Chapter 2

My NU’EST Enemy: Sugar and Spice is not Always Nice

Baekho is in all my frikin’ classes so it’s kind of hard not to think of him. Worst of all, we were assigned seats next to each other since the first day he arrived at LJ Academy.

During first period, the Advanced Fruit Desserts class, we listened to a boring speech by Chef Instructor Kim about how we should work hard and be inspired to win the Annual Confectioners’ Contest that will take place a month from now. After the dull speech, and while I was whipping up a raspberry chocolate mousse, I couldn’t help sneaking peeks at Baekho working on placing the delicate slice of lemon on top of his mini lemon tarts. Suddenly, he looked up from his sour concoctions, and he grinned impishly, “Don’t try to copy me now. Lemon tarts are my trademark. Don’t want you watching the secret ingredient I put in! Heheheh or are you watching me?” He smirked at my rapidly blushing tomato face.

Boy, did my blood boil at this jerk! Who does he think he is? Some beautiful idol that everyone loves? Well…. He is pretty popular with the girls….. But, sheesh, I still don’t see why anyone wants to watch him, UGH. I glared at him. “Who said I was watching you? I never said I was watching you! And anyway, your blonde hair and lemon tart are too blinding to look at anyway!” I shot back lamely. Okay, I admit it; I’m really bad at comebacks (Like, really, super-duper, horrible bad at comebacks).

Baekho guffawed in my face and said with mock disappointment, “Too blinding? It must be my amazing-ness blinding you Soonie! That really that you don’t prefer blonde guys. You’re really cute.” He reached over and chucked me under the chin, much to my surprise.

“You know what, you blonde ?” I stammered. “Gawd, you’re so annoying! I’m going to frikin’ murder you at the Annual Confectioners’ Contest! No kidding, Baekho! You’re going down!”

“But my isn’t blonde. You wanna check?” he teased.

That did it. I slammed my chocolate-covered whisk on the counter, leaned over his counter, and flung his mini lemon tarts clean off the counter! I saw in slow motion, as the tarts tumbled and flew in mid-air, until it landed on Instructor Chef Kim’s chef hat with a big “SPLAT”. This is why I ended up in detention.