Under the Bird Tree (2/3)

Under the Bird Tree [WINGS AND FINS CONTEST ENTRY]

 

When Kyuhyun came to the Bird Tree one day, he knew something was wrong.

 

“Min Hyung?” Kyuhyun called out curiously, walking through the gate and looking around. The playground was quiet, there was no one in the swings, the slide was empty and the monkey bars were bare.

 

He walked to the Bird Tree, but Sungmin’s usual spot, the area of grass that was pressed down from Sungmin sitting on it continuously, was lacking a certain someone. Walking in a complete circle around the tree, as if he might be hiding behind it, Kyuhyun even checked the bushes, but Sungmin wasn’t to be found.

 

Worry beginning to gnaw at his heart he settled himself in spot under the Bird Tree and sat down rigidly. It felt so… Wrong. It was the first time in all these years that he was without Sungmin. He wasn’t supposed to be alone. This was their spot. “Sungmin’s fine,” Kyuhyun grumbled to himself as he slapped himself out of his thoughts. “He’s fine,” he repeated before resting against the tree and waiting.

 

As each hour passed Kyuhyun’s face grew paler and his heart beat faster. He was chewing on his lip rather aggressively and had tasted blood more than once. His fingernails were digging into his hands and at any sound he would whip around, looking for the familiar sleek black head of hair only to be disappointed.

 

“No, no, no…” Kyuhyun kept whispering, his worst fears attacking him from behind, the shadows of his mind growing and converging on all his other thoughts. “He’s fine,” he repeated, more fiercely this time. Sungmin was fine, he wasn’t, no, couldn’t be-

 

The sound of the gate opening filled the empty air.

 

“Kyu-”

 

Sungmin didn’t even get to finish as he was suddenly tackled, Kyuhyun wrapping his skinny arms around Sungmin’s waist. Shocked, Sungmin was about to shove Kyuhyun off of him, about to that he was being a clingy baby, when he realized the boy was shaking and there were soft sobs coming from where Kyuhyun’s head was nestled into his shoulder. The boy had gotten taller and Kyuhyun was a few inches taller than him now. Sungmin couldn’t help noticing how well they fit together.

 

“Yah, Kyuhyun, what’s going on,” Sungmin said, frowning, hands instinctively wrapping around his dongsaeng and his hair. Sungmin loved Kyuhyun’s hair for it was very soft and slightly curly. It always reminded him of a poodle, though Kyuhyun hated the comparison. Eventually Kyuhyun had admitted his hair had a poodle like quality and said that since Sungmin couldn’t have a dog of his own, he could have Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun stood up suddenly, almost sending Sungmin falling backwards and shocking him out of his thoughts. He turned to Sungmin, their eyes locking, his body stiff and his hands clenched. “Don’t EVER do that again,” he bit out. As tears began to pool in his eyes he turned quickly away, refusing to cry in front of him.

 

Sungmin frowned, not appreciating his attitude. “What’s your problem?" He snapped, anger clouding his thoughts. He didn’t need Kyuhyun’s childish attitude now, not with his parents-

 

Suddenly, Kyuhyun launched himself forward and latched onto Sungmin again. Sungmin seemed to stiffen in his arms but didn’t pull away, so Kyuhyun didn’t let go. Eventually, Sungmin wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun and started to rock him, humming quietly as Kyuhyun’s sobs softened to small sniffles.

 

Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Kyuhyun could tell Sungmin was tired. He had bags under his eyes and looked like he wanted to collapse. His skin was extremely pale and his hair was dull. He looked exhausted.

 

Swimming in his own guilt Kyuhyun pulled away and wiped his eyes, sniffling. Sungmin’s hums stopped but he was smiling.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

They both froze when they spoke at once but then their faces settled into soft grins. “Yah, what are you sorry for,” Sungmin said with a laugh as he ruffled Kyuhyun’s hair who stuck his tongue back out at him.

 

“’Cause I shouldn’t have yelled at you,” Kyuhyun said, sitting down and running a hand through his hair. It seemed Sungmin had gone through a lot that week and he had only made it worse. He wanted to punch himself for his stupidity and his lack of emotional control.

 

Sungmin grinned and poked Kyuhyun in the forehead. “It’s okay, kid,” he murmured as he sat down next to him in his usual spot. “I’m sorry for showing up late.”

 

Curious but also hesitant to ask, Kyuhyun mumbled a quick, “what happened?”

 

Sungmin paused and Kyuhyun could tell he was uncomfortable. Sungmin never spoke about his parents, ever. Sungmin then quickly shrugged, trying to look nonchalant. “My parents came over,” he said quietly. “We got into a fight. No big deal.”

 

Wishing he had never asked, Kyuhyun reached his hand out and touched Sungmin’s, laying his right over his hand. “Sorry for asking,” he said quietly.

 

Sungmin turned his hand over, wound their fingers together and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. “It’s fine.”

 

 

“HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY LEE SUNGMIN~!”

 

Sungmin looked up in surprise as Kyuhyun sprinted into the play ground wielding thirteen multi colored balloons, screaming at the top of his lungs.

 

“Kyu, you look like a crazy person-”

 

Sungmin grunted as Kyuhyun suddenly tackled him into a hug. “Kyu, you’re squishing me.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed before taking a step back and stuffing the group of balloons into Sungmin’s face. “HAPPY THIRTEENTH BIRTHDAY MINNIE!”

 

“Yah! I told you not to call me Minnie,” Sungmin snapped, though there was a hint of a smile in his voice. He took the balloons, grinning when he realized what they were.

 

Birds.

 

Thirteen beautiful bird shaped balloons of various colors, making a rainbow in the sky, just for Sungmin.

 

Sungmin’s fingers slowly loosened.

 

And one by one the balloon strings slipped from his fingers, flowing until not a single one remained in his hand.

 

Kyuhyun watched in shock as the balloons were released from his hands and began their ascent into the sky. “Min, what are you doing…?”

 

Sungmin watched the balloons float to the sky for another moment before turning to Kyuhyun, a soft smile on his face. He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around the younger boy, relaxing into the hug like it was the most natural thing ever.

 

“Thank you… Kyuhyun.”

 

 

“Min Hyung.” Sungmin grunted in response to show he was listening, too engrossed in his recent toy. Kyuhyun had gotten him a small digital camera for his Christmas and Sungmin hadn’t let it go since then. “Yah, stop playing with that camera,” Kyuhyun whined. “If I knew you would be paying so much attention to it instead of me, I wouldn’t have gotten it for you.”

 

At this Sungmin did look up, stick his tongue out at Kyuhyun, before looking down again. He was dressed in his usual t-shirt and loose pants, the same clothes he had worn for the past five years, except he was wearing a large oversized jacket since it was getting colder out. Kyuhyun had long ago decided Sungmin would look amazing if he dressed up and was determined to get Sungmin in a suit one day.

 

A sudden flash blinded Kyuhyun momentarily and he blinked in shock. “Jeez, could’ve warned me,” Kyuhyun said, blinking away the light blinding him.

 

“Cheese?” Sungmin grinned before glancing at the picture. “Wow, you really do look like a poodle,” he teased, bringing up their old jokes from years ago.

 

“Says the one that still looks like a five year old… And acts like one too,” Kyuhyun teased.

 

“I’m fourteen!” Sungmin said defiantly, pouting.

 

Kyuhyun raised one eyebrow, giving Sungmin an amused look. “So you say…”

 

“Shush,” Sungmin said, barely paying attention as he leaned over to Kyuhyun, the camera in his hands. “How do you work the video thingy?” He asked with his eyes wide with curiosity.

 

“Wow, you really are technologically challenged,” Kyuhyun said with a snort as he took the camera from Sungmin’s hands and pressed a button. “Say hi,” he said as held it up to Sungmin’s pouting face.

 

“I am not technologically challenged!” Sungmin said as he crossed his arms over his chest and made a face.

 

“Jeez, you’re such a baby,” Kyuhyun said as he stuck his tongue out at Sungmin who returned the gesture.  “Just say hi!”

 

Sungmin motioned with his fingers that his ‘lips were sealed’, grinning. “Only if you do it with me!” He said.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes dramatically, as if it was the worst thing ever, before turning around and sitting next to Sungmin, moving closer to him and wrapping his arm around him. He waved to the camera. “Hi future Lee Sungmin and Cho Kyuhyun!” He said and Sungmin grinned, waving. “This is present day Sungmin and Kyuhyun. Um… hi!”

 

Sungmin laughed and nudged Kyuhyun. “Say something to your future self!”

 

“Ahhh,” Kyuhyun paused, contemplating. “Well, future Kyuhyun, I hope you stay best friends with that weirdo Lee Sungmin. He may be a dork and is weird and strange and yes, he may like bunnies and pink a little too much but he’s a good kid. So you better be nice to him!”

 

Sungmin laughed and nodded at the camera. “You better, future Kyu!”

 

They laughed before Kyuhyun nudged Sungmin in the side. “Your turn,” he said, smiling.

 

Sungmin paused for a moment too, thinking of what he would say. “Dear future Sungmin,” he said, staring straight at the camera with a look that Kyuhyun could only wonder what it meant. “I hope, one day you’ll get your wings.” He then grinned and waved cutely. “Bye-bye~!”

 

 

When Sungmin didn’t show up one week, this time Kyuhyun had learned not to get over agitated so he sat there as calmly as he could counting how many birds there were. He lost count after thirty since they kept moving around and he was sure he counted one of the hummingbirds four times by accident. So when Sungmin entered through the fence a few hours later Kyuhyun calmly looked up and waved, the look on his face not revealing the true anxiety he was feeling.

 

“Hey hyung,” Kyuhyun said, easily hiding his concern. He paused though when he noticed Sungmin seemed deep in though. “Are you… Alright?”

 

“Kyuhyun… I’m going to school tomorrow.”

 

Kyuhyun blinked in confusion, head tipping to the side involuntarily. For a moment he thought he had heard wrong. “What?” He asked, confused.

 

Sungmin turned to him with one of the brightest smiles he had seen in years. He seemed to shine. “I’m going to high school tomorrow.”

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened in surprise and he was sure he forgot to breathe for a moment. “You’re… healthy?”

 

After a shy nod, Kyuhyun’s face split into a huge smile and jumped up, grabbing Sungmin and swinging him around the playground, jumping and laughing, not caring how weird they may look. “My high school? Tomorrow? This is amazing Min, I can’t wait!”

 

Kyuhyun then grabbed Sungmin and sat down and started telling him stories of high school. Once, one of his friends named Zhou Mi had gotten in trouble for wearing bright pink skinny jeans instead of his uniform. Detention and his parents were called to bring him school appropriate pants. One of the students claimed they saw Zhou Mi being forcibly stripped by his mom since he wouldn’t change on his own.

 

Eunhyuk, Leeteuk and Shindong had once started a food fight in the cafeteria and not gotten caught. How they had thrown a whole bowl of clam chowder in another students face and not gotten in trouble was a mystery to everyone.

 

Their class president Heechul was a total diva and was caught making out with his boyfriend in the bathroom once. Heechul claimed he was just killing a bug. On Hankyung’s face. With his lips.

 

They had gone on a class trip to the zoo and the teacher had lost Kibum for an hour only to realize he had been sitting at one of the tables for the whole time. It had been hilarious how the teacher had been freaking out, yelling, has anyone seen Kibum?!?! While running around like a chicken without a head. Later on Kibum claimed he had had his earphones in and couldn’t hear, but one of his best friends said that he had been enjoying teasing the teacher.

 

During the school’s Halloween party Ryeowook had been dared to go alone into the Haunted House but had ended up crying and screaming as he ran his way out only after five seconds. On the other hand Yesung had walked through the whole thing without batting an eye.

 

“Wow,” Sungmin said, amazed as he leaned back, imagining the life of a high school student. “You’re friends sound nice,” he murmured.

 

“They are they’re great.” Kyuhyun grinned. He reached out for Sungmin’s hand and he relished in the prefect fit of their hands together. “Don’t worry; I’ll introduce them to you tomorrow. They’re really nice.”

 

“I can’t wait,” Sungmin closed his eyes and smiled.

 

 

Kyuhyun had been waiting for thirty minutes since he got off his bus. It was exactly 7:40 and the bell would ring in a few minutes and he’d have to go to class. He bit his lip, eyebrows furrowing as he scanned the crowd for Sungmin’s familiar mop of black hair.

 

Maybe he’s just too short I can’t see him, Kyuhyun said to himself, trying to ease the tension that was running through his bones.  He balanced on his tippy toes but realizing he still wasn’t tall enough, he walked to the rock wall and tried to climb up it.

 

“Yah, Cho, what are you doing?”

 

“Go away Kim!” Kyuhyun called as he attempted to pull himself on top, though not doing a good job of it.

 

“I hope you know climbing school property is against the rules, Cho.” Kim Heechul raised his eyebrows, eyeing Kyuhyun’s pathetic form as the little skinny boy tried to pull himself onto the rock wall. “Jeez Cho, gain some muscle before you try that at least.”

 

“Like you enforce the rules, oh mighty class president,” Kyuhyun said as he jumped down, giving up since he was unable to reach.

 

Choosing to ignore that, Heechul walked over to Kyuhyun and leaned against the wall next to him. “Where’s your friend? The one you’ve been talking about for the past… I don’t know, five years?”

 

“Six,” Kyuhyun said, holding his head up high. “His names Sungmin and he’s fifteen now, and I met him when he was nine so that’s six years.”

 

Heechul smirked. “Cute.” He then ran a hand through his hair, fixing his bangs. “Anyway, where is he?”

 

Kyuhyun bit his lip, his anxiety creeping back in. “I have no clue. He was supposed to be twenty minutes ago.”

 

Heechul shrugged. “He’ll be here eventually. You better get to class though, don’t want to miss it.” He started walking away just as the bell rang. He paused though and turned around. “Can’t wait to meet this guy of yours though,” he said and winked.

 

Kyuhyun scowled at him but Heechul just waved him off before walking away.

 

“Come on Min, where are you…?”

 

 

Kyuhyun went to class without seeing Sungmin. He had waited five minutes after the bell had rung before running to his first period class. His teacher had scolded him but Kyuhyun had barely registered the words, his attention focused on the door as he waited for Sungmin to step through it.

 

When Sungmin didn’t show up for first period, Kyuhyun felt a knot tighten in his stomach.

 

When Sungmin didn’t show up for second period, Kyuhyun began to truly worry.

 

“Kyu, I can see you’re distracted.”

 

Kim Ryeowook, Kyuhyun’s seat partner, nudged Kyuhyun, grabbing his attention from where it was focused alternating between the door and the clock.

 

“Huh? Oh yeah, sorry,” Kyuhyun mumbled, eyes flickering back to the door before turning to Ryeowook.

 

Ryeowook sighed before putting his hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder. “Go,” he said.

 

Kyuhyun stiffed. “I-I can’t just leave class…” He knew how it would look on his school records. And then his father would find out…

 

“Go to the nurse, maybe you’ll feel better afterward,” Ryeowook said, a slight hint in his voice.

 

Kyuhyun paused another moment before nodding, grabbing his stuff and standing up.

 

 

“Let’s see, Cho Kyuhyun… Well, you seem fine.” The nurse looked over Kyuhyun, taking his temperature and testing for other cold symptoms. “No fever,” she said as she took the thermometer out of his mouth.

 

“Please, I really need to leave,” Kyuhyun said as he fidgeted on the seat in the nurse’s office. He kept glancing outside. There was something wrong and he needed to know.

 

“I’m sorry, Mr. Cho, but I can’t let you leave school,” the nurse replied.

 

“Please, you HAVE to let me leave.”

 

The nurse looked at him for a long time and for a moment Kyuhyun should she would send him back to class but instead she walked to her desk and wrote on a small slip of paper. She then handed it to him. “You’re free to go because you’re experiencing flu symptoms. Please feel better and I expect the symptoms to be over by tomorrow, so I’ll be expecting you at school.”

 

The nurse then smiled and winked at him, “Have a good day.”

 

 

Kyuhyun arrived at the hospital by taking a taxi, thank god for dad’s credit card, and immediately checked the playground.

 

It was empty.

 

He checked behind the Bird Tree also but Sungmin wasn’t anywhere to be found. Chewing on his lip Kyuhyun walked back to the hospital and took the elevator to the seventh floor.

 

Floor seven, room 13.

 

There was a red sign that said ‘DO NOT ENTER’.

 

Eyes wide Kyuhyun froze, just staring at the words. He had no clue what they meant. Had something happened? What was going on? Finally he lifted his hand and knocked on the door.

 

There was no answer.

 

“Su-Sungmin?” Kyuhyun whispered as he hesitantly knocked again.

 

With still no answer Kyuhyun leaned forward and tried to listen. He could definitely hear someone on the other side. “Sungmin, open up,” Kyuhyun said as he knocked again, louder this time. “It’s me, Kyuhyun, open the door.” He tried the knob but it was locked.

 

“Sungmin, open the door!” Kyuhyun yelled, this time shaking the knob and hitting the door. He was attracting a lot of attention but he barely cared. “Lee Sungmin, open the damn door right now!” Kyuhyun hit the door again.

 

“Excuse me, sir, please stop.”

 

Kyuhyun barely paid attention, still continuously hitting the door until one of the male nurses grabbed him and pulled him toward another room. “No, stop, I need to go in there!” He screamed, squirming in the man’s hold as he tried to escape, his gaze on the door of Sungmin’s room.

 

The nurse pulled him into a room, forcing him into a seat. “Let me go! Sungmin!” The door slammed close behind them.

 

 

The nurses eventually let Kyuhyun go, after holding him for an hour and questioning him. Stepping out of the room Kyuhyun crossed to the front desk on the seventh floor. “Excuse me, but where would a Lee Sungmin be rooming?” He asked.

 

The lady behind the desk took a look through her book and tapped on a number on the page. “Room 13,” she said with a bright smile.

 

Kyuhyun nodded his thanks before turning back to the hallway where Sungmin’s room was. So it was his room. And he was inside. He just wasn’t opening the door.

 

He walked back to Sungmin’s door and sat down in front of it. “Min, it’s me,” Kyuhyun said quietly, giving a small knock on the door.

 

There wasn’t an answer.

 

“You didn’t come to school today,” Kyuhyun whispered, tears springing to his eyes. “You said you were healthy. I believed you. Did you not want to come to school today and instead wanted to stay here? If you do that’s okay, you don’t have to come. You can come another time, alright? Just open the door.”

 

Kyuhyun listened hard but there was no response. “I promise I won’t get mad. I just want to see you, to know that you’re alright.” Kyuhyun jiggled the door knob again but it was still locked. “You’re alright, aren’t you? Please answer me.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed and rested his head against the door. “Did you get hurt? Did you get sick? Is there something wrong with you?” Kyuhyun asked, louder this time. “If there is, I want to know. I need to know. I can’t stand not knowing, Sungmin. Please open the door and talk to me.”

 

There was movement on the other side of the door and Kyuhyun excitedly stood, but only the small sound of a bell went off.

 

Suddenly a few nurses were next to him, surrounding him on both sides. “I’m sorry sir, but you’ll have to leave,” one of the nurses said while taking his arm.

 

“But I don’t want to leave,” Kyuhyun snapped, ripping his arm out of her grasp. “I need to talk to Sungmin.” Another nurse grabbed him and Kyuhyun lashed out, trying to get out of their grip, but soon three nurses had his arms restrained and he was being pulled toward the elevator.

 

“Sungmin, meet me under the Bird Tree one last time!” Kyuhyun yelled as the elevator doors began to close. “Promise!”

 

The elevator doors closed shut.

 

On the other side of room 13 a small boy sat on his bed and cried.

 

 

“Sir, you’re not allowed to come in,” two male security guards blocked Kyuhyun’s way as he tried to make his way into the hospital for the third time that week.

 

“But my father’s a doctor,” Kyuhyun snapped, trying to shove his way in between them.

 

The two easily restrained him though and grabbed his arms. “I’m sorry sir, but that’s against the rules. You are only able to see your father outside of the hospital doors from now on.”

 

Kyuhyun crumpled up the paper in his hands and threw it to the ground before storming away. He walked past the playground, unable to resist checking under the Bird Tree.

 

No one. As usual.

 

It had been three weeks since Kyuhyun had been kicked out of the hospital. Not once had he gotten a message or anything from Sungmin and none of the nurses or doctors would tell him anything. He had even tried asking his father but he told him that it had been put under security and only Sungmin’s doctors knew.

 

Kyuhyun was frustrated.

 

It was his third week of not knowing. Not knowing how Sungmin was. Not knowing if there was anything wrong with him. Not knowing if he was alright, or even still alive. He didn’t know anything and he couldn’t handle it.

 

With the anger boiling up in him Kyuhyun angrily kicked a pebble as hard as he could, silently wishing he could punch something.

 

“That wasn’t a bad kick Kyu; maybe you should take up soccer!”

 

Kyuhyun looked up to see Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae at the park, a soccer ball between them. “Wanna play?” Donghae called over, grinning.

 

Kyuhyun frowned. “No thanks,” he grumbled.

 

“Oh come on Kyu, we haven’t hung out in forever. Come play with us!” Hyukjae called.

 

Kyuhyun scowled. “I said no thank you!”

 

“Well, too bad. We’re not taking no for an answer.” Donghae grinned and skipped over to him and grabbed his arm. When Kyuhyun tried to get out of his grip Hyukjae came over and they managed to drag him to the park.

 

“Okay, it’s you and Hyukjae against me,” Donghae said with a grin.

 

“Oh, you are sooo going to lose,” Hyukjae teased.

 

Donghae grinned and pointed at Kyuhyun who just stood there moodily. “Sorry, but you’ve got a handicap.”

 

The two really had a way of cheering someone up. Kyuhyun looked ready to kill in the beginning but by the end of the game he was laughing and playing along even, his mood easily lifted by the two’s eager and excited personalities. Eunhyuk always made funny jokes and body gags while Donghae would make random noises and break into dance every once and awhile. The two dorks were easy to get along with and Kyuhyun missed hanging out with them.

 

Drenched in sweat the three collapsed on the ground in a fit of laughter.

 

“That was really fun guys,” Kyuhyun said after he had caught his breath, lying down comfortably on the grass.

 

“Glad you had fun, Kyu!” Hyukjae said with a gummy smile.

 

“Yeah, we really missed your laughter, you seem really tense lately,” Donghae commented.

 

Kyuhyun stiffened at this before shrugging.

 

“Oh, sorry, shouldn’t have mentioned it,” Donghae murmured.

 

Kyuhyun glanced at him before smiling lightly. “Its fine, Hae,” he said. The three erupted into laughter again before Kyuhyun’s phone started ringing. He sat up and looked at the number. A strange one, not one he knew.

 

“Excuse me guys,” Kyuhyun said as he stepped away and took out his phone. In the background he could hear Donghae and Hyukjae playing around. He opened his phone. “Hello?”

 

“Hello, is this a Mr. Cho Kyuhyun?” A female voice asked.

 

“Um, yes it is. Who is this?”

 

“This is the Seoul National Hospital. You were the first contact number under Lee Sungmin’s emergency contact list. I’m sorry, but Lee Sungmin has died.”