Like A Dream

96 Days ㅡ the story

Minhyuk’s POV

As the truck was approaching me, I held my breath. I couldn’t run, nor I could move my body. My hands were trembling and these two small eyes of mine could not move their gaze from the truck.

Dongwoon, mianhae. As your older brother, I couldn’t protect you. I couldn’t even fulfill my promise. Thank you for being so patient and understanding.

Umma, thank you for taking care of me, even though I didn’t grow up well.

And appa… You are scary as hell, but I yeah… as a son, I love you.

As the sound of the coming truck getting louder, I closed my eyes. I closed my eyes tightly. And I was waiting. That was the most suffocating time that I’ve ever had. I was waiting like forever, but in reality…

Nothing happens.

I felt the sound of the truck was fading away from my hearing. I opened my eyes and I could see the same scenery I saw before. I checked my ears, my head, my hand, my arms, my foot, they were still there. I checked my whole body in an instant, but there was no single scratch seen there.

What is this? How?

I quickly turned my head and my eyes couldn’t belive what I saw. The truck from before, the one that about to took my life, now speeding away from me.  Is this even real? How can a truck passing me like I’m invisible? Am I already died?

Dead? It can’t be true, but…

I snapped and my consciousness came back as I heard a sound of sirine. I turned around and saw about three ambulance coming. Rushing, they forcedly open my cars. My eyes widely opened when I saw my body, drenched in blood, carried out of the car.

Cheogi, sir! I’m here!” I tried to call them but they didn’t hear.

“Sir!” I called again. I grabbed his wrist but… surprisingly, I couldn’t. I tried to grap again, but his body was like invinsible.

What is this? Am I inside the lucid dream or something?

They quickly put my body inside the ambulance, and without much thought, I got in as well. The driver started the engine and the ambulance was speeding towards the hospital.

I looked at my body that was lying, and I turned to myself. I looked at it again, and I turned. It was maybe like the hundredth time I did that, but still… I couldn’t get the point.

“This is me right here…” I mumbled and looked at my hands. “But who are you?” I turned to the lying me. “Or that was me…” I looked at myself again. “But who?”

The ambulance stopped before I could think straight. They got off and I quickly got off from the ambulance too. They rushedly carried my body inside and entered the emergency room. I was about to follow them but stopped, when I saw Dongwoon, Mom, and Dad in front of the door.

Mom was holding a tissue, trying to erased the tears that coming non-stop from her eyes.

Dongwoon was shaking her legs impatiently. I know he always did that whenever he was nervous or worried. He bit his lip, trying hard not to let a single of tears coming out from his wet eyes.

And Dad… I saw a different side of him. His eyes that was usually sharp and intimidating, now looked so sad and depressed. He lowered his head and patted Mom’s shoulder, trying to calm her.

I was about to walked towards them but just then, they stood and rushed over to the doctor who came out from emergency room.

“How is my kid, Doc?” Mom asked with shaky voice. The three of them were staring at the doctor expectantly.

“There were no serious external injuries, but some bruises can be seen. It may take up to two weeks until he finally recovers.” Said doctor, earned relieved sigh from my family. But then, the doctor lowered his head and gave them a sad face. “But because of the impact on his head, he hasn’t regained consciousness. He’s in coma.”

Upon hearing doctor’s words, their eyes widely opened. Their face became pale and their expression are worried. I was confused too, since I didn’t understand what happened here.

“Then when he will wake up?” Dongwoon spoke up.

The doctor shook his head slowly. “We don’t know. It can be take weeks, months, or years. But we still have a hope for him to wake up. You can go in and visit him now. As much as possible, please let him hear your voice. I’ll come back later.” He gave them a bow and walked away.

They quickly went inside the room and unfortunately, Dad closed the door. I turned the doorknob, but my hands were invinsible. Gave up, I peeked from the outside.

I saw my body looked so weak and pale, lying on the bed, with bandage wrapped around my head. Mom held my hands, calling me over and over. She finally bursted out to tears as I didn’t gave her any answer nor move an inch.

“Argh!” I screamed as suddenly I felt an extreme pain strike my head. It felt like a thousend of needles stab me from above. I clutched my head to get rid of the pain but it was too painful and I couldn’t hold it any longer. My sight went blur and I fell to the ground. Still holding the pain, I started to lose my consciousness and I... fainted.

 

***

 

I opened my eyes but all I saw was just a blank white. I looked around but no one was there. It was just me, alone, in this white room. Scary.

“Lee Minhyuk ssi?”

I stepped backward in surprised as I heard someone called my name. There was no one there but where was the voice coming?

I didn’t have another choice but answer. “How do you know my name?” I asked, while looking around, trying to find the person.

“I know everything about you.”

I jumped as the person talked again and poked my shoulder. I quickly  turned around, and my jaw dropped. I couldn’t believe what I saw. There was a beautiful woman, seemed in her thirties, dressed in white gown. I opened my mouth, tried to speak but the voice didn’t come out.

The woman smiled. “Your name is Lee Minhyuk, the oldest son of Lee Hyunjin, president of Lee Corp. You have one step brother who is one younger than you named Dongwoon, Son Dongwoon actually, but later changed to Lee Dongwoon because his mother married your father. Ten years ago, your mother died in car accident and…”

She was explaining all the not so important things, and I looked at her. Her voice, her way of speaking, her gaze, I knew they were too familiar.

“Excuse me. Are you listening to me?” She asked as I didn’t move my gaze from her. Yes, I was fascinated by her beauty, but the more fascinating thing is that this woman in front of me was actually…

“M-mom?” Finally a word came out from my mouth. “Am I already in heaven until I get to see you now?”

The woman that I addresed as ‘mom’ laughed because of my blurtness. “Yes, you are already died but this place is not heaven, dear.”

That is. I know I always love the way she laughed. No more doubt. I’m one hundred percent sure that she is my mother. My birth mother.

“Mom!” I said as I hugged her tightly. It was like ten years passed by since the last time I see her.  “I miss you. You don’t seem to get older.” I added.

Mom smiled and hugged me back. “Me too. I’m sorry I have to leave you so early. And of course I look young, dead person can’t get older.”

I frowned. The words ‘dead’ made me remember the accident that happened ten years ago. I was 12 years old and alone in front of my school while it was raining heavily. I forgot to bring my umbrella, and I was too scared to go home by myself. It was near 6 PM already and Mom became worried. Because the rain didn’t stop and night was coming, she decided to pick me up.

If only she just stayed at home, it won’t happen. Yes, if only…

“Don’t blame yourself,” she said, reassured me. “I died because I have to die. You see now Mom is fine, right?” She smiled and looked me with her soft gaze. “Come on, let’s forget the past and think about the future.”

I snapped and back to the real world. “Ah, that’s right. Mom, what happen to me? You said I’m die but–”

“Yes, yes, I know.” Mom cut me off. “Things got messed upa little bit and I’m sorry that you have to deal with this.”

I frowned, confused. “What messed up and what to deal?”

She left out a deep sigh. “Right. You don’t know anything. It will be a bother if I have to explain everything for you, so I’ll just tell you the point.” She looked at me closely before started talking again. “You still remembered the car accident a while ago, right?”

I was thinking for a moment, and finally nodded. Did it happen a while ago? I felt like it was like a long story.

“You died because of that, but actually you shouldn’t die now.” Mom said.

I arched my eyebrow. “Huh?”

Mom left out a sigh. “You know  everyone should die according to the fate that was written, but there are some stubborn people that wants to took their own lives without knowing that they might get other people in trouble because of their stupidity.”

“You mean, suicide?” I guessed.

Mom patted my shoulder. “Yes, you’re right, dear. The previous accident happened because of that stubborn people. I heard there was someone suddleny jumped out to the road and causing the car to crashed one another. I was also surprised to see that you are one of the unfortunates that ride those cars.”

I nodded as I started to understand the situations.

“Then, what about me? Doesn’t it sound unfair? I shouldn’t die right here!” I protested.

“Calm down, Minhyuk. That’s why I’m here.” Mom said with serious tone. “Let me ask you one thing. Do you really, really, really want to live again? Well, it’s not that I told you to die, I’m just saying that being ‘dead’ is not that bad. You won’t face any problems again and you can live freely here.”

There was silence after Mom was done explaining. I fell into a deep thought, thinking whether I should leave the world or no.

Mom was right. Being dead is not that bad actually, but I couldn’t help seeing my family sad and crying. I… I realized that I had been wasting my time. I didn’t live my life properly nor I did things to make my family proud of me. All I did was just make them sad, angry, and ashamed.

I turned to Mom and she was still staring at me closely, waiting for my answer.

“You have decided?” Mom asked.

I nodded slowly. “There are still many things that I have to do. I can’t leave the world just like this,” I looked at Mom and took a deep breath. “I want to live once again.”

Mom smiled seeing me so determined. “Good, then. But there is one condition you have to fulfill before you get your life back.”

I frowned in confusion. “What condition?”

Mom put her two hands on my shoulder. It seemed like she wants to say something very important and I was starting to get worried.

“The condition is…” She paused and I gulped. “You must help six people to get their true love within 96 days.”

My eyes widely opened. “W-what?!”

Mom sigehd and closed her ears as she heard me complaining.

“Help six people to get their true love? For real, t-r-u-e-l-o-v-e? I haven’t even experienced it! And what was that? Six people? Are you sure it was six not three? Isn’t six is a big number? Don’t you think this is too much?”

After I complained, Mom took a deep breath then answering all of my questions.

“Yes, it was really six. Three only happens in drama. Six is indeed a big number, but don’t you think that giving you a life is a big thing too? And what about true love? That’s a good thing for you! Who told you to live as a playboy? You break up once a week, get another girlfriend, play with them, and break up again. Don’t you know that there are many girls out there that are crying because of a guy like you? Ohh, I’m ashamed.”

I looked at my Mom’s whinning, and somehow it reminds me of Dongwoon. She is just the same as him as they both like to scold me. And if  you wonder whether I hate my father because he was re-married with another woman… I don’t. Dongwoon’s mom, or I could say, my later mom, is very kind, understanding and caring. How can I hate her?

“But, mom–” I was going to say some words or at least protect my pride but Mom cut me off.

“Stop. No more complain. You said you will do it, then you have to do it. Mom won’t accept if you take your words back. Arasseo?” She retorted. How could I say no?

“Ne…” I scoffed. “But how? I couldn’t even touch the things how can I help them?” I asked.

“You have one person to help you.” Mom answered. “That person will be the only one who can see you. You have to convince the person no matter what happens because you don’t have any other people to help you.”

I was about to open my mouth but she cut me off, again.

“I still have many other things to do. I should go now, but don’t you dare to slack off because I watched you closely from there.” She warned, deepen the words ‘there’ and point her fingers upwards. “Bye for now.”

“But, mom!” I called her as she disappeared in a flash. I looked around, but she was no where to be found.

Just then, her voice came back again. “Remember, Minhyuk. You only have 96 Days to complete the mission. If not, I’ll drag you here.”

“Mom!” I called her but suddenly the pain from before strike my head again. I growled and clutched my head, holding the pain that was greater from before. It took me down just after a few seconds, and my sight went blur. I started to lose my consciousness but I can clearly hear Mom’s last words.

“Once you opened your eyes, the first person that you saw. That person is the one who will help you.”

***


Sorry guys for the long wait! I was going to update this earlier but these past days I got blown away by Minhyuk's kiss scene OTL
Forgive me, okay?
I'll update later in two hours and the next chapter the name of the chosen applicants will be revealed through the story!
And congrats to all of SG fans that able to meet BtoB today~ I envy you ;___;

Okay, no more blabbing. Stay tuned ;)