perfect crowd to get Chansung finally sleep with a girl after his huge break up.

“Fine.” Chansung mutters, the cheering crowd almost cutting him off. “Just… cause it’s my birthday.” He rises from the couch, grabbing the girl’s hands. “Now may we peacefully exit and have some fun?” He looks at Jaebum with a teasing look. They head towards the door, people’s keen gazes following their direction.

“Now that’s what I’m talking about baby!” Jaebum whoops, along with the eager crowd around them.

“Have fun you guys!” Jaebum’s voice fades behind them, as Chansung closes the door, still holding the girl with his free hand.

“I’m sorry about that.” He points behind them, referring to the crazy crowd. “Are you okay?” He looks at her, and she finds herself staring into the deepest, darkest brown eyes she’d ever seen. And just like that, she fumbles.

“Ye.. Yes, I’m fine.” She nudges away from his gaze, careful not to drown in it.

“Let’s go upstairs.” He bluntly suggests, and she nonchalantly follows his lead, as if in an automatic manner.

 

o0o0o0o

 

“I’m telling you, she locks herself inside her house like crazy.”

Sunye rolls her eyes on the kid, though still glancing at the house from their window. “Sunmi, come on. Just let her be.”

“But it’s crazy! Sometimes I see her peering through her window as if she’s guarding or something.” Sunmi bickers, trying to convince her sister. “It’s starting to creep me out.”

“Isn’t that what we’re doing right now? Peering through our window like we’re spying?” Sunye insists, leaving Sunmi pouting with disappointment. “Maybe you should start minding your own business. She’s not doing anything wrong. Just leave her alone, will you?” She cusses at her childish sister and turns back to her still lifeless canvas.

She’s been working on it for two days now, but somehow it still looked empty. Not that any of her works felt something else. But she was a good artist, in fact one of the best in her class. It’s just that, her works somehow felt like… it lacked life. She was never able to find the perfect subject.

“I’m just saying… I think we should keep an eye on her… Besides, she looks… weird.” Sunmi continues, still not giving the subject up.

Sunye’s face lights up with amusement. Finally, an idea struck her empty mind. “Weird? What do you mean weird?” She looks up to Sunmi, as if gaining interest in the subject.

“I don’t know… She looks… different. You know, not normal. She dresses differently, puts up her hair in different ways each day. She even puts on a wig sometimes. It’s crazy really.” Sunmi grunts, tilting her head a little on the side, puzzled by the idea. “Though I kinda like her fashion. It’s like avant-garde but only-”

“Thank you!” Sunye cuts her off, abruptly squeezing her in a hug. “You are just… brilliant!”

“Well I kind of know that already, but- wait, why are you telling me this now?” Sunmi, taken aback by her sister’s sudden outburst, pulls herself away from the hug.

“At least now we know something useful comes out of your childish curiosities.” Still cheerful and hyped up, Sunye puts her coat on and heads outside, prodding into the hazy winter air.




 

. A U T H O R  N O T E S .

This is a very short chapter! But the next ones will be long, I promise, plus lots of characters and revelations. I wanna thank  junhonuneo for being helpful with the plotting and all. This fic will be a crazy one. Foreal, so stay tuned!