A Flower Blooming In The Slums

Nameless Story

Author's Notes. ;A;. crie - Elyse ✿

- - - - -

 Chapter Five – A Flower Blooming In The Slums 

"Minhee..." I heard Ren call out my name as he sat beside me. 

It was lunch break and as usual, we were just hanging out on the rooftop. It's been a week and a half since we started eating lunch together. I'm slowly getting comfortable around them and you can say that Ren, JR and I are... friends? Just a few more days and I'll be starting my work at the cafe soon!

I looked at Ren to give him the signal to continue what he wants to say.

"I..." he stuttered. I tilt my head. "I... need..." he stuttered once again. 

"Oh Ren. You're stuttering with such a serious face. At least give some emotions." 

"You're asking too much." said JR who was playing a game on my phone. Is he still playing that? He's been playing that game since yesterday. 

"I need someone who can play an instrument..." Ren called out. My ears perked from that sentence. Why would he need a musician? I gave him a curious look. Ren looked down and played with his fingers. "Well... it's for my grandma." he said.

There was a long silence. From that long silence, I can hear JR mumbling several "" from the game that he was playing. I'm guessing he was missing a lot since the game was similar to the iPod/iPhone app called Tap Tap, or something. 

"She loves music... and it's her last year living..." Ren slowly said and looked into my eyes. His eyes show that he really cares and loves his grandmother. He looked like he really wants me to say "Yes. I know I musician". I'm beginning to read Ren's emotionless face these days. It's like I can just see right through his barrier. 

"I told you Ren, just go ask Minhyun to play for your Halmuhnee." JR said as he hands me back my phone. I guess he got bored of it?

"Shiro! He will never agree to such a thing." Ren burst out but quickly regain his calmness. I wonder who this Minhyun is. 

I can play the violin for his grandma but the problem is that I don't have a violin. I left it in America. I thought I'll never use it so I didn't bring it with me. Aigooo. I can't ask Minyoung to play the piano either. I don't want anyone knowing about Minyoung or Minyoung knowing about anything in my school or anyone besides Baekho-ssi. 

Ren looked like he really needs a musician fast. I left so bad. Ugh. I want to help him...

"I can play for your grandma." I suddenly blurt out. 

"Jinja? Really?!" he asked with a slight smile. His small smile made me smile as well.  

I gave him a nod. I guess I just have to buy a violin after school. I hope it wouldn't be that expensive and that the violins in Korea are much cheaper than the violins in the United States. I don't have work today so I guess I can look for one today. 

"What kind of songs does your grandma likes?" I asked.

"She would love anything, up to you to decide." he said but this time with a wider smile. 

"So, when and where do I play for her?" 

"Tomorrow..." Ren hesitated

My eyes slightly widened from that word. Tomorrow? That's barely any time to find a violin and practice. Omo, I can't back down now. Why did he ask me so late? Eotokke? 

"Yah! Tomorrow? You expect Minhee to just come up with something by tomorrow? Why didn't you ask sooner?" JR yelled at Ren. I agree with JR but he didn't have to yell at Ren like that. 

"I'll be fine." I smiled at Ren so he wouldn't feel so bad. He gave me a smile. If it means Ren warming up to me then I wouldn't mind doing him a small favor. 

Ren and I exchanged our phone numbers. I never got it before, I find it awkward because usually, I would exchange phone numbers on the first day back in the United States. JR wanted to exchange numbers also. I asked why. Not that he needed my number but he replied with a "because I want to". Perhaps he is jealous. Yeah right, I doubt it. Why would he? What a jerk.

After school, I texted Minyoung that I will be home late. Not that it matters since I always come home late because of my part time job. But she texted right away asking so many questions such as "Why? Where are you going? Why are you always late? Is it school work? Does Unnie have a boyfriend? Does he treat you well?" Such an annoying kid. So much unnecessary questions. But this annoying kid is my twin sister and I love her. I sighed and replied with "don't ask too many questions. I'll bring home some kimbap." After that, I put my phone safely inside my pocket on my school skirt. I felt it vibrate. It's probably from Minyoung. I didn't check because it's probably useless anyway. 

 I'm pretty sure I won't find a music store around this neighborhood. They should have one near Minyoung's school so I decided to check there. 

After an hour of going to her school and finding a music store around there, I finally found one. The store looked really old, but hey, it's still a music store. I entered the store and the wind chimes ringed as I opened the door. Inside, I found different antique instruments. They all look very old. I hope I didn't go inside the wrong place. 

"Ah! Welcome" called out an old man as he walked towards me. I bowed down to him and gave him a smile. 

"Do you have a violin for sale?" I politely asked. 

He nodded and told me to wait. He went to the back of the room and entered another room. I'm guessing that's the storage room where they keep more instruments. 

I decided to stroll around the room and look at different kinds of instruments. I can play the flute as well but I'm not that good at it. I can also play the piano because Minyoung would sometimes teach me how to play. But I found my true passion in the violin. I don't know. The feeling I get playing the violin is such a bliss. 

I heard the wind chimes ring again as the door open.

"Grandpa?" called out a deep voice. 

I turned around to find a guy who looked like he was around my age. He has very sharp tantalizing eyes. Woah, he's very handsome... if looks could kill, I would be dead by now. 

It took him a second to realize I was there and when he did his eyes widened. Why is he so shocked? 

"Why are you here?" he gave me a glare. 

I stepped back a bit. Why is he glaring at me? Why is he mad? Am I not suppose to be here? I took a step forward and continued walking towards me until his face was about 2 inch from my face. I gulped. Omo, he's so close. I can feel my whole face burning up. I tried to glare back at him but my aura was less intimidating than his. In other words, my glare turned out to be just a simple stare. 

Ack. Stop glaring at me already! I dislike being looked at for so long. 

"Can... you please stop glaring..." I shyly said. 

He blinked and took a step back. What's going on? Omo! Maybe he knows Minyoung that's why he's acting so strangely... It could be. Why else would a person I've never talked to or seen before in my entire life would randomly glare at me in such a mean way. Well, unless he's a lunatic. But I doubt so. 

"I'm sorry... I thought you were someone else..." he apologized and slightly bowed down. I was taken aback by the sudden change in his actions. Okay, I'm pretty sure he knows Minyoung and that he thought I was her. But why does he act that way? I guess him and Minyoung are not in good terms with each other... I have to ask Minyoung about this guy later. 

"Oh no... it's alright... you didn't have to bow" I said as I motion my hands in front of me.  

He continues to stare at me. Omo... stop! "You're different..." he quietly said but loud enough for me to hear. 

What does he mean by I'm different? This guy doesn't make sense at all! Luckily for me, the old man came back with three different kinds of violin. I tried all of them and I choose the one that suited me the best. It was plain and simple. It was a dark brown color with a flower printed on the side. The old man said I made a good decision. Apparently, the flower that was printed on the violin was a Clematis flower. I asked what it meant but he just smiled at me. 

I took out my wallet from my bag but the old man stopped me. He smiled at me and told me that I should just take the violin. I blinked. Was he saying I can just... have it? He told me that no one wants the violin anyway and that it was been rejected by so many people. He also told me that it's a very important violin so I should take good care of it. I look at the violin, sure it looked old but it still works. It looks pretty cool also.  

I thanked him and hugged the old man. He was really nice. I told him I would visit him every now and then. What a nice old man. His grandson, the guy with sharp eyes, is the total opposite of him. 

I told them that I should be going now since it's getting pretty late. I bid them my goodbye and left. I guess you could say that was luck getting a violin for free. What are the odds? But why would the old man just give away such a nice instrument? Don't worry kind old man! I'll take good care of this violin! 

But right now... I should just really just worry about what song so play for Ren's grandmother tomorrow. 

- - - - -

CLIFF HANGER. Kinda, I don't know. Yes guys, that sharp-eyed guy was indeed Minhyun. And that violin was a gift for Minhyun. MINHEE HAS IT NOW. muahaha. I don't know. Omo. I have so much homework to do. Gah. But I finished this chapter just for you guys. 

homework taimu. 

- Elyse ✿