The Teriyaki Staring Contest

Onew Discovers Teriyaki Chicken
The number of customers at the shop on the third day went up drastically.
 
Or rather, the population of teenage girls who bought chicken at Ikki's teriyaki shop went up drastically.
 
Onew was very confused.
 
Ikki had been silent, almost ignoring him, the entire time. He had been looking forward to working with her, actually. He had even gotten up about a half-hour earlier to get ready and try to sneak past the fanfare in front of the hotel. Taemin had mumbled a sleepy "good luck" as Onew had gone away, but Onew was reasonably sure Taemin was just sleep talking.
 
"Get me hot potatoes," Minho mumbled. Onew was pretty sure that was sleep-talking as well.
 
"Ugh, my hair is so messy today." Key brushed a strand of hair away from his eyes, unconciously fixing it in his sleep. Or maybe he was awake. Onew couldn't tell.
 
Jonghyun kept on snoring.
 
Onew's thoughts wandered off in a random direction, until the thought of chicken suddenly and sharply brought him back into the red-covered teriyaki booth. "I'm sorry," he said to two giggling high schoolders. "Have you decided what to order yet?"
 
"Two chicken teriyaki to go, please."
 
When Onew relayed the order, Ikki took it without looking at him and disappeared in the back to find more supplies. Was she in a bad mood? Had something happened? Onew began to worry.
 
"Hey,"
 
"Yes?" Onew turned.
 
One of the two girls looked at the other and began to giggle. "Well~..." Said the giggling one, fiddling with her chopsticks in a way that made Onew cross his fingers and pray that they wouldn't break, "We were just wondering, you know. Are you from around here?"
 
"He's not allowed to answer that, sorry." Ikki returned with two bags of chicken teriyaki. Her smile was unnaturally bright, and her voice was unnaturally professional. She handed the bags over, and the girls had no choice but to leave, looking slightly dejected.
 
Once they left, Onew grabbed Ikki's arm before she could dissapear again. "Hey, are you alright?"
 
Her eyes met his for the first time, revealing a startled, almost panicked look. "What do you mean? Of course I'm alright!"
 
She tried to pull away, but he just pulled her a little closer, staring intently into her eyes. There were no customers at the time anyway, so he might as well ask. "Are you feeling sick? You've been looking down all morning. Maybe all these customers have worn you out. Shouldn't you take a break?"
 
Her face flushed, and Ikki looked away. For a few awkward moments, all she did was to fix her eyes on a spot on the wall and ignore him.
 
What Onew didn't know was that he was actually quite good-looking, especially close up. The large increase in female customers was also due to him, thanks to some very nice rumors spread by a certain trio of university students. However, Onew had a certain degree of naivete when it came to matters like these. In all of his idol life, he had honestly never been confessed to seriously, and the stage had always been between him and any SHINee fan. And with his mind all filled with music and chicken all the time, he seriously lacked some of the self-awareness that even Ikki possessed.
 
And she was a country girl who had grown up on a farm with two grandparents and chicken.
 
Right then and there Ikki decided firmly against having any feelings for this naive, cluless person in front of her. It would be impossible.
 
"Ikki, you're shaking."
 
She glared at him with a shopkeeper's secret weapon, the 100%-You-Have-Gone-Too-Far death glare. This finally got him to let go of her arm and flinch backward.
 
I can't help it if looking at you makes my chest all fluttery! She wanted to yell at him, her thoughts going back to her native Kansai dialect. And that I get nervous around you, even if you're doing nothing, and that I want to smile like an idiot when I think of you! And I can't help it if you shocked me so much back there that I started shaking. I'm not around boys that much! Aaaah!
 
This was too much. She almost told him so until a customer rang in, ducking underneath the red cloth and making one of the chimes jingle. Onew's eyes were still fixed on hers, still wanting an answer.
 
"I'll deal with you later," she said through gritted teeth, and then turned to deal with the new customer.
 
.
 
Onew stayed where he was for a moment, trying to calm his pounding heart. He had not expected Ikki's cute, awkward blushing face to transform into a frightening glare so quickly. And now, even before she had completed her 180 degree turn, her smile was back and her professional attitude was as impeccable as ever. How could she do that?
 
He watched her for a moment longer, certain that something was wrong. Her actions were as practiced and graceful as always, but she simply would not look at him. Had he frightened her?
 
Onew's face drained. Oh no, he had frightened her, hadn't he?
 
I have to talk to her again...I have to apologize!
 
.
 
Unfortunately, the morning rush hour had just started and the shop was filled with customers for the remainder of his time. Onew kept on glancing anxiously at Ikki, but she somehow managed to avoid him for the entire time as well. How she managed to avoid him in a shop less than ten square feet big, Onew would never understand. But somehow she did.
 
When it was time for him to leave, he looked for her one last time. She was in the back kitchen, busily preparing the next few orders. He sighed.
 
"I'm going, Ikki. Thank you for having me!"
 
She turned and pointed at him, but her words were lost over the chatter of the customers. Wondering if she had been scolding him, Onew ducked out of the shop feeling guilty and conflicted.
 
He was halfway down the street before he heard her calling after him. "Wait! Wait, you idiot! Onew! Didn't I tell you to wait a minute?!?"
 
Onew stopped and turned around. Ikki caught up within seconds, but had to catch her breath before she could speak.
 
"Here," she something at him, and her words came out hurried and short. A paper bag with freshly marked seal on it. "This is for you. Thank you for...the work you've done. We had a lot off customers today."
 
Confused, Onew took the bag from her, looked inside, and then was instantly reduced to a pile of combusted happiness.
 
FRIED CHICKEN!!!
 
"Ikki!" He hugged her without thinking, practically lifting her off of the ground and spinning her around in a circle. He could hardly think for the excitement. To tell the truth, Onew hadn't eaten any chicken since the whole misunderstanding about demons and priests.
 
She was completely taken by surprise, but then she laughed. "You're welcome."
 
He almost hugged her again, just for that, but he was really running late. Instead, Onew settled for brushing her hair away from her eyes and completely messing up her hair. "I'll pay you back later, I promise." He ran off, feeling like one of those characters who floated on clouds with tears streaming down their faces in rivulets of blue. Ikki watched him go, laughing so hard that the entire street looked at her.
 
Oh , she thought to the sky. He's just too cute...