Teaser

96 Days ㅡ the story

 

It was raining heavily when it was supposed to be summer. Minhyuk, a boy who looked like eighteen but actually in his twenties, slammed his car’s door then running towards his house. He quickly opened the door and came in. He was a little bit surprised when he found his younger brother, Dongwoon, already inside, looking at him upsetly.

“Hyung, where have you been? I called you many times and you didn’t answer even once!”

The older brother didn’t seem to care, he just shrugged. “Taking care of some business.”

“What bussiness?”

“Just this and that…” Minhyuk opened the refrigerator only to find a single bottle of mineral water there. After a gulp, Minhyuk threw himself on the couch, tired.

“Hyung,” called Dongwoon.

“Hm?”

“Where have you been?”

“I answered you.”

“Really?”

“Hm… taking care of some business.”

Dongwoon sighed. “What business… I bet you broke up with your girlfriend again, I’m right?”

Minhyuk quickly turned himself to Dongwoon, rather surprised. “Oh, how did you know?”

Dongwoon rolled his eyes. “You always break up at least once a week, hyung. Which girl this time? Yoora? Soyool? Soojin?”

"Aniya, it was Yejin. Ugh, I don't even want to say her name again."

Dongwoon hissed, "You're mean, hyung."

"You don't know how much i suffered because of her!"

“Yeah yeah, but you should stop playing with them, girls can be scary when it comes to love. You know when I was a kid…”

Minhyuk stared at Dongwoon who keeps nagging. He is the older brother but why he often got scolded by Dongwoon? It was like a disgrace and even though he hated this, he admitted that Dongwoon was more mature than him, in many aspects.

“Hyung, are you listening or not?” Dongwoon stopped nagging when he realized that Minhyuk was just starring at him blankly, expresionless.

Minhyuk huffed. “Thanks God you stop,” he laid his back again on the couch. “Just tell me the point, Dongwoon. What brings you here? You know that I don’t like it when someone sneaks into my house.”

Being ignored like always, Dongwoon just sighed. Minhyuk won’t listen to him anyway. “Well, that… I almost forgot. Dad wants you to come home this Saturday, he told you to wear something formal.”

After Dongwoon ended his sentences, there was silence for a moment. In the other side, Minhyuk didn’t answer, but he frowned instead. It seemed that he was thinking about something.

He clapped as he finally remembered. “Nah, I won’t go.” He refused, sarcastically.

Dongwoon who got offended by Minhyuk’s answer, protested, “Wae??”

Minhyuk glared at him. “You asked me why??”

“Yes, I asked you why!”

Minhyuk rolled his eyes. “Aiss, jinjja… Ya, I know it will be a blind date again, you brat!” He retorted and smacked Dongwoon’s back hard.

“Aww!” Dongwoon desperately rubbed his back. “Please hyung, if I can’t bring you home I’m dead!”

Minhyuk turned his head to side. “Then see you at  your funeral.”

“Hyung!” Dongwoon shrieked hearing his brother’s sarcasm.

Minhyuk asserted again, “I told you many times that I won’t do this!”

“I swear the girl is different from before!”

“Still, no!”

“But–”

“Tell Mom and Dad if they keep doing this, I will stay single for all my life!”

DUARRR

Just when Minhyuk said those words, a sound of thunder boomed.

Dongwoon gasped, “Hyung, be careful with your words!”

Minhyuk blinked twice and gulped, slightly frightened. He didn’t really mean to say that, but nature heard his words. What to do if it will really happen? Oh no, God, just please forgive him this once.

Minhyuk cleared his throat up before speaking, “Forget about that. The point is, I won’t go home tomorrow. You heard my answer, right? Now, go.”

“But, hyung!”

“Dongwoon! How many times I should I tell you? I’m super tired now, just go so hyung can get some rest.”

Almost give up, Dongwoon gave a last try. He kneeled down. “Please help me this once, hyung.” Said Dongwoon with a serious tone. “Dad will confiscate everything from me if I fail.”

Minhyuk was surprised seeing Dongwoon kneeling. “Everything?”

Dongwoon nodded. “My phone, my car,  even my apartment…” He said like he was about to cry. “Please, hyung?”

Minhyuk looked at Dongwoon, feeling sorry. He knew their father is a strict one. He meant every each of his words, never take them back. When he said he will confiscate, then he will.

Minhyuk left out a deep sigh. “Okay, then.”

Dongwoon looked at Minhyuk, surprised. “Jinjja yo? Hyung, gomawo!” He hugged his older brother and jumping around. “Just go to the dinner, have a small chat and go. That’s it.”

Minhyuk rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah, I know that. So, can you please go now? Hyung is very tired.”

Dongwoon grinned. “Okay, hyung! I take my leave now!” He said happily and quickly ran towards the door. Just before he went outside, he yelled. “Minhyuk hyung, saranghae yo!”

Hearing those words, Minhyuk left out a small chuckle. Seeing Dongwoon acted like a kid, he finally felt that he was the older brother. He laid again on the couch, which felt a hundred times more comfortable than before.

“Well… it’s true that he is more mature, but what he can do without me?” said Minhyuk proudly.

He yawned as he finally be able to rest. He closed his eyes and slowly he fell to a deep sleep.

***


Minhyuk's POV

“Oh, .”

I let a curse word come out from my mouth. Who cares. It had been two hours since I had waited here, alone, stucked in the middle of traffic jam. It wasn’t even holiday but what the hell this traffic jam doing over here?

You make me go insane, she give me so much pain, I won’t be back again…

“Yeah, I’m going insane!” I said frustatedly as I heard my phone ringing. I took a glance and saw Dongwoon’s name on the caller ID. Lazily, I placed the earphone and pressed green button on the screen.

“Hyung, where the hell are you?!” Dongwoon had yelled out before I could even say a thing. Aiss, this kid…

“Oh, wae?” I asked, pretending to be calm.

Upon hearing my reaction, I heard Dongwoon’s sigh from the other side. “Hyung. Don’t tell me you forget today’s blind date.”

“I don’t.” I answered.

“Then why are you late? It has been one hour but–”

“Hear, Dongwoon. I had been stucked in traffic jam since two hours ago. Stop with the nag and wait me there. I hang up.”

I pressed the red button quickly before Dongwoon could talk back. Yeah, I know I was late for one hour already. Blame this traffic jam, not me. But, wait. Actually I was not that unhappy with this traffic jam. At least, I could stay relaxed before the match-make thingy. Oh, and I would be very thankful if the dinner is cancelled.

You make me go insane, she give me so much pain, I won’t be back again…

I heard the phone ringing once again. I wanted to ignore it so badly, but Dongwoon would just keep calling and calling. In the end, I gave up myself and picked up the phone.

“What again, you brat?!” I said upsetly, half shouted.

But it was strange. Dongwoon didn’t answer, but coughed instead. Wait, this voice…

“You called your father a brat?”

Dang.

I know right. It feels like my head was being hit by a ton of milestone.

A-abeoji…” I stuttered, half scared actually.

“No more talk, come here in ten minutes or you’re dead.”

Pip, pip, pip…

For a moment, the hang up tone echoed in my ear. Really, I still couldn’t belive this. Die? How can a father tell his children to die? He wants to kill me? And how can I supposed to get out of this traffic jam?!

“Argh!” I growled as I pressed the horn violently.

Like a magic, the cars before me were starting to move slowly. I swear the road was so packed a minute ago, but now I could see a clear path between those vehicles somehow.

“What is this. Did Dad send a miracle?” I talked to myself, amused.

As I reached the freeway, I started to become more relaxed, but not with this. The phone was ringing over and over then I became so impatient. Without much thought, I drove my car over the limit speed. There wasn’t much cares so who cares.

Just when I thought things starting to get smoothly, I realized my bad luck wasn’t end there. After a half way, rains were starting to pour down. Thunders were starting to come out, followed one another and it was raining like crazy.

“Seesh, I even forget to wear my lens.” I cursed as I the wiper.

Just then, I remembered I bring my glasses along in my bag. I loosened the seatbelt and reached my bag which I put on the back seat. My right hand was desperately trying to find the glasses while my left hand was still on the steering wheel. A few minutes struggling, but I still couldn’t find my glasses. It was too dark and with this bad sight of mine, I couldn’t even see a thing.

Just when I thought I should stopped the car for a while, a sound of collision heard. My sight was blur, I didn’t know what to do but I was sure the sound didn’t come from a far. In a second, another collision heard and my eyes caught a sight of car stopped in front of me all of sudden.

“!” I was panicked. I tried to step on the brake but it was too late for that. I hit the bumper hard and I felt like my body was thrown outside. My head hit the ground, I felt the pain there but my body wasn’t hurt. There wasn’t even a single blood seen. And the strangest thing is, how can I threw myself out when the car glass wasn’t even crashed?

With the confusion and small energy I had, I tried to stand up but my head was spinning. Just then, I saw a big light coming from behind. The light was so blinding so I squinted my eyes to see what was there.

“U-oh.” I said in fear, with my eyes widely opened. I swore... I swore I saw a truck speeding towards me.

What should I do? What should I do?

My mind was in a mess, I tried to ran but my body couldn’t. In the end I just starred blankly at the truck that was approaching me closely. Somehow I knew…

I knew this will be the end of my life.

***