Interesting

What is love

 

The sound of the thunder rumble as the dark clouds slowly rolls in the sky. I sighed and zipped open my bag to retrieve my blue umbrella.

 

Pitter-patter pitter-patter…..

 

I looked up the sky as the rain fall gently outside. A few students have started running out towards the road, using their bags or books as a shield over their head. A sudden gust of wind passed, causing me to shiver involuntary. I quickly put up my umbrella without wanting to waste any second before the rain gets heavier.

 

 

“It’s getting dark. isn’t it?”

 

 

I whip my head around and saw a plain black umbrella in front of my eyes. It was slowly lifted up and a person’s face came in the view.

 

“Jong In.” I said. He smirk at me and nodded his head to the right.

“Ballet class?”

“Hmm.”

Our eyes locked with each other briefly before I turn away. “I’m going.” I said and step out. He stopped me from walking away with a hand on my shoulder.

 

 

“Let’s go together.”

 

 

 

-

“Minah, please focus.”

“I’m…trying.”

The dance instructor, Ken sighed and claps his hands twice. “Let’s try this one more time. Jong In.”

The tanned boy nodded his head and went back to his original position.

 

Pas de chat, twice, and Jong In will support you when you do the grand jeté. Grand Minah, make sure your work that split and I want your feet to point fully.”

 

Minah’s eyebrows were furrowed together and she started shaking her arms to calm herself down.

 

I looked over to the other couple, Eun Mi and Jun Young, as they performed the same routine. Jun Young caught her as she leaps in to the air and landed gracefully. She let out a giggle as the boy patted her head.

 

Hmm…such interesting…gesture.

 

 

“……….- straight. Hana!!”

 

I turned around when I heard my name. Ken tapped his foot on the floor with his hands crossed over his chest.

I pointed at myself. “D-did you call for me?”

The blonde hair diva rolled his eyes. “Yes. You. Now come here and show Minah how to do a grand jeté. I’m going for my next lesson.”

“Okay.”

 

Minah looked like she was about to burst into tears for not doing well.  Jong In was just staring on the floor.

“Legs straight, point your toes. Calm yourself before you try again.” I said.

She nodded her head and dragged herself towards the mirror.

 

 

“Did you lift her high enough?” I asked Jong In. The boy nodded his head and stood next to me.

“I guess I’m just too good looking.”

 

I gave him a look and asked flatly, “Now how is that related to her leaps?”

He sighed and shrugged his shoulders. “I’m so good looking that she can’t even focus.”

I rolled my eyes and pushed him away. Since when he got so near to me?

 

“Maybe you didn’t lift her properly.” I said and turned around to face him. His cheeks were puffed out as looked up at me. He swallowed down the water in his mouth and wipes his lips with the back of his hand with a smile. I would be lying to say I wasn’t star struck by his movements.

 

Jong In bends down and brought his face closer to mine. “Want me to lift you then?” He grinned. I rolled my eyes once again and pushed him away.

 

 

 

-

The weather was still as gloomy as yesterday. And Minah still isn’t getting her leaps right.

Jong In, on the other hand, was starting to get on my nerves for some reason. He wouldn’t stop picking on me.

 

“Where’re you going?” he asked when Ken call it for the day.

“Erm….Away from you?”

He chuckled and followed me to the locker room. “Why?”

I sighed and unlock my locker door. “Because I don’t like you.”

 

Jong in gave me a dramatic look while clutching onto his chest. “Ouch. That hurts.”

“Good.” I muttered and took my bag out. I check my phone for messages and there is one from Kyung Soo.

 

Just to confirm, I’m picking you up at our dance studio right? – Kyung Soo

 

 

I replied him and put my phone away before reaching for my towel in my bag.

 

“You don’t mean it right?”

 

I almost forgot Jong In was still sitting next to me before he speaks up again.

 

“No. I mean it.” I said and rolled my eyes.

 

He stared at me for a few seconds before looking back down on the floor.

 

“Oh. Okay.”

 

Something about his voice and his facial expression tells me that he’s hurt by my words. He didn’t even joke or tease me like he usually would every time I said something.

 

“Hey.” I said. He ignores me while continuing drawing circles on the locker door.

“Jong In.” He hummed a reply, eyes still fixed on the locker.

 

I couldn’t differentiate whether he is just acting or he was really affected by my words. Before I could speak again, he adjusted the strap of his bag and turned away.

 

“I’m going.” He barely whispered.

“Hey, wait..I..”

He continued walking out of the room with a straight face. I quickly shut my locker door and ran after him.

 

“Hey!” I said, grabbing onto his arm. He remains still on the spot without looking at me.

I took a deep breath before speaking. “I….I don’t mean it that way.”

“I don’t really get what you’re saying.” He muttered. I lowered my hand from his arm.

“I…I don’t hate you, okay? It’s just….a saying…”

He finally turned around and looked at me. “Why do you say it?” He asked. “It’s not funny.”

“Because you keep annoying me every chance you get and it irritates me.”

He smiled to himself, a very strain smile if you asked me. “So I’m annoying huh…”

 

“What?” I said. “No…I mean…”

He scoffed and shook his head. “It’s alright. I get it.”

“But…”

“Thanks for being honest.” He said and continued walking down the hallway.

“I…I’m not. Hey!”

He lifted his hand up and waved without looking at me.

 

 

What’s with the grumpy attitude?

 

 

-

 

I felt so small sitting in Kyung Soo’s grandfather dining room. Why do they need such a long table when there are only 4 of them?

Four different types of fork and spoon were set on each sides of the plate. One of the servants took away two glasses from my place and Kyung Soo. The other started pouring water and juices into our remaining two glasses while the adults get the red wine.

I look at Kyung Soo’s hand with the corner of my corners to make sure I was using the correct utensils. Oh I know this knife, it’s a butter knife! Oh…it isn’t…..

 

The appetizer was pumpkin soup. Have I ever told anyone I hate pumpkin?

I was washing the soup down my throat with some garlic bread and water until someone spoke.

 

“You look hungry.”

 

I stopped eating and looked at his grandfather that was calmly drinking his soup. I didn’t know what to say so I just smiled at him.

“Hana just finish ballet classes, so I guess she is.” Kyung Soo said with a shy smile. His grandfather nodded his head but didn’t look at any of us.

“Do you have a show coming up?” Mrs Do asked. I nodded my head. “Yeah…I mean, yes.”

His mother smiled at me and continues eating.

 

Next up, the salad course. I don’t even know what’s on my plate but it taste good, especially the sauce.

 

And again, no one spoke. Why am I even here in the first place if we’re not talking?

 

The main course was grilled salmon with baked potatoes on the side. I mentally groan to myself when the food was lay in front of me.

 

Where is the kimchi? I want my kimchi.

 

I heard Kyung Soo whispering my name so I turned around and looked at me. He was twisting his right hand slightly with a smile. It took me a while to realise that I was using the wrong knife for the salmon.

 

 

All of a sudden I’m missing my chopsticks.

 

 

-

“Did you enjoy the meal?” Kyung Soo’s grandfather asked.

“Yes.”

He took a sip of his tea and placed the cup back into the table. “So tell me, what do you plan to do in the future?”

 

To be honest, I haven’t really thought about my future.

 

“Are you going to follow your father’s footstep?” he continued.

“I might. Actually I don’t really know.”

 

He raised an eyebrow at me. “You don’t know.” He said dully. Uh oh, that’s a warning tone.

“She still has another year to think of it, haraboji.” Kyung Soo added quickly.

“Hmm.”

I felt Kyung Soo reaching for my hand under the table and I grasped onto it tightly. Maybe I should have just agreed with him earlier.

“You told me you live alone.” He asked. I nodded my head. “And who is paying your tuition fees?”

“I…I’m a scholarship recipient.”

“Under which category?”

 

This time Kyung Soo was the one gripping onto my hand tightly.

 

“The president’s scholar.” I answered. His grandfather smiled and leaned back onto his chair.

 

“Interesting.”

 

Kyung Soo cleared his throat before saying, “Would you like more tea, haraboji?”

He held his hand up with his eyes fixed on me. “And do you know who is sponsoring the president’s scholar?” he asked.

 

I swallowed hard when I realised none of the others were looking at me, not even Kyung Soo.

“Some…Sponsors?” I barely whispered.

He nodded his head with a hummed. “Sponsors like me.”

 

My whole body went numb and I swear I almost break Kyung Soo’s hand when I heard that.

I knew Kyung Soo’s family had a part in donating money to the school. But being a scholarship sponsor? That I didn’t know.

 

“So basically I’m the one paying for your tuition fees.” He said, looking amused.

“I..”

“And allowance.” He continued.

 

I turned to Kyung Soo for help but he looked as shocked as I am.

 

“Hmm... Let me put it this way. I am paying for my grandson’s girlfriend’s tuition fees. Very interesting.”

 

“H-haraboji…”

 

“I’m done.” His grandfather said. “Thank you for joining us for dinner, Hana shii.” He got up from his seat with the help of a servant. “You are welcome to join us anytime.”

I quickly stood up and did a full 90 degree bow at him until he is completely out of the dining room.

“I’ll…I’ll check on father.” Mr Do said and left. His mother patted my back with a smile. “Thank you for coming today.” She said. “Make sure she reaches home safely.” She instructed her son before leaving.

Our hands were still tightly clasped with each other as Kyung Soo led me out to the back of the house.

“Hana…”

“I’m fine.” I said. “I’m alright.”

He shook his head. “No…I’m sorry. I mean…”

“It’s okay.” I said. “We didn’t expect this.”

 

He remained silent for a moment and got me wondering.

 

“You knew.” I said.

 

His eyes grew wide. “I…I…”

“So you knew I was under the president’s scholar.”

“That’s not what I mean…”

 

I pulled my hand away from his. “Kyung Soo.”

He covered his face with his hands before nodding his head. “Yes. Yes, I knew.”

 

 

 

 

Wow. Now this is interesting after all. 

 

 


Hello everyone! Sorry for being MIA for a while. I've got something going on so yeah. Not sure when will i update next but thank you so much for sticking with me =)

Thank you for subscribing and commenting to this story! Vote up if you really like this story =D