Chapter 2 - Memories, Dreams

Prince's Last Wish

 

C H A P T E R  2  -  M E M O R I E S , D R E A M S


 

As the sun finally sets up, the Crown Prince immediately started preparing for another day of school. Not like his usual morning, there is an invisible bright aura that surrounds him, a slight smile in his cold and stiff face. His butler saw his change, even if it's a small smile, he knew that something in prince's heart that makes him happy. And he can never wish anything but to see the Crown Prince's genuine smile once again.

"Crown Prince, you seem happy today." The butler can't keep his mouth shut, amused as he watches him cleaning his camera. The prince didn't look at him but he can clearly see the hidden smile at the side of his lips. And that piece of smile is already a ‘yes’ for him.

"Will you go to school already? It's still early, Crown Prince."

"I want to go to school this early." Standing up from his bed, he passed by Kangin, walking straight to where the car is waiting. His mood is somewhat light, but maybe it's because of the photo he took yesterday at the school garden.

Kangin has no choice but to follow him. This time, he can't help but to smile at how his progress slowly changes. "I will go now, Kangin-ah." He slip inside the car as it slowly drove away the palace.

"He called me Kangin." His long time butler can't help but so feel an urge of happiness, just by hearing him utter his name. For the first time, he laid his eyes on that boy, Kangin promised himself to take care and serve him at all times, no matter what happens. Finally, he can see his smile, even once.

"Mr. Kangin! Mr. Kangin!" Just like yesterday, a very sweet voice coming from the Crown Princess, greeted him in the morning.

"Oh. Crown Princess. Good morning. Have you slept well?" With all of his respect, he bowed to the princess, greeting her at the same time.

"Is Donghae-oppa still in his room?"

"Crown Prince? He already went to school."

"What? I woke up early today just to make sure that I can come with him to school together." Her frown slowly came in her cheerful face. The Crown Princess always tried her best just to make Donghae happy again, that's the only thing she can do for him, for her sister.

The butler chuckled at how cute she is when she's frowning. "Crown Princess, tomorrow you should wake up earlier." He advised. "What?!" She pouted her lips, walking towards the waiting car. "Mr. Kangin, I will go to school. See you later." The Princess bid her goodbye, entering the black car.

----------

"Yah, Donghae-ya, why are we going to the music department?" The impatient Leeteuk, tugged his arms as they follow the silent prince. "Why are you even asking? Isn't it obvious?" His mortal enemy, Kyuhyun butted in with a smirk on the end of his lips.

"What's obvious?" Leeteuk can't get what he means. "Yah! Call me hyung!" He noticed how disrespectful Kyuhyun is as he tried to teach him the right manners. "Tiffany is in music department, piano major. Remember?" Kyuhyun can't really believe how slow his hyung is.

"Oh. I forgot." The oldest between the three, realized that simple fact. "How can I even call you hyung if I'm smarter than you?" The maknae didn't stop mocking him as Leeteuk finally burst into anger. But before he can curse him to death, a loud thud caught their attention. Their bickering stopped as they saw a girl lying on the floor.

"Oh. What happened?" Leeteuk asked the lad in front of them.

The girl wearing the same uniform as them, started to pick up her things, scattered on the ground. The prince, who is nicknamed as the 'Cold Prince', didn't mind her even if it's his fault why she accidentally bumped into him.

"I'm sorry. I'm so-sorry." The pitiful girl easily recognized the prince, preventing everyone’s stare especially his stare. If you get in the way of a member of the royal family, that would be hard to handle. The playboy, Leeteuk started to pity her especially that her feature is cute, a girl can make his heart waver easily.

But then the prince acted as if no one is right in front of him as he started walking without even helping the girl. With Leeteuk wanted to help her, he just chose to follow Donghae instead.

“Wait for us.” Leeteuk shouted, walking passed by the girl with a regretful feeling. With Kyuhyun left behind, a musical note-shaped eraser caught his eyes as it was lying at the tip of his shoes. He assumes that it’s her belonging as he crouches down to pick it up. Looking at it, his smile slowly came, handing it to the girl at his side. His smile never fades as the girl stared at him with her big rounded surprised eyes.

“Th-thank you.” She thanked him with her heart beating so fast. How could he smile to a stranger like that? She was easily captivated by his killer smile. Then, he left her there, following his hyungs. Her blush slowly came, trying to hide it as soon as she can but then a crack on her violin caught her eyes. Her smile slowly became a frown just by looking at her violin. It was a gift from her late grandfather who just like her, likes to play violin. It’s one of the important things in her life and just because of bumping into a prince, it became like that. It’s not her fault though.

With a peace-loving person like her, she decided to let it pass, thinking of buying a new violin.

"Taeyeon-ah!" A very thin voice intrudes her thoughts as she looks up, meeting a pair of hazel brown eyes. "Are you alright? What happened to you?" The lady can't help but to worry at her pitiful state. "I'm alright, it was an accident." Taeyeon didn't want to make this big, pretending that everything is alright. With her fast reflexes, she tried to hide her violin, afraid of what will her friend say about it. Of course, a friend like her who always fights for justice will never let this little thing pass. She will always fight for right justice even how small an issue is.

"Don't try to hide it, Taeyeon-ah. I saw it, I saw how you look at your violin with your sad expression. I know how important this violin to you and I will not let those guys escape their rightful punishment." Her fearless friend stood up, rising up her spectacles as if she's someone kind of hero.

"Sooyeon-ah, don't worry. It's alright. I will just buy a new one. Don't make this issue big. We can't handle those guys." Taeyeon finally stood up, brushing the dirt on her uniform, still trying to persuade her friend.

"Taeyeon, we should fight for our right. That's what the leaders of our country want us to do." Sooyeon reasoned out, dragging politics in their conversation.

"But he is the leader of our country. He's the Crown Prince."

The girl laughed at her statement. "How can he become the Crown Prince? The Crown Prince and I share the same perspective about justice. The Crown Prince will never ignore his people." She dictated as if she's campaigning.

"He just did, Sooyeon-ah." Taeyeon can't understand how her mind works. Her friend sometimes became so weird like this one. "Wait. How did you know that you and the Crown Prince shared those weird perspectives?" Her statement earlier caught Taeyeon.

"I just felt it. It's like telepathy." The girl with the spectacles answered weirdly. "Yah. Are you alright? What's with the telepathy thing?" Taeyeon can't help but to worry about her strange actions.

"I don't have time for this. Give me that." Sooyeon retrieved the musical note-shaped eraser from her small hands as she walked towards the three guys. Taeyeon tried to stop her insane act, following her. "Sooyeon, not that eraser!"

With Sooyeon's fast speed, she catches up with them. Finally having a little gap, Sooyeon tried to measure where will her throw hit. She needs to hit him exactly in his head to knock him down. With her nicknamed as the 'sharp shooter' in marbles in her elementary days, she's sure that it will land right through that arrogant guy's big and airy head.

And with her throw, her lips parted, hoping to hit his head and BAM! Her calculations never fail as it landed at his head, making a hard impact. The three stopped as well as the curios students around them.

"How can he do that to a Prince?"

"Is she insane?"

"She will be thrown in jail for sure."

As if some kind of angel walked through the hallway with its deafening silence. Sooyeon heard everyone's comment, but it didn't let her confidence to sway down. She waited for him to face her. 'It's now or never, Sooyeon.' She encouraged herself, walking with full of confidence towards them without even hesitating.

"Sooyeon! Let's go." Taeyeon tried to pull her away but she continues walking without any fear.

"Yah! Is it hard to say sorry? You should at least help her. Her violin is very important to her but you just passed by her as if nothing happened. Are you even considering yourselves as a man?" Her harsh words let out her uncontrollable lips, still waiting for them to face her.

"Yah. Miss, it was an accident. And can't you see it's the Crown Prince." Leeteuk fought for their side.

"Ha! Crown Prince? We don't have a Crown Prince like him! The Crown Prince that I kno--" She cut her words as the so called Crown Prince finally faced her, making her jaw drop.

"C-c-crown Prince?" Her confidence started to lose down, knowing that he is really the Crown Prince. She recognized him instantly.

"What do you know about me?" His cold voice echoed the whole hallway. With his glares, she can't help but to feel scared.

With her nervousness, she started biting the tip of her nails, thinking of something to say. No matter what she do, she can't win over a prince of their country. But then as she looked back at him, her eyes met his cold stares. She felt her heart started jumping frantically but behind her fast heartbeats, she felt some kind of pain, a pain that is new, unexplainable pain in the deepest part of her heart.

"You..." Donghae felt somekind of familiarity with his eyes staring deeply at hers. Then he finally came to realization that this girl was the mysterious girl in his photo, the girl standing under the cherry blossom in their school garden. Finally the reason why they are here in the music department is because of her, he wants to find out who was the girl in that photo. In her picture, she was holding a violin, assuming that she's majoring in violin and his assumptions where definitely right and exact.

Sooyeon stared at him, with her eyes slowly turned into a teary one. Why is she like this? She doesn't know why. She can feel an invisible intrusive connection between them. She can feel that she saw him somewhere a long time ago but no matter what backtracking she does, she can't recall who he is. With his face all over the news, she surely knew what he looks like but why does she felt something unusual with seeing him personally, right before her eyes?

Ding! Dong!

The sound of the bell broke their intense eye contact. The students started walking back to their rooms with them left on the hallway. "Donghae, let's go. We still have class." Leeteuk wake his senses as he pretended that nothing was wrong. Then they finally walked away back from their department.

As if she's a statue, Sooyeon stayed on her place, processing everything that occurred to her. Her legs started to wiggle with her head currently doing intense tumbling as she lost her balance falling on something. Luckily, Taeyeon was standing beside her as she caught her.

"Sooyeon-ah, are you alright?"

"I'm alright." Her lungs started to function abnormally as she felt like collapsing. "My head it hurts..." She can't take the excruciating pain inside her head.

"Taeyeon-ah..."

With her last word, she completely lost her consciousness.

-----------

The words coming out from this bald headed guy never enters his ears, with his mind still thinking the incident earlier. Her face is exactly the same as Jessica. If Jessica would grow up, she would definitely look like her. His mind started to be confused with what's happening, with those unexpected things. A part of him believes that it is Jessica but a small part of him doesn’t believe. The longing he feels for her is endless but as soon as he saw her, he felt her presence once again, he felt like Jessica is there, in front of him.

But some things contradict with his assumptions. Why didn't Jessica recognize him if she really is Jessica? Why that girl looked so surprised when she saw him? Why does she know many things about a Crown Prince? What's the meaning of her words saying that she knew the Crown Prince? Why did she act as if they never met?

Some ends have its pair but some have loose ends, no specific reason to prove. But then he started to remember the gesture she made earlier, how she bites her nails when she's nervous is just like the Jessica he very well knew. The 10 year old Jessica used to bite her nails before meeting the King and Queen and he as her prince always try to hinder her from doing so. It's the same, definitely the same but many people do the same thing when they are nervous so that doesn't prove that she's really the missing Princess.

Why is it when he slowly finds the right way, he always ended up reaching a dead end, a wrong way. He should know who she really is, he should prove that she is the late Princess Jessica, he will...perhaps.

---------

"W-who are you?"A cute little girl asked the mysterious looking kid in front of the fountain. The little guy shifted his gaze to her with his frown.

"You don't know who am I?"The little kid asked. "I'm the prince." He continued still with his frown.

"Why are you frowning?"The little girl walked towards him, sitting on the side of the fountain. The prince started to wonder who she is as he looked at her suspiciously.

"Who are you?"The prince didn't answer her question, asking who she is.

"Hmmm..."The girl started to think before answering but as she finally thought of an answer, she excitedly raised her finger upwards.

"I'm your guardian angel. I'm here to make you happy." The girl smiled at him, trying to cheer him up.

"Guardian angel?"

"Right. So you should tell me what's bothering the prince's mind?" She giggled secretly, successfully making the prince believe that she's really his guardian angel. "My father...the King told me that I need to marry soon." He confessed finally sitting down beside her. "What's the problem with marrying your princess?" She asked, not getting his point. "But I'm still 8 years old and I don't want to marry a stranger." He reasoned out, crossing his little arms. But before the little girl can utter her words,

"Prince Donghae!"A manly voice called him. They both stood up, startled with the voice. "It must be butler Kangin." The prince said worriedly.

"Prince Donghae, I need to go. We shall meet again and I promise to help you." The little girl bowed at him as she started running away. Donghae wanted to ask her name before she could leave but butler Kangin found him.

"Prince Donghae! Prince Donghae! The Queen is so worried. Let's go inside."Kangin pulled the little Donghae inside the palace but his gaze never left to where his guardian angel ran.

"I should have asked her name."He mumbled to his self as he got inside the palace.

"Sooyeon-ah! Sooyeon-ah!" A voice rang inside her head, making her back to reality.

Sooyeon woke up with her sweat trickling down her forehead. Her breathing started to change abnormally just like earlier as she stared at nowhere. Those unclear dreams, she can't understand everything, anything. It's been years since she started to dream about the prince and a little girl but every time she can finally know what's the name of the girl, she always woke up with her fast heart beating, as if it was a nightmare. But she clearly knew that those vivid dreams where far from nightmare, her dreams where beautiful, a meaningful dream.

"Taeyeon-ah." When her mind where somewhat cleared, she noticed her worried friend beside her. "Where am I?" She asked, familiarizing the place.

"You lost your consciousness earlier so I brought you to the clinic. The nurse said that you're lack sleep and you just need to rest." Her friend explained her condition. But as she heard that she's fine, she decided to go home and just rest there.

"Where are you going? You should rest." Taeyeon halted the hard-headed lady in front of her. "You said I'm fine so I will go home. Mom and Dad might get worried." The patient stood up, getting here things at the table. 

"Are you sure you're alright?" Her friend didn't let her leave this place, knowing that she still needs to rest. "Taeyeon-ah, you know me, I'm strong than everyone thought. So let's go home, alright?"

With her calm pleading, Taeyeon finally agreed. "Just don't think about things that can stress you out, rest as soon as you reach home." Like a mother, she reminded her about her health.

---------

"Oppa." Donghae walked through the palace, seeing the Crown Princess looking and calling him. The prince nodded in response, staying beside her. "King Donghwa and Queen Hana want to talk to us." She said, pertaining to Donghae's parents. Tiffany's parents came from royalty but her parents aren't living at the palace because the Crown Princess is not yet the Queen.

"Your majesty, Crown Prince Donghae and Crown Princess Tiffany has arrived." One of the servants announced.

"Let them in."

The two decided to enter their chamber as the door slides open. Before taking their seats, they gave a respectful bow towards the King and Queen. With the King's nod, they sat opposite with each other.

"It's been 10 years since the death of the late Princess Jessica..." The king started. With Jessica as part of the topic, Donghae can't help but to cringe at his seat. 'She's not dead.' His thoughts try to convince his self. He felt that they didn't do anything to find the princess and just believed on what the rescuers said. Just like Donghae, Tiffany felt uneasy when her sister is brought up.

"...and we decided to push through your wedding next month. We let your wedding to be postponed since the Crown Prince was 15 because of his state but now we can see the improvement and change, and we came up in our final decision. As your father, I know that you're already fine." The King finished his words, staring at his son.

"And we can't let Crown Princess Tiffany to wait again for another year." Queen Hana added, watching the princess. She's very fond of Tiffany, saying that she can see her princess days to her. The Princess smiled towards the Queen who she already considers as her mother.

"I'm getting old. I need someone to replace me soon." King Donghwa said with a laugh. "Your majesty, please don't say that." The Queen can't help but to worry at his words.

"I..." Donghae started, not looking at their direction. Tiffany waited for his decision. This wedding is not really important to her, even if Donghae doesn't want to marry her, it's fine to her because she knew his true feelings towards her sister.

"I will marry her..." The smiles in their faces slowly show up but those smiles didn't last long with his final words. "but let it be at the end of this year." It's only April this month and it means there are 8 months to wait. The King and Queen were both shocked with his response.

"I want to finish this school year first." He made up his excuse, trying to avoid the wedding matters. Tiffany knew it, that this will be Donghae’s decision. Even if he looks fine, she knew that he can’t still move on.

“But—” The King started his words with an angered expression but Tiffany cut him.

“Your majesty, let me say my opinion.” The Crown Princess bowed respectfully, waiting for his response. “Alright. You can talk.”

“I agree with the Crown Prince.” Everyone was left surprised as well as Donghae, he didn’t expect the Tiffany will agree with him. “I want to concentrate first in my college since it’s my first year. It will be better to postpone the wedding until the end of the year.”

The royalty couple started to think of the right way. Tiffany told them her opinion and they can’t do anything about it. If it’s her decision, they will respect it for sure. “If that’s what the Crown Princess want, then we will consider postponing it but this will be the last.” The King uttered their final decision, agreeing with the postponement. With the final decision, Donghae watched Tiffany, thankful at what she did. If Tiffany didn’t agree, his words will be just a waste and their wedding might be really next month.

“Then both of you can go.” The Queen mentioned. The 2 of them bowed courteously as they made their way out of the room. Finally stepping out of the stuffy room, Donghae breathed out heavily, releasing all the tension in his body.

“Thank you, Tiffany.”

With his thankful words, she can’t help but to giggle at him. “Donghae-oppa, it’s the first time you thanked me while smiling.”

“I’m just really thankful for your decision.”

“You don’t have to thank me. That’s the right thing to do.” She responded with her infamous eye smile. Just like Jessica, Tiffany resembles her so much but Donghae can’t like her as much as Jessica, for him, Tiffany is just a sister that he needs to protect no matter what. With her words, he promised to his self to treat Tiffany kindly from now on.

“Oh. Good evening, Crown Prince and Crown Princess.” A foreign voice interrupted their talk as they both faced the owner of the voice. “Oh. Mrs. Choi.” The both of them easily recognized the woman in front of them. Mrs. Choi is a long time friend of the royalty. Even if they don’t have the royal blood, they are very close to every member. They once helped the royal family.

“How are you? The both of you grew up handsome and beautiful.” Mrs. Choi complimented the two with the sudden change in their feature since they were little kids. Their perfect faces can make everybody admire them in an instant. “You look beautiful too, Mrs. Choi.” Donghae complimented back the woman. The three of them started to laugh with his statement.

“Kids, we should talk later. I need to speak to the King and Queen.” Both of them agreed as they waited Mrs. Choi to enter the chamber but then a lad caught their attention. The lad followed Mrs. Choi inside the chamber without looking at the two. With Tiffany, staring deeply at the lad, she can feel a piece of familiarity with his gaze. Then she can feel her heart slowly changing its pace.

“I will go back to my room.” Donghae bid his goodbye to the Princess, leaving the place. With Tiffany’s curiosity, she asked Kangin. “Mr. Kangin, who’s that guy with Mrs. Choi?”

“It’s Mr. Choi Siwon, Crown Princess.”

“What? Choi Siwon?!?” She can’t control her talkative mouth, bursting out his name loudly. But then suddenly, the door where the King and Queen are, swung open, revealing the lad. Of course, he probably heard it, with her loud voice that echoed the whole place, no doubt he heard it.

Her hazel brown eyes caught his eyes, making the atmosphere more awkward. “I mean… you are C-choi Siwon.” She tried to think of a good excuse, biting her lower lip. She mentally slapped herself for being so loud. With her strange words, Siwon can’t help but to smile at her, showing his breathtaking dimples.

With his smile in his lips, she can’t help but to stare at it. She felt the butterflies in her stomach just by staring to a perfect creature like him. She can’t help but to fell in love again towards this lad.

“Long time no see, Tiffany.”

-----------

The childhood friends, Tiffany and Siwon walked around the palace garden to have some talk, to catch up with the 10 years that they missed together. “You look very beautiful, Tiffany.” The lad broke the silence, complimenting her alluring beauty. She was a kid with a bubbly personality but now she turned into a well-mannered and classy woman. With his sudden remark, the lady can’t help but to hide her blush while smiling her lips out.

“Thank you.” She responded shyly.“I heard that you’re attending Dongwook University.” The lad changed the topic, still with the both of them walking slowly. “Yes. On my first year, piano major.”

“That’s good then.” Siwon response was out of the topic as she stared at him, surprised and puzzled. “What do you mean?” The princess didn’t let him pass. “I mean it’s good that you’re already on college.” He responded unsurely.

“How’s the life of being the Crown Princess?”

“Happy. Exciting. Tiring?” She laughed at the last word. “It’s just the same, I’m happy with my life now.” She continued, assuring him that she’s living a good life. What can she asks for now that she’s the princess of this country. “That’s good to know.”

“Are you staying here in Korea?” She can’t help but to ask if he’s here for a vacation or they will stay here for good. “My mom wants to live here again. It’s been 10 years already and she misses her friends and family here.”

Her smile slowly shows up, knowing that she can see Siwon more this time.

“I heard you’re getting married.” Suddenly, the topic changed into a serious one. “At the end of this year.” She muttered hesitantly.

Facing her, he watched her twinkling eyes. “I can’t believe that my little sister will be married first and soon be the Queen of this country.” He started. Little Sister. So she is just a little sister for him. A sudden pain in her heart tingles inside her heart. For all this time, she thought that the guy she wanted to be with is him but it turns out to be opposite. She’s just a little sister. The painful part in loving someone is that when the person you love is just beside you and yet you can’t do anything but to watch that person love somebody else.

“I know you can do it.” Siwon encouraged him with his words. Her heart sink just by watching him smile, how can he smile if she’s hurting inside? But then she chose to pretend, to act that she’s not affected. “Thank you.” She responded with her half-smile.

“Siwon-ah! Siwon!” A voice coming from Mrs. Choi, interrupted the two. “I think we’re going home. See you tomorrow at school, Tiffany.” The lad bid his goodbye with the same cheerful and excited smile he wears. She waved her hand, watching them departing the palace. Maybe her destiny is really to be the Queen and to marry Donghae. No matter what her destiny is, she will just follow it, somehow.

“Wait. What did he mean by ‘See you tomorrow at school’?”

-----------

“Yah. I can’t believe that you’re my partner in this project.” Leeteuk protested, sitting down on the chair. “I don’t want to be your partner also.” The lad countered back. “Donghae, look at that guy. He’s too obvious that he’s happy with his partner.” The two shifted their gaze to the maknae.

Kyuhyun was grinning out his smile while staring at his goddess-like partner. How lucky he is to be partnered with Seohyun? “So that’s what we will do, alright?” Seohyun explained the things to do in their project not knowing that Kyuhyun was just staring on her for the whole time. It’s the first time for him to talk this long with her and the feeling is unexplainably happy, beyond the limit of his happiness. His heart is jumping frantically as if she’s some kind of famous actress. Well, he’s totally in love with this girl.

“Kyuhyun-ah?” Seohyun noticed his endless gazes, waving her hands before his eyes. “Are you listening?” She added. “Y-yes. I’m listening.” He straightened up his back, pretending that he heard everything.

“You didn’t smile back at me the other day and now you’re not listening to me.” She mumbled with a pout in her lips, while reading the project proposal.

“What?” But he heard it clearly. “What do you mean by the other day?” He can’t understand her words, asking her to elaborate it more. “What I heard about them is true, you’re really arrogant.”

“I’m not arrogant! The other day, you didn’t smile at me, you smiled at Donghae-hyung.” He instantly defended his side, clearing things out. With his explanation, Seohyun can’t help but to giggle at his expression and her mistake. “Ah, that’s why Donghae smiled back at me.” She can’t help but to smile while looking at him.

“S-so… it means you s-smiled at me?” Stuttering with his own words, he stared at her, waiting for her response.

Ding! Dong!

The bell suddenly alarmed, indicating that it’s already the end of this period. Seohyun chose not to respond to his obvious question as she got back on her seat, smiling towards the baffled lad. “Seohyun!” The lad didn’t give up following her.

“Look at Kyuhyun. I can’t believe that they became so close just now. He’s faster than me when it comes to girls.” Leeteuk remarked, feeling defeated over the youngest. Donghae just watched them having their moment.

“Oh, by the way, I heard the girl yesterday collapsed after we left.” Leeteuk shared.

“What?” Donghae can’t believe him, standing up frantically. “Is she alright? Did she go to school?” Questions started to come out from his lips, making Leeteuk confused. “Yah, Donghae, calm down, they said she’s alright now but I don’t know if she attended school.” He calmed down his friend. His worry reached his limits, suddenly walking out of the room, without saying any word to Leeteuk.

“Not again.” Leeteuk mumbled, following the prince.

-----------

 

A/N: Here's an update. I'm sorry I didn't update last 2 days. As my promise, this chapter will be longer. And little by little you will know the relationships of the characters and their past. Thank you for the comments and subscribers. I hope you will all like this update, I will update as soon as I can. Thank you! Follow me on twitter @mocchini_09