Chapter One

As The Dominoes Fall

CHAPTER ONE



“YongJoo!”

The piercing scream echoes through the corridor. She shot up from her bed, her hair disheveled from a tired night of sleep. Her eyes still heavy as she lazily force them open. As the streak of sunshine peeks through her curtains she rubs her eyes to wake herself up. Throwing her blanket off her as she forces herself off the bed, she sluggishly slides herself over to her bathroom. Grabbing her towel and throwing it over her shoulders. Turning the doorknob of her bathroom she takes a big yawn.

BAM!

The door swung open hitting her right in the face.

“Ow!!! Aish!!!” She screams her behind making contact with her carpeted bedroom floor.

That was enough to fully wake her as she glares up to see who it could have been that caused her such pain in the morning already.

“Oppa!”

Staring back her with an apologetic smile, he quickly rushes out as he pulls his blazer on.

“Sorry sis. I’m in a hurry.”

“Aish!!!” She cursed under her breathe.

She angles herself to peek over at her alarm clock, the red lights flashing ‘7:30’… Her eyes widened at the realization that she was going to be late for school and on the first day no less. She quickly pulls herself together and rushes in to the bathroom. Getting herself ready within fifteen minutes, a new record for her, she dashes out of her bedroom and down the grand stairs towards the kitchen.

“YongJoo, I have been calling you all morning.” Her live-in nanny lectures, “see? Now you’re going to be late for your first day.”

“I know, I know.” She brushes her nanny off as she grabs a piece of toast on the plate by the counter. “I’ll see you later this evening.” She gives her nanny a quick peck on the cheek before rushing off towards the main doors.

Standing outside in front of the main entrance to her home, or what some would describe as a mansion, she could see that the lot was empty. She took a quick scan to see if anyone was around but no one. She lifts her right arm to glance at her watch; ‘7:50’… She was going to be late for school for sure if she doesn’t get a ride.

“Where the hell is everyone?” She thought to herself.

She let out an exasperated sigh when she heard the garage door opening and the sound of an engine starting, her eyes widens as she quickly rushes over to the garage to see her brother getting ready to leave.

“Oppa!” She shouted to him. “I need a ride to school. If not I’m going to be late!”

Her brother rolls his eyes at her as if she was crazy for asking him such favors. She notices his attitude towards her request so she quickly runs in front of his car, standing with her legs apart and arms outstretched, she was trying to block her brother from driving off without her. Noticing her action her brother quickly grabs her by the hand, trying to pull her away.

“Oppa please! I’m going to be late and it’s the first day of school. I don’t want to start the school year off with such a bad record.” She pleaded to him.

He rolls his eyes at her plead. “It’s not my fault sis. You’re the one who slept in,” making his way towards his car.

She scoff at his reasoning, she quickly rush towards the front again and standing with her original position, not allowing him to leave until she was in that car with him.

“Yah! YongJoo!” Noticing her stance, he was getting annoyed.

“I’m not moving!” She firmly pressed, pursing her lips.

He releases an exasperated sigh, “Fine! Get in.”

He opens the driver seat as he got in. She jumps up with giddiness as she quickly makes her way over towards his car. If only she knew her brother was more than that generous.

As she was about to reach for the passenger seat door, she sees him putting on his sunglasses, turning on the engine and speedy off out of the garage. A mischievous smirk present on his face. Standing there dumbfounded as she stares at the car speeding off. She could see his hand waving to her from the driver seat. She was fuming to say the least. He tricked her… again. She should’ve known better.

“YAH! JUNG YONGHWA!!!” She screams after him. “You’re gonna get it from me tonight!” Shouting curses at him as she ran after the car.

She huffs from anger as she looks around at what she was to do now. She begins to frown at the prospect of being late and being scolded by her teacher on the first day. Without realization she felt a gust of wind rushing by, blowing her hair over her face, as a motorcycle screeches to a halt in front of her. The rider turns to her with his helmet still on.

“Your brother ditched you again?” He chuckles at her expression as he took off his helmet.

The frown was still on her face the moment she saw his face. “Don’t rub it in.”

He smiles at her reply, “come on, I’ll give you a ride. Here,” he hands her an extra helmet.

She grabs the helmet and quickly got on the back as if it was a normal occurrence, as if this was how it always happens. She would get ditch by her brother and her best friend would be the one to come riding in to save her. A smile slowly reaches her lips as she sat on the back of his motorcycle, holding on to his waist tightly for safety.

“HyungSik, you can slow down. Let’s enjoy the scenery.” She shouted to him through her helmet as they made their way through the busy streets.

A smile on his lips as he angles slightly over to her, “I thought you’re afraid of being late?”

“We’re gonna be late regardless, might as well just take some time to enjoy the moment before being tormented and punished.”

He laughs at her answer, “then do you want to go anywhere before the punishments begin?”

“Let’s go get something to eat. I was rushing this morning and wasn’t able to eat a proper breakfast.” She shouted to him with a smile on her face.

He revs up his engine and they maneuver themselves through the busy traffic of Seoul. They stop in front of a little bakery not far from their school. The two walk in and was quickly greeted by the owner of the shop.

“YongJoo, my favorite customer. So early today,” the old man greeted them, “and you brought your boyfriend too I see,” he added teasingly.

The two bow to him, HyunSik blushing at the mention of ‘boyfriend’, scratching the back of his head with embarrassment.

“Haraboji! He’s not my boyfriend. He’s a really good friend.” She quickly defended.

The old man chuckles at her response, leering over at HyungSik who was still blushing from the comment. He leans towards YongJoo and whispers to her, “I think he thinks otherwise.” He lets out another satisfy chuckle.

She turns to see HyungSik was indeed blushing as he continues to stare at the floor and scratching the back of his head nervously. She steps up to him and punches him lightly on the shoulder to wake him up, “yah, he was just teasing.”

He quickly snaps back to reality. Clearing his throat realizing what he had just did. “Um… Yeah, I know.”

She stares at with a suspicious expression. She quickly shook off the thought and made her way over to an empty booth by the front window, HyungSik following from behind.

She let out an exasperated sigh. “So much for starting the year off with a clean slate,” She mumbles as she folded her arms on the table and leaning her chin in.

HyungSik chuckles at her statement. “Since when did you care?”

She glances up at him, “it’s the last year HyungSik, I want to at least make this a worthwhile year for me. The past three years have been nothing but horror.”

A frown appears on his face at her last word, “what about me then, did I not make the past three years worthwhile?”

She pushes herself up from the table and chuckles at his defense, “that’s not what I meant HyungSik. You know I love having you around, we’ve been friends for way too long for me to just hate your presence like that,” another laugh escapes her lips at her own little joke, “it’s just the past three years have been a struggle to get to this point right now, this year. I have to make sure that this year will be the best year that when I leave I’ll have something worth to remember about.”

At the mention at her eventual departure when this year ends caused HyungSik to frown even more, “so you’re really set on going?”

She let out a whimsical sigh, “it’s the only way for me to truly discover myself and start anew.”

Noticing his solemn mood, she quickly changes the subject to avoid any further awkwardness.

“Is that bike of yours new? I thought it was green before?”

HyungSik glance over to her to see her looking out through the window at his bike. He releases a sigh, “yeah, my parents got me a little surprise for the first day of school. It’s your favorite color, orange.”

She turns her attention back and smiles at him with appreciation.

“Does that mean I get to have it later?” She adds jokingly.

He scoffs at her comment, “you wish.”

The two laughed at the comment. Turning her gaze up to the clock on the wall, she let out another long exasperated sigh. “I think we should get going before it gets worse.”

HyungSik turns his gaze towards where her attention was on. The clock ticked ‘8:45’… By now homeroom should be ending and second period should be beginning, students will probably be rushing about to get to their next class, their perfect chance to just blend in as if they were never late at all.

The two got up from their seat and made their way towards the exit, bowing to the old man before they leave. “Thank you haraboji!” She bowed to him.

He smiles at her and waves, “thanks for coming you two. Come back soon.” He turns to HyungSik, “take care of that girlfriend of yours ok? She’s a great customer of mine.” He adds teasingly, wagging a finger at him.

HyungSik begins to blush uncontrollably again with a smile plastered on his face, as he bows his goodbye.

“Haraboji!” YongJoo sternly stamps her feet.

The old man couldn’t help but laugh as he waves for them to go.

The two of them arrive on the school grounds with no one in sight, they quietly and strategically made their way towards the front entrance, praying and hoping that they wouldn’t get caught. They slowly maneuvered themselves up the steps, watching each others' backs as if they were in the middle of a war zone, lost in the battle field and trying to make their way back to their home base. If there was only an audience watching them, then that audience wouldn’t be able to control their laughter.

Making their way towards the main entrance, they were almost there, they just had to wait for the bell to ring and they could easily open the door and slip in without being caught and just blend in with the crowd of students. But of course, luck was not on their side. As they waited, counting down, luck would have it that the physical education teacher was walking by, getting ready for his class, and spotted them.

“Hey! What are you two doing outside the school!” He shouted to them.

They turn their attention towards the voice and then to each other with widened eyes. The two quickly push the entrance door open and rushes in to the hallways of the school.

The bell rang and the classes emptied, maybe luck is on their side after all as the crowd of students made their way through the hallways, blocking the teacher from catching up to them. The two of them quickly blended themselves in to the crowd and YongJoo quickly spots her other best friend and links arms with her and HyungSik spotting his group of friends quickly joins them. They were out of sight and safe.

“Hey SeoHyun!” She smiles at her best friend happily

SeoHyun was caught off guard with her sudden appearance. “Where were you during homeroom?”

“Don’t worry about it. Let’s just get to our next class.” She brushes the question off and quickly pulls her friend along.

As they sat in their class an announcement came on from the PA.

“Park HyungSik and Jung YongJoo, please report straight to the office.”

SeoHyun gaze over her friend, YongJoo scrunches her face up in embarrassment, “…so close,” she mutters to herself.

She stood up from her seat and swallows the lump in as she bows to her teacher to excuse herself. She slowly and hesitantly made her way down the hall ways to the office, it was as if she was walking to her death, well that it was what it felt like to her. She reaches the hall way of the office and notices HyungSik at the other end. The two looks at each other with a brave face, holding up their fists as if to say ‘hwaiting’. With their brave face on the two approach each other, staring at each other as they stood in front of the office door.

“We go down together!” They mouth to each other.

They walk in to the office together with their brave faces on.

Half an hour later they were outside the office, kneeling on their knees across from the office door holding their arms up on their side. Teachers that walked passed them would give them disappointed looks and mutter at how a disgrace they are to the school. Students walking by would giggle and point and laugh at them.

Being the handsome face of the school that he was, HyungSik would have girls fanning over him, seeing him being punish they would run over to him and feed him snacks to ease his pain. Those girls would be bringing him drinks whenever they felt that he was losing strength, they would wipe off the sweat dripping from his forehead from the heating of the sun beating down on him. YongJoo would roll her eyes every time a new girl would come and do any of those aforementioned actions to him. Noticing her annoyance to this he would always smile that innocent smile of his to ease and calm her. Unlike HyungSik, YongJoo didn’t have any of those type of fans, the only person she had was her other best friend, SeoHyun, who would walk pass whenever classes would end and tend to her as the girls would tend to HyungSik, but she appreciated it nonetheless.

They were in that position the whole day until school was finally over.

“I hope that taught you two a lesson. It’s your final year, shape up.” Their principal lectures one last time before letting them go.

“Yes sir.” The two bow and made their exit, rubbing their legs from soreness.

Grabbing their bags before leaving, the two exited through the main entrance to see SeoHyun waiting for them in the front. YongJoo quickly rushes towards her and links their arms together. She leans in as she places her head on her shoulder. SeoHyun giggles at her actions.

“So why were you absent from homeroom this morning?” SeoHyun asks through her giggle.

YongJoo let out a sigh, “that stupid brother of mine didn’t give me a ride to school so I was late.”

“Again?” Her giggling continues. She turns her attention to HyungSik who was walking from behind, “but didn’t HyungSik give you a ride?”

YongJoo, lifts her head up from SeoHyun’s shoulder and turns back to look at HyungSik walking up to them, “he did, but I told him to make a detour. I thought since we were gonna be late anyway, why not enjoy a bit of it before getting punish for it,” she smiles at her own reasoning.

“And look at where that got you.” SeoHyun teased.

YongJoo releases her arm from SeoHyun and runs towards HyungSik, she links arms with him. “Sorry HyungSik. Sorry I got you in to trouble and making you suffer with me.”

HyungSik smiles at her arm linked to his. “Don’t worry about it. We have each others' back don’t we?”

She smiles at his reply. “Thank you.” She added as she planted a quick peck on his cheek.

He blushes at her peck and quickly turns his attention back in front as they walk up to SeoHyun.



=====



“Where is that damn brother of mine?!” Her voice echoes throughout the corridor as she burst through the front door.

“YongJoo! Your parents are home and they’re in the living room waiting for you.” Her nanny quickly hushes as she informed her.

With a puzzled expression on her face, she made her way towards the living room. She peek her head in to see her parents sitting on the sofa having their tea. She scans the room to see her brother was there as well, sitting properly with his hand on his knees and his back straight. Something was definitely off, she could feel it. She slowly makes her way in to the room.

“Appa. Omma.” She greeted them each with a bow.

Her parents gazes up at her and signals her to take her seat, she took her seat beside her brother as she places her bag beside her chair. She mirrored her brother as she straightens her back and places her hand on her knees.

“What’s going on?” She manages to whisper to her brother beside her.

He shrugs his shoulder, not having the slightest idea of this sudden family meeting.

They sat there for a good ten minutes before YongJoo shift uncomfortably in her seat, clearing in the process. Her parents glance up to her from their cup of teas as they place them back down on the table.

“Appa, omma,” she finally spoke up, “is this about me getting in trouble at school today? If it is, I have a perfectly good explanation for it,” she leers over to her brother beside her.

He gives her a puzzled expression, not knowing what she was referring to.

“No dear, nothing like that.” Their mother finally spoke as she took a sip of her tea.

Their father ruffles the newspaper as he begins to fold it up, settling it down on the table beside his cup of tea. He picks up his cup of tea, took another sip and settles it down.

“Your mother and I will be away for some time. How long, we don’t know, but it will be quite some time. You two are old enough to take care of yourselves while we’re away.” Their father explains.

“It might be more than a year, so we just want to let you know what we’ve got planned for you while we are away.” Their mother added.

“YongHwa, I need you to start attending my meetings at the office. I need you to balance both your schooling and working at the company from now on. I’ll have Mr. Hwang, shadow you as you get adapted to the environment.”

YongHwa’s eyes widen at the sudden responsibilities, “wait, what?! “

A stern look from his father silenced his argument. “Because of my absence I need someone to overlook the company. Since you’ll eventually take over for me it will be a good idea for you to start now. You’ll have Mr. Hwang by your side at all times to help you.”

“But I…” YongHwa wanted to voice but a stern and annoyed stare from both their parents silenced him.

“Whatever you think you need from a personal life is all frivolous.” His mother added as if reading his mind. “Your future is to head the company your father has built. Don’t you forget that.”

“But how am I supposed to balance my schooling and working at the company?” He manages to bravely question, clenching his fingers in to fists.

His father clears his throat. “That’s the challenge my boy. The moment you learn to organize your life you’ll be a better CEO for the company and as a person as a whole.”

“Why can’t you just let me live my life my own way for a bit longer before throwing all these responsibilities on me? I already agreed to take over the business for the benefit of the family, so why can’t I have my school years to enjoy my freedom?!” His voice was now stern and unwavering.

“We have no choice dear. With us being away, we don’t have anyone that we can trust to put in that position.” His mother eased, trying to best explain the situation.

“Where the hell are you going anyway?” YongHwa questions.

“Don’t use that tone with us young man,” his father’s voice was stern and angry.

YongHwa couldn’t take it anymore. “I’m going to my room.” He said through gritted teeth, clenching tightly at his fist as he storms out of the room.

Unaffected by all the commotion, his father just continues to sit at his seat, relaxed as he took another sip of his tea. Their mother’s eyes watches as YongHwa storms out.

“Dear, do you think it was too sudden?” She expresses to her husband.

“It was bound to happen sooner or later, besides we need to leave soon anyway.” He replies, nonchalantly.

Their attention turns back to the other child sitting in the room, who was just sitting on the side watching the whole scene unfold in front of her, eyes widened and not knowing what to say.

“Now with you.” Her father begins, “if you’re still set on going abroad then shape up and stop yourself from getting in to anymore trouble,” his voice uncaring and emotionless.

She nodded obediently as she swallows the lump caught . She turns to her mother to get any further comments.

Her mother smiles at her, “you can go to your room and rest dear.”

She reaches down to grab her bag as she stood up and bows to them as she made her exit. “Good night Appa, omma.”

“Good night dear.” Her mother reply as her father continues to sip at his tea.

She made her way out to the corridor and stops when she heard a tidbit of her parents’ conversation.

“You need to show more care towards the girl dear.” Her mother’s voice continues.

“We took her in didn’t we? Provided for her and gave her what other girls or any child her age will kill for, isn’t that enough?” Her father’s voice was cold and nonchalant.

Her grip on her bag tightens at the coldness of his tone, biting her lips to keep herself from crying. She quickens her pace away from the living room as she made her way up the grand staircase. She stops in the hall as she gazes down towards her brother’s room. She quietly made her way towards the room, knocking at the door before opening it slightly.

“Can I come in?” She asks quietly as she peek her head through the crack of the door, waiting for his answer before walking in.

“What do you want?”

She frowns at the attitude he gave her. She pushes the door open and walks in. “Yah! I don’t appreciate your attitude ok? I got in trouble at school today because of you.” The sudden remembrance of what happened today flashed in her mind, washing away her concern for him just a few minutes ago.

Lying on his bed staring up at the ceiling as he plays with a ball, throwing it up and down, he lets out a chuckle, “so you were late then,” he laughs at the thought.

Her frown continues as she closes the door behind her and made her way towards the bed, sitting at the edge of his bed as she dangle her feet freely.

“Appa just wants what’s best for you.”

He stops playing with his ball as he heaves a big sigh of contemplation. He sat up from the bed and turns to look at her, watching her as she playful dangles her feet freely on his bed. He smiles at her innocence. “Why do you feel that you need to defend him?”

She angles her head towards his direction, placing her chin on her right shoulder. She smiles at him innocently, “why not? He’s our father isn’t he?”

He shook his head and he chuckles at her innocence, “yeah, I guess.” Knowing quite well that that’s not true, far from it.

“Appa loves you very much. Though I know he might not have the same love for me as he would for you but I know that he still cares for me.” Her eyes begins to flicker with tears as she spoke, gripping on to the edge of the bed as she tries to fight the tears from flowing.

He could see her tense body language as she spoke. “YongJoo…”

She quickly turns to him with her innocent smile once more, “and we’re both his kids and we need to respect his decisions for us.”

He smiles at her, knowing quite well how hard it is for her to fight back those tears. He shuffles her hair. “So I guess HyungSik drove you to school this morning then?” Changing the subject as to ease her from letting out those tears she's trying to suppress. He knew her too well.

She releases a chuckle at his question. “Yep, like always.”

He shook his head with a chuckle, “that kid is so in love with you. I can’t believe you can’t see it.”

She glares at him, “no he’s not. Stop saying that. We’re just friends, the very best and nothing is going to ruin that relationship between us.”

He continues to shake his head at her stubbornness towards the truth. “Whatever you say sis, but one day when you’re going to realize it, it’s going to be too late. He’ll be off with another girl, ten times better than you.” He teases.

“Puh-lease, he’s never going to find anyone better than me.” She boasted.

He laughs at her sudden arrogant remark. “Overly confident there are we?” He teases through his laughter.

She frowns at his reaction, “shut up.” She grabs his pillow and begins hitting him. She stops, suddenly realizing what happened this morning. Curse her short attention span and quick mind to change the subject at a whim, “Oppa.”

“Yeah?” He answers as he begins to control his laughter.

“What were you doing in my bathroom this morning? Why didn’t you use your own?” Glaring at him as she questions him.

He wipes the tears of laughter from his eyes as he sat up from the bed. “Go see yourself.” He points to the bathroom.

She furrows her brow in puzzlement. She slowly got off the bed and hesitantly made her way towards his bathroom. Taking hold of the doorknob, she slowly turns the knob, opening it slightly, her eyes widen in shock at the little that she saw through the crack of the door. She swung the door open, a sudden rush of a stench flashes past her, making its way to her senses.

Clothing thrown everywhere, dirty laundry all over the place, stinky socks and underwear littered the floor. Spoiled drinks and rotten food placed on the toilet and inside the bathtub. The odor from all of it merged to make a strong stench that was hard to deny or escape from. It was like a crime scene and the culprit responsible for committing this horrendous crime was the city dump.

“Oppa!” She screeches, turning back to face him, pinching her nose shut. “You are disgusting!”

She rushes over to the bed and grabs her bag. Glaring at him for making her witness and smell that horrendous crime scene that is his bathroom. He continues to laugh at her reaction.

“Get one of the maids to clean that up asap!” She urges him.

He smiles innocently at her and shrugs. “I rather just use your bathroom, it’s so much cleaner.”

“Don’t you dare!” Releasing her hold on her nose, the smell was still lingering in the air. She quickly grabs her nose once more, “just use the house bathroom. Don’t you dare come in to my bathroom again!”

“But I like to spend time with my little sister.” He shouted behind her as she made her way out of his room, a satisfied laugh escaping his mouth.

“You’re disgusting!” She shouted back to him as she enters her room and shutting the door, locking it to make sure her brother doesn’t invade her private sanctuary with his odor.

She let out a sigh of relief as she threw her bag on to the chair by her table. She quickly changes out of her school uniform and threw herself on her bed. Rubbing her knees as the pain from this morning was slowly seeping back. She begins to massage her legs as she turns on her Ipod. She falls back on to her pillow, letting out another relief sigh.

“…we took her in…isn’t that enough?...” Those words echoed in her mind.

She squeezes her eyes tightly to keep the tears from falling. She sat up from the bed and turns to the small cabinet by her bed, she opens the top drawer and pulls out a picture, gazing at the picture lovingly as she traces the image with her fingers. The image of a young girl, about the age of six, standing in between two adults that looked like her parents, holding each of their hands, a smile on all three of their faces. She couldn’t hold it in anymore as the tears begins to seep through, dripping on to the picture.

“Omma. Appa.”