The Dream

The Room

 

            You both peaked inside and saw… a toilet? That’s it? That’s what he’s been working so hard to open? Gosh darnit!

            “Good,” Eli smiled. “I have to go to the bathroom.” He closed himself in the new room.

            “But once you get out, you’re going to open the other door, right?” You shouted through the door. You heard a muffled ‘Yes. Go away.’

“But I don’t have another bobby pin!” you realized.

The toilet flushed and the door opened. “Darn. Do you have anything that’s sharp in your purse?” Eli asked.

“hmmmm,” you hummed with a mouthful of noodles. “I think I have a pencil or something,” you said as you dug around in your purse. You pulled out an extremely dull pencil. “That’s all I got, but there are chopsticks and a big knife over there.” You pointed to the kitchen.

“Well maybe I can sharpen it with the knife.” He took the pencil and began to sharpen pencil like a cave man.

“Is it okay if I take a nap for a little while? I didn’t get much sleep last night,” you said realizing your sudden tiredness.

“Yeah that’s fine. I’ll wake you up when I open this other door.”

You lay back on the bed, sinking into its comfortableness, and drifted off to sleep.

 

“Wake up, my princess. We are free at last,” Eli your face with his free hand.

“You opened the door? That’s fantastic!!” you said clinging on to Eli’s strong arm. He wasn’t wearing a shirt anymore, only his wife beater and his grey sweat pants. You noticed that your wardrobe changed as well. You were wearing just your undershirt and jeans. You thought about asking Eli where your jacket and scarf went, but you were too excited about seeing what was behind that door. You hoped that it was a way out.

Eli grabbed the handle. “You ready?” Eli smiled. “One… two… THREE!” The door flew open, and there stood a clown. He had a painted tear on his face and yet he was wearing an evil smile, but most horrifying of all, he had a sharp, bloody knife in his hand. He chuckled menacingly and lunged forward, ing the knife straight for you and Eli.

“NO!!” you shouted, waking up from your dream. Eli, who had been trying to wake you, jumped back a few feet in shock of you screaming in his face.

“Whahh!!” Eli screamed. “Are you ok? I’m sorry!! I wont ever try to wake you up again!” You looked at him with wide eyes, still recovering from your nightmare.

“Uh… no… I’m sorry. I… I had a bad dream,” you said releasing the death grip you had on the comforter. “Did you open the door?” you asked slightly afraid of what could be behind the door.

“Uh, no. That’s why I was going to wake you. I need some help. Could you push on the door? The lock is digging into the sides…” You looked at him realizing that he was only wearing his wife beater, and you looked down at yourself and your jacket and scarf were missing. Just like in your dream.

“Umm,” you began with a shaky voice. “Where are my clothes?” you asked realizing the similarity of this situation with your dream.

“Oh, I needed to lift the door up from the bottom so I jammed my them and my shirt underneath. I didn’t think you would mind. But I should have asked first. I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright,” You said, nervously rubbing your arms. “So you need me to push the door?”

“Yeah. I’ll try to angle the pencil in the right way while you push on it.” You started to push very lightly, half hoping the door would open, and half praying that it wouldn’t for
fear that your dream would become reality. Suddenly a light click was heard around the room. You both looked at each other. On his face was a relieved smile while yours was twisted showing your fear.

Eli realized this. “Are you alright?” he asked, puzzled. 

You stepped back from the door and shrunk behind him as though you were going to use him as a shield. You accidently stepped on the knife then picked it up, realizing that if you had it, the evil clown could not use it against you.

“I just… I have a bad feeling about this.” You didn’t want to admit that you were afraid of a clown popping out. He would think you were so weird.

He gave you a weird look before turning towards the door and twisting the handle. The door opened with a very loud squeak, which made you shiver and hide behind Eli even more. You both peered into the blackness that was behind the door.