The Treaty

Displaced

 

The high wizard looks almost as confused as Kari felt.  He apparently wasn’t expecting to have to explain more than he already had.  If he called that an explanation.  Kari had more questions after hearing that than before.

“You-you don’t know about the treaty, my lord?”

“No.  Please, explain it to me, to us.”  Yunho glanced over at Kari.

“I don’t understand.”

“Neither do we.”

“No.  I meant to say that this is most unusual.  I never dreamed the Elanari would send us someone who had never heard of the treaty.  You truly don’t know of it, my lord?”

“I don’t know about any treaty or Elanari or anything you’ve just said.  I’m beginning to think you have the wrong people.”

“No, my lord.  You and Lady Kari are meant to be here.  The Elanari would not have brought you here had that not been the case.”

“First off, how do you know our names?  We never told them to you.”

“When the Elanari informed me of your arrival they also told me your names, my lord.  They did not, however, tell me that you would know nothing of why you were brought here.”

“Okay.  Who are these Elanari you keep talking about?”

“The Elanari are an ancient race who travel the universe keeping the peace among the various planets that have asked for their protection or guidance.  For those who do not have the technology to travel the stars, the Elanari offer a treaty, or contract if you will.  The people under the treaty agree to do certain things in case the Elanari find another world in need of those things.”

Yunho stared at the high wizard.  The stuff he said was ludicrous.  If Kari hadn’t seen for herself the power of these Elanari, she would have said the whole thing was hogwash.  However, she had somehow been teleported out of her school and taken to this place, so there must be some truth to Yazin’s story.

“Really, everything I have told you is in the histories.”

“If you say so.  But, why are we here?”

“Part of the treaty our world signed with the Elanari says that in the event that our monarch dies without naming an heir, the Elanari will provide one from another world.  This is to prevent civil war and undue chaos that usually arise from a questionable succession.”

“So?”

“So, my lord, the Elanari have chosen you to be our next king.”

Yunho shook his head, obviously not wanting to hear Yazin.  “You’ve got the wrong man.  I’m no lord, no king.  I’m an entertainer.  I sing and dance and act.  That’s it.  No more.  I’m not suited to be a king.”

Yazin raised an eyebrow at him and turned to Kari.  “And what of you, my lady?  What did you do on your former world?”

“Um…I was – I am a student.”

“Really?  What did you study?”

“Math.  But, I don’t see how I could be involved in this.  You only need one person to be king.”

Yazin sighed.  “My lady, the Elanari would never take a man from his home and send him to a new place without someone else from his world to keep him from being lonely.  You are to be queen, my lady.”

“What?”  Kari was positive she heard him wrong.  Her?  Queen?

“Yes, my lady.  You will be queen.  I’m sorry, but this is how the treaty works.”

“But, for me to be queen, that means I’d have to marry…” She choked off her next words as she glanced at Yunho and blushed.  There were worse people to be stuck with, but she didn’t like the idea of having her husband chosen for her.

“Yes, my lady.  You and Lord Yunho are to be married.”

“You mean, we don’t get a say in this?”  Yunho’s temper flared.  Kari was a little surprised.  She had thought he had a little more patience.  She guessed it was the strain of everything they had been through and everything they were just told. 

“My lord?”

“What if we refuse?”

Yazin seemed to consider this for a moment.  Doubtless, he had thought that whoever the Elanari brought to them would gladly do what he asked. 

“My lord, I don’t think that would be wise.  The Elanari, kind and gentle as they are, are also very strict when it comes to the fulfillment of their treaties.  They would not approve of your refusal.  It is never good to do something the Elanari don’t approve of.”

That sounded like a threat to Kari.  She almost said so, but managed to hold her tongue.  That sort of comment might get her and Yunho in trouble. 

Yunho sighed, letting go of his momentary flash of anger.  “Alright.  How long do we have to decide whether or not to go through with this?”

“The coronation and wedding will be this afternoon, my lord.  After that, you will be given as long as you require to learn our laws and begin your kingly duties.”

So little time.  They had to make a major decision like this one by this afternoon?  Kari didn’t think she could do it.  Then she remembered what the robed man had said just before sending her here.  If they didn’t go along with this, some other people were going to be ripped from their friends, families, and homes.  She didn’t want someone else to go through what she had been through just so she could go have a comfortable life back home.  How selfish would that be?

“My lord, my lady.  I must point out that you really have no choice in this matter.  It has already been decided by the Elanari that you will be king and queen.”

That was hardly fair.  They should at least be given the semblance of a choice.  But, no.  Why should they be given that?  It’s not like they were captured against their will, tortured, and brought to this place to be married, also against their will.  Why did the stupid Elanari have to choose her?  Why couldn’t they choose someone else?  Someone better suited to being a queen than a lowly student who couldn’t even speak in front of her class without being so nervous she couldn’t speak properly. 

The high wizard gave them both a stern glance then called for the servants standing along the walls to take them back to their rooms.  As Kari was lead away, she could have sworn she heard Yunho whisper ‘I’m sorry’ to her.  Why was he sorry?  He wasn’t the one who got her into this mess.  She blamed the Elanari.  And that robed man from the cavern.  She was pretty sure he was one of these Elanari.  What else could he be? 

She was led back to her room by the same woman who woke her up.  She still didn’t know the woman’s name. 

“Do you have a name?”

The woman looked a little startled.  “My lady?  Oh, I’m terribly sorry.  I never introduced myself to you earlier.  Yes, my name is Mair.  I’m to be your maidservant, if that is pleasing to your, my lady.”

Kari sighed.  She wasn’t used to all this ‘my lady’ crap, yet.  But, she supposed she had better get used to it fast, ‘cause it looked like she wasn’t going anywhere else anytime soon. 

“Oh, my lady.  If you don’t mind me saying so, I think you’ll look absolutely stunning in your coronation dress.  I don’t know how they do weddings or coronations on your world; but here, if two people wish to be married, they must make their vows in front of a wizard who will bind them together in magic until death parts them.  How do people marry on your world, my lady?”

“Well, Mair.  We don’t really have magic in my world.  But, when two people want to get married, we usually throw them a big party.  And they vow to love each other in front a pastor or a priest.  Pastors and priests are leaders in certain churches.”

“Oh.  Like religious men?”

“Yeah, something like that.”

“Well, that doesn’t sound too different at all, my lady.” 

Mair opened the door to her room and allowed Kari to enter first.  The room really was beautiful, but it was hard to enjoy it in light of what she was going to be doing that afternoon. 

“Alright, my lady.  I think we should fix your hair and your make-up first.  Then we’ll put you in your dress.”

Joy.  She didn’t have any say in this at all, did she?  Mair sat her down at the vanity and started fiddling with her hair.  This was probably going to take hours.



 

 

Kari was right.  It did take hours to fix her hair and apply her make-up and drape her dress around her.  But, it was worth it.  Kari stood in front of her stand mirror, gazing at the finished product of hours of hard work on Mair’s part.  If it hadn’t been for the fact that she was getting married against her will (and crowned queen, for that matter) she probably would have thought that this was the best wedding dress ever.  Mair was standing behind her, smiling in a very proud way.  It was as if she was Kari’s mother, so proud to see how beautiful her daughter looked on her wedding day.  Kari, however, didn’t feel like smiling.  She felt like throwing up.  Or running away.  Or both.  Hopefully not at the same time. 

“My lady, it’s time.”

Kari sighed.  Why was she going through this again?  Oh yeah, because she was told she had no choice in the matter. 

They walked back through what Kari now knew was a rather large palace on the way to the throne room where the coronation/wedding ceremony would be held.  She wondered if Yunho, her groom, was feeling the same way she was.  It was almost worse that Yunho was to be her unwilling groom.  As much as she liked him (well, as much as you could like someone you hardly knew), she wished she were getting married to a complete stranger.  That way, no one else she cared about would be stuck here with her, and she could comfort herself knowing that they all had the chance to be free to live their normal lives. 

She stopped in front of the throne room doors.  This was it.  Her last chance to run.  Kari knew she wouldn’t, though.  How could she leave Yunho alone in this?  And even if she did run, what would they do to Yunho?  Would they make him serve as king still?  Would they make him marry one of them?  She shook her head.  Thinking like that was going to make her cry.  She had to be strong.  For Yunho.  For herself.  If she wasn’t, then how would she ever help Yunho through this? 

“My lady, are you ready?”

No.  She took a deep breath.

“Yes.”

The massive, ornately carved doors opened on silent hinges, opening to her unwanted future.