Chapter 3 // Meetings

Sideways Hourglass

Chapter 3

Meetings.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



A week later, Changmin and Victoria continued to exchange letters, and figured out that whatever happens to the mailbox on one side, happens to the other mailbox. For example, that day, when Victoria swung the flag, Changmin’s flag swung with it. They learned that they attended the same university, and were the same age. Victoria was no longer the annoyed ghost, and Changmin certainly felt pretty darn stupid for thinking so.

Before you knew it, they were teeming with curiosity as to what the other looked like, and wanted to meet up already. In as little as one week, Changmin and Victoria connected quickly and became the closest to being friends you can get in a week. All was well.

Hey Victoria,

You know what? Can you come to my uncle’s BBQ? It’s at 704 Karsfeld Road, which is only about an hour drive from where we live. It’s today in about 5 hours from now at 3:00 pm, but since you live 3 years prior I’m pretty sure this invitation isn’t sent too late.

Since you never know if you’re free until then, you don’t have to come, but if you have time can you drop by? I would really like to meet you, and this is no better time.

Further details is included. I’ll have to leave soon, but I really hope you can make it.

Sincerely,
Changmin



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


His phone beeped, and in a short time Changmin U-turned his car around, and was driving home, disappointed at the text message in which he had just received on his smartphone when he was halfway to his uncle’s house.

To: Changmin

This is very urgent. This year the barbeque is now canceled. I hope I didn’t text you too late, and you haven’t already left.

There has been some kind of traffic jam in the area, as a huge car accident happened a few minutes ago just two blocks down, involving two large trucks and a poor little car. The police have fenced off a 3 block perimeter and unfortunately my house just happens to be in it, no one is allowed to enter, so unfortunately, this year’s BBQ just can’t happen.

I’m pretty sure that, luckily, none of our relatives were involved in the car accident. I talked to some of the police, and one person is already confirmed dead. This really but we ought to at least be grateful that every relative that was invited was safe. I have sent this also to everyone invited, including Kyuhyun, so hopefully they don’t show up as well.

I can’t apologize enough, this year would of been so great, but I guess we just have to wait for next year right?

Changmin sighed, he had planned to ask his uncle about the mailbox,  and so much more. Plus he loved this time at his uncle’s because he really doesn’t get to see Kyuhyun as much anymore, due to school and the fact that Kyuhyun lives two states away but manages to still visit every year for the barbeque.

He thought about Kyuhyun for a while, about how devastated he would have felt if Kyuhyun was the one who died in the accident. Changmin shook the depressing thoughts away and focused on the road to avoid getting run-over himself. He couldn’t but help feeling horrible for the dead’s friends and family.

Well, accidents do happen, right?

As Changmin was driving home glumly, he forgot something incredibly important, something he’ll regret forever.That day, Changmin made one of the biggest mistakes he has ever made: He forgot to tell Victoria.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


One month later, Victoria was bored out of her mind. She shifted back and forth with discomfort and unconsciously clicked her pen repeatedly, receiving some glares from others who were probably annoyed at the non-stop sound.

She zoned out and thought about the month that has gone by, Changmin wasn’t so bad after all. They continued to exchange letters and got to know the other better. Everything was pretty well, until school started. She thought Changmin was an interesting way for ending her boredom, but Victoria definitely did not expect to see him that day.

Truth was, lectures were probably the worst things about university, she knew she had to take notes, but couldn’t help tuning out at the monotone voice stating one fact after another and thinking about something else more important..

“Alright class, that just about wraps it up for today,” Oh, thank God. Every single student looked like they were ready to sprint out.

“but before you leave, I will introduce a new intern that will be helping me for the next few classes. He is around your age, not including those that have failed and returned this year—”

How can a single person, have so much tedious things to say?

“—and also attends this university. However, I speak very highly of him, unlike those sitting here at this moment, because he passed this course online, while in highschool, and is continuing with the course two levels above this one.”

Every other girl in the huge lecture hall sat up straighter, as rumors have been circulating around that the intern was not only a genius, but also very handsome as well.

However, Victoria couldn’t care less, anyone who she had to listen facts from for 2 hours straight no longer seemed attractive to her.

“So here he is, everyone welcome Shim Changmin!”

Victoria was immediately jolted out of her half day-dream. Changmin? Like, THE Changmin? Could he possibly be the same one? Well, she knew that he definitely lived in the area, what are the odds?

The new intern entered and stood next to the professor, looking rather overwhelmed by the new attention, yet making the old and wrinkled professor look even less appealing. Victoria noted that Changmin really was good-looking, wearing a black, long-sleeve, button-down shirt with sleeves rolled up and ends tucked into fitted, faded Levi's.

He had soft, medium-length brown hair with large eyes, a long nose, and thin lips. Victoria had never expected the “idiot” that she “met” that day could be the charming genius in front of her. She caught herself before thinking too much.

Changmin did a little half bow politely, but didn’t say much afterwards. Victoria could imagine many of the girls swooning. I actually talk to him. She thought smugly, before remembering that this was Changmin in the past, meaning that the Changmin in front of her didn’t know who she was, yet.

Victoria was so immersed in thought she didn’t notice that everyone was packing up and leaving. Even though Changmin didn’t know her, she still wanted to talk to him, and find out if he really was her penpal from the future.

She never worked up the courage to, not even when they passed each other in the university halls walking home, instead, she simply bowed politely, and her action is returned with the same gesture. She was quite frustrated with herself, for not making an impression so that he could of remembered her. Little did Victoria know, that Changmin did remember that day, just not her name.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Changmin,

I think I saw you today! Weird coincidence, actually, but you are an intern in my class! I bowed to you after class today , I would’ve said but it would have been really awkward because you wouldn't of known who I was. Do you remember me?

This is so cool don’t you think? You should tell me where else to go that you’ve been so I can see you! Well, you wouldn’t of known me, but at least it’s better than just talking through mail right? Also, tell me more events happens in the future/ your present, this is all too exciting to not hear.

Anyway, how have you been? Sorry I can’t really reply as fast anymore because of school, but haven’t your new semester started yet? I guess it must be different every year.

Yours truly,
Victoria

Changmin tried his best to dig everything from his memory of first day being an intern three years ago, there wasn’t much he scavenged, the only thing was the awkward feeling standing up at the podium desk next to the professor, who, Changmin still remembered, didn’t smell so good.

There was also the uneasiness that he felt from the looks of many girls in the room. He couldn’t remember particularly one, except . . .

Could it really be her?

He did remember one girl in particular that bowed to him after classes, not much about her. Just that she was extremely beautiful, and the sight of her drove my mind and senses into ecstasy. Her light brown hair ran down from her cheeks down in layers, her ruby red lips, her flawless nose and her beautiful eyes. . .

Changmin stopped himself. I was dating Sooyoung back then, bad Changmin.

The thought brought Changmin into a flood of nostalgia. He remembered Sooyoung, his ex. They dated for almost two years, but they broke up because both didn’t realize that the feelings had faded away with time, both of them knew it, and ended rather mutually. Then again, you can’t ever truly be friends with someone that you have loved.

Changmin still couldn’t believe it was Victoria then. She did not seem like the irritable yet friendly girl he had met through the mailbox. The Victoria in real life seemed . . . mature, and not to mention way out of his league.

Changmin. You are overthinking this, it’s not like you are possibly in love with her or anything. Right?
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


But he actually is goodlooking!
You’ve known this guy for a month!
So?
So, you can’t possibly like someone in just a month!
How would you know?

Victoria had a full out heated argument with herself inside her mind, she couldn’t sort out how she really felt about Changmin. She knew that she was being shallow, for if Changmin really hadn’t been as handsome as he was, she knew that this argument wouldn’t of actually happened. Victoria settled to the thought that it was probably infatuation, and that Changmin couldn’t possibly have remembered her, unless . . .

I talk to him more and more!

The lightbulb suddenly lit itself in Victoria’s head. In order for Changmin to remember her, all she had to do, was make a bigger impression!

Wait . . . Why do you even want him to remember you?

That’s when Victoria had to accept, she did have a crush on Shim Changmin.

 


 

Say hi to my new co-author!! I introduce to you, Linda :D

Actually it still be mainly me writing everything, but Linda is actually a great source of ideas and I have to thank her for making the story possible~

I can't apologize enough. I said I would try for two updates a week and failed so bad T~T Forgive me? The problem is, I have an extreme case of LAS - Lazy Author Syndrome, plus there was a huge history test I had that I didn't have time and also couldn't concentrate on writing a chapter, which is why this one is pretty short compared to the ones before. Normally I write around 5 and a half pages on Google Docs, but this one was barely 5. ANYWAY. YAY CHANGTORIA MEETING AND FEELINGS! Have I developted too quickly? :$

Thanks for subscribing, commenting!! And check out my one-shot, and make sure to comment on that one too~ 

Soul Mates

Lastly, I wanna connect with my readers a bit more, so answer this question when you comment: Where in the world do you live? I live in Ontario, Canada, in a relatively small town. :)