One step closer

96 Days ㅡ the story

Minhyuk’s POV

I opened my eyes and realized I was in a very beautiful garden. I let my eyes wandering around and found many kinds of flowers and butterflies, surrounding me. The differences in colors blended as one, creating a warm and refreshing atmosphere.

I took a deep breath and smiled. “Ah, johda…” I said as I walked towards a group of flowers that has pastel colors. Do you know? I really love pastel colors, hehe.

I was about to pick it, but I stopped when I heard a voice came out from nowhere.

“Wake up.”

I looked around but I don’t see anyone. I'm not sleeping, right? Why did strange things always happen to me?

“Wake up.”

“Wake up, ahjussi!”

“Omo!” I snapped when the word ‘ahjussi’ strike into my ears. The beautiful garden that I saw before was vanished as I opened my eyes. Now the only thing that I saw was a girl, looking at me upsetly.

She rolled her eyes. “Can you please move?”

I blinked twice, confused, but I turned around. I realized that I’d been sleeping in front of someone’s door, that most likely this girl’s apartment door.

“Ah, choesunghamnida.” I moved aside and let the girl opened the door. She looked like she was very tired and upset, so I keep silent.

Once you opened your eyes, the first person that you saw. That person is the one who will help you.

“Ah, cheogi…” I called her as she was about to closed the door. She looked at me expectantly, but acually I didn’t know what I should said. “Err… can you see me?”

Upon hearing my question, my stupid question, the girl sighed. “Sorry but I’m not in the mood of joking. If you are really bored, I suggest you to play somewhere else.”

“But, miss–” I called her again and tried to hold the door. But as you know, my hands were invinsible.

Thanks to these new ability of mine, the girl saw me and stopped. I swear for a few seconds she was surprised, but she immediately came back to her usual self.

“What do you want?” She looked at me with her sharp eyes that full of cautions.

“Actually, I don’t want anything but–”

She cut me off.  “Who are you?”

“Miss, I’m not bad person and I’m not going to rob you either. I just want you to help me.”

She looked at me from head to toe. Awkward much. “What help? Why me? How can I trust you?”

I took a deep breath. “I’ll tell you everything, but can we talk about this inside? You know it’s very cold here.” I asked while emphasizing the word cold by rubbing my hands. But as the girl just gave me a suspicious look, i quickly added. “It’s okay if you don’t want to, haha.” I said, letting out some awkward laugh.

A second after that, I told her everything. How I became like this, what I should do and ask her to help me. From the car accident, the invinsible me, and the condition I have to fulfill to get my life back. I told her exactly like how Mom said before. She listened to me explaining, but it seemed like she didn’t like it.

“Are you telling me stories?” She said, as I finished my explanation.

I sighed again. It was obvious that she didn’t believe it. It would be more strange if she believes me easily. Well... she wasn’t even five, right?

“Miss, I know it’s hard to believe but this is real. Me too, didn’t believe it at first but I am really half dead and I should do this to get my life back.” I said calmly.

“How can I believe you?” She asked again, still feeling suspicious towards me.

I blinked twice and thinking for a moment. “You see my hands are invinsible, right? Also, there is no one could see me except you.”

“Really?”

I nodded. I got a little surprised when suddenly she took her cell phone and pressed the snap button. The flash light me and made me squinted. What the hell is this girl doing??

“Omo.” She gasped as she looked at her cell phone with her two eyes widely opened. “This is real.” She said and showed her cell phone to me.

I squinted, and  got a bit surprised too. The photo that she was taken before, there was  no sign of my existence there. It was a blank wall, an empty corridor, without me standing there.

The girl looked at the photo for a while and turned to me. She did that for about fifth times, and the last time, she looked at my eyes. Awkward.

She tapped her forehead. “It will be bad if someone sees me talking alone.” She mumbled and looked around, making sure that there was no one there. “Go in.”

I let out a relieved sigh as she opened the door for me. Aigoo, finally! It was very cold like crazy outside.

Kamsahamnida.” I thanked and gave her a slight bow.

I stepped inside her apartment and looked around. It was not big but not small either. There were nothing special there, but it looked very comfy. A pair of grey sofa and a TV in the living room, a kitchen on the back, and two rooms on left and right, that I assumed as bathroom and this girl’s bedroom. I carefully touched the sofa, and I managed to sit there.

Wait, it was strange. Wasn’t I invinsible?

“You can touch everythings as long as you are in the girl’s house. You can touch her too if you want.”

I was surprised when I heard mom’s voice all of sudden. I looked around but she wasn’t there. She really did watching me from above? And what was that? You can touch the girl if  you want? Ya, do I look like a ert?

“So, what should I do?”

I snapped back as I heard the girl’s question. I looked at her that seemed not so interested in me. “Do you really want to help?” I asked her again, making sure. It was actually a bit strange because she believed me easier than I’d excpected. Before, she was very cautions and cold anyway.

The girl shrugged. “Well, do I have another choice? Truthfully, I don’t want to help you but I know you will chase me forever if I say no.”

I laughed at her sarcasm. “Wow, you are quite smart. But actually it’s not forever since I just have 96 days to do complete the mission.” I added. “Okay, first, I am Lee Minhyuk. What’s your name?”

The girl frowned when I finished introducing myself. “Why?” I asked.

She shrugged again. “Nothing. Just thought that  I've ever heard your name somewhere. Just forget that. I’m Hwang Mirae. Nice to meet you… or not so nice.”

I let out an awkward laugh. Her way of picking words are really something, right?

I coughed. “So, Mirae ssi. Do you live alone?” I asked, just to make sure that there is no one here. It won’t be easy if there is as we can’t speak freely.

“It’s okay, I live alone.” She answered, knowing what I meant. “By the way, can we just passed the formality? I don’t really like it, and you look younger than me.”

I laughed at her straight-forwardness. “Oh, really? Do I look young? I’m 23 already.” I emphasized the age part as I knew she might think that I was still a highschooler. Haha, thanks to this baby face of mine.

“Don’t take this as a compliment but you look childish for your age.”

Dang.

My boastful smile from before vanished. Haha, this girl really know how to be sarcastic.

“I’m turning 22 this year, if you wonder.” She added. “Let’s go back to the point. What should we do now? Being a cupid?” She asked.

“Well… you can think like that. Do you know some people that are still single? Usually singles have problems with love and we can help them.”

Mirae frowned. “Single?”

I nodded. She still frowned, and look at the ceiling, while mumbling some names. Maybe she was thinking for some people?

“They are here! My neighbours!”

I was surprised as Mirae suddenly exclaimed. She was vey calm before.

“I have six neighbours in this floor. Some of them live alone but some live with their family. If I’m not wrong they are all single.” She added.

“Really??” My eyes widely opened. I didn’t know it will be this easy to gather the people.

“We are quite close, and we often hang out together.” She answered.

I jumped out from happiness as I realized that I’d completed one step. “Can you tell me about them and their problems?” I asked, still feeling so happy.

Mirae nodded. “I’ll start from the oldest one, Hwang Minjung. Well, she is actually the same age as me. She is kind and almost perfect, because she’s great in many aspects, but she likes to hide her problems and hard to trust people. Her brother, Chansung, is also a problem. I know he loves his sister, but he’s way too overprotective.  She likes to stalk Minjung wherever she goes, especially when she go on dates. Yeah, you know, it really annoys her boyfriend, and Chansung is the reason for her break-up at most times.”

“Whoa, his brother is really something.” I said.

Mirae agreed. “I pity her, plus she’s also my cousin. I really wish for her happiness.” She took a deep breath and started talk again. “Okay, next. Her name is Kim Daeun. Same with Minjung, three of us are on the same age. She comes from Busan and moves to Seoul to continue study medicine at Seoul National University.”

My eyes widely opened. “Whoa, she is studying medicine? And even SNU?!” I asked, half shouted. You know, SNU is one of biggest university in Korea, that faous of its students that are really smart. I mean, really smart.

Mirae nodded. “Yeah, you can say she is smart. She is also straight-forward, like me. We sometimes tell each other a mean joke, that only us can enjoy it. Even people think that we are fighting at that times. But, behind those tough expressions, she can be weak at times, especially at love. She has a crush, and sometimes she thinks that her crush like her back because he is very kind towards her. But the main problem is, his crush already had a fiancee.”

I wowed again. “So he gives her an empty hope?”

Mirae shrugged. “Well, I don’t know . I ever met him once, from the way he looked at Daeun, I could tell that he likes her. But yeah… he has a fiancee. Daeun usually bright but she has been sad these past days. I don’t want her study to ruin because of this, so I really want to help her.”

I nodded as I understood. But it seemed like the guy was a jerk? She wants two girls at the same time. Well… I know I’m a playboy but at least I’d never been a two-timer.

I sighed. “We can think about it and make a plan. Who’s next?”

Mirae nodded again. “Okay, next is Seunghyun, Song Seunghyun.”

“A guy?” I asked, kinda surprised. “His name reminds me of the guitarist from FT Island.”

Mirae let out a small laugh. “Many people say that, haha. Seunghyun was born in 1993. He is a guy, but he is the shyest among us seven. He is really quiet and doesn’t like to talk, especially with people whom he doesn’t know. He doesn’t have many friends, so he likes to hang out with us a lot, even though we are all girls. But still, he is a guy, and he has a crush.”

“But his crush is the most popular girl at school?” I guessed.

Mirae looked surprised. “Oh, how do you know?”

I let out an ‘ah’ and laughed awkwardly. “That’s what usually happens in drama. Whoa, I don’t know that it could happen in real life, too.”

Mirae agreed. “Yeah, you’re right. It maybe sounds cliché, but Seunghyun is my friend. As a nuna that he depends on, I really want to help him. He really has a serious problem with socialize, plus he likes to think that he is a nerd, to the point that he never had a girlfriend.”

I got surprised once again. “Wow, he is already 20 and never had a girlfriend?”
Mirae frowned. “Why? Does it look so strange for you? You’re a playboy, huh?”

I scratched my hair awkwardly. “Well… not really.” I said, protecting my pride.

Mirae rolled her eyes. “Forget that , I don’t care anyway.” She sighed. “The next is Choi Seojin. She is 1994-liner, 19 years old. You know B.A.P? The maknae, Zelo, is his younger brother.”

“Whoa, really?? I should get their signs first before I leave!” I exclaimed.

“You are really childish.” Mirae said in a sarcastic way. She sighed again before continue explaining. “Well, she is really outspoken and quite dependable for her age. But the problem is, she in love with wrong person.”

“Wrong person?”

“Yep. She said she likes one of the member of B.A.P, but she didn’t tell me the name. She told me that he is very caring and kind towards her, and likes to get jealous whenever Seojin is with another guy. She said she likes it, but she hates it at the same time.”

I clapped as I know something. “Ah, I see. Idols can’t date and make scandal. Plus, B.A.P is still a rookie.”

Mirae agreed. “You’re right. Me too, don’t know whether it is wrong or right, but I think she has to at least have fun. She sometimes overthink this, when she usually not a person who likes to think. That makes me worried.”

I nodded. “I see. Then, who’s next?”

“Umm… next is Park Minhi. She’s the second youngest and likes to rebel a lot. She is straight-forward, stubborn, and likes to do everything based on her feelings. She also hates losing when it comes to sport. But despite of that, she really favors justice and always stand up for bullies.” Explained Mirae.
“That’s good, then. What is her problems?” I asked.

“She doesn’t have boyfriend. Her friends like to address her as a boy rather than a girl. Well, she is quite tomboyish and always pick a fight, that’s why.” She answered.

I clapped again. “Oh, I see! Minhi is the opposite of Seunghyun, right?”

“Yeah. They should change gender.” Said Mirae, without any regrets showing on her face.

I scoffed. “You’re so mean.”

Mirae shrugged. “I’m just joking. Anyway, I kinda know how she felt. She is still a girl, right? She also wants boyfriend of course.” She added.

“Then what about me?” I said jokingly, but Mirae just rolled her eyes and sighed.

“Let’s finish this, I’m getting tired and sleepy.” She yawned. “The last is Hyunmi, Kim Hyunmi, the maknae of us. From personality, she is similar with Minhi, but Hyunmi isn’t a tomboy. She likes dancing and the best at playing instruments. Her dream is to be a famous idol and dancer, but that is the problem. She is too focus on her dream and she doesn’t want to fall in love. Her family is also strict and wants her to study all the time.”

I sighed. “Too bad. She is still young. She has to cherish her high school periods.”

Mirae nodded. “I think so too. That’s why I want to help her. She is stubborn, I think. She bulit herself a wall so that she couldn’t fall in love, and that is wrong.”

There was silence for us after Mirae had done explaining.

I snapped and back to reality. “Ah, is it six already?” I asked.

Mirae started counting with her hands. “Minjung, Daeun, Seunghyun, Seojin, Minhi and Hyunmi. Yes, it is six.” She said, and showed me number six using her fingers. “Ahh, I feel so tired because I talk too much.”

Mirae got up from her sit and went to the kitchen to get some water. I saw her sighed again and drank a glass of water in one shot. At that time I realized, even though she sounds cold and her words are too straight-forward, she still want to help me. Can I say that she’s kind?

“I’m going to sleep. We talked about this again tomorrow.” She said and walked to her bedroom that was on the left of living room where I sat. “I still hope that this is all just a dream…” She mumbled but I can hear clearly what was the mumbling about.

“Goodnight, then.” I said, before she entered her bedroom.

“Oh, goodnight.” She turned to me, and I swear that I saw her smile even though it was just for a second. Kinda… cute?

I snapped when suddenly Mirae opened her bedroom’s door again and looked at me.

“Don’t do anything stupid, and don’t go to my bedroom, you know I don’t trust you one hundred percent.” She warned me then she went back to her room. Geez, just when I thought she's nice.

Arasseo, I can’t even touch the things…” I mumbled after she closed the door. “Oh, wait. Did Mom say about this before?”

“You can touch everythings as long as you are in the girl’s house. You can touch her too if you want.”

I let out an 'ah' and clapped, as I got an idea. I smirked, thinking about what I’ll do from now on. "Let's see..."

***


 

Oh, yeaaaay, i finally updated!
I promised it was 2 hours but in the end it became 3 days... OTL
I fell asleep at that time and I'm too lazy to go online, and also the announcement of final exam.

Just so happy that now I have graduated from high school! Teeheee XD
You can kill me and my lame excuses, i won't mind //dead

And sorry guys this chapter is lame boring and many repetitive words and grammatical errors above there -___-
But at least I got to reveal the chosen applicants!
Whoooo, congrats to HyuuuunMi-AHHpandagirl84xxstargazerrluvkpop99Milky-chan, and FanFicWriter20!!

Also I put some new rules on the foreword page, please check it!

Thank you for everyone who had subscribed and applied to this story.
All of your apps are , I mean it. But still, I have to choose six among you.
You can unsubscribe if you want, it's up to you anyway, but i will cry ;____; hehehe
Hope you'll still enjoy my story! <3

Saranghaeyo~

Also thank you graesybacon for the poster! You're awesome ;)