Prologue

Petals and Blood

 

I have never imagined it to be like this. Bullets flying, bodies hitting the ground. This was supposed to be a sure hit. Our days of scouting, researching and waiting for the right moment were put to waste. Only the organization had an idea about this.

 

Someone must have leaked the plan.

 

Yes, that must be it.

 

But as much as I tried to rack my mind, I can't figure out who could have betrayed me like that. They were my family.

 

I took cover in the nearest post I could crawl into without getting hit by a bullet. I checked a gun on the ground and tried not to see a pair of eyes that were dead still. The gun was still loaded and I started to shoot at whoever it was shooting at me. I hit him; I knew. I heard him scream as he hit the ground. I ran with my gun pointed at him. He begged for mercy when he saw me approach and his pleads stopped when I shot him on the head. I shot him again in the heart for good measure.

 

Another round of bullets swooped near me, and I managed to dodge every one of them. I ran to the nearest cover I could find. The bullets stopped raining for awhile, and that's when I heard her angelic voice. I tried to look for the source.

 

I must be dreaming, it can't be possibly be her.

 

Then I saw her, her copper-colored hair flying in the wind as she runs towards me. And those eyes and pair of lips I loved about her. The sight of her made my pulse race.

 

What in the hell is she doing here?

 

Another round of bullets came from nowhere. I ran towards her, to shield her from any bullets that might kill her. I don't care whatever might happen to me. I hugged her when she came close to me, her scent relaxing me. I tried to pull her away from the firing range.

 

Then I heard this shot and felt the gush of a warm liquid on my hands. I raised my hands and saw blood and it became hard for me to breathe.

 

There were so many ways I’ve imagined how my story will end…

 

…but never like this.