When my assignment turned to be something else...

Not Who I Used To Be...

Two weeks after Eun Bin called, Seung Ho texted Jiyeon that he can't be going with her to the orphanage because Eun Bin would be calling any time. So that Saturday morning, Jiyeon called IU. She asked her former bestfriend if she could come with her to the said place.

"Of course, I will do anything for my super-duper bestfriend! Suzy wanted to come too. Can I bring her along?"

"Sure! I'd be very happy to. And after that, we can go the mall afterwards."

"How about Seung Ho? Why isn't he coming with you?"

"Well, it's his and Eun Bin's anniversary, so he was waiting for her to call."

"Jinjja? I have a feeling that they'd be getting married after college!"

Jiyeon sighed when she heard the word marriage. She remembered that scene from the movie she and Jin Woon had watched a month ago. So, she just told IU that she'd be coming over her house and they all could go together to the orphanage.

***

T-ara's Eun Jung, when she's not resting at home, spends her time in the orphanage. She loves kids and she vowed that one day, she'll be opening an orphanage herself. So when the administrator told her that there will be some visitors coming,she was very happy. At least, Eun Jung could see that there are still people who sympathize with the children's plight.

"Annyeong hasaeyo," Jiyeon, IU and Suzy greeted the administrator and Eun Jung.

"Annyeong hasaeyo. Well, I understand your visit here pertains to observing abandoned kids, right?" The administrator asked Jiyeon. She nodded. Then the admin told her to come to the office. There are some policies she needed to observe regarding these kids, what to write and not write for her assignment. After the closed door meeting, Eun Jung led them to the play ground.

"Noona, I'm thirsty," A boy of seven approached Eun Jung. Behind him followed his four-year old brother. The latter set his eyes on Jiyeon and began to run to her.

"Ppali..carry me..." He said with his arms stretched to her. Jiyeon smiled as she saw him, and instantly carried him to her arms.

"Ohhhhh...you are so cute. What's your name, little boy?"

"His name is MAvin, and this here is his hyung Mason." Eun Jung explained. IU and Suzy went over to Mason too, who was drinking a bottle of water. Jiyeon had her fun time with Mavin.

"They were abandoned as kids, and so, the orphanage decided to take them here. We were hoping somebody would be kind enough to adopt them. Just last week, a couple by the last name of Moon took a look at the kids. They wanted to adopt them, but you know how paper works are. So I guess it'll take a long time before Mason and Mavin would finally get a new home." Eun Jung explained furthur.

"Really?? Oh, Mavin here is so cute. I wish I could adopt him myself..if only I have the money to support for his needs," Jiyeon said as she brushed Mavin's hair. The boy smiled to her and gave her a peck on her lips.

"Kyeopta! Ahhh...Mavin, I wish I could make you mine! You are just so adorable!"

"I love you, Noona," Mavin said.

When Eun Jung heard it, she spoke to Mavin. "Mavin-ah, you're still a kid. Don't say that word yet."

"Neh...but Noona is so beautiful. I wish she was my mom...and I wish Hyung would be my dad."

"Hyung?" Jiyeon asked Eun Jung.

"Ne. Jung Jin Woon-ssi often come here during his spare time to teach them soccer."

IU, Suzy and Jiyeon looked at each other. "Jin Woon Oppa comes here too?"

"Neh...do you know him?"

"He's my cousin, you see..that's why," IU explained. Jiyeon and Suzy remianed silent.

Eun Jung's face lit up. "Oh good! So my friends are relataed in any way! He'd be here shortly to teach them again."

Eun Jung just said the last words when Jin Woon arrived, carrying a duffel bag with him and a soccer ball. 

"Annyeong. I didn't expect to see you here," he said to IU, Jiyeon and Suzy. Then turning to Eun Jung, he greeted.

"Annyeong Eonnie. I see that you've been well. How's practice? How's the tour in Japan?"

"It's been good, thank you. Soyeon eonnie wanted to come here too, yet she had a cold, so she decided to rest."

Jin Woon then smiled to his favorite student. "How's Mason?"

"I'm fine, Hyung."

Then turning to Jiyeon, he spoke to Mavin. "Did you miss hyung?"

"Neh! And I wish you and Noona would be my parents."

Jin Woon's eyes widened as he coughed in disbelief. Noona would mean..Jiyeon?

"Mavin, you're still to young to talk about that. I wonder who fed you with such ideas." Jin Woon told the little kid.

IU and Suzy had to laugh. They didn't expect Mavin to be doing the dirty work for them. Jiyeon gave them a glaring look and told them to be quiet.

***

Jin Woon was busy teaching his students when Eun Jung accompanied Jiyeon to the other parts of the building where the other kids were. Some of the older kids were having a general cleaning. Some of them helped the younger ones in their small tasks.

"You see Jiyeon, these kids had to learn the reality earlier in life that they had been abandoned. Oftentimes, they have anger in them. One of them even wanted to get out. YEt, when time came when he will finally be adopted, he refused to leave. The kids get kind of confused as to what environment they should adapt to. Just last week, a couple had to return a kid after he was causing trouble at home. He said he missed his friends. But when the parents told him that they could visit his friends some other time, he was starting to break every china in the couple's house. "

The rest of the morning, Jiyeon observed the children and even had a small talk with a 12 year old girl named Kang Gyu Ri.

"I believe there's a purpose why I was brought here, eonnie. As much as I wanted to rant and get angry at my parents for leaving me, I cannot change that anymore. All I need to focus now is my studies and how I can be successful when I grow up. I'm very thankful for Eun Jung Eonnie and the other T-ara girls for making me strong and making me believe in my dreams."

"What would you want to be when you grow up?" Jiyeon asked.

"I wanted to compose music. I also wanted to be a performer myself so that when my parents would see me, they'd be proud of me."

"Composing music? Well, that's good. It'll be a way to release the pain you've been experiencing in your life," Eun Jung said.

Gyu Ri smiled. "Actually, I have to thank Jin Woon Oppa for helping me."

Jiyeon blinked. "Jin Woon Oppa? Is he helping you out?"

Gyu Ri smiled again. "Ne. HE's teaching me to play the acoustic, electric and the bass guitars. He even taught me about composition when I wrote my very first song. I've known him when he was still in highschool. He told me I was his inspiration and the reason why he decided to take up Music in college. It's so that he could help people like me get on my feet when the right time comes.  And based on his songs, I can see that he had been in a turbulent relationship. Before he graduated in highschool, he wrote a few songs about a certain girl who paved the way for him to see the essence of innocent and real love. When I asked him who that girl was, he shook  his head and told me it was just a figment of his imagination."

Jiyeon was taken aback. Gyu Ri continued. "What's funny is that I could still recall the lyrics of one of his songs. He described the girl as naive, yet he wanted to protect her. He wanted to be there for her, but sadly, the girl turned his back away from him. And there was even a description of the said girl."

Then silence. "How does the girl look like, Gyu Ri-ah?" Eun JUng asked. To her amazement, Gyu Ri looked at Jiyeon.

"He's talking about you, Jiyeon Eonnie.."

"M...me?"

"Ne. When I first saw you today, I could not be mistaken. Oppa once marveled at my photographic memory when I told him a lot of things I remembered about him. And recalling those lyrics, I couldn't help but find myself imagining what the girl looked like. It turned out that you were that girl. And I think Eonni that Oppa liked you."

"H..how can that be? He even told me way back then that he didn't feel the same way, and that he only looked at me as his yeodongsaeng..."

Eun Jung was suddenly curious. "So, you two did have history, right?"

Jiyeon just looked at Eun Jung, confused. There a lot of revelations going on that she had difficulty making sense out of them. Suddenly, the girls heard Jin Woon coming to them, with Mason running beside him and Mavin seated with his legs around Jin Woon's neck. He was having so much fun with the kids Jiyeon didn't realize she was smiling. When Jin Woon finally caught sight of them, he went to Gyu Ri.

"Annyeong Gyu Ri-ah. By the way, how did your assignment go?"

"It's been doing fine, thank you Oppa. By the way, I already had unraveled the secret to your song 'A Glimpse to the Future'."

Jin Woon suddenly became uneasy. He placed Mavin down and let him play with Mason instead.

"Gyu Ri-ah..."

"Mianhe, Oppa. You just forgot I have a photographic memory."

Jin Woon suddenly caught Jiyeon and Eun Jung looking at him. He felt uneasy that he started to walk away, leaving the girls to wonder what's on his mind. Suddenly, Jiyeon commented to Gyu Ri.

"I guess that photographic memory of yours caught him. I wish I could have that kind of memory too."

Gyu Ri shook her head. "Don't be envious eonnie. Actually, I was diagnosed of having Asperger's Syndrome. Yet some of the other doctors dismissed this fact. Whether I am autistic or not cannot change the fact that even abandoned kids also had those kind of gifts."

Mavin returned with Mason, IU and Suzy. Mavin climbed to Jiyeon and rested on her chest like a cat climbing on a tree.

"Why did Hyung go? Do you know why, Noona?"

Jiyeon shook her head. She looked up at IU and Suzy with tears in her eyes. Then she looked back at Mavin again.

"Ani..Noona doesn't know why..."