It's More Complicated Than It Seems

Displaced

 

Yazin strode quickly through the maze-like hallways of the palace.  The sooner he left the eyes of the servants, the better in his opinion.  The Elanari had told him that Yunho and Kari would be among the most powerful magic users he had ever seen, but Yazin hadn’t expected this.  As soon as he got to the stables he motioned for one of the stable boys to prepare his mount.  The creature, a likanzi, was similar to what the new monarchs would call a horse.  Except that the likanzi had eight legs (four in the front and four in the back) with violet hair and bright gold eyes (every creature on this world had golden eyes).  While he waited for his likanzi to be saddled, he pondered what he was about to say to his contact among the Elanari.  After all, he was the one who – well, it was best not to think about that in public.  One never knew who might be listening in on one’s thoughts.  Only in the safety of his shielded quarters could he allow himself to think about what he had done. 

The stableboy handed him the reins and Yazin mounted, leaving the palace stables at a brisk walk.  Sure they had other, faster means of transportation, but he preferred the tranquility of riding through the city.  He was not showing off his expensive likanzi for the peasants of the fair city of Sal’isna.  Although, there were very few people riding.  Most preferred to use the magical highways that connected the main parts of the city.  One could simply step into what appeared to be a rushing stream of magic and one would be whisked away to whatever connecting platform one wished.  It truly was much faster than riding, but it was also free to use for any citizen and Yazin preferred not to mingle.  Of course, when one was in the stream of magic it appeared as if one was alone.  Yazin didn’t care about that.  The mere thought of being in the same magical stream as commoners sent shivers down his spine.  He was the man who – no, not yet.  He wasn’t in the safety of his shields, yet.  He mustn’t think about that. 

He passed several of the connecting platforms on his way back to the university at which all Tesa Huunim studied and was home to the High Wizard’s palace.  He barely held back a sneer as one little girl in very plain clothes stepped out of the stream with her equally plain mother.  Commoners.  One could always tell a commoner by the lack of decoration on their clothes.  They didn’t deserve a city like Sal’isna.  Or a High Wizard like Yazin, for that matter.  Oh, the things he did for those wretched undeserving commoners. 

The guards at the gate of the university saw him coming and quickly opened the gates for him.  They knew he did not like to be held up by their lack of agility with the heavy gates.  It took far too long for his likanzi to be stabled and for him to maneuver around the mass of people waiting for his return so he could speak with the Elanari.  As soon as his door closed behind him, he breathed a sigh of relief.  He could finally be free with his thoughts.  There was no chance of any unwanted onlookers here.  Yazin’s shoulders slumped forward and he hurried to his study.  He had some very important questions to ask those who did not take well to being questioned.  Opening his desk drawer, he unwrapped a curious piece of technology; one that did not belong on his planet.  It was a long oval that looked to be made of some kind of metal he had never been taught about with a circular gemstone set in the middle.  All he had to do was channel some of his magic into the gemstone, set the oval on the ground, and wait.  A few minutes later, the gemstone shown with a brilliant light and a life-size Elanari stood before him.  This was something called a hologram, or so he was told.  Apparently, the Elanari had another oval that was connected to this one that showed him as a hologram to whomever he was speaking to.  This time, the Elanari was a man (for which he was rather disappointed as the Elanari were usually shown without clothes, and their women had very nice figures). 

“I am called Tel’la.  You make speak, Yazin High Wizard of Filarin.”

“Yes, Honored One.  I have a few questions regarding the new king and queen you sent us.”

“Tread carefully.  You have been allowed far more freedom than usual in your dealings with us.  Do not make us regret that.”

“O-of course, Honored One.  I would never do anything to make you regret the privileges you have given me.”

“Then ask your questions.”

“I had been told they would be powerful, more powerful than most.  But, they are far more powerful than I had been led to believe.  I think they might even rival the Elanari.”

“That is not a question, but it amuses me to answer you.  They do rival our power.  That is why they were chosen.  Have you any news of their marriage?  Have they conceived?”

“Umm.  No, Honored One.  They have not conceived.  If I may be so bold, why do you ask, Honored One?”

“It is important that your kingdom be left with an heir.  That is all you need to know.”

“I know it’s more important than that.  Why won’t you tell me?  I’m the one who got rid of the previous king so you could bring in our new one.  Why am I not included in your plans?”

“Watch yourself, Yazin.  You were given the position of High Wizard so you could serve us.  Does a dog ask his master why he throws the stick?  You should be grateful of the information we do tell you.”  Tel’la glowed brightly and disappeared, leaving behind only the strange oval and a faint bluish light in the room.  Darn it.  Again, I’m told nothing.  As if I don’t know something odd is going on.  Anger flared up in Yazin.  He had been compared to a dog!  Commoners were compared to a dog, but not the High Wizard.  No, he had earned his title by his assassination of the previous king.  It had been something the Elanari had wanted, so Yazin had seen it done.  He had hoped that he would be rewarded with a position of power, and so he was.  Yazin was now the most powerful Filarini on the planet.  Not even the new king, favored of the Elanari, could stop him.

 


 

Reina studied the faces of her two newest students sitting in front of her.  One of them was confident, self-sufficient, hardworking, and dedicated.  The other was shy, intelligent, self-conscious, and sarcastic.  Somehow, Reina had to force these two to work together to save their kingdom.  She didn’t know exactly what Yazin was planning, but she knew it wasn’t going to be good for Yunho and Kari, or the people of Filarin.  It didn’t help her case that Yunho was avoiding Kari for whatever reason.  Actually, she knew the reason.  She had caught snippets of his thoughts throughout the beginning of the lesson.  He had a very good reason for avoiding Kari, and at any other time, Reina might have applauded him for it.  But, this was no time for chivalry.  A child could see that the two had feelings for each other.  In fact, Reina was half-convinced that Yunho and Kari had had feelings for each other long before they came to Filarin, they ran that deep. 

She gave herself a mental shake.  This was no time to be worrying over such things.  Magic was hard enough to use with a cleared mind, much less teach.  She cleared .

“Alright.  Magic, once you’ve unlocked it, cannot be left alone.  You must learn to control it, or it will devour you and everyone around you.  Do you understand me?  Magic is not a toy, it is dangerous.”

She let that sink in for a moment.

“Now, both of you, close your eyes.  I want to look deep within yourself, to the place where you feel most at home.  Your peaceful place, if you will.  Somewhere that your mind feels at peace and calm.  Hold that place in your mind.  Now, I want you to clear your minds of everything except that one place.”  She paused for several minutes, waiting for one of them to say something.  She had to be very careful about how she taught them to access their magic.  They were both far too powerful, and if she stepped wrong now, she could cause the destruction of the entire city.  After about five long minutes of waiting, Yunho opened his eyes.  It was obvious he wasn’t used to sitting still for too long and had grown impatient.  Odd, though.  She had expected Kari to be the first to give up.

“What are we supposed to be waiting for, Reina?”

She let him wait a little while longer before answering.  “Once you’ve got a firm hold on that place in your mind, it is a waiting game, Majesty.  You must learn to feel your magic on your own.  It cannot be shown to you by anyone else, and everyone sees their own magic differently.  I myself first heard my magic as the sound of tinkling bells in my peaceful place.  That is how I identify my magic to this very day, by the sound of bells.  For you, it will be different.  Regardless, you cannot find it if you do not wait for it.  So, close your eyes and try again.”  Yunho closed his eyes with a sigh.  Throughout that whole speech, Kari never moved an inch.  That was very surprising.  Reina would never have thought Kari had that much patience.  She narrowed her eyes.  Perhaps…could the child have already found her magic?  It was nigh impossible for someone to feel their magic on the first try.  Could Kari be that in tune with her own magic that it revealed itself to her already?  Reina gave herself another mental shake.  She was jumping to conclusions.  Maybe the girl simply had more patience than she had given her credit for.  It was best to wait and see. 

Reina let them continue on in silence for a good hour before stopping them.  Kari seemed surprised to find that she had been sitting perfectly still for so long.  Then she remembered what she was wearing and her blush returned.  She mumbled some excuse about wanting to change before another lesson with the librarian and practically ran out of the room.  It was rather amusing to watch Yunho struggling to keep his eyes away from the girl’s backside as she left, though.  It wouldn’t be too long now, before they gave in and came together on their own. 

Reina headed back to the Acyian t’Lialn with a smile on her face as she remembered her own first few months of marriage.  That had been a sequence of one embarrassing moment after another that they had both laughed at later on.  Oh, how she missed Jero.  He passed away only a few months previously, just before his old office was taken over by Yazin.  She had no evidence, but she was positive that Yazin had something to do with her husband’s death.  If only she had believed Jero when he told her someone was after him.  She had joked about it, telling him that he was getting paranoid in his old age.  Then the queen and her son died.  Their deaths had never felt right to Reina, but she had shrugged it off as she had Jero’s paranoia.  After the king died, Jero followed within the week.  He had been in perfect health.  She should know, as his healer.  Reina hadn’t been allowed to examine the body.  Yazin had ordered that his body be burned immediately in case it was some kind of fast-moving plague that could spread to the general public.  She had been visiting a brand of the Acyian t’Lialn in another city at the time, and by the time Yazin got around to informing her of her husband’s death, it was too late.  He had already been burned, his ashes thrown to the sea breeze.  It didn’t matter how long it took, she would see Yazin held to account for his actions.  She would search as long as she needed to, go anywhere she had to, to find the evidence of his crimes.  And if she couldn’t find enough evidence to present to the Elanari, she would find a way to make his life miserable.

 


 

Back in her dressing chamber and fully clothed again (thankfully), Kari was so elated by what she had felt during the magic lesson that she almost forgot how embarrassed she was that Yunho had seen her practically .  She had felt her own magic!  At first, she had imagined herself in a calm meadow with a bubbling brook and a soft breeze.  But, after a moment, a soft white glow had permeated her meadow.  It grew in intensity until all she could see, hear, or feel was the glow.  Her magic was light and warmth and – oh, she couldn’t wait to try it again!  This had to have been the first truly good thing that had happened to her since she was taken from her school.  She sat down on the floor in front of one of her mirrors and was about to try to feel it again when the door opened.  She turned to find Mair curtsying to her.

“Majesty, I must remind you that you have a meeting with Nia in a few moments.”

Kari just loved how they called her lessons ‘meetings’.  She sighed.  “Alright.  I’ll be there in a sec.” 

“Shall I inform her of your arrival, Majesty?”

Didn’t she already know Kari was coming?  Nia was the one who set this meeting up in the first place.

“Yes.”

Mair curtsied again and walked out of the room.  So much for trying her magic again.  Kari got up and started off towards the library, hiding her blush as she passed a very fine-looking Yunho still in his robes headed for his own dressing room.  Luckily, he didn’t see her take a moment to stare.