the name Kris

waiting for an angel

 

6 years later

A guy was out from his car with a piece of paper in his hand, the same address. He took  a look at the playground next to the kindergarten, it was full of kids playing in it. He walked in to the yard when he saw a group of boys were gathering at the corner of the playground, he saw a boy was pushing his friend to the ground. The other boys didn’t help him, instead, they were laughing at him. the boy was walking out of the playground and sat on a bench at the other side of the yard.

The guy saw a cotton candy seller and bought one before he was approaching the boy sat alone on the bench. The guy held the cotton candy to the little boy when he rose his head at the guy. “for you, little boy.” The guy smiled at him. “thank you, ahjeossi, but my mom didn’t allow me to accept any gift from person I don’t know” he was facing the ground when refused the cotton candy. The guy sat next to him. “Okay then, my name is Wu Yi Fan, but, maybe you just can call me ahjeossi. You’ve known my name, so you can accept this cotton candy right?”. The guy smiled at him. the little boy took the cotton candy, “thank you, ahjeossi.”. The guy swept the boy’s hair gently. “you want some?” the little boy handed out the cotton candy to the guy. The guy smiled that the boy offered him the cotton candy he had gave to him, “may I?” he smiled. “yes, of course, we can eat this together while waiting for my mom to pick me up.”. the guy pulled a bit from the cotton candy and ate it with the little boy. “what’s your name, little boy?” the guy asked him. “Kris. em, but, you can call me baekhyun if you want,ahjeossi. my friends said Kris is not even a name.”.

The guy was startled to hear the little boy’s name, could it be that easy to find a person in this kindergarten. “no. no. I will call you Kris, it’s a good name for a good boy like you…” the guy smiled at him. “yes, my mom told me so, she said that a person named Kris was a kind guy, but, he was an angel, she gave the name to me  so I can be a kind guy too when I grew older later.” The guy was stunned. “ahjeossi, who are you looking for here?” the little boy asked the guy. “em, no, I’m just passing by.” The guy smiled at him. the little boy was eating the cotton candy when the guy asked him, “kris, is your mom alright?”. The little boy was confused to hear his question, “yup” he ate the cotton candy again. “is she doing okay?”, “yup” the little boy paused, “she will be here soon.”. The guy suddenly felt his heart was beating faster, “how about your father?” he was trembling to say the word father. “he’s alright.” The little boy answered shortly. He was shocked to hear the little boy’s answer, pain was crushing his beating heart, his chest ached, “what does your father look like?” he asked the boy. “he was tall, handsome, kind, and loved my mom.” His heart was ached more to hear his sentence, who is she married with?   Why she didn’t wait for her? Will she be the same?  Questions were filling his mind. “do you love him?” the guy asked. “yes, I always prayed to God to let him met my mom and I, so she won’t be sad anymore, but-“ the little boy was facing the ground, “he never came, I never met him”. In a second, the pain inside him was vanished and left the love he found to the little boy. “how can you love your dad if you never met him?”, “because he loved us, he loved my mom and I” the guy hugged him.

“ahjeossi, thank you for the cotton candy.” He smiled at the guy. “where do you live, I think I can drive you home if your mom hasn’t came yet.”. “emm” he hesitated before stood up. “I think I should wait at the kindergarten, maybe my mom is already there, thank you ahjeossi for accompanying me”, the little boy bowed at him before ran to the kindergarten.

The guy was walking far behind the little boy to the kindergarten, he stopped behind a shading tree next to the kindergarten and watched the little boy was leaving with a woman holding his hand, still the same beautiful. She seemed to be happy, so did the little boy when he showed her his cotton candy to her right before they got into the car. It  was a relief for him to know that she was happy now, but, would he made things better when he came to her now. He got into his car and drove right behind her car.

The car was turned at an apartment building he knew. He decided to went back to the apartment later, he need to make sure that he wouldn’t ruin her life.

***

He drove his car into the apartment building. He asked the receptionist to meet Park Hyun Jae before she made a call and told him that he could meet Park Hyun Jae at the 7th floor, unit 754.

He was standing in front of a door numbered 754, he was still not sure that she was happy with his visit, but, he couldn’t hold his pain to stay away from her any longer. He rang the bell before the door was opened, a woman was coming out of the door, startled. “hyunjaeya?” he had called the name for times inside his heart, and now, he could say it out loud. “it’s me, kris.”. He could see her confused look at him.

“sorry, but my husband already passed away years ago, you can tell me what you are about here without acting like my husband, sir.”

“hyunjaeya, it’s really me, Kris. I’m not acting, see” he pulled her hand to touch his face before she pulled it back in a second.

“sir, please, you can go.” She said shortly before her son approaching. She turned her head to her son and hugged him “kris, what’s wrong?”, he wiped his own heavy eyes that had just opened after a short sleep, “mum, who is coming?” he asked. The guy was trying to take a look at the little boy he was sure he had met yesterday. “oh, the tax service you don’t know, he will leave soon, so, back to your sleep…”she smiled while picking him up to her. She walked away when the little boy heavy eyes met his eyes from behind her back. “ahjeossi….” He called him. His mum was stunned to hear him called the guy ahjeossi. “Kris, do you know him?” she asked him while he was struggling to out of her arm and ran to the guy, “ahjeossi, why are you here?” he asked the guy excitingly. “Kris, do you forget what mum had told you about talking to a stranger?” she was approaching them  when the guy swept her son’s hair lightly, “go back to your mum before she is angry at you.” the guy smiled at him. “mum, she is the ahjeossi that gave me the cotton candy yesterday.” He was mumbling to his sentence. “okay then, go back to your room now, it’s already late at night now, God doesn’t like a kid that sleep late, remember to pray before you sleep.” She kissed his forehead before he walked to his room.

“Hyunjaeya, this is me kris, and, is he our son?” he asked her right before she stood in front of him.

“seems like you’ve met him yesterday.” she said shortly. “why you come back after 6 years I’ve been living in pain, every time I realized that you won’t ever come back again.”.

“sorry, too many things I want to tell you” he was about to hug her when she refused him.

He pulled his self back and looked into her eyes, painful but lovely. She move closer to him before she slapped him right on the face. “you’d better not come here again, don’t meet him again” she was about to close the door when he talked behind  the door “I’ll wait until you can accept me again, hyunjae, no matter how long it will take.”

***