CHAPTER 2

ETERNITY

 

CHAPTER 2






March 12, 2010 – Tokyo, Japan 9:30a.m.

Sandara clasp and unclasps her hands while waiting to be called into the conference room. She’s sitting on a long leather bench chair. The secretary notices Sandara’s uneasiness and asks her if she needs something to drink. Sandara shyly shakes her head. She begins tapping her heels on the white marble floor. Where is Sang Hyun? She turns her head left to right searching for her brother. “He’s up to something, I can feel it.” She leans her head back against the wall behind her and closes her eyes.


*FLASHBACK*

November 12, 1910

“Noona, why are you doing this to yourself? You love him but why?”

Sang Hyun is standing by her window looking at their backyard. He shakes his head in dismay. Sandara puts her hand over her heart, “You know the answer Sang Hyun. We can’t be together. We’re different from him. Our parents has always reminded us we must not fall in love with a human. We are only their protectors not lovers. It’s forbidden, baby bro.” Her tears slowly roll off her cheeks.

Sang Hyun walks over to her and sits on her bed, “Noona, you fell in love with a human and so what? I know you’re a fighter. I believe what you and hyung have is pure love that will break all boundaries. Why can’t you fight for your love? I know he would definitely fight for your love and not give up.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of, Sang Hyun. I know he will do that but I want him to live a normal life with someone else.” Sandara fiddles with the pendant around her neck.

Sang Hyun shakes her shoulders, “That’s a lie! You’re going to be miserable for the rest of your life if you do this. Noona, are you ready to forget about him?”

Sandara let’s go of the pendant, “Yes.”

“Noona, what are you planning to do? You broke up with him last night right?”

“Yes I did. It’s been a week since I’ve been giving him the cold shoulder. I guess he felt that our love is breaking apart. Last night, I finally told him I didn’t love him anymore… that it’s best if we didn’t see each other.” She starts fiddling her pendant again.

“Just like that? What did hyung do or say?” Sang Hyun could not believe how nonchalantly she was telling him about their break up.

“He just nodded his head and nothing…. I didn’t see any expression on his face. He was really quiet after that and the only thing he said to me was ‘Good night.’” Sandara stands up and walks over to her window.

“Noona, it’s your 16th birthday today and also your 1st anniversary with hyung. You’re supposed to be happy today but look what you’re doing to yourself on this day.” Sang Hyun walks over and stands beside her.

“Mom and Dad won’t be home until dinner time. I know Seung Hyun will be coming over. He knows he’s forbidden to come over to our house but I have a strong feeling he’ll be here soon.” Sandara walks back to her bed and lies down.

“What are you doing, noona?” Sang Hyun tilts his head.

“Baby bro, please do this for me? Lie to him.” She looks at him with pleading eyes.

“What?! I can’t noona!”

“Please Sang Hyun….it’s best for both of us. I can feel it already…I’m going to be a ‘Guardian’ soon. You know the number one rule is to keep our identity a secret from the human race. Do you want his whole memory to be erased if the Elders find out he knows what we are?”

Sang Hyun shakes his head, “He deserves to keep all his memories from when he was a child and up to now. I don’t want him to forget about you, Noona. What do you want me to say?”

“I’m going to fake my death. I feel stronger now and I believe I can stop my heart from beating for a long period. I practiced earlier….Tell him I had a terrible illness that’s why I had to break up with him. I don’t want him to suffer with me. Tell him I have always loved him and that I’m sorry for breaking his heart…” Sandara closes her eyes and a tear escapes the corner of her eye.

“Noona, he’s here…” Sang Hyun sees Seung Hyun walking across their backyard heading toward their backdoor. He turns around and his sister is peacefully laying still. He knows she stopped her heart already. He can’t hear a heartbeat in the room other than his own. Noona this is wrong…this is suppose to be a happy day for both of you... He walks out of her bedroom and heads downstairs to open the door for Seung Hyun.


**END OF FLASHBACK**


“Excuse me, Ms. Park?”

Sandara blinks a couple times. A blurry figure is standing in front of her. She immediately stands up and bows her head, “Madam! I’m so sorry for falling asleep!”

The middle age lady smiles, “No, it’s fine. I apologize for making you wait this long. The Elders are ready to talk to you. Follow me.” She gestures her toward a big brown maple double door.

“Sorry, but may I ask where my brother is?” Sandara is walking a foot away from the lady. 

The lady turns her head, “He’s with your grandparents in the other conference room. You’ll be joining them after your meeting with the Elders.”

“I’m meeting with them alone?” Sandara heart starts to pound nervously.

“Yes. Right this way, Ms. Park.” She softly ushers Sandara through the double door.

--------------------------------------------







Sandara is sitting at the end of the conference table. Seven pairs of eyes are staring at her. She feels uneasy. One of the Elders sitting at the other end of the table speaks, “Relax, Sandara. You’re not in trouble.” Soft laughter fills the room by the other Elders. 

Sandara cracks a nervous smile, “Mr. Nakamura, I was wondering why you called this meeting. If I’m not in trouble…are you assigning me a new mission to do?” She bites her lower lip.

Mr. Nakamura shakes his head, “No mission for you starting today. We want you to take a break. We have everything under control here in this country. I believe it’s time for you to go back home and rest for awhile.”

“This is my home sir. I’ve been living here for 50 years. This is the only place where I have stayed the longest. I don’t understand why you want me to leave.” Sandara blushes. She feels embarrass like she disrespected the Elder for answering back. She bites her lower lip again.

The other Elder on Mr. Nakamura left side speaks up, “We know that for a fact but my dear we’ve also been monitoring you for 50 years. You’re heart is not completely here with us.”

“Huh?” Sandara looks at the 7 Elders – they all look to be about in their 60s but they just have this eerie aura that shouts RESPECT them or else you’ll be in big trouble. She gulps and cautiously thinks of a proper way to ask them ‘What the hell are they talking about?’ But before she could think of a proper question another Elder speaks cutting off her thoughts.

“You look confuse. Sandara you’ve been taught the Guardian good morals and deeds. You know that you’re heart plays an important role of being a Guardian.” He pauses and waits for Sandara to respond. She nods her head. “Our love for peace in this world keeps us alive. We are put in this world to protect and guide the humans. We feel like your heart is not completely dedicated to Guardian duty. I mean you do a good job in all the missions you’ve been on but we feel like your mind is elsewhere.” 

Sandara’s mouth drops open. She watches Mr. Tanaka take a sip of his glass water. She blinks and closes . Mr. Tanaka continues, “You never failed us once but we’re afraid if we allow you to go on that maybe one day you’ll break. It’s like you’re a fragile vase sitting on top of a very delicate shelf. One small move and it’ll all fall apart breaking into a million pieces, that’s you Ms. Park.”

“I don’t understand.” Sandara feels her heart beating uncontrollably. 

Mr. Nakamura smiles, “You’re heartbroken. You need closure, Ms. Park.”

Sandara cheeks flush pink. I’m going to kill Sang Hyun later. “Mr. Nakamura…”

“Please don’t kill your brother later. We asked him for the truth and he just answered us. We’ve noticed ever since you and your brother first joined our council here that you looked lost. It was just a matter of time until we got a better understanding as to why you moved like a lifeless robot. We thought it was because of your parents’ death. But the other Guardians told us their observations of you during your evaluation and that’s when we knew it was because of love. Every time a Guardian couple passes by showing their affection for one another they notice how you would cringe in pain and run away. But I believe you learned to control that feeling of pain after a few years of living here. They reported to me that once in a while you would act that way. We thought it wouldn’t be a problem that maybe you’ll fall in love with another Guardian and move on. But it seems to me you’re having a difficult time, Ms. Park. May we ask why?” Mr. Nakamura nods his head for her to speak.

Sandara looks down at her hands on her lap, “Er, Mr. Nakamura. I was very young then when I first fell in love. It was before I fully turned into a Guardian. I know I made an oath when I became a fully pledge Guardian that I cannot tell a lie in front of an Elder. So, I understand why my brother told you about my problem. I fell in love with a human….” She slowly lifts her head to see their reaction and what she saw surprised her. They were all smiling at her and they don’t look angry. I don’t understand. I thought we were forbidden to fall in love with humans. My parents always reminded me about that. Aren’t they going to punish me?

Mr. Tanaka takes another sip of his water then speaks again, “You look surprise, Ms. Park. Were you thinking we’re going to punish you for falling in love with a human?”

Sandara nods her head. All the Elders shake their heads and Mr. Nakamura continues on, “What year did you fall in love with a human?”

“1909 and 1910 I broke up with him. My parents told me we were forbidden to fall in love with a human and if the Elders find out that they would erase the human’s entire memory.” Sandara looks down again at her hands.

“We took into consideration in the 1950s that we should change the consequences with that law. It was unfair for the human and also the Guardian. But still our secrets must be kept away from our enemies. Again you’ve been train in how to detect our enemies but they’re very deceiving and humans are easy targets. Anyhow, we allowed Guardians who have relationships with humans to keep it on the down low. We have set standards for them to be extremely cautious of not letting their partners know our secret.” Mr. Nakamura taps his finger on the table.

“And if their partners find out?” Sandara asks nervously.

“We turned down a notch with the memory erasing consequence. We only erased their memory of them falling in love with a Guardian. Even with the slight change of consequence most of the Guardians would rather have a relationship among our kind because they can live freely without lies and also have a family. A Guardian and a human could never bare a child due to the non compatibility of our reproductive systems. Plus most of the Guardians know all the struggles both parties will go through if they prolong the relationship.” Mr. Nakamura clasps his hands together. All of the Elders quietly wait for Sandara to respond.

Sandara’s forehead creases. Confusion written all over her face, she shakes her head. “So, why are you guys sending me back to Korea? The human I fell in love with has been dead for 100 years. I have nothing to go back to….”

“We want closure, visit his grave and end this sadness. You need to move on. We need your head fully cleared for the war that may come with the vampires. You’re a strong fighter with a pure heart that wants to protect the human race and our kind. But your current state right now is fragile. Sandara, we need you to be strong.” Mr. Nakamura pulls out a piece of envelope from a black folder. “Your flight is tomorrow morning. Spend the rest of the day with your brother. Here is our order you must follow and not disobey.”

Mr. Tanaka takes the envelope. He walks over to Sandara and places it in front of her. “You’re off duty Sandara. The Guardians in Korea will not need your help for now but they’ll be keeping their eyes on you making sure you’re following order. We wish and hope you find closure and when you do you’ll be able to return back to our council here.”

“I will obey your order. May I ask one more question?” Sandara slowly takes the envelope.

“Yes you may.” Mr. Tanaka returns back to his seat.

“How long will I stay in Korea?” Sandara stares at the envelope in her hands.

“Until you have completely moved on…We’ll know if you have by your aura. Right now we could see that your aura is not at its brightest like the rest of the Guardians in our council. You’ll call us when you’re ready. One of the Elders in Korea will determine whether you’re ready to return back to our council. Be safe Ms. Park.” Mr. Tanaka smiles warmly at her and so do the rest of the Elders.

Sandara stands up and bows her head, “Thank you.”

--------------------------------------------




Outside the conference room, Sandara slowly opens the envelope. She reads what’s written on the paper and frowns. Someone taps her shoulder. She turns around and smiles sweetly, “Sang Hyun. Baby bro.”

“Noona, you look happy.” Sang Hyun grins.

“I’m very happy thanks to you! I need a hug.” She opens her arms waiting for him to hug her.

Sang Hyun closes the gap between them. Sandara quickly covers his mouth before he screams for help. In a blink of an eye the siblings disappears from being in front of the conference room double door. Sandara’s incredible speed takes them into another secluded conference room far away from the Elders. She pins her brother against the wall, lifting him a couple feet off the ground.

“Noona, I love you! Please don’t kill me! Aahhhhhhhhh!!”

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't you guys just love these two siblings? hehehe ;)

tumblr_lfyzasPZBc1qa4od3o1_500.jpg