Invisible magic

Key to Love

The Sun Key’s eyes, made him squinted. "Mom, why did you do that?"

     His mother pulled the curtain wider. "Wake up. It passed 9 already."

     "But it's still early..." he whined and drew his blanket to cover his face from the light that shone straight to him.

     "Get up."

     "5 minutes."

     "No." She jerked down his blanket. "Help me buy some vegetables from SooHee's."

     Hearing her name made him awake. He opened his eyes and sat down. "Can't you go instead?" He pouted.

     Deep down inside him, yes, he's dying to go. But regardless, he couldn't face her. He's too ashamed of himself. What he did, was really unacceptable. He admitted it.

     "What's wrong?" she placed her bottom on the bed next to him. "You've always eagered when I asked you before."

     "I wasn't." he blushed.

     "Did something happen?" she frowned.

     How to tell her what happened? He can't tell her straight away that he accidentally pushed her and caused her to hurt herself and also letting her standing in the rain until she got a fever. When he put it that way, what he did seems terrible. He'll surely get a scream as a price.

     "Nothing happened." He lied. Telling her at that time was not a good idea. It's his problem with SooHee, her mother got nothing to do with it.  There’s no need to trouble her with his problem. Besides, it's not a big deal after all. Friends always fight right? Right?

     "Don't tell me a lie." She pinched Key's arm.

     "Ouch." He rubbed his arm.

     "Listen," She sighed when she realized that there's no used to forced him to speak out about it. He wouldn't even tell. "I'm the one who gave birth to you, even if you didn't tell, a mother always knows." She glanced at the present on his table. It's the one that he bought for SooHee.

     Damn! Why did I put it there? 

     "It's for SooHee isn't it?" She giggled. "Just give it to her. She'll like it. And she'll certainly forget what ever you've did to her."

     "How would you know?" He lowered his voice, disgruntled.

     "I'm a women too, remember?" his mother smirked.

     Well, she was saying the truth.  A woman will know what a woman wants. Why didn't he ask his mother right from the beginning? Still, what if SooHee react the opposite way? Will their friendship end just like that? That's the least he wanted to occur. Key stared at his table.

     "Go and get ready, now." she ordered.

      "Bu-"

     "Don't forget to buy what I wrote on the list." She put the list on the table and quickly closed his room door.

     Can't he do it another day? Or maybe, give up on it? He let out a heavy breath. "Stress!" he shrieked.

     "Hurry Key." his mother's voice was heard from outside the room. He jolted and quickly ambled to the bathroom to get ready.

 

*****

 

     He hit his bike tires brake and stopped in front of the shop. It's closed. A noticed was affixed to the wall. Key moved closer to get a clear reading of it. ChanJae's gone to his mother's hometown to visit his late-wife's grave. He leaned against the wall.

     "Now what?" His hope felt annihilated. 

     Not yet. This wasn't the time to give up. He felt the urge to go to her house. Key rode his bikes with the present in his hand. He clutched it under his arm. 

     His heart beats like a drum being hit hardly when he got into SooHee's house. Key looked around to find her. He parked his bike in her lawn. 

     "What are you doing here?"

     He turned around and saw SooHee with curiosity in her face. "I was... I-"

     SooHee put down the vase that she planned to moved it to another place just now. She stood still waiting for him to talk. 

     "Do you have anything to say?" her toned was neither angry nor happy. He can't tell if his arrival there pleasant her or not. 

     "Can we sit down?" he suggested and pointed to the garden chair next to them.

     She nodded and rested herself on the chair first. He pulled the chair near to her and sat down. 

     "How are you?" He began the conversation. 

     "I'm fine."

     "I heard that JongHyun confessed to you recently."

     "Yup."

     "And you said no to him."

     "True." She simply answered. Rumours spread fast these days. There’s nothing to be surprised if someone knew about it.

     He waited for her to speak more. However, he ended up staring at her face. She looked tired. Wonder what's been bothering her. SooHee used to share her problems with him before. He never felt burden when knowing that she trusted him to listen to her. It made him feel glad to be there for her.

     "Well, do you miss me?" he laughed. Key was trying to make a joke in order to break the awkwardness but in turned out to be more awkward as she turned her face away and started to cry silently. 

     "SooHee?" He tried to find her eyes. 

     "No. Don't." She stopped him with her hand. SooHee wiped away his tears and took a deep breath. She looked at him straight in the eyes. 

     What could he been thinking right now? All she wants from him before was an apology but now she only wanted him to talk to her again. Why can't he see that? Every time he's in the same room as her, she would peek at him. Sometimes, she made it obvious and feel assured that he might noticed it but seemed like she failed and every single time too, he always with another girl. Maybe he had new friends now.

     "Hey, don't cry." he cupped her face with his palms. "I have something for you." He strode to his bike and took the present. Key hide the present at his back and walked towards her with a grin on his lips.

     "What is it?" she asked.

     Key handed it with a smile and positioned himself on the chair he was before.

     A red love box with polka dot design made her heart felt more curious of what's inside. She turned to face Key and back to open the box. A silver music box with her name expertly handcraft on the surface of the music box was in it.

     "Before you open it, I just want you to know that... I... How to say this?" he pushed his hand back through his hair. "I've been such a jerk to you lately. And I just wanted you to know that... I never meant... to hurt you." he grasped her hand and hold it causing her to jolted, but she controlled it. "I wish... no... I want to be your source of happiness again. I can't take seeing you with JongHyun anymore. Please accept my humble apology and know that I would never deliberately hurt you in any way." Key putted his hands gently on her shoulder. "I promise." He really hoped this will gain back her trust.

     She moved her head up and down several times, slowly. He sounded differently. In her head she keep on questioning herself what's in the box. She forgave him already. As a matter of fact, she knew that he didn't mean to do that to her. All this while, she just waited for him to greet her or speak to her first.

     "You can open it now." He bit his lower lips.

      She did as she was told. The sweetest music was heard from the music box. In the box was a piece of paper folded nicely in rectangular shape and a silver necklace with a key pendant. It's the key to the music box.

     She unfolded the paper. At that moment, only God knew what he felt.

 

 

"I Love You Yesterday,

I Love You Still,

I Always have...

I Always Will"

 

 

     Once she raised her head back, he quickly asked, "Do you... emm, will you..." Red colour obviously appeared on both of his cheeks. "Be my girlfriend?"

     SooHee gapped . "What?" The words that she read and the questioned that reached her ears didn't make any sense. Why on earth he said something like that?

     "Then, what about all the girls that you've been with?" She inquired. "And HyoJin?"

     "She's just a girl, but you're not." Key squatted in front of her. "I tried to find someone that I love when that girl is actually always with me. I was stupid not to realize it sooner."

     "Yes you are." She murmured.

     "I'm what?"

     "Stupid."

     "Huh?" he frowned.

     She slapped his arms. "Why do you think I rejected JongHyun?" She pushed him, result in making him stumbled down. He got up.

     "What are you saying? Wait, hold on." he paused. "Is it because of me?" he burst into a fit of laughter. "You... you actually like me?"

     SooHee didn't answer. She pouted her lips.

     "So... does that mean a yes?" he asked.

     "For what?" her arms was crossed around her chest.

      "My question earlier." 

     SooHee can't breathe for a moment. She sat there, staring at him. If she said yes, it might seem that she's desperate. But she didn't want to say no either. She deliberately smiled, hoping he'll understand.

     He ducked closer to her and kissed her forehead. "Thank you." He gave the warmest smile. The necklace in the music box is taken out by him and he put it around her neck. It fitted perfectly. 

     SooHee finger the pendant. "It must cost you a lot to buy this."

     "I wouldn't mind if it's for you." he put his hands into his jeans pocket. He touched something, feels like a small paper crumpled in there. Something suddenly crossed his mind. 

     "Aish..." He took it out and whined. He's late. He should be home by now. 

     "What's wrong?" Stood on her feet, she grabbed the paper from his hand. "Is this groceries list?" She giggled. 

     "Wanna come with me?" Key was already on his bicycle reaching his hand out to her.

     SooHee clutched his hand and sat on his bicycle rear carrier. 

     "Let's go!" He pedalled. 

     "Careful." SooHee hold his waist firmly. 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

This story is officially end. Thank you to you who read this. Don't forget to check my other fanfics

U-KISS :----> Selfish Heart

Kai :---> Sour As Vinegar