Desperation Finances

We are Only Friends

 

Sorry that I haven’t updated in a while.  I felt unmotivated and I was going through some serious writer’s block.  Like some serious .  But I am now back on track with some new ideas!!!!!!  So here we go go go!!!!

***

Five months with Jay went by really fast. (A/N- Tiffany started school in June, but in Korea school starts in March)  I was happy and he was actually a lot shyer than I expected, but it was cute.  Thank God, he didn’t push , barely even mentioned it.  Taecyeon has some radar when it comes to me.  He knew exactly when Jay and I made out, how we made out, and where.  It was creepy as .  So, wasn’t really in the question right now. 

 

Taecyeon and I were still best friends, but he refrained himself from kissing me on the cheek and forehead, as a way of showing his respect to Jay.  I would still eat dinner a lot of his place with his family and it would more or less be the same.  Hyeyoung-eomma and Sean-appa were heart broken when they heard that I had another boyfriend that wasn’t Taec. 

 

One late November day, Jay and I went to the movies.  We saw Skyfall, the new James Bond movie.  It was fun and a really good film. 

 

“That was soooo good,” I smiled as I put on my jacket and we walked out of the movie theater.

 

“Yeah,” said Jay as he took my hand into his.  We began walking down the street, I saw Taeyeon walking down the street and my mouth parted slightly. 

 

She was wearing a black tight dress under a beige trench coat.  She didn’t look eighteen.  Her face was caked with make up, but she looked so pretty.  She looked like she was in her twenties.  But the most surprising thing was that she had an older man, probably in his thirties by her side.  And it didn’t look like her brother.

 

Taeyeon turned around and smiled at him.  She whispered something in his ear and in return, the man paid her a large wad of cash.  She smiled at him seductively, stuffed the money in her bag, and walked away. 

 

“We shouldn’t be staring,” said Jay as he began to pull me away from staring.

 

“W-what was that?”  I asked out loud, not expecting an answer.

 

“None of our business,” insisted Jay, even he seemed a bit worried.  Most off, it sounded like he was hiding something. 

 

I pulled him to a stop.  “What are you not telling me about my best friend?”  I asked impatiently.    

 

“Tiffany,” Jay said as sighed.  “It’s none of our business.  It’s only Taeyeon’s.”

 

I frowned at him for being right.  That didn’t help my curiosity though.

 

Later that night I had dinner with Taecyeon’s family.  They cooked beautifully and after dinner, Taecyeon and I watched TV as Jungah, Jihoon, and Bom talked with Hyeyoung and Sean.

 

“I have a question,” I stated as we watched Star King. 

 

“Do share,” Taecyeon said as he paid close attention to a comedian dancing to a couple of girl group’s dances.

 

“You know the gossip around school,” I went on.  “What’s there on Taeyeon?”

 

Taecyeon turned to me and raised an eyebrow.  “Kim Taeyeon?  Your best girl friend?”

 

I nodded as if it were obvious.

 

“There’s stuff here and there,” Taecyeon shrugged, trying to be all nonchalant.

 

“Proceed,” I insisted. 

 

 “For a while,” Taecyeon started as he adjusted his seating to face me on the couch.  “There were some rumors that Taeyeon…” He sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck.  “was an .”

 

“An ?”  I asked as I raised my eyebrows. 

 

“Yeah.  Apparently she goes on dates with older men and in return they pay her.  A lot of girls called her a lot of nasty names.”

 

“You know if it’s true?”  I asked as I looked at him. 

 

“Personally,” Taecyeon murmured.  “I don’t care.  And I don’t mean it in the rude way, but it’s Taeyeon’s decision.  Because she’s a nice girl, and smart.  Smart enough not to sleep with me even when I offered.”

 

I froze.  “You asked her to sleep with you?”  I whispered angrily. 

 

“Yeah,” Taec replied, a little surprised by my quiet outburst.  “She’s kind of hot.”

 

I rolled my eyes.  “You have no shame,” I scoffed. 

 

Taeyeon was so much better than that.  She didn’t have to sell herself out for money.  It was wrong, she was so much better than that.

 

The next day at school, before class started, I sat in my seat.  Taeyeon sat next to me and smiled, “Morning,” like she did every other morning. 

 

“I saw you yesterday afternoon,” I said bluntly.  I didn’t know if being blunt was a bad or good quality. 

 

“Ok…?”  Taeyeon answered with a shrug.  “What of it?”

 

I leaned in towards her and said honestly, “I know what you do outside of school, Taeyeon.  And I feel like that each time you get one of those calls and disappear, you disappear off with those guys.  You’re a lot better than that Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon frowned at me.  She then let out a loud scoff and said, “So you heard?  And saw?”  She turned around and shrugged, “I knew you wouldn’t understand.”

 

“Then try and help me understand,” I insisted.  “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

 

“Look,” Taeyeon said coldly.  “It isn’t as simple or as black and white as you think.  I do things for a reason-“

 

“Ok class,” said the teacher.  “Notebooks out.”

 

Taeyeon ruffled her hair and went back to work.  I really wished that went better than it did. 

 

At lunch I tried to talk to her again, but she wasn’t there.  She disappeared after last period.  It pissed me off that she was avoiding me. 

 

“Where’s Taeyeon?”  Wooyoung asked as he came up from behind. 

 

“I don’t know,” I shrugged, trying to indifferent. 

 

“Did you two have a fight or something?”  Junho asked. 

 

I shrugged and went back to eating my food.  Jay and Taec sighed, knowing the exact reason why we got into that fight. 

 

“Should’ve kept your mouth shut,” Taecyeon muttered as he sat next to me. 

 

“Well no one asked you,” I frowned at him. 

 

“Sass Master Hwang alert,” Taec said defensively as he put his hands up.  “Calm down, Fany,” said

 

I groaned.  This was just too annoying for me. 

 

After school, I saw Taeyeon at the end of the block, tapping her foot impatiently as she was on the phone.  “When?... three hours mean two hundred dollars…. No, there are no exceptions… Ok, No…”

 

“Hey baby,” smiled Jay as he kissed me.  He noticed that I didn’t kiss back and saw that I was staring at Taeyeon.  “Babe, it’s not your business.”

 

“I’ve seen it go bad,” I frowned.  “It’s not pretty and Taeyeon deserves better.  And im going to try and make that clear to her.”

 

Jay rolled his eyes and asked in English, “There’s no stopping you, is there?” 

 

I shook my head. 

 

“I’ll talk to you later then,” smiled Jay as he kissed my lips quickly. 

 

“See ya, Jay,” I said as I walked away.  As I began following Taeyeon, Wooyoung and Taecyeon followed me. 

 

“What do you want?”  I asked them harshly. 

 

“Taec filled me in,” said Wooyoung.  “And I think you’re right.”

 

“Oh,” I smirked.  “Nice to hear it… and why are you here?”  I asked Taecyeon as I crossed my arms. 

 

“Someone has to take you home after this,” Taecyeon shrugged. 

 

I scoffed and said, “Still with that overprotective oppa .”

 

We followed Taeyeon into Myungdong where she lived, and we ended up by the Myungdong hospital.  Taeyeon scurried to the open door and we followed. 

 

“Are you done following me yet?”  Taeyeon asked as she turned around with her arms crossed.    

 

We froze as we stared at her.  We couldn’t find the words to say no, so we just stood their awkwardly. 

 

“I’m not working today,” growled Taeyeon.  “Do you want to see why I work?”

 

Taeyeon motioned for us to follow her.  She signed in and we went upstairs to a room.  We followed her to a room and inside Taeyeon’s mom was reading a piece of paper. 

 

Taeyeon’s mom and Taeyeon’s oppa looked outside.  They smiled to us.

 

Taeyeon opened the door and bowed, “Hi mom.  Oppa, Mom, these are my friends from school: Wooyoung-sunbae, Taecyeon-sunbae, and Tiffany.”

 

Taeyeon’s mom smiled, “It’s nice to meet all of you.”

 

“And this is my older brother, Choi Seunghyun,” Taeyeon went on as her older brother stood up.  He was the same height as Wooyoung, and had piercing black eyes.  He was very good looking. 

 

“Hello,” bowed Seunghyun. 

 

“So why did my daughter bring you three here to look at her pitiful mother?”  Taeyeon’s mom asked cutely. 

 

“Mom,” Seunghyun sighed. 

 

“I heard about the budget increase,” sighed Taeyeon as she took the paper from her mother.  Her eyes widened and she rolled her eyes.  “I hate this hospital.”

 

“It’s not their fault, Taeyeon,” said her mother as she patted her shoulder.  “It’s this disease.”  She turned to her oppa and said, “Discussion outside.”

 

Seunghyun got up and we all walked outside.  “Where in God’s name are we going to get 75,000 dollars, Oppa?!” 

 

“I don’t know, Taeyeon,” sighed Seunghyun as he leaned against the wall. 

 

My eyes’ widened as I heard the number.  That was a lot of dough. Taeyeon didn’t even have a father to help support the family.  It was just her and her brother. 

 

“We’re going to keep working,” said Seunghyun.  “I’ve got a couple more races this week and you keep working too-“

 

“And you approve of what your little sister does to get the money?”  Wooyoung asked with an edge of over protectiveness, which I found kind of cute.

 

“She works in vintage store, right?”  Seunghyun asked as he looked down at Taeyeon.  Even if had only been friends with her for five months, I knew for a fact that Taeyeon couldn’t lie. 

 

“I… got fired from it six months ago,” Taeyeon said slowly as she rubbed the back of her neck. 

 

“What?!”  Seunghyun asked angrily.  “H-how have you been making money for the last six months!”

 

“I… work as…” Taeyeon glared at Wooyoung, Taecyeon, and me during her pause.  She then looked at her brother, ashamed of herself, and said, “an .”

 

Seunghyun’s mouth dropped and his eyes widened in horror.  He grabbed her by the shoulders and began shaking her.  “Are you insane?!  You’ve been selling yourself to make money?  What the hell makes you think that is a smart idea?”

 

“I get a lot of money out of it!”  Taeyeon shouted back.  “And don’t you dare pretend like you haven’t sold yourself out!”

 

“Taeyeon, we’re talking about your body here,” said Wooyoung. 

 

Seunghyun frowned at Wooyoung.  “And who are you?”

 

“Jang Wooyoung,” said Wooyoung coolly.  “Her sunbae and friend.”

 

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, having a feeling that there was more to this than what he had just said.  “You cant do this anymore,” demanded Seunghyun. 

 

“I haven’t had with any of them,” frowned Taeyeon.  “I know what you’re getting at and Oppa, I haven’t had with any of them.  I don’t sell myself like that.”

 

“Look, you’ve got to stop this,” insisted Seunghyun.  “We’ll get the money some other way.”

 

“And how’s that-“

 

Seunghyun’s phone began to ring.  He picked it up and it said, Bom, on the screen.  My eyes widened, but I decided to keep my mouth shut.  “Yeah, Babe?... Let me call you back… Sounds good… Ok… Love you too, Babe.”

 

Babe?  Bom?  Holy , he’s dating my sister.  “Was that Park Bom?”  I asked slowly. 

 

Seunghyun frowned, “Yeah?  What of it?”

 

I turned to Taeyeon and said, “Our older siblings are dating, Taeyeon.  Look at that.”

 

Taecyeon and Wooyoung began to laugh lowly. 

 

“You’re Bom’s little sister?”  Seunghyun asked, astounded.  I nodded with a smile.  “Too many ing surprises today.  I’m going back inside.  It was nice meeting all of you.”

 

Taeyeon turned to us and said, “Look, thank you for your concern.  But I have to go be with my mom.”

 

I nodded and hugged her.  Surprisingly, she hugged back.  “Thanks, Fany.”  Taeyeon smiled to Taecyeon and Wooyoung as she turned the door knob. 

 

“Wait, Taeyeon-ah,” said Wooyoung as he took her hand. 

 

“Our cue to go,” whispered Taecyeon as he began pushing me away.

 

“But I want to watch,” I pouted. 

 

“Friends don’t let other friends ,” smirked Taecyeon as he pushed me around the corner.  He then let me watch from the side. 

 

“I’m pretty sure that’s not the saying,” I chuckled. 

 

“Close enough.”

 

I saw Taeyeon turn around and look at Wooyoung as he pulled her back.  “Please don’t give me this bull about how I need to stop being an , because I wont quit until I find a high paying job.  I don’t want to do it, but my mom is dying from some rare disease and I need the money.  So I’ll do anything at this rate.  I don’t expect you to understand this need for money because I now you have well paying parents”

 

“My mom’s assistant quit,” Wooyoung interjected shortly as he dropped his hand from hers.  “She had to move to Busan to be with her husband.  So she has an extra spot.  He works as the CEO of Glamour Korea.  It pays pretty well and she only needs some in the afternoon because she was originally going to get me to do it.  Mondays through Fridays, four to eight.  350 dollars a week.  It might not be the same as escorting, but it does pay pretty well.  And you seem to adapt well to things.  Taeyeon, you’re so much better than escorting.  You’re beautiful, smart, and kind-“

 

Taeyeon grabbed Wooyoung’s face- I never felt so proud of her- and she pressed her lips against his.

 

“That’s how you do it, Taeyeon,” I squealed quietly.  Taecyeon rolled his eyes and chuckled at me. 

 

She quickly pulled back and retracted her hands back from his face and looked embarrassed at the ground.  “I-I’m sorry about that.  I wasn’t thinking-“

 

This time, Wooyoung took Taeyeon’s face into his hands.  He pressed his lips to hers.  I nearly shrieked, but Taecyeon put his hand over my mouth at the perfect time to suppress it.  “Shut it, Tiffany,” hissed Taecyeon. Taeyeon held onto the sides of Wooyoung’s shirt and got up on her tip toes to meet him halfway.  They kissed like that for another full minute before parting.

 

“I-I’ll text you later,” Wooyoung panted as he pulled out his phone.  “About scheduling a time to meet my mom. 

 

“Sounds good,” Taeyeon said as she looked down at her feet.  Wooyoung passed her his phone.  She quickly typed in her phone number.  He smiled at her and then began to walk away.  Taeyeon grabbed him back and kissed his cheek.  “Thank you so much.  I mean it, Sunbae.”

 

Wooyoung nodded, “Anytime, Taeyeon-ah.”

 

Taeyeon then walked back and entered her mom’s room.  I saw Seunghyun glare at her overprotectively.

 

“Hey,” Taecyeon and I both smiled as Wooyoung walked up to us.  He was still bright pink.  His cheeks and ears were a dead give away.   

 

“Shut up,” smiled Wooyoung. 

 

“Don’t you dare play her, Sunbae,” I threatened.  “She’s my best girlfriend.”

 

“I don’t intend to,”  Wooyoung said truthfully as he rubbed the back of his neck.