Tapsilog

Happy Virus

 

“Tapssi – what?” He asked my with a furrow of his eyebrows as he looked up at the sign and peered through the glass to look at the ever so busy staff attending to their hungry customers. “Tapsilog.” I reiterated patiently while I tugged at our joined hands to drag him along behind me as I made my way inside to greet the staff with a polite smile. I heard a thud and a grunt which I am positive meant that my very tall boyfriend hit his forehead once more at the low entryway towards the inside of the restaurant. I glanced back at my pouting boyfriend who was yet again nursing his forehead and reached out to brush his bangs away under his cap to find out if he attained a bruise or swell from the numerous times he hit his forehead by accident. I pinched his cheek right after, relieved that he didn’t seem to have any lasting injuries from all those times he hit his forehead and pecked his cheek to placate his grumpy self. “Come on, I’ll treat you to lunch, oppa.” I told him with a small smile and I sat at a table near the entrance, deciding against finding a table at the second  floor, knowing that it’s much more cramped there which would most assuredly leave Chanyeol uncomfortable since he’s so tall. I asked one of the diner’s staff to serve us two plates of tapsilog and I asked Chanyeol what he wanted to drink. “Do they have iced tea?” He asked me curiously since he barely understood a word I said to the waitress because I spoke in my native tongue, Tagalog. I nodded and ordered our drinks. Chanyeol quickly grabbed my hands after that and toyed it with his own slender fingers as we waited for our food to arrive. However as expected Chanyeol can’t last a long period of time without talking, and so I listened to him attentively as he fired question after question about Rodic’s Diner. “Well from what I know this has been here for a long time and I’ve always loved coming here when I was a student. The food is cheap but very delicious so I go here when I can for lunch. As you’ve noticed tapsilog is their most famous dish and that’s what I usually order. Hmmm… what’s a tapsilog? Well it’s actually a play of words. A combination of three words: tapa, sinangag and itlog. Meaning a dish consisting of stir fried marinated beef, egg and fried rice. It’s really good especially when you put vinegar in it.” I explained to him patiently, my eye observing our fingers intertwine in a twisted manner. He nodded in understanding but before he could interrogate me more about the place, the waitress I talked to awhile ago came back with a tray with two plates containing our orders and our drinks. She set them in front of us and I stood up from my seat to grab our utensils. I glared at Chanyeol when he stood up the same time I did without letting our fingers unclasp from its hold on each other. “Oppa.” I told him with a warning tone. He simply flashed you his boyish grin and held onto your hands tighter when you tried tugging it from his hold. “Nooooo…. I don’t want to!” He whined at you petulantly which made your ire increase. “So you don’t want to eat? The food’s getting cold.” I said to him, figuring out that scolding him won’t work but taunting him with food might. And as expected he quickly dropped my hands to grab us both a pair of utensils and to sit at his previous place in a flash with me still standing there with my hands dangling at my sides due to his sudden actions. “Jagiya~ what are you doing there? Let’s eat!” He called out to me excitedly, his lanky body bouncing on the poor hapless chair that tried to hold his weight. I slid on the seat across from him and accepted the pair of utensils he offered me and started to dig into my meal. I took a spoonful of it but stopped from bringing it to my mouth when I noticed him staring at the other table in amazement. “Oppa? What is it?” I asked him curiously, glancing at the direction of his gaze, only to land on two guys mixing their tapsilog together with vinegar and some hot sauce. “Do you want me to mix yours together?” I asked him amusedly to which he nodded enthusiastically, pushing his plate to me. I shook my head at his antics and put down my spoon to grab his own pair of utensils to mix the tapsilog together and inquired whether he wanted vinegar and hot sauce to go with it as well. “Yes please!” Chanyeol replied with a goofy smile, opening the caps of both our drink and taking a swig from his own after he set mine down next to my plate. After I finished mixing his food together, I offered it back to him and Chanyeol started scarfing down his food like a starved man. I wasn’t even halfway through when he placed his utensils down and sighed contentedly out loud. I looked up to see his clean plate and empty bottle of iced tea but I narrowed my eyes when I saw a hand creeping to my hand holding my spoon. I glanced at Chanyeol’s face only to see his face directed at my own unfinished meal and I groaned. “Don’t tell me you want some more?” I asked him bluntly as I moved my hand away from his. “But I’m still hungry jagiya~ can I have your food? I promise to treat you later!” He told me with a pout to his lips. Thank god, he was wearing a pair of sunglasses or else he’d be batting his eyelashes at me as well, an aegyo combo he learned from his hyung Xiumin. Chanyeol may be cute and quite handsome too but a guy batting his eyelashes at me is just so wrong on so many levels.

 

“Fine.” I grumbled as I pushed my plate to his direction and like before my boyfriend ate the tapsilog at the speed of light. “Ahhhh, so delicious.” Chanyeol told me with a pat to his full stomach while I took a swig from my own bottle of iced tea. My eyes narrowed at the non – existent bulge in his stomach and cursed him inwardly for being one of those types who can eat as much as they want without having to worry about their figure. Lucky bastard.