46 /// TRYING HARD

A very small degree of HOPE is sufficient to cause the birth of LOVE.
Shaking your head out of the flashbacks, "Come on, Ghun-shi. You don't have to impressed me with your sweet words," you said, pretending to sound unimpress.
 
"You know that I don't lie to you. Whatever I said is the truth, TaeAh-shi," he replied confidently.
 
"Trust me," he continued.
 
"Oh please, Ghun-shi, why me?" you said as you rolled your eyes as you.
 
After months and months of playing, chasing and talking to each other, it finally crossed your mind, to find out the truth behind his actions towards you.
 
Not wanting to end up as per your previous relationship, was the reason that you had to do what you did towards him.
 
"I'm not the prettiest or the smartest. There are like millions of girls out there, those who are even more outstanding that I am. There are modelques girls in our university whom you can easily fall for. Why me?" you continued.
 
"I lack in many aspects of beauty. Face the facts, Ghun-shi. Truth to be said, I'm just your average girl-next-door. I'm a nobody," you added.
 
"No, no, TaeAh-shi. Don't say that," he replied.
 
"You are a somebody in my life. You're special to me," he continued. 
 
"My heart races like wildfire whenever I see you or hear your voice," he paused, "Yes, what you've just said is somewhat true too. You are an average-looking girl. But you didn't need the good looks. You are beautiful as you are. And, you're that one girl who stole my breath away," he added cheekily.
 
- - -
 
Your heart sank, "You can't be falling for his sweet words, can't you?" a voice in your head said.
 
"Come on, TaeAh-shi. He's not like Dongwoo. He's proven himself to you, time and time again. No matter how hard you try to reject him, he'll never give up," another voice interrupted.
 
"Don't listen to her, TaeAh-shi," the first voice said.
 
"He's persistant, TaeAh-shi. Give him this chance to make it better for you," the other voice said.
 
"Arrggghhh," you uttered softly.
 
"Stop it, will you, both of you?" you thought and you sternly spoke in your thoughts.
 
You scratched your head for an idea on how to reply him when suddenly, an idea strikes you.
 
- - -
 
You cleared your throat briefly, "Woah, that's deep, Ghun-shi," you replied, "But... I don't buy it. Try harder, ok, Son Hyunseok?" you continued jokingly.
 
"TaeAh-shi, please, I miss you and I love you," he said, sounding like he was pleading.
 
You could imagine him pouting to the phone in reaction to your reply.
 
"I know, I know. You've told me that so many times," you replied.
 
"Then, TaeAh-shi, why are you doing this to me?" he asked.
 
You chuckled, "Well... Because I love playing mind games with you," you replied sarcastically.
 
"And... Besides, it's fun, don't you know that," you continued as you laughed slightly.
 
It was fun teasing him.
 
"TaeAh-shi, can I ask you something?" he asked, out of the sudden.
 
"What is it, Ghun-shi?" you replied.
 
"Does that mean that you love me too?" he asked.
 
You smacked your forehead lightly, "Aish...," you thought.
 
"Errr... What do you think?" you replied, trying to avoid answering him.
 
"I need answers, TaeAh-shi," he said.
 
"Then, shall I hang up now?" you asked jokingly.
 
"If you do, I'll just have to go over to your house and kiss your full, lush, warm lips for all the answers to flow out," he replied, cheekily.
 
You pulled away from your phone and stared at it.
 
"He's trying to blackmail me?" you thought, "You must be kidding me," you continued as you pulled the phone back onto your ears.
 
"No way, am I going to allow you to do that to me," you replied, sternly.
 
"Then, in what way do I see you or even talk to you, if you hang up on me?" he asked.
 
"I know that if you hang up on me now, no matter how many times I'll call you, you won't even pick any of them up," he continued.
 
"So if I lose you now, I might have to just come and see you personally," he added, sounding slightly cheeky.
 
You laughed.
 
"It won't be that easy too, you know. I'll go somewhere. Somewher that you won't be able to find me," you teased.
 
"I will wait for you till you come back, no matter rain or shine, day or night. I'll wait for you to come back from wherever you went to. I'll wait for you in front of your house," he replied.
 
You chuckled, "That's a deal then," you said.
 
"Huh?" he said, confused.
 
"Wait for me then. So, goodbye for now, Ghun-shi," you replied as you hung up the call.
 
- - -
 
"TaeAh-shi," you heard a familiar voice calling for you from behind you.
 
You were slightly startled and you nearly dropped the book that you were holding in your hands.
 
You quickly placed the book back on the shelves.
 
You gasped, "Please don't tell me that Ghun managed to find me here," you said to yourself as you slowly turned your head around.
 
There was a sense of relieve when you saw a familiar face. Not Ghun's, of course.
 
"Haewon-shi, what are you doing here?" you asked.
 
"I was bored at home. You?" he replied.
 
"Same here too," you answered.
 
"Where's Ghun-shi?" he asked.
 
You scratched your head, "I've no idea actually. He doesn't know that I'm here," you replied as you walked towards the exit of the bookstore.
 
"And, I intend to keep it that way for the entire day," you continued.
 
He walked beside you as both of you exited and asked, "What happened? Didn't the both of you had a fight?"
 
You chuckled, "We are always at world's end," you joked.
 
"Huh?" he said, confused.
 
"I'm just kidding, Haewon-shi. I just need some alone time actually. I've been spending so much time with him that I didn't have time for myself for the past week," you explained.
 
"Oh yes, please promise me that you won't tell him my whereabouts today," you continued, slightly pleading.
 
"Oh, ok then. Err... Am I bothering you then? Cause you said that you need some alone time," he said as he took a step away from you.
 
"I can go and leave you alone while I prep myself for my date with Yoora tomorrow," he continued.
 
"Don't worry. You're not bothering me, Haewon-shi. And, speaking of Yoora, I've got to talk to you about your date with her," you replied.
 
"Let's talk about it over some drinks and cakes, shall we?" you continued as you pointed towards a nearby cafe.
 
"It looks like there's going to be a downpour soon, judging by the colour of the clouds in the sky," you added as you looked up to the sky, tiny droplets of water dropped on your face.
 
- - -
 
"It wasn't mine to keep in the first place, Haewon-shi. I hope you understand," you said.
 
You have just finished narrating to him about what happened between you and Yoora earlier this morning.
 
At the start, he seemed surprised and had a disappointed look on his face upon hearing that you had given the dress that he had bought for you to Yoora.
 
"But, it was for you, TaeAh-shi," he said, very much disappoint with your actions.
 
"Please, Haewon-shi. Hear me out. Let me explain," you said, hoping that he'll calm down.
 
You went on to explain to him, why you did what you had done.
 
"But, look here, TaeAh-shi. You were the one who went shopping with my mom for it and she chose it specifically for you. How am I going to explain it to my mom if she sees Yoora wearing the dress that was meant for you?" he said as he took a sip of his drink.
 
"If that happens, I'll go and meet her personally. I explain my reasons for doing so," you said, reassuring him.
 
"Haewon-shi, Yoora-shi deserves the dress more than me. I hope you undestand where I'm coming from," you continued.
 
Unwilling to give up, you assured him that it was for the best between both him and Yoora.
 
He was looking slightly uptight initially but however, you managed to calm him down by constantly assuring him that everything will be all right.
 
"Trust me, Haewon-shi. I know what I'm doing," you said as you looked into his eyes and placed a hand over his.
 
"TaeAh-shi, I'm glad that you're still my friend despite all that had happened between us," he replied.
 
"Isn't that what friends are for?" you said with a smile on your face.