Teaser 03

Yume Maid Café (APPLY CLOSED)

"What is it Ria?" Jaejoong asked as he turned around to face his little sister. Ria dropped her hand from the position it had been in to tap him on the shoulder. 'How does he always know when I'm here?' she thought to herself. Ria glanced past him at his computer, sitting on the dining room table. Of course, he was playing Star Craft. It always amazed Ria how her brother could work, cook, eat, sleep, play video games, and keep up his social life. No matter, that was just one of the wonders of Jae. And there were plenty of wonders to this kid.

Ria came out of her thoughts and Jae was still looking at her, patient as ever. She quickly pointed to herself and then to the door, signaling to Jae that she was going to go out for a bit. He nodded and gave her one of his special, heart-warming smiles. "Whatcha gonna do?" he asked never taking his eyes from her. She shrugged her shoulders in response and tried her hardest to put on a convincing poker face. It wasn't her specialty, but Jae seemed to believe it well enough and gave her a lopsided smile before motioning toward the door and turning back to his computer.

Ria nodded and grabbed her coat off her rack next to the door. "Oh, Ria!" she heard Jaejoong shout from the dining room, "Could you stop by the grocery store and get some milk? You finished the last carton." Ria gave a little grunt to show that she had heard him and walked out of the apartment.

After going down the elevator and walking through the glass doors, the spring breeze immediately met Ria with a warm gust. Ria breathed it in deeply. The outdoors can be so nice, especially when the weather cooperates. But this wasn't the day to stand around and enjoy the weather, she had work to do. Literally.

Ria had never been job hunting before, but she knew that it wasn't going to be easy. Especially with her.... condition. She gripped her notebook and pen tighter as she got the regular marveling stares from passersby on the street. Ria could never tell if it was her height, her somewhat baggy clothes, her skater shoes, or her short hair? Or was it something else entirely? Was she so odd that even random strangers on the street sensed there was something off about her? Ria shook her head, trying to clear her mind of the haunting thoughts. 'Stop getting yourself sidetracked,' she scolded herself silently.

Quickly, she set her mind to the task at hand. Scanning every window in every shop, she searched desperately for a 'Help Wanted' or a 'Now Hiring' sign. Nothing. She kept walking, going through all the main shopping districts and being sure to go down each side of the streets. Still nothing. About an hour had gone by and there was no sign of anyone looking for employees. Well, what could she expect. There were tons of people in Seoul, plenty of them without jobs. The second a 'Now Hiring' sign went up, there were tons of people after it. Still, it wasn't time to give up.

After another half hour of looking, Ria finally saw what she was looking for. In a department store across the street, a large orange sign signaled her salvation. "Finally!" she said under her breath. She was so exciting, she let the word flow off her tongue despite herself. She ran across the street, jaywalking (<----- haha, she's a jay walker XD) like a pro.

Taking a deep breath, she slowly opened the door. A bell sounded, letting the clerks know that someone had just walked in. A man, much shorter than herself, bumped into her on his way out and hurriedly walked out without apologizing. Ria glanced back at him, mentally commenting on his lack of manners, before turning back to the employee that was standing in front of her. "May I help you, miss?" she asked, seeming very polite and kind. Ria nodded enthusiastically and pointed to the sign in the window. As she turned to look at where her finger pointed, Ria saw a man wearing the same uniform as the girl in front of her, peeling the tape from around the sign and taking it off the window. Ria turned back to the girl who was looking at her apologetically. "I'm so sorry," she said, sounding sincere, "We just hired the last person that we needed." The girl cocked her head and waited for a response. Ria, feeling utterly defeated, slumped her shoulders a bit and walked out of the store. Just as she had thought, jobs in Seoul went as quickly as freshly baked cookies in a house full of toddlers.

Ria knew that she shouldn't lose hope after one rejection, but it was hard after having looked so long and finally finding a sign that was about to be taken down. Ria, only half aware of the stores she was passing, slowly made her way back toward her apartment. It was getting late and Jae would probably be wondering where she had run off to and he was probably lonely by now. She could always try again tomorrow, but she couldn't stop the feeling of failure as it swept over her. This was the third day she had been searching the streets and the first day she had even seen a sign asking for help. It seemed impossible. At this rate, she'd never get a job, much less save up enough money to get the extra special birthday present for Jae. Her shoulders slumped even more at the thought and her held tilted down in shame. She realized she was clutching the notebook at her side so hard that the binding had made an imprint on her hand, so she let her grip relax.

Looking up to enjoy the fading light in the gorgeous sunset, she had the sudden urge to draw. Sitting down on the grass to the side of the sidewalk, she took her notebook and began to sketch the sunset. It was hard to do considering she only had a pencil with her, but with her mastery of shading, she was able to pull it off. The sun had just gone behind the horizon as Ria finished in the dimming light. She looked down at her finished drawing. It was satisfactory. Sure the ocean was an add-in, but Ria thought it added a nice touch.

"That's very pretty," she heard from directly behind her. Startled, Ria bolted up from her sitting position and whipped herself around to find herself face to face with a woman who looked to be in her early twenties. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," the woman said stifling a giggle. "Your drawing is very good. Do you draw as a profession?" she asked. Ria shook her head slowly, still unsure of what to think of this woman. "Well you should." she said with a smile on her face. "That is, unless you want to work at my café." Ria almost choked on her saliva. Was this lady serious? "I'm sorry, I'm being rude. My name is Minhee, I'm the owner of this maid café." She motioned to the house behind her before offering her hand for Ria to shake. Ria gladly did as she tried to force herself to speak her own name. It wouldn't come. She was too scared, though she couldn't tell what of. Instead, she pulled her hand back and quickly wrote on a blank page in the notebook. She held it up for the lady to see. "Well hello there, Ria. So might you be interested in a job here at my café?" Ria nodded vigorously. Minhee's smile widened as she grabbed Ria's hand and led her into the house-like building.

Inside, the walls were covered in flowers, and hearts, and paintings that made the room look incredibly busy, but at the same time adorable. Around the room, tables with pink, flowery table clothes and similarly designed chairs were placed a tiny bit too close together. A bookcase on the far wall held all sorts of knick-knacks along with tea sets. There were a lot of empty shelves, most likely for baked goods, but it still seemed over-crowded. However, despite the business and crowded setting, it felt somehow welcoming and it was more than a little adorable.

"I've got a meeting to go to, so I've gotta make this quick," Minhee said speed walking to the bookcase and opening one of the drawers. She pulled out a packet of paper and scribbled something on the last page. She crossed the room again to where Ria stood and handed her the packet. "Bring it back as soon as you can, please." She grabbed a coat and purse off one of the chairs and slipped them on walking toward the door. Ria kindly stepped out along with Minhee, still looking at the packet in her hands. She couldn't help but wonder if this was really happening.

Minhee locked the door and galloped down the steps off the porch. "You'd better get home, Ria. Your brother might be worrying about you," she shouted over her shoulder as she began to walk away. Oh ya, Jaejoong. But wait, how did she know?


A/N: Gahh!!!!! I'm such a terrible author T^T I'm so sorry I haven't updated in literally forever.... But finally, here's an update!!! I  hope you liked the teaser for Ria!!! And sorry for the random Jay Walker spazz in the middle... I promise, it was not on purpose, but the second I wrote the word I realized what it meant and I couldn't help myself from commenting XD

HinataSnow, PLEASE tell me if I portrayed your character right!!! As you know, I've already chosen my other two characters, so expect the next maid to be revealed soon!!! =D

Until then,

<3 Chelly