Yongguk: Chapter 8

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yongguk's phone suddenly rings, piercing the predictable symphony of noise in the air. He searches his pockets for his cellphone before he pulls it out, but when he sees the caller ID, he gives you a brief glance before picking up the call.

"Himchan," he says. "Hey. What's up?"

You watch his face change from apprehension to annoyance. He sharply replies to the voice on the other end by saying, "Of course I'm at the city. Am I with ... ? Yes. I'm with her. Is that bad?"

You in a breath. By the tone of Yongguk's voice, you can tell that your presence isn't liked by Himchan, and you don't know why. He had seemed kind to you enough, treating you with cordial indifference, not bothering to know you like Yongguk had done. So why has Himchan, Yongguk's apparent best friend, called and successfully gotten on his friend's nerves?

"Himchan, I'm only - " Yongguk pauses as he stares at the ground in frustration. "No. Look. It's not that, I ... " he glances at you again before lowering his tone and muttering, " ... no. I will. I swear I will. I just ... " He shakes his head, gripping his phone tightly. "Don't come here, alright? It's light. Why are you even looking for me in the first place?" Yongguk sighs miserably before he continues, "I know. I know that. So please don't ... look, I gotta go. I can't keep her waiting. Yeah, I will, just ... I will. I swear, okay? Just ... goodnight, Himchan," he murmurs, and with that he hangs up and numbly looks at his phone as the screen flashes, signaling the end of the call.

You stare at him for a few seconds, trying to decide whether you have the right to say anything. After observing his barely contained irritation, you gently speak, "You alright?"

"Actually, no," he admits outrightly, surprising you with his blunt answer. His face softens, and he asks, "Can we ... take a walk? For a bit?"

You search his eyes for answers, quietly begging him to tell you what had just gone on, but his expression rejects your pleas. You hadn't realized it before, but he looks sad. His happiness, his overflowing exuberance, had always shielded his dark, lonely eyes. You wish you had known sooner. It seems that even people who look content on the outside are dealing with problems, too.

You start to take a step forward, and he matches your pace as he walks alongside you. You watch how your feet step on the ground, disturbing the thin layer of dew that coats the asphalt, scattering the red and yellow lights reflected on the fragile ripples. People brush by you, unaware of the tense atmosphere surrounding you and Yongguk. You know he's planning to say something - you can feel him searching for the words, sense how he straightens his shoulders in preparation - but he takes his time prepping himself and continues to walk aimlessly, leading you around the city square, past restaurants, through alleys and b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter