[소나기] Always Find My Way To You - Taeil Scenario

[소나기] Sonagi ~ BLOCK B EDITION

They say that people who experience a traumatic incident may lose their memories because of the shock they suffered. It's unfair, of all the memories that you could have lost, why do you feel like something good - someone good was taken away from you?

 "You have to go back", you heard him say. You were sitting at the passenger seat while he was driving. The rain was beating hard against the car windows that revealed nothing but different shades of gray.

"I don't want to...I want to be with you", you said your voice breaking, you realize your tears will be unstoppable once they start falling.

"I do too, but -", his voice hardened, "I can't keep you"

"Why not? Are you just going to give up on me? Why can't you fight for me?", your voice rose accusingly.

"I'm not in the position to fight-"

"I'm not going back", you told him, you were already in tears.

"Please don't do this", he begged you. You grabbed the steering wheel with your hands and tried to turn the car around.

"Oppa, I'm going to turn around, let's stay together, I don't care", your heart beat faster and faster, There's no way I can live without you, you thought to yourself.

"Let go, please, let go - let's talk, calm down", he said trying to pry your fingers off the steering wheel.

"You said we'll get through this - why are you throwing me away?", you said through your tears. Suddenly a flash of lightning hit the ground in front of you, you felt a hot flash go over your body and everything went white.

"No-!", you screamed as you woke up. It hurts, your chest hurts so much. It was the same dream again.

You tried to remember every single detail of the person in your dream. But no matter how you forced yourself you could only see his slender fair arms and make out a faint outline of a leather bracelet. The rest was enveloped in a fog. You touched your cheek, it was wet with tears. Breathing heavily, you reached for the glass of water at your bedside table. With trembling fingers you took the pill that was on the saucer beside your water and swallowed it, washing it down with water.

You waited for your parents to come, but this time they didn't. Maybe your scream wasn't loud enough to wake them like before. You think it's better that they did not hear you, they will probably just exchange worried looks they pretended not to give when they were in front of you. They always told you that it was just a bad dream, and that even though the accident did happen, you were alone and not with anyone else. For awhile you believed them because they were your parents, and you did not remember anything before the accident. All you remember was that you were a good daughter and an average student.

But the dreams became frequent,and sometimes even when you're awake bright flashes of light take you to memories you don't own. But is your mind really that messed up to create memories that don't exist?

***

"Omma, shall I go choose cabbages for the kimchi?", you asked brightly. You were at the supermarket with your mom, one of the rare moments where you are allowed to go out. It took you almost a year to begin walking again and when you could finally walk your parents were not willing to let you go out even if it's just for a stroll to get some fresh air. They worry that you are not well enough to be out and about. Sometimes you feel really suffocated being cooped up in your house with nothing to do.

 

"Yes, I will just get some pork belly", she replied to you smiling. You slowly made your way to the produce section, you liked the feeling of being in the supermarket, of being outside. Everything seemed more alive and colorful. It was good to stretch your legs and walk around. You were choosing which cabbage heads were pretty enough to make kimchi with when a familiar voice started singing from the speakers.

Am I the only one like this? Is it supposed to be like this?

I’m just here, not being able to do anything on my own

Are you really going to be like this?

Am I the only one like this? Is my heart only like this?

I’m just here, not being able to do anything on my own

Are you really going to be like this? 


 

You felt your heart stopped beating for a second - and then beat again loudly and faster that it made you gasp for air. It was as if there was a something pressing against your ribcage and it hurt so bad - that voice is so clear, so beautiful but heartbreaking.

You pressed your hand to your chest, your breathing became heavy - and without knowing why you were crying. Right there in the middle of all the cabbages and other vegetables. You thought that it was so ridiculous, but your body was reacting to the song - to that voice, and your heart hurt so much. You felt the world was quickly turning round and round, you tried to call out for your mom but the words were choked back into your throat. 

Hey...sleepyhead”, you heard his voice call out to you. You were both lying on the sofa. Your head resting on his shoulder, his arms hugged you close. Your legs intertwined.

Let me stay like this for awhile”, you whispered. You heard him sigh in contentment.

I think I'm spoiling you”, he whispered over your head.

Sing to me? Then that way you're really spoiling me”, you said in a sleepy voice, your eyes closed. With his body next to you, hearing his heart beat beating in the same rhythm as yours filled you with such warmth and comfort.

Am I the only one like this? Is it supposed to be like this? I’m just here, not being able to do anything on my own, Are you really going to be like this?”, he started singing. You looked up and your hand touched his face.This moment, your heart is full, full and happy.

You know I love you”, he said bringing his face closer to yours.

You smiled up at him and closed the distance between your lips, before kissing him you replied, “Always".

The next moment you open your eyes, you were lying in the hospital bed. You didn't make a sound as you heard your parents arguing behind the curtains.

"I thought you were careful?", you heard your Dad say in restrained anger.

"How was I to know that his song will be played over the radio??"

"You should've just let her stay at home".

"Sooner or later she will hear him singing, don't you think she won't wonder why we never let her play music? Or supervise her TV and internet hours? She was about to debut you know-"

"I remember, I remember everything, that is why I want to put the past behind, a past that we don't want to go back to."

"We talked about this, "your dad continued, "We will start a new life here. Far away from him-"

"She might hear you", your mom hushed him. You heard your dad sigh, your mom spoke up with an assuring voice, "If it bothers you, we'll send her away to your Aunt".

***

They did send you away, it was straight after the incident at the supermarket. They told you that they were sending you to the countryside because they believe that you can recover faster and will help lessen the episodes. But deep inside you, you can't help feel that they are hiding something from you.But what was it? And your dreams were getting stranger – they seemed more real as time passes.


 

Where are you?”, you heard him call out. You tried to stop yourself from snorting. It was dark and cool where you were crouching down. And by the scent of the air around you, you know that you were in a closet. You were hiding from him.

Are you here? We gotta go you know?” You felt sad at his words, you were reluctant to show yourself because you know that once he finds you, you will have to say goodbye. You heard him humming a tune while going through the room, then his sweet voice started singing, “Why, why, why is my heart like this? Beautiful my love, love, love, Whenever I see you~U~Hoo~Hoo,just you~U~Hoo~Hoo .Baby, I’m calling you without even knowing
Baby, even if I see you today and tomorrow think for you”

His voice was so beautiful, it made you feel so lucky to be with him. When his eyes smile as he sings you're drawn to him like a magnet. You were so lost in his voice that you didn't realize that the closet door was already pulled open.

Why, why, why is my heart like this?Beautiful my love, love, love”, he continued to sing but almost in a slow whisper. He was wearing a red beanie cap that covered his small head and he almost looked like child except for the serious expression on his face. He stooped down so that you were looking at each other eye to eye, “Baby, I’m calling you without even knowing”. He stopped singing and you were both looking at each other.

It's not fair you found me so fast”, you said softly. He pulled you up and drew you into his embrace, you stared at him in defiance. He looked at you and you felt like he was looking at the most precious thing in the world. He planted a soft kiss at the top of your head.

Don't you know? Wherever you are...I will find you. You can't escape from me, even if you don't want me to find you, I will find you”.

You know I love you”, you whispered back.

Always”, you felt his smile when he said that.


 

The sound of the wind chimes broke your reverie, you were so close to remembering his face. You knew you were staring into each other but his features were obscured, you could only focus on his eyes or his small thin lips.you sighed, Is really out there? Is he real? And then instead of talking to yourself, you called out, “Can you find me now?” . You used to hate the moments where your mind brings up a scene with the mystery man – but now these flashes are a welcome distraction. The countryside wasn't really the countryside, it was a small town situated near the beach, unlike Seoul this place was indeed peaceful and time stood still.

You were keeping watch over the small convenience store that your father's aunt owned. The shop was situated at the first floor of a two-story shophouse. You and your grand-aunt lived at the second floor. So far life here has been mundane, there wasn't anything to occupy you but serve customers. Sometimes when you felt well enough you'd take a walk to the beach with your grand-aunt. She mostly doesn't leave you alone because she's been told that you're suffering from seizures, a fact that surprised you. Your grand-aunt was a busy lady though as she is also the head of the women's league. Most of the time you're just left by yourself at the store, times like these you were drawing the scenes that you remember from your dreams. This time you were trying to draw the leather bracelet, you think you could recreate it from the countless times you dreamt about it.

 

Welcome”, you cheerfully said to the group of high school girls who entered the store giggling to themselves. You put your drawing pencil down and observed the students. You perk up every time you see students because you really miss school. You wish you could wear a uniform again as you looked at your attire of jeans, tank top and a long-sleeved blue cardigan. But by now you should be in university so you don't need a uniform, your parents promised that they'd let you attend school next year if you recover faster.

 

The school girls were huddled against the freezer deciding what ice cream flavor to buy when one of their phones started ringing, you almost dropped the cloth that you were using to polish the glass counter.

Why, why, why is my heart like this? Beautiful my love, love, love, Whenever I see you~U~Hoo~Hoo,just you~U~Hoo~Hoo .Baby, I’m calling you without even knowing, Baby, even if I see you today and tomorrow think for you”

Excuse me”, you said slowly approaching them. The skinny girl with the phone and the sour expression looked at you warily.

That..that song,” you began, “It's familiar, do you know who sang it?”

The girl snorted and looked at you with an incredulous expression, “Eonni, you really don't know?”

Ah, I am not into music, it's just that I like this song recently”.

They're a group called Block B”, the plump one with the harsh bangs replied, you were surprised at her small voice.

Block B?”, you repeated, tilting your head, hoping that you can remember something about Block B.

Yeah, Block B,” the skinny one retorted, “Anyway here's our money”. She passed you a stack of bills but you were still thinking about the connection between Block B and the guy in your dreams.

Ah! I am so sorry,” You finally snapped out of it,and took the money and bowed, “Thank you, please come again”. They just gave you a quick nod and stepped out of the store. You slowly made your way back to the counter.

Block B?”, you tried to wrack your brain for anything about Block B. You decided to ask your grand-aunt to bring you to the community hall to borrow the computer. You haven't used any of your internet hours for this week yet. You were still mulling over Block B when the faint twinkle of the wind chime sounded.

Welcome”, you said almost absent-mindedly. You saw a man who looked like a tourist, with his long-sleeved denim jacket and big backpack, he was wearing a red plaid shirt underneath the jacket, a red cap was over his head and he had on sunglasses. You really couldn't see his face because the collar of his jacket was upturned. You shook your head at the weird fashion sense he has.You noticed that he was taking his time looking at the drinks at the fridge.

You can buy two bottles of the orange juice for the price of one,” you called out to him, he didn't even look at you but just nodded his head. You shrugged and started wiping the counter again.

Your mind was still drifting to the song, Why, why, why is my heart like this? Beautiful my love, love, love, Whenever I see you~U~Hoo~Hoo,just you~U~Hoo~Hoo .Baby, I’m calling you without even knowing, Baby, even if I see you today and tomorrow think for you. You didn't notice that you were humming the song, after a few bars, you heard the awful sound of glass crashing.

The tourist had dropped one of the orange juice bottles on the floor and it was now in pieces. You had to smile, at least something out of the ordinary happened. You quickly took a broom and dustpan from the corner of the shop. The tourist was already trying to pick up the glass shards.

Ahjussi, it's OK, let me clean up”, you said quickly stooping down to help him. But in your haste you wiped you finger against the sharp edge of the glass, “Ah!”

Be careful!”, a stern voice said the tourist held the hand with the cut finger and while he took out a piece of tissue from his pocket. He held your hand so firmly and yet so gently that you relaxed from the initial shock at the sound of his voice. He had his head down as he wiped the small amount of blood that blotted out from the small cut.

Thank you”, you said meekly as he stopped wiping. You felt a little awkward as he was still holding your hand, “Uhm” He realized what he was doing and he slowly let go of his grip.

Let me just sweep of the broken glass, you wanted two bottles of orange juice right?”, you said standing up. He also stood up and nodded. Wow this Ahjussi isn't chatty, you commented to yourself. You saw that he wasn't as rugged as he looks, though it looks like he came far, “Stay here OK? I am just going to throw this outside”

You came from Seoul?”, you asked as you came back. You saw him holding the bottles of orange juice and he standing next to the counter looking at the drawing. You walked up to him, “Do you like it?”

You drew this?”, he asked quietly, he was staring intently at the drawing. Well you're not much for eye contact aren't you Ahjussi, you wanted to say but though the better of it.

Yes, it's a design that I remember seeing but I am not sure where”, you said truthfully. You saw his body shake a bit, “Ahjussi are you OK?”

He looked up at the ceiling, you saw his fair neck stretch out and his smooth jawline tense a bit, and then he shook his head, his voice cracked as he said, “Yes, I'm OK. How much for the orange juice?”

You went to the cash register, “It's two for the price of one – so then it will be “ He flung a ₩ 10000 note at the counter, “Oh dear, I don't think I have change for this big amount of money”, but then you heard the sound of the wind chimes, he left without taking his change.

Grand-aunt must treat me today”, you muttered to yourself. You looked out at his walking figure and you didn't know why but you felt sad. He seemed like a really nice guy and more than that he seemed familiar. You tried to shake off the feeling. You heard the distant sound of thunder, you saw the clouds had become dark.

Excuse me! Ahjussi!”, you called out running after him. He suddenly stopped walking when you called out Ahjussi. He didn't even turn around. You gripped the umbrellas tightly in your hand, you took a step forward, when rain drops started pelting the floor. You opened one of the umbrellas, while the rain poured the man didn't even move to find shelter, he just stood there letting the rain soak him. You hold an umbrella over his head by stretching your arm up.

I don't need the change”, he said coldly. You felt your heart was stabbed by a cold knife. But even if he treated you coldly you felt like you couldn't hate him.

Ahjussi, I don't know why you're so rude”, you said in a small voice, you were not angry just irritated at him. You held an umbrella over him but you were still facing his back. You saw his body relax as you spoke, “I am sorry I can't give you change but if you're coming back round here again I can probably give it to you then”.

You- you want me to come back?”, he asked in surprise.

Yes, just to be fair”, you said with a smile, “Here take this umbrella, I have another one with me. You don't want to get anymore wet than you already have, seeing that you need to go somewhere”.

He turned around, he was still wearing those ridiculous shades even when it's pouring out. You held out the umbrella to him, and he grasped your hand. You felt a familiar sensation, something warm inside your heart when he held your hand. You didn't want to let go. And then you realized, YOU DIDN'T WANT HIM TO GO.

The lightning ripped through the sky and hit the ground few metres away from where you were standing. You were surprised that you gasped for breath and began choking. The man took the umbrella from your hand and with his other hand he held your back and patted it.

Shh, it's going to be OK”, you heard him say in that sweet voice. It took a few more pats from him before you were breathing normally, “I shall take you back to the store”. You were so shocked that you just nodded weakly. He placed an arm over your shoulder and led you back to the shop's entrance.

Thank you,” you said in an almost whisper. You felt overwhelmed and confused by the feelings that washed over you when your body was so close to his, you lifted your head and smiled, “I'm fine now”.

I shall borrow this then”, he said lifting the umbrella's handle, “And I shall take my change when I come back”

OK!”, you smiled brightly at him, you didn't even notice if he smiled back, his mouth was almost completely covered by his collar. When he turned around and started to walk away, that's when your smile disappeared. You wanted him to stay but couldn't give a reason why. You wished that you had your episode and maybe fainted, would he have stayed? You watched him walk away, hoping that he would turn back and wave. Please, please, you pleaded and as if he had telepathic powers, he turned around and gave you a quick wave through the rain.

You waved back and smiled, having complete faith that he will come back again. You went in the store and took off your cardigan to dry. You dusted off the water when something flew out from its pocket. You picked it up, it was a leather bracelet, it looked so familiar that you quickly went to the counter to look at your drawing, you picked up the piece of paper and compared it with the bracelet that you held on your other hand. It had the same design and pattern...except now you could clearly see your name embossed on the front of the leather band and at the underside you could see the handwritten letters – ALWAYS.


A/N: Yes finally Taeil's version! How is it? It's way longer and honestly I was surprised at how the story turned out. Please stay tuned for the rest of the members! Feedback and comments are my source of food! And please subscribe as well if you haven't yet!

Peace, love and ice cream~