Chapter 3

Pinky Promise with Blue Sorrows

I moaned from the tapping sun-light against my face, wondering how long I'd been sleeping. I blinked, shut my eyes, blinked again. I yawned, finally managed to fully open both eyes. I sat up and stretched myself. It was a brand new day.

 

I freshened myself up in the bathroom and sat in front of my dressing table. I reached for my comb to untangle the morning knots in my straight, brown hair. I caught sight of what was hanging around my neck and immediately, a smile spreaded across my face. It wasn't a dream afterall...

 

<<< FLASHBACKS >>>

 

"Come on! Let's go!" After I'm done with my dinner, he grabbed me by the hand and headed out of the restaurant immediately.

 

"O-Oppa, where are we going..."

 

He remained silent as we continued to walk. After awhile, I gave up asking too, just tagging along with him. Come to think of it, it felt awkward. I mean, I just knew him a few hours ago and yet, I'm allowing him to bring me to god knows where.

 

Then, I realised that my worries was for nothing. I was amazed by what I was seeing.

 

-----

 

Unknowingly, we had reached Han River.  The river was calm and the pale moonlight was reflected, making it seemed as though I was in a dreamland. I was mesmerized by the scenery but yet, still couldn't hide my curiousity.

 

"So... Why are we here?"

 

"What else? To celebrate your birthday of course!" He replied in a manner as if it was the most righteous thing to do.

 

"Kamsahaminda Oppa..." I gave him a smile. I really appreciated his efforts. 

 

"Nahs. This is not the celebration."

 

"Eh?"

 

"Close your eyes and count to... Ten." He tapped his watch and instructed me.

 

"Mwuh? Why do I need to count to Ten?"

 

"Just do it!" He had his hands over my eyes, ignoring my questions.

 

"Araso araso!" I chuckled at his childish behaviour but nonetheless obliged. "1....2....3...."

 

And I counted to ten.

 

"Happy Birthday to Im Yoona-sshi!" At the count of ten, he dropped his hand and revealed what was in front of me.

 

Once again, I was lost for words.

 

------

 

"Mwuhya? Why-Why are you crying again?!" He stuttered, going into a state of panic again. I guess he rarely sees girls cry.

 

"A-Anniyo! I-It's just..." I was too overwhelmed with happiness and surprise that words failed me.

 

"Araso araso. Mianhae... I shouldn't have dragged you all the way here without telling you anything. I must have scare you..." He sighed and apologised profusely, trying to make up for his mistake.

 

"An-Anniyo... It's just... It's just... It's so beautiful...." I finally managed to finish my sentence. "How did you-you even manage to do that...."

 

Yes. When I regained my sight, my eyes was met with a thousand of glistening lights. They were hanging all over the trees. Not only that, even river was lighted. Candles were floating on the surface like rubies sparkling in the sea of darkness. The whole scene was just... Breathtaking.

 

"E-Eh?" He was stunned for a moment by my reply but soon ruffled his hair and spoke nonchalantly. "Well, every 30th, my parents would set up this entire stretch with lights or candles. You see, I was a sickly child when I was young. There was a point in time when I nearly died from dengue fever. Umma and Appa prayed really hard by this river everytime, hoping that I was cured. And miraculously, I really did recover and became healthier even. So, ever since then, Umma and Appa made an effort to light up this place, as a way of giving thanks to god."

 

"O-Oh... You don't look sick though..."

 

"Yeahs. That was the past already." He let out a smile. "Now now, dry your tears. Birthday girl shouldn't be crying!"

 

"O-Oppa!" I blushed hard at his teasings. "Kamsahaminda~ Thank you for sharing such a wonderful thing with me... This is what your parents have done for you..."

 

"Ahh. This is for everyone to see. Not only me. Besides, you're lucky to have your birthday fall on the 30th too. If not, I don't think I'm capable enough to create such magics." He joked. 

 

"Yeahs. I'm happy that I was born on the 30th too~" I smiled. Looks like this year's birthday aren't going to be that bad after all.

 

"Come on! There's still half hour more to go! Make a wish! Rumors say that when you make a wish by Han River, the wish mostly will come true. I don't have a cake with me now, but we could blow a candle off on the river." He urged me.

 

"Haha! Oppa! It's alrights! Really! You did so much for me already!" I laughed at his enthusiasm.

 

"Awww. Come on! You don't believe me?" He pouted. "I would do it with you!"

 

Seeing his pout, I shook my head in defeat. Together, we knelt down by the river, closed our eyes, and made a wish.

 

I wish Appa would be healthy and happy always and that... This moment would never end...

 

We opened our eyes almost in sync and flashed a common smile at each other. We bent towards the candles and with a huge intake of breath, we blew off as much candles as we could. The sea of candles never seemed to extinguish. We looked at each other, panting away while having a huge grin on our faces.

 

After awhile, I closed my eyes and enjoyed the night breeze. Suddenly, something was felt around my neck. I flung open my eyes and my hand went around my neck instinctively. I shot a glance towards him who held both of his hands up innocently.

 

"W-What's this?" My fingers closed around the pendant around my neck. It looks like a charm necklace.

 

"You don't think that you should receive gifts on birthdays?" He shrugged. "I know this isn't exactly a real gift. It's an old one in fact. But, it's the thoughts that count alrights! Besides, this is very precious to me!"

 

"E-Eh?" I tilted my head in confusion. "That's not what I mean! Since it's so precious to you, why are you giving it to me?"

 

"Like I said, it's a gift. And, I think you need it more than me." He looked away from me and looked up at the blanket of stars. "That's my lucky charm."

 

"What?"

 

"I bought this for myself. It's the first gift for myself. When I was 16, I sneaked out from home to work after school. I wanted to have a feel of how it's like to have your own hardearn money. So yeahs. I bought this necklace after I got my first pay." He explained. "And coincidentally, after having this necklace around me, my luck seemed to have improved. I always manage to escape out of my house without being caught by my 'hawkeyed' housekeeper. It's either my escape techniques had improved, or that my luck has really improved."

 

"Omo! Then all the more I shouldn't take it! This means so much to you!" I exclaimed, trying to take it off from my neck.

 

"Gwenchana!" He put his hand over mine, with the intention of stopping me.

 

Our gazes met briefly and I could feel sparks going off when he touched my hands. This brought heat up my cheeks again.

 

"O-O-Mianhae!" He too, became flustered as he removed his hand quickly.

 

"G-Gwenchanayo..." I stuttered too. Aishh~ Im Yoona, you're such a shy girl!

 

Awkward silence loomed around us as I stood there, not knowing what to do. Unknowingly, my fingers reached up to the necklace, playing the pendant mindlessly.

 

"Surprisingly, it suits you~" He spoke up and flashed me yet another smile.

 

"O-Oh...K-Kamsahaminda..." It took me a few seconds to actually realise what he was saying when I noticed that my fingers were on the pendant. "You-You really think that it's alrights for me to keep this..." I trailed off, fearing that I would offend him. The truth is, I like this necklace. Alot in fact. Something just draw me towards it.

 

"If I mind, I wouldn't have put it on for you in the first place already." He smirked. "So, just keep it will you?"

 

"K-Kamsahaminda..." I conveyed my gratitude, using it as a form of agreement.

 

"Is 'Kamsahaminda' your favourite word?" He teased.

 

I chose to remain silent again. If it weren't for the fact that I had just known him, I would have already gave him a hit on his shoulder.

 

I looked up at the sky, eyes fixated on the stars. I wondered what is Dad doing now... Is he thinking about me like how I'm thinking about him now?

 

Then, I was met by another surprise. That almost killed me.

 

A pair of strong arms rested on my shoulders and turned me around slowly. I was confused by his sudden actions but when he inched closer to me, my heart began a thunderous pace. It was pounding so furiously that I thought it was going to jump out from my chest any minute. I wondered if he could hear my heartbeat. I closed my eyes and something soft was felt on my forehead. I had never felt this way before. I felt loved and treasured... The love wasn't the same as compared to the love Dad has for me. It felt...Different. Though I didn't know what did that mean.

 

Could this be love?

 

I'm falling in love with a stranger?

 

No way.

 

Ok, maybe I'm wrong.

 

------

 

"Yah. Yah. Im Yoona!" His shouted brought me back to reality. I snapped out, only to find out that he was already making his way back to the streets. Was just now a dream? "Are you coming!?"

 

"N-Neh!" I shouted back, running towards him. That must be a dream.

 

------

 

"Thanks for walking me home. My house is just behind the building. I'll make my way back." I bade farewell to him at the corner of the street. I didn't want to let him know where I was staying. He is after all, still a stranger to me. Or maybe, an acquaintance now. "And once again, thanks so much for today... I'm happy to have met you."

 

"Is thank you the only word in your dictionary?" He laughed and ruffled my hair. "I'm glad to have met you too. Happy Birthday, Yoona-sshi~ Enjoy your sixteenth birthday. You still have... 5 minutes." He took a glance at his watch and looked back up, giving me yet another charming smile.

 

"Haha! Okays! See you!" I began to walk away, trying to not squeal with happiness.

 

"W-WAIT! I STILL HAVEN'T GOT YOUR NUMBER!!" From afar, I heard his shout. "WHEN WILL WE MEET AGAIN?!"

 

"I DON'T HAVE A PHONE YET! AND.... I BELIEVE IN FATE!" I turned around, shouting back and held his necklace up. I stuck out my tongue playfull and began to sprint towards the house. I must have looked so dumb.

 

But, little did I know, he was all smile, watching me disappearing from his sight...

 

<<< END OF FLASHBACKS >>>

 

"SWEETHEART!!" The moment I walked down the stairs, I heard a familiar voice. A voice that I loved and missed so much.

 

"OMO! APPA!!!" I flew down from the stairs and threw my arms around him. "WHEN DID YOU GET BACK?!!"

 

"Yesterday midnight, but I didn't bear to wake you up because you're sleeping so soundly. I'm sorry sweetheart. Some idiot pilot went on a strike, leading to my flight being delayed." He explained.

 

"What's more important is that you're back." I tightened my hug around him.

 

"Silly girl! Come. I have something for you." We broke away from the hug and he handed me a box from the table.

 

"Eh?"

 

"How could I have forgotten that yesterday was my sweetheart's birthday?" His smile extended to his ears. "Come, open it up and tell me if you like it or not."

 

I opened it up and was speechless. I held it up and look at him in disbelief.

 

"I figured out that you would need this sooner or later." He shrugged. "Like it?"

 

"No..." I trailed off, creating a suspense. Then, I planted a kiss on his cheek. "I LOVE IT!" I squealed and held it up triumphly. "I FINALLY GOT A PHONE!"

 

Our fruity laughters filled the entire house, drowning away stepmum's irritating murmurings.

 

The charm necklace is already working its wonder~

 


HottestVIPSone here! Sorry for the late update! Hope this chapter will bring a smile to each and everyone of your faces (: Is their progress a little too fast? :X