chapter twenty seven

Intertwined

 

A month passed and CNBLUE had finished the Asian tour successfully. In return, the company president told us that we wouldn’t have to practice and work on new songs for a week. Meaning, it was some sort of vacation. So we were definitely excited to return home.

But at the same time, I was afraid.

Two days after we returned from out tour, I woke up early to go to the salon. I still have WGM so I couldn’t go home to my family like what my three members did. But so what? Being with Joohyun compensates big time.

“Yonghwa-ssi, annyeong haseyo.”The girl at the front desk greeted me. I think she’s a new employee.

I returned the courtesy and headed to my usual spot. However, it took me by surprise when one of the staff came to me. “Yonghwa-ssi, I’m sorry but this seat is taken.”

“Huh? But this is my favorite! Who occupied it!?”No, I wasn’t throwing a fit. I was just lazy to sit on another chair even if it’s just a few inches away.

“Seohyun-ssi.”The staff attentively said. She seemed elated in telling me about it.

My eyes went wide. “Seohyun? SNSD’S Seohyun? SHE’S HERE!?” I covered my mouth with my palm. Why is she in the same salon as mine?

The staff nodded and giggled at the same time. You guys probably know already what she’s thinking, right? So I asked again, “where is she?”

“In the shampoo room.”She confidently replied.

As I took a step to get off the chair, I was hindered when another voice called my name. “Yonghwa-ssi!” It was a male.

I looked to see who’s calling me and was very surprised to see a WGM VJ, carrying his camera. As he walked closer to me, I began to wonder why on Earth is he in the salon early morning.

“Hyung, why are you here?” I asked, certainly clueless.

A chuckle was heard from the VJ. “Someone ticked us that you’re both here so I had to film. This is a good turnout for the show!” He exclaimed gleefully.

That very moment, I just want to shove the VJ away. However, I don’t want to appear disrespectful. Then the VJ decided to ask where Joohyun is first and plotted the camera inside the room without her notice. I was then ordered to enter and meet my ‘wife’.

Although it was a bit annoying that the rare moment was being filmed, I still decided to go on. I entered the shampoo room.

Joohyun was having her hair washed. To prevent the shampoo from going to her eyes, she had it covered by a towel. Upon seeing her, I had an idea – something I have always dreamed of doing to a girl I like. I then went quietly to where the staff is and gently took her position.

As I was washing Joohyun’s hair, the feeling of accomplishment was dawning on me. But more than that, there was this certain joy I couldn’t explain. As I carefully rinsed the soap off her crowning glory, I couldn’t help but smile. Not every guy admiring her is given the opportunity to do that to her.

I… I felt… I felt special.

Before the WGM VJ get to catch the collapse of my poker face, I leaned onto the staff beside me and asked her to ask Joohyun anything.

“Seohyun-ssi, what did you eat for today?”

“I ate bean paste soup and vegetable bibimbap.”She replied.

I couldn’t stand it any longer. I decided to chime in and reveal myself. “Really?” Joohyun, who was obviously surprised with my voice, removed her eye cover and looked at me. She was smiling but there were no emotions in her eyes.

It would hurt my pride to admit this; but I felt fear in my heart about what awaits.

The staff did the final rinsing on her hair as I went out of the room. She was mad. I knew she was mad.

My instincts were proven true when Joohyun told me that she is indeed angry. As she was telling me how mad she is, I couldn’t do anything but just smile nervously and play with the toy truck I just found beside me. I couldn’t even look at her reflection in the mirror. The few times I did, all were just stolen. It’s as if I would melt into a puddle of goo if our gazes would meet.

We didn’t talk even if the WGM crew told us to do so. She wouldn’t budge. I wouldn’t dare. So after our respective stylists were done with us, we were confined on a small room with only one VJ to film us.

Left with no choice, I decided to break the cold war. “Joohyun-ah.” I said with a low and soft voice.

What came next broke my heart into pieces that I just want to slam myself on the wall and evaporate. Tears were pooling on Seo Joohyun’s eyes. My breathing stopped as her eyes met mine. More than the anger, there was anguish. If I had not known better, I would have assumed that she was crying because she was hurt of what I did…

But then what if she really was hurt?

Yes. For the whole month, I never contacted her. I didn’t call nor even just a message. I never wore the ring as well. There was nothing from my part. And it’s not that I want to. It’s just that I have to.

I did that because I wanted to know what she feels about me. I wanted to know my place. The ring confirmation was such a very moving milestone for the both of us and I just want to confirm for myself if I have the chance on the beautiful girl who I like more than anyone else.

I quickly looked at the VJ to see if the camera was rolling already. Thank God, it wasn’t yet. I then shifted my attention back to the girl in front of me whose gaze was already on the ground.

“What’s wrong?”I asked in the most apologetic words I could ever come up with. I had to ask because I don’t want to assume. Yet I totally know the answer to my question.

I nudged her softly but she wouldn’t look at me. Nonetheless, I saw her wipe her eyes even before tears got to fall. “Nothing… It’s just that I don’t know if I can still continue…”

“What do you mean?”That wasn’t the reality I wanted.

Jonghyun looked at me in the eyes, “Jung Yonghwa-ssi…”

Ouch. Where did the ‘oppa’ go?

And then the camera started rolling…

Joohyun suddenly beamed a smile and looked at me after sipping on her cup. But I was definitely taken aback. I had to force a smile to cover up for my nervousness. Her eyes were scary. It was never that scary… until she spoke.

“I told you that I’m feeling disappointed and you know why, right?”  She stated firmly.

I had no other choice but to tell her the most condensed truth, even in front of the camera. “The whole time I didn’t contact you, I was thinking that if I didn’t make a move, you would think of me.”

Joohyun’s eyes widened and suddenly, I saw myself chuckling at the view. Right then and there, I instantly knew that she was indeed thinking of me. She looked very surprised with my thoughts, though; and I should have expected that though. She had never been in a relationship, ever. She took a sip from her cup perhaps to calm herself down so I decided to continue explaining.

“I was just pretending to be cold.”And then Joohyun flashed me a smile which I didn’t know if it’s real or what. That’s when I knew that I need to probe more on my explanations. “So you missed me?” I asked.

 “I was really worried. I really cannot imagine. I actually thought something happened!”She said, and I felt sorry. I was convinced that I did the wrong decision. I shouldn’t have pulled that stupid mildang idea. But then how can I ever deny the fact that I was comforted with the thought that she was worried about me?

But then again, she was hurt; and it hurt me double. I need a miracle to be forgiven.

I was trying to rationalize but a man appeared out of nowhere and handed us a mission card. It said that we are going to perform together for a big music production in a few weeks, on a very special day.

Good timing. There’s something that I’ve got to get done.



 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I hope it somehow justified the episode.

I have a story to tell by the way. This episode in the salon and the interview in the dark room that came with it were the scenes which convinced me that seohyun actually liked yonghwa. maybe not love.. but i do believe she really liked him.

whenever i watch this part, i actually want to punch yonghwa until he bleeds. i want to strangle him. (and this is just one of those moments!)

i felt sad about seohyun, being neglected like that. one month is too much. seriously.

and look at the eyes of seohyun. i wish i'm not the only one who noticed that she was actually controlling her tears from falling. 

yonghwa, you .