[소나기] Wheel of Love - Yukwon

[소나기] Sonagi ~ BLOCK B EDITION
There are a few things that you are afraid of crowds, high places and getting your heart broken.
 
But you've been hit by a triple combo - you are now at  Everland squeezing with hundreds of people with the possibility of riding something life threatening as a rollercoaster just to see who your ex-boyfriend dumped you for. You were not 
a willing participant though, it was your best friend who pulled you out from your bed 
and dragged you here.
 
You prefer a more passive approach to getting dumped which is  to hole up in your room, eat ice cream and marathon dramas without toilet breaks or  even bathing. But the Best Friend wants you to take a more active approach, that you should face your fear and let go.
 
"Why did I agree to this?", you asked out loud as Best Friend pulled you along the throng of people.
 
"Oh come on, don't pretend you're the least bit curious!", she said impatiently while craning her neck to see where the Ex and New Girl went.
 
"I am, but what good would this do me?", you replied while trying to avoid getting hit in the face with cameras or other people's random body parts.
 
"Catharsis", she shouted back without looking at you. There was so much people that you got separated a couple of times but you managed to hold on to her hand.
 
"I am sure once you see Ex with the New Girl then you would snap out of your heartbroken stupor and live your life again", she began, you bowed your head in resignation for the lecture on how to get over the Ex -"Wait, I see him, I see them! Let's
go!"
 
And with that you were violently pulled again, jerked like a rag doll. In a way, Best Friend is right, maybe if you saw who Ex dumped you for you would come to your senses and accept things are over. Maybe if you were faced with the reality that HE IS AN EX-BOYFRIEND you would finally feel the hurt and not live as if things will go back to how it used to be tomorrow.
 
"Are you sure it's him?", you asked in a tired voice. All this running around trying to spot an Ex is hard work. You adjusted your skirt.
 
"Affirmative", she said in her spy voice. She gave you a lookover and "tsked" in disappointment. "Could you have worn something nicer? Like to show off?"
 
"Ever since the breakup I have been eating junk food and not sleeping well, what can I show off? My misery?", you fired back.
 
"Glad to know that your sarcasm still exists, I thought you're gonna be mopey all your life", she replied.
 
"Dude, we could just go home. What if he sees us? Won't I seem desperate?"
 
"There's such a thing as coincidence, the dramas always have that kind of thing. Stay here while I get us tickets to the Ferris Wheel".
 
You stared up at the giant Ferris Wheel and cleared your throat, "I am OK with staying on level ground, we can see them from here".
 
"Are you kidding me? We already went through all the trouble to go here and follow them, we might as well enjoy too"
 
"If enjoying means dangling a hundred feet above ground, I wish you luck", you said as you made a move to go. Best Friend grabbed your arm and threatened, "If you insist on going home I am gonna scream your name now for Ex to hear, and let's see what will happen next".
 
You shot her back a death glare as she walked to the ticket booth. You sighed to yourself. Most of her points were correct, except the part that you had to be a masochist and really see Ex and New Girl on a date before you could move on.
 
"Ready? " Best Friend said as she hooked arms with you, "Let's go!" You forced a smile as you saw the towering Ferris Wheel. You shuddered.
 
"Conquer the Ferris Wheel, conquer the heartbreak", Best Friend smiled at you, and she laughed, "OK that is so cheesy, but whatevs"
 
You and Best Friend stayed a few couples behind the Ex and the New Girl. You could only see their backs, how Ex and the New Girl were laughing. You saw how he swept a few strands of her hair from covering her face, and how happy he seemed. You felt so small and so dark compared to their bright happy love, your chest hurt.
 
"I don't think I can do this", you said trying to pull away from Best Friend's grasp.
 
"Let's move along folks", the man in charge of the ride called out to you. Your friend pushed you along to where your seats were. As you sat down, Best Friend suddenly stood up, you asked her, "What's wrong?"
 
"Did you see my phone?"
 
"Weren't you holding it just now?", you asked impatiently, she was searching her bag for her phone.
 
"It's not here", she said, "I must've left it at the counter, stay here I am gonna get it".
 
"What!?, " you called after her, "The ride is gonna start" You felt the seat creak under your weight, and you looked down, you felt something wrong. You felt Best Friend come back and sit beside you.
 
"That was quick", you said turning over to her but to your shock you saw a red-headed boy...a red-headed SWEATY boy sit down where your Best Friend should sit. Before you can even react properly, the Ferris Wheel started to move.
 
"Who are you?", you demanded but your irritation suddenly disappeared when he flashed you the most gorgeous smile you've ever seen.
 

You blinked. Trying to make sure that the red-headed boy in front of you wasn't just an apparition. You blinked a few more times, and shook your head. He seemed like the real thing. He was still smiling at you when you felt the seat lurch forward.

"OHMYGODIDONOTWANTTODIE", you said in an almost whisper unaware that although you've tried to keep your panic at bay, your hand was already grabbing on to REDHEAD's well-toned arm.

"Are you OK?", he said tilting his head towards you. He didn't even try to remove your hand even though it looks like you've dug your fingernails into his white flesh. You felt another lurch and saw that you were slowly moving up. Embarrassed you took your hand away and moved to the furthest that you can away from the boy and kept your hands to yourself. Slowly the Ferris Wheel was making it's ascent. You have always hated heights, so much that you can't even climb up more than a single flight of stairs. Now that you're slowly rising up you felt so powerless and scared. If you had just run after Best Friend you won't be up in the air with a strange boy. How did he end up sitting beside you anyway?

You looked towards him and saw that he had removed his jacket to reveal him wearing a white wifebeater and saw that his muscles were well-defined. How could a babyface like his have such a body like his? Your gaze slowly went up to his face, he was busy wiping the sweat off his body, he must've been running a lot to be sweating buckets. You realize that he was looking at you looking at his arms you quickly looked away. But then you couldn't look to the side or to the front because you would see the whole of Everland,you cannot look down because you would see how far up you are, you locked your fingers together and stared at it. Please end this ride soon.

"Ahem", Redhead cleared his throat, you didn't dare look at him again. "Look, I'm sorry if I ruined your date, I actually didn't see you, I thought it was vacant". 

You didn't even look up. Somehow the thought that he thinks you were on a date makes you feel happy. It's been a while since you have been on a date, and for him to think that you're on a date looking like the trainwreck that you are flatters you. But then again when you looked around you saw that most of the people on the Ferris Wheel were couples and some were even making out. You gasped in horror wondering what Ex and New Girl were doing.

"Tell you what," he said after waiting for a reply from you that didn't came, "Once this ride finishes you and your date can go another round with him, I'll pay".

 

ANOTHER ROUND? He was kidding right? You could barely breathe just trying to calm yourself. You looked at him incredulously.

"I know I ruined the moment for you that's why you keep giving me dagger looks, but what kind of guy would leave his girl all alone for even a minute?", he asked leaning forward, you could tell that he was really laying on the charm. You went back to watching your hands finger wrestle. Disappointment flooding your heart, you thought he was nice enough to have a conversation with but in turns out he's also a big flirt. It reminded you of Ex and honestly you don't want to be reminded of Ex. He sighed as he sat back against the seat and you felt yourself wobble. 

"Ya!", you said in irritation, "Can you not do BIG movements?" He looked at you open-mouthed.

"Finally you spoke!", he said as his face broke into a smile. Seeing him smile so naturally without being so greasy made your heart warm. "It's better if we pass the time talking right? Than be all bored?"

"Or scared stiff", you added quietly you caught yourself and hoped he didn't hear, you stole a glance at him and found him staring at you.

"I am really sorry that I sat here, your date must be mad", he said and this time you heard sincerity in his voice.

"It's nothing", you replied, hesitating whether or not to tell him that you weren't on a date. Part of you hopes that maybe there's teeny bit of attraction on his part but you know that it's not likely. He might just be playing nice. You decided to change the topic, "But why are you all sweaty, and why are you riding alone?"

He let out a small laugh, and you swore you felt the breeze pick up when he laughed, "I was trying to avoid stalkers". Your smile froze halfway, you felt uncomfortable. What if he found out that you were there stalking somebody else?

"I am kidding!", he said when he saw your reaction, "I am playing hooky from work since Everland is near where I was working at I decided to slip out and have fun".

You let out a sigh of relief, but that made you wonder what his job was. Before you could get a word in, the Ferris Wheel shook violently, you thought there was an earthquake. Your heart was beating very fast that you forgot all about propriety and flung yourself over at Redhead.

"OMG, why is it shaking?", you said clutching him. You buried your face on his arm, the sleeve of his jacket giving off a lovely scent. You felt him shaking but then you also heard him laughing softly, you lifted your face, "What's funny?"

"I think it's your phone vibrating now, not the Ferris Wheel", he said smiling. "It may be your boyfriend?". You reached for your phone that was inside your sling bag. Sure enough the phone was vibrating but instead of Ex it was Best Friend calling.

"Hello?", you heard her frantic voice, "Are you OK? I thought you followed me but I didn't realize that you were still there. I'm sorry I know you're scared of heights now you're all alone and there's a malfunction..."

"A malfunction?!", you screeched, you stared into the phone in disbelief, you pressed the phone to your ear again.

"Yes, the person just told me that there's been a malfunction and they're trying to fix it," she explained her stress apparent.

"Are you kidding me?"

"Now now," Best Friend said, "Take deep breaths, deep breaths"

"How can I take deep breaths?", you spewed at her violently, Redhead was looking at you with concern. "You know I'm scared of heights and you told me that I needed catharsis!"  You wanted to say more but you saw that Redhead was becoming more and more curious at the conversation.

"I'll talk to you later", you said abruptly and cut the call. You turned off your phone for good measure and threw it inside your bag.

"I'm guessing that wasn't your boyfriend?"

"No", you said curtly, "There is no boyfriend, that was my friend we were supposed to ride together but not she left me here alone a hundred meters from the safety of the level ground and the Ferris Wheel has stopped and they don't know how long before they can fix it".

"So there's no boyfriend?", he asked brightly.

"I said that the Ferris Wheel was malfunctioning and all you could take from that is I don't have a boyfriend?", you said standing up in frustration. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen the Ferris Wheel is currently out of order, we advise that you remain calm, we are trying to resolve the issue", the message blared from the speakers. You could bet that you were the only one unhappy with the malfunction, every other couple rejoiced at the delay.

Suddenly the Ferris Wheel moved again and it tilted that you lost your balance and crashed into Redhead. You found yourself in his arms, the close proximity made you uncomfortable especially when your eyes met.

"I think you better sit down properly", he said not once removing his stare from you. He was holding your wrists with his hands and you straightened yourself up and sat next to him. When you looked in front you were directly looking into your Ex and the New Girl, they were talking animatedly, holding hands and laughing but what made you catch your breathe was that the New Girl was wearing the exact same necklace that the Ex gave you, the one that you're wearing right now. You felt a tiny stab in your heart but the pain grew with each moment seeing them together. The Ferris Wheel lurched again and this time Ex looked around. You hoped he hadn't seen you yet, so you flung your arms over Redhead's neck and hugged him tight.

"Please, please let me do this", you whispered. Although he was surprised you felt his hand rest on your back. You closed your eyes, you thought that seeing Ex and New Girl would make you strong enough to move on but what you realized was that you were weak so you didn't want to see them, it was all too painful. Before you knew it the pain became tiny drops of water from your eyes and began falling. You were trying your best to suppress your tears but the more you stopped them, the more they wanted to flow, and your body started to shudder.

"That...", Redhead suddenly spoke up, you didn't dare look at him but continued to hug him, "That guy over there, he's staring at us, do you know him?". You nodded your head as the tears continued to spill.

"He...he's my ex-", you begin to explain in between sobs. But then you felt him wrap both his arms around your waist and pulled you closer to him.

"Shh, " he whispered into your ear, "You don't need to say anything, it's OK, you can cry".

You didn't realize how much you've kept your pain inside of you except now that you're crying. To cry freely in the arms of a stranger is something you would never thought of doing, but right now this is what you need.

In a few moments, you felt something wet drop on your hand, slowly you felt drops of water on your arms too. You unclasped your hands from Redhead's neck and both of you looked up at the sky. It was raining. He looked down at you.

"See even the sky cries with you, so now you don't need to hide while crying", he said smiling. You didn't feel sad or hurt at all, because when he smiles at you, it's as if like the rain, his smile washes pain away.

He removed his jacket and lifted it up above his head, he motioned for you to sit closer so you could share. You looked at him suspiciously.

"Ya," he said smiling at you, "It's waterproof". He didn't wait for you to reply, instead, he drew closer to you and lifted his hand over your head, the jacket protecting both of you from the sudden shower.

"When we get down from this, I'll properly take you out on a date", you heard him whisper. You blushed, and was surprised, it's been a long time since you blushed. You smiled your first genuine smile in months.

And just like that what seemed to be like a Wheel of Misfortune became a Wheel of Love.