CHILDHOOD

Wonderland

A/N: Like I said last chapter, this chapter is about their childhood times, when Tao fell down the rabbit hole the first time. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------

The last time the rabbit hole appeared was 12 years ago. At that time, Tao was only 7 years old.

***

“Tao and appa, if you don’t hurry up I’ll leave you behind~” a prettily dressed woman stood as the bottom of the stairs, a gentle smile gracing her face as she waited.

“We’re coming umma,” a man laughed from the second floor. He was dressed in a formal suit, carrying his son, similarly dressed down the stairs. The boy giggled.

“Appa, umma said that she’s going to leave,” Tao said, leaning back in his father’s embrace.

“Oh did umma say that? She won’t do that, don’t worry son.” Tao’s father replied laughing at his son’s cute pout.

The family left the house then, getting into their limo, on the way to their cousin’s wedding.

***

“Congratulations to you both, Seohyun and Yonghwa.” Tao’s parents smiled warmly at the bride and groom.

“Leeteuk, Sora! You made it!” the bride’s eyes twinkled happily, moving forward to hug the two people. Tao stared at the bride, Seohyun. He hadn’t seen such a big dress before. And she was so tall... he tugged on his mother’s dress, gaining both women’s attention.

“Oh is this Tao? He’s grown so big and handsome now!” Seohyun exclaimed. Tao blushed at the ‘handsome’ compliment, evoking squeals from the bride.

***

The wedding went ahead. Tao personally found it boring. But then again, he was too young to understand the big deal about a woman walking up in a poofy white dress to a guy dressed in a suit. And he most certainly did not want to see them kiss and taint his innocent mind. And his parents were more than willing to let him wonder during the wedding ceremony. Who wouldn’t want to preserve their child’s innocence?

So Tao left, wandering around the hedges and flowers in the beautiful garden. He laughed at the butterflies, picking a particularly pretty red flower and putting it in his hair, then looking for a pond to look at his reflection.

It was during that process that he first saw him.

The white rabbit.

The white rabbit was dressed very much like its name. Wearing an adorable white rabbit one piece, complete with a fluffy tail, Tao couldn’t help but squeal at how cute the boy looked. He ran over stretching his arms out for a hug.

The white rabbit stared at Tao with his huge owl eyes, his expression perfectly mimicking an O_O face. And so he fled. And Tao chased. He chased the peculiar boy until he came to a giant tree. The rabbit disappeared into the rabbit hole at the base of the tree.

And Tao followed.

Down the rabbit hole he fell. Oddly, he wasn’t scared, like most children would be. He felt at ease, it was almost as if he knew he was going to be fine. True the landing did hurt a bit, but otherwise, he didn’t have a scratch on him.

And he was in a room. A room filled with doors. He walked to the table in the middle of the room, barely able to reach the top and to find the key on it. He took the key, trying all the different doors. But unfortunately for him, none of them opened. Tao angrily threw the key on the floor, a grumpy pout appearing on his cute face.

He could have sworn he heard some squeals...

He then came to a curtain. What was a curtain doing here? There most certainly would not be any windows it could be covering. Being the curious little boy he was, Tao pulled the curtains open, discovering a door. A very, very small door with a huge padlock on it. He returned to where he had thrown the key, inserting it into the lock.

And the small door opened.

Tao instantly fell onto his stomach, peeking through the door. He stuck his hand through. It fit, of course, but he couldn’t get any farther than his shoulder. He retreated, sitting on the floor in frustration, about to bawl his eyes out. What if he was going to die here? He started sobbing.

It was then that a bottle on the table caught his eye. He sniffed, rubbing away the tears that had escaped and plodded over picking up the bottle. On its tag, it read DRINK ME.

Well Tao was an obedient boy. He most certainly did drink it. And his world became bigger. Tao widened his eyes in fright. He was aware that he was becoming smaller. Would he disappear altogether?

Thankfully, no. He stopped once he was the size of his finger when he was normal size. He realised with delight that he was now small enough to fit through the door. He yanked at the handle, his expression falling when he realised that it was locked. He had left the key on the table. So what did Tao do?

He cried. Tao was a crybaby. He sat on the floor bawling his eyes out yet again, upset that this time he would be stuck here AND he was tiny.

Then something caught his attention.

Cake.

Tao loved cake. He instantly crawled to the small cake lying on the floor, yes crawled as his crying seemed to make him lose reason.

EAT ME.

Why wouldn’t one eat cake anyway? Tao happily took a bite of the cake, approving its taste and was about to take another bite when the world grew smaller and smaller. He dropped the cake in panic as this time he was shooting up, taller, and taller until the top of his head bumped the ceiling of the room he was in.

Tao picked up the key lying on the table, now experienced as he took a sip of the DRINK ME liquid.

He fit the key through the lock, walking into the world that lay beyond.

***

The first thing he noticed were the whispers. There were flowers, that were the same height has him. But they had faces. The flowers were whispering to each other, covering their mouths with their leaves.

“It’s him...”

“The last one...”

Tao tilted his head in confusion, but the expression soon left as he fully took in what the world he had stepped into was like.

Honestly speaking, it was extraordinary in an insane way. Was he hallucinating? The things he saw...they couldn’t be real. Why were they two moons in the sky? Why are the flowers alive? Why is everything so bright? Why do the clouds look like they’re made of jelly?

And why was the a boy who Tao was sure had not been there before, standing in the pathway in front of Tao?

Wait, what was the last one again?

“Who are you?” the boy asked.

The boy was dressed in a lilac blazer. He wore violet, just above knee length shorts with lilac socks pulled to around mid calf. On his feet, he wore shiny, purple shoes. He wore a white button down dress shirt, which was high collared.

Overall, he looked like the perfect image of a private school young boy...but it was purple.

“You’re purple.” Tao blurted out, before covering his mouth in shock. He hadn’t meant for that to come out.

The purple boy stared at Tao for a while, before his bottom lip jutted out trembling. He started to rub his eyes.

“I found you Kai!” another boy came running, no skipping up to the purple boy a smile on his face. The purple boy turned to the one who had just arrived, burying his head into the newcomer’s chest.

“Hyunnieeee he called me bad names,” the purple boy, Kai bawled into ‘Hyunnie’s’ clothes.

Yet again, someone dressed weirdly, Tao mused. The new arrival was dressed exactly like Kai, but in fuchsia and rose.

“You’re pink.” Tao said to ‘Hyunnie’

“See he did it again!” Kai cried, now tugging furiously at Hyunnie’s clothes.

“Who are you?” Hyunnie asked, suspiciously eyeing Tao.

Tao’s mouth formed a perfect ‘O’ shape as he realised that he had forgotten to introduce himself, too busy calling them purple and pink.

“Ah! Mianhamida, I’m Tao.” Tao bowed, smiling.

“Tao? Nice to meet you. I’m Baekhyun. Please don’t mind Kai, he’s babied too much.” The pink one replied, trying and failing to push Kai away.

“So how did you get here? You don’t look like you’re from this...place.” Baekhyun asked. Tao deduced that Baekhyun must be older than him. He spoke with such a mature tone.

“Oh! Some boy dressed in a white rabbit costume led me here. Through a tunnel...no it was a rabbit hole.” Tao laughed, before realising how absurd it sounded. The two boys probably wouldn’t believe him.

He was wrong. Baekhyun stared at Tao for a while, Kai taking his head out of Baekhyun’s chest to stare at Tao too.

“D.O’s mine! Don’t try to steal him!” Kai declared. It broke the tension for the while, while Baekhyun faceplamed himself.

“Who’s D.O?” Tao asked curiously. That was such a weird name.

“Ah, D.O was the boy that you saw. Kai’s rather protective over him, which is weird since he’s the one used to getting protected...anyway me and Kai need to go somewhere. Um... follow us for now...” Baekhyun said. Tao gladly followed the green boy, taking his hand. Kai took Baekhyun’s other hand, still shooting glares at Tao. It really looked like the perfect picture of a mother and her children.

***

After they walked for a while, Baekhyun came to a stop. They were in a clearing, where a pool of sunshi----moonshine lit up the picnic blanket that lay on the floor. Three boys surrounded it. The blanket was filled with all sorts of desserts and pastries. And cake. Tao loved cake.

“Bacon! You’re back!” one of the three boys giggled wildly while stating it. Tao could have sworn Baekhyun rolled his eyes then and there.

“it’s Baekhyun, not Bacon...Yeollie.” Baekhyun smirked. The happy one pouted at that.

It was really strange how everyone seemed to be dressed so...monochromely.

‘Yeollie’ was dressed completely in orange. Personally, Tao believed that orange was a highly unflattering colour but this boy managed to pull it off so well. The boy wore orange military-hinted pants, which orange combat boots. On top, he wore a orange tank top with an ed short sleeve orange top. Most unusually, his hair was a sort of orange brown as well. It stuck out wildly, giving ‘Yeollie’ the appearance of a young mad scientist.

“Who is he?” a boy dressed yellow asked. He was wearing a simply light yellow shirt with bright, incredibly bright shorts. On his feet, he wore long socks with small yellow boots.

“Neh, Baekhyun who is he?” the last boy spoke. He was dressed in blue, wearing a similar style to the yellow boy. But this time in sky blue and in aqua.

Tao could go blind from looking at all these colours. They hurt his eyes.

“He’s Tao.” Baekhyun replied.

“I’m Lay.” The yellow boy spoke.

“Suho.” The blue one answered.

“Hiiiiiii Tao!!!!! I’m Chanyeol!” the orange one yelled, giggling again. Tao could have sworn he was on a permanent high.

“Anyway, Tao we’ll leave you here for now. Me and Kai have other errands to run. We’ll see you later!” Baekhyun waved. He nudged Kai. The purple boy furrowed his eyebrows, a concentrated look coming over his eyes. He clung onto the pink boy’s arm and they slowly faded from sight, Kai’s eyes being the last part that disappeared.

“So Tao...join us!” Chanyeol exclaimed waving a hand at the picnic blanket. The orange haired boy sat down at the far side, leaving Tao the side opposite him on the rectangular rug.

“...What’s your name again?” the yellow one which Tao remembered was called Lay, asked.

“He said it was Tao. Did you forget already Laylay?” Suho teased. Lay flushed red with embarrassment, tilting his head down.

“Ignore them, they’re having a lover’s spat---“ Chanyeol started.

“No we’re not!” the two yelled back, both of them turning red.

Tao laughed, clapping his hands together.

“How old are you all?” Tao asked, curiously.

“I’m 8. So is Bacon! Suho and Lay are 9. And Kai is 6.” Chanyeol answered. Even though he was answering such an uninteresting question, his tone was still so high.

“I’m 7.” Tao answered, sticking out his entire hand of one hand, and a peace sign in the other, giving a total of 7 fingers.

The three of them stared at the boy for a while before they all started laughing. Tao looked down, embarrassed. What had compelled him to do such a thing?

“Tao you’re so cute!” Suho exclaimed, reaching over to pinch the boy’s cheeks. There was a ‘hmph’, and Tao’s attention diverted to that area to discover that Lay had his arms crossed an angry pout on his face. Suho noticed, following his line of sight, then abandoned Tao to take the pouting Lay into his arms.

“Suho and Lay sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S---“ Chanyeol sang, being interrupted yet again when a scone was thrown in his direction. Tao laughed, the sight of Chanyeol with jam and cream in his fluffy hair looked quite the sight of a dog being lathered in shampoo bubbles.

--------------------------------------------------

A/N: Just to say, in EXO Planet there is no system of 'hyung' 'unnie' 'noona' 'oppa'. Because...just because. I dunno I just feel like it. Did you like this chapter? I tried to make it fluffy and cute because I love fluff. Who doesn't love fluff?