Chapter 4 - Jonghyun's POV

A Forgotten Promise

Writer's Note: I'd like to thank chocolatefrosty AGAIN for helping me out with this chapter. I LOVE YOU

 Jonghyun's POV.

I couldn't really concentrate on work ever since I bumped into Alice and Dongwoon a few hours ago. They looked so comfortable with each other. Are they close? This made my head spun. I was struggling while I was working, but suddenly Chaerin unnie came over.

“Ya Kim Jonghyunsshi, gwenchana? You don't look good at all. Is something wrong?” she asked tapped my shoulders.

“Ah..aniyo. Just that school has been very stressful this week. Exams are around the corner. I guess that's why.” I chuckled nervously.

“Tell you what, take a break for two weeks. Araseo? You've been working yourself out too much, and it seems that you're juggling on so many things right now. Now put these items back in the box and let me do it.”

I looked at Chaerin noona in disbelief. She took the box away from me and smiled. “Ka.” she said. I bowed to her and said goodbye. “I'll take good care of myself Noona, don't you worry.”

I went back to the workers lounge, changed and headed out with my school bag and my motorcycle helmet. Since I still had a few hours left before sundown, I guess it's the best time to drive around town and get some nice coffee. Caffe Bene was just around corner and I parked my vehicle at the empty spot with mind filled with nothing other than a cup of latte that I’ve been craving for a long time. It was until I noticed a familiar coloured shirt at the corner of the café. I scrunched up my eyes and neared the glass pane to get a better view. My footstep goes to a sudden halt as I recognized that familiar figure as Alice.

My ex-girlfriend, Alice.

The same girl I met earlier on. Only she wasn’t alone. She was accompanied by the mysterious man I stumbled upon earlier, Dongwoon. Behind the thick glass panel, I felt a winching pain at my heart when I saw how close she was to a man. How her pretty little hands wrapped securely around his broad shoulders and how her cherubic face lights up when that man pulled her into an another hug; a gesture she would only do to me years ago.

Memories of Alice and I started playing through my mind like an addictive pop song that never gets old. Sure it happens a long time ago but never once all of that special memory I spent with her is forgotten. Everything is still crystal clear, as if everything just happened yesterday. The time of when she was sad and I cheered her up with her favourite ice cream. The time of when we had our first date and the time when we had our first kiss. Each moment I spent with her gives me the jittery butterflies in my stomach. It felt like a beautiful dream; to have her as my girlfriend since she was quite popular back then in school. She’s beautiful and easily likable by others. Not only that, she have a pure heart and she is willing to help those in need.

She is my definition of perfection and I was truly blessed to have her. Everything was perfect until that tragic day, when I have no other choice but to leave my temporary fantasy. Who could have guessed that my happy ending can be so short-lived? Of that, I didn’t expect it either.

My father called me, wanting me to go to the US to further my studies. It was a haste decision and I have no choice but to oblige to it. I tried to retaliate but my rebellion turns out to be a failed attempt. Since that day, I tried contacting her but to no avail until this very day when I finally saw her. A tear rolled down my cheek as I watch the heart breaking sight in front of me. Right at that moment when I’m here, she was there with someone else. If only I never left, I would probably stay by her side. And probably by then, she wouldn’t be in another man’s arm, just like what is happening right now.