Chapter 3 - Flashback

A Forgotten Promise

 

Writer's Note: I'd like to thank chocolatefrosty for helping me out with this chapter. Half of this chapter was being produced by herself, because I was seriously stucked. Haha. I LOVE YOU! <3 Do visit her profile and read her stories too! She's amazing. 

-

 

Chapter 3

Well it’s nice meeting you, Jonghyun. You guys know each other?” asked Dongwoon, who decided to put down his hand since Jonghyun didn’t even bother to shake hands with him.

We both replied at the same time with a different answer. This is a time where I wished I could have just pause the time and run away. Why isn’t life as easy as that? I look at Dongwoon and he mouthed “I’ll just wait outside the fitting room.” and left. His expression was weird.

-

Jonghyun’s POV.

It was another typical day, where I had school and go for my part-time work at Topshop at the mall nearby. I said goodbye to my mates and rushed out from school as quickly as I could because I only had about 35 minutes before my shift starts. I started my bike, wore my helmet and drove away. Once I’ve reached the mall, I went in the shop and went to the worker’s lounge. I changed and drank some energy drink so that I could stay awake for my shift.

Just as I walked out from the lounge, Hyunsik told me that Dongwoon is here. Dongwoon? Sounds familiar. It was silly for me to question Hyunsik back, asking him who Dongwoon was. But all I know is that I have to stay awake. I got to my station and started to arrange the clothing’s by sizes. A girl then caught my eye. She was browsing through some dresses at the petite section. Hm, maybe I should help, since it’s my job.

 "We have new stocks in store if you would like to take a look. What si- Alice?" I asked. 

Flashbacks suddenly started to run through my head. Those 2 years of our relationship together. I shook my head in disbelief and asked her again.
 
"Alice, what are you doing here?"

"Oh erm.. I came here with-"

"Me. Alice is with me. Nice to meet you. I'm Dongwoon. And you are?" This Dongwoon guy suddenly appeared beside me and raised his right hand to receive a handshake in return from me. 

"Jonghyun." I replied back. Jealousy got into me; I didn’t even bother to shake hands with him.

Well it’s nice meeting you, Jonghyun. You guys know each other?” asked Dongwoon, who decided to put  his hand down.

Alice and I both replied at the same time with a different answer. We both looked at Dongwoon and he mouthed “I’ll just wait outside the fitting room.” and left. His expression was weird; like I cared.

-

“So how have you been Alice?” I asked.

“Good.” She responded. She didn’t even look at me one bit. She was still browsing through the dresses. “What about you? Have you been working here long?” Alice continued.

“Well yea. For about 5 months now, actually. Hey, I know things were ro-” she decided to interrupt me.

“Geumanhae. I don’t want to hear anything. What’s in the past, stays in the past; right? I don’t wish to ever recall anything.. At all. But since you’ve decided to say something about it, I guess I have to say that you’re one reckless person. I’m sorry. I had to say it.” she looked at me with such pain in her eyes.

I started to tremble. “Mian.” Was the only word that escaped from my mouth. Tears started to form in my eyes, but I had to hold it back. My mind and body doesn’t seem to be responding to anything now.

“Guess I should be meeting Dongwoon now. Galkke (I’ll get going). Annyeong, Jjong.” She looked at me with tears in her eyes and walked away.

Jjong. She called me Jjong. After 3 years, I finally heard her calling me Jjong. I wiped the tears that started to fall on my face; breathed in and out and continued on what I had to do again. I hope I’ll bump into her again someday.

-

Alice’s POV.

I walked away from Jonghyun and decided to meet up with Chaerin unnie. She escorted me to the changing room and asked me to try out some outfits she has already chosen. I am totally impressed! After a few rounds of trying out, she decided to transform me. I wore a simple black&blue 3-quarter sleeve raglan tee, with a folded khakis, paired with a high-cut vans shoe. Chaerin unnie decided to curl my hair and then swept my bangs to the right side. She then applied light make-up on my face to make my look much more brighter and sweeter. Once after it was done, I went out from the room and surprised Dongwoon.

“Otteh? How do I look?” I asked Dongwoon as I twirled slowly, laughing.

“Daebak. Noona, you're amazing!” Dongwoon praised and gave a thumbs up to Chaerin. We both thanked her hard work.

“Ani, it's my job to make people smile after they walk out from my store. Keep all those clothes you've tried on just now. You don't have to pay for it.” said Chaerin. “Now that you look amazing, why don't we make a mini photoshoot with you and Dongwoon for our upcoming magazine?”

Could this day get any better?

-

Once the photo-shoot was done, we decided to hang out at Caffe Bene. Dongwoon ordered my favourite drink, Pure Vanilla Ice-Blended while he got the Pure Chocolate Ice-Blended. The beverages does really helps me cool down with this weather.

“So Alice.. You're friends with that dude who works at Noona's boutique?” Dongwoon asked.

Oh no, here it goes. I wished I didn't bump into him at all. Never after what happened a few years back. I looked down and sighed. “Yeah, we kinda had some... history.” I closed my eyes because the tears that was forming in my eyes started to sting.

Dongwoon was panicking; worried. “M-Mian-Mianhae Alice. I didn't mean to interfere with your personal life. It's just that he was really.. The way he looks at you..”

I looked up at Dongwoon. “I guess I should tell you what exactly had happened a few years back.”

“If only you want to.”

“It's for the best.” I said.

Dongwoon shifted his seat and moved closer. Naturally, he intertwined our fingers together while flashing his signature eye smile.

“Go on.” He said gently, rubbing the back of my palm soothingly which made me feel more relax.

A small smile tugging at the end of my face and I cleared my throat; half wanting to start telling him about Jonghyun, half hiding away my bright rosy cheeks because of his actions. Heaving a sigh, I began to tell him the whole truth.

“We were in love – Jonghyun and I. We were classmates back in high school and I guess that’s how it all began. Every morning, he would wait for me outside my house and we would go to school together. When I’m sad because of my grades, he would cheer me up by treating me to my favourite ice cream parlour. When I’m happy, he would never fail to surprise me with his crazy surprises. He was perfect. Because of that, I fell for him really hard.” My voice turned shaky as I bit my lower lip, bruising its exterior surface as I try to fight back the tears that were threatening to fall. Memories of Jonghyun and our past love flashing through my mind, remembering me again how that dorky boy have transformed me into a love-struck school girl.

“Then, what happened?” Dongwoon asked, tightening the grip of our interlaced hands. His voice was low and soft like a whisper. I looked up to him and immediately, I saw a glint of disappointment that shone through that dark orbs. His face softened in an instant and that gorgeous eye smile he previously wore formed into a straight line.

-

Dongwoon’s POV

I don’t know why but I felt angry when Alice mentioned how perfect and ideal boyfriend Jonghyun was. Sure he has the strong muscular figure, the hot charismatic look but hey! I think I’m much better than him in every way. As much as he wants to, he didn’t want to lose out to Jonghyun in any way.

Shrugging off the childish mindset off my mind temporary, I watched her talking about him. Her smile.. Her adorable child-like smile that flutters my heart transformed to a thin line of sadness and utter disappointment. It was as if the sunshine that brightens up the day was washed away and instead was replaced by dark clouds hovering and threatening to rain. I squeezed her palms, which she looked up to me with puzzling-looking eyes.

“Then, what happened?” I lowly said, eventhough a part of me refused to listen to the story which breaks my heart. I didn’t want to sound disrespectful. Even at her lowest point, I just want to be there for her. To listen to her.

“One day, after spending the time with me, he just left. Without a word and even a goodbye. I tried contacting him, even calling up his bestfriends but to no avail. I didn’t know what to do anymore. I don’t know what happened and I guess we’re over.” She chocked at the gush of emotions rushing through her mind and those tears that were begging to fall finally streamed down her face.

The sight of her crying makes my heart ache, and it just shattered my heart into pieces. Slowly, I stood up and moved my chair beside her as I embraced her in a tight comforting hug.

“Cry it out.” I gently said, ruffling her strawberry scented hair as her scent lingers onto my skin. “Just cry it out."