Day 158

A Little Too Late

              

 

               Yixing unlocks and turns the doorknob, his heart thumping with excitement. To his surprise, the apartment was empty. Yixing walks inside and starts looking through each room, trying to sooth his mind.

               Maybe she went out.

               As Yixing enters their bedroom, his heart starts to fill with hallow space. He opens the closet and finds that none of your clothes are there, it only held his own clothes that he left in Changsha.

               Without a second to lose, Yixing heads straight for the door for his next destination. The thought of losing you made his heartbeat pang against his ribcage, with fear and distraught.

               “Ma! Ma! Are you there?” Yixing knocks on the door, hoping for some response.

               The door opens and the loving middle aged woman appears before his eyes.

               “Ma!” Yixing runs into her embrace.

               “My son…you’re back.” She chuckles, soothing his back.

               “I missed you, and her…” He mumbles, letting out the tears he had been holding after accepting the breakup. He attempted to maintain his image of Lay, but in his mother’s arms, he is only the vulnerable Zhang Yixing that hid behind his mother’s skirt as a child.

               “I know…” Yixing’s mother brings her son into home, ready to discuss about you. Yixing on the dark wooden chair, his arms support his head as he looks down in despair. She pours a cup of Yixing’s favourite green tea and places in front of him. “Tell me, what are you going to do now?”

               Yixing looks at his mother, eyes wavering with confusion. “I don’t know, she’s gone…she packed all her belongings.”

               It was not easy for a mother to watch her child to be in pain. However, she knew that he deserved the punishment in order to learn from his mistakes. And when he does, Yixing will become a better man.

               “My son, it was not an easy decision for her.” His mother pauses, “She did it out of the good for you, you were hurting her too much. No matter how tough she looked, all women do want someone who cares and cherishes for them.”

               “You knew about this? And you didn’t tell me?” Yixing asks, surprised about his mother’s words.

               “Yes, I’m sorry son.”

               “Then tell me, where she is. Please.” Yixing begs, “I…I need to tell her that I love her.”

               “I can’t tell you if you are just going to hurt her again.” Yixing’s mother gently scolds her son, taking your side.

               “Ma, please…I know I’ve done wrong.” Yixing whispers, his mind being with guilt and sorrow for his mistreatment towards you. “I need to repair the wound I created.

               “You can’t fix shattered glass.” She breathes.

               “With determination, you can do anything.” Yixing’s eyes no longer showed confusion and weakness, but filled with willpower and passion.

His mother looks at him for a while, seeing his son finally become the responsible and mature man like his father. And through his eyes, she could see the love his son carried for you.

               “She left Changsha.” She whispers, “She went back to New York.”


              

              “You’re finally here!” Vicky hugs your arm and pulls you across the port onto the boat. Jason invited his friends and co-workers to a Christmas party on his private yacht. Although you didn’t return his feelings, everyone around him knew that his heart was taken by you.

               “______!” Jason grins and brings you over to the group of people he was talking to before. You could feel that they all showed pride in their background of high education and well-off families. “This is the girl I’ve been telling you guys about.”

               You smile and give a small bow. Jason’s male friends return with a smile and a friendly wave. However, some of his female friends didn’t seem very satisfied with you, especially the one with a chic bob cut.

               “So you’re his girlfriend.” She smiles, but it doesn’t reach her eyes. You freeze at the awkward statement, thinking of ways to explain without hurting Jason.

               “Ah tha-”

               “Sarah, I already told you. We’re friends. Please don’t try to make ______ feel awkward.” Jason snaps, eyes gleaming with defiance and hurt. You look at Jason, a little guilty for not accepting him as your boyfriend although he often expresses his affection for you.

               “Fine by me. I just don’t want my best friend loving someone that will never return his feelings back.” She looks away, taking a sip of her champagne.

               I see…best friend. But why is it that I feel she likes Jason?

               The conversation continued, it wasn’t like you couldn’t join the conversation. You just felt a little uncomfortable, as if it wasn’t where you wanted to be.

               “Excuse me for a while.” You smile and quietly exited the talking circle. You could feel Jason’s eyes on you and wanting to stop you, but Sarah pulls him back into the conversation.

               You wander out onto the balcony of the yacht. The moon and stars were out, glimmering in the dark sky. You suddenly smile, admiring the diamond studded star necklace around your neck. You haven’t worn it for a long time as it brought you bittersweet feelings. However, it felt like the necklace was suitable for today’s occasion.


 

               “What are you looking at?” Yixing asks you, his sweet smile reflecting through his warm voice towards you. You quickly spin around and see Yixing trying to look at what you were admiring.

               “N-nothing! Come on, let’s go eat! I’m hungry.” You exclaim, nervously pulling him away from the store.

               After the meal, you contently look out the window.

               “Ah…it’s raining.” You slightly pout, “And we don’t have an umbrella.”

               Yixing looks at you and smiles. He is defenceless whenever your subtle aegyo makes an appearance. It makes him want to go all lengths in order to protect you. “I’ll go buy one right now. Wait here for me okay?” He leans in and gives you a quick peck on the cheek. Before you can say another word, Yixing leaves and his figure disappears in the heavy rain.

               Half an hour has passed, Yixing has still not come back.

               “Where is he?” You redialed his number but there was no response. Your palms turn clammy as your fingers start to feel jittery and nervous. “What if he got into an accident…? It’s raining so hard outside.” You feel your tears coming out from worry when suddenly you hear the door open and Yixing comes in, drenched in rain and huffing for air.

               “WHERE WERE YOU!” You shout, “YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I WAS?” You run to him and start hitting his chest. Yixing pulls you into a tight embrace as a happy smile appears on his face. As sadistic as it sounds, Yixing loves how worried you were for him.

               “It’s alright. I’m fine.” He comforts you, running his fingers through your hair.

               “You idiot.” You mumble.

               Yixing pulls away and cups your face in his hands, wiping the tears away. “I’m sorry that I made you worry. But I hope this makes up for it.” He laughs embarrassedly as he opens a small dark blue case.

               “It-it’s the necklace!” You gasp. “How did you know?”

               Yixing laughs, “What kind of a boyfriend would I be if I couldn’t tell that my girlfriend wanted this necklace so bad?”

               He gently twists a piece of stranded hair behind your ears.

               “This necklace is perfect. Whenever I’m not here, it will protect you in my place because it’s a 星星 (xing xing)”

               You start laughing at the childish pun of his name while tears continued to trickle down your face. You know you look like a mess with mixed emotions of happiness, worry, and relief. But in Yixing’s eyes, you are the most beautiful person he has ever met.

               “Merry Christmas.” He whispers, as he closes the space between the both of you and place his lips onto yours.


               You chuckle softly remembering how stupidly worried you were for Yixing that night. Holding the necklace in your hand, you continue to admire the sky when somebody suddenly bumps you from the back.

               “Oh sorry!” You recognize her as one of Sarah’s friends from earlier. “I didn’t see you there.”

               “It’s okay.” You try to put on a forgiving smile but you could feel that her actions weren’t accidental. Feeling a bit chilly, you tighten the scarf around your neck when you notice that the necklace was missing.

               “It’s gone!” You breathe.

               “What is?” The woman asks, slightly surprised at how upset you sounded.

               “M-my necklace!” You scurry across the balcony, trying to look for a shining star. The woman, feeling a little guilty, joins the search with you.

               “Is…it that one over there?” She whispers, pointing the edge of the yacht, beyond the metal safety bars. Your eyes widen as you run and try to climb over the bars.

               “Are you crazy?” She pulls on your arm, “It’s dangerous!”

               You turn your head around and glare at her. “Then are you going to help me get it?” You hiss. The woman slowly loosens the grip and looks down in shame. “Thought so.” You mutter.

               One of your arms grab onto the bar while the other is reaching for the necklace. Fortunately, it was hooked onto a metal knob at the tip of the boat. You slowly reach for the necklace while your fingers turn white trying to pull against your weight. “So close…” You whisper, then feeling the metal chain in between your fingers. Your heart beats in relief when suddenly a gush of strong wind weakens your hold on the bar and your fingers lose the grasp.

               Your body falls forward as you feel the stinging ice cold water hitting your face.

               The coldness feels like I’m in Changsha again.

               Then blackness drowns your conscience.

 

a/n: yay~ finally a longer chapter

hehehe anyways

dun dun dun~ i wonder what happened! ~~

you shall find out next chapter hehe

i love you guys for reading this!! ^_^