The Present

Could You Just Disappear From My Sight? (One-Shot)

"Could you just... disappear from my sight?"

 

 

 

 

I thought about today morning on my walk home at night. My incident with YongGuk.

 

As soon as I had said those words then, tears had welled up in my eyes and rolled down my face. I had looked up at YongGuk to see his face had turned stiff, a frown set upon his lips and poison in his eyes. But he stayed frozen. I couldn't understand.

 

I moved myself from his embrace, taking two gentle steps back. The tears had flowed over as I blinked. My breath had started to get shorter as I was anticipating his reaction at what I had said. Fear. Fear took over me.

 

I had to run away.

 

So I did.

 

I took another step back and my heel, sprinting in my sneakers as fast as I could.

 

Surprisingly, YongGuk didn't chase after me as I thought he would. I didn't see him for the rest of the day, a new surprise. I wondered whether I should be expecting him at my doorstep tonight or not.

 

I let out a deep sigh, tears threatening to flow over again.

 

This was not what I had wanted. This wasn't what I dreamed of when I started loving him.

 

I was getting closer to my house; I looked for the familiar shadow under the streetlight to see none. I stopped in my tracks in shock. He wasn't there. Bang Yong Guk wasn't there. Had those been the magic words? Had those words finally convinced him that we were over?

 

A pair of arms wrapped around my waist.

 

I nearly screamed before I smelled the scent I knew ever so well. Had he been following behind me this whole time?

 

"Hannah..."

 

His deep voice seemed tired, restrained.

 

My hand suddenly released its grip on my bag and I heard it drop to the ground. I started to shake slightly. I didn't know what to expect still.

 

"...Hannah..." he repeated, as if saying my name would make him feel better.

 

I couldn't stand being so close to him. I tried to take a step forward, to break from his embrace when he pulled me tighter into him. I closed my eyes to control my fear. A quavering intake of breath.

 

"Hannah-ya...."

 

He sounded so miserable, so terrible. It broke my heart. Listening to him, my hate and fear for him was weakening and I felt I was with the YongGuk I used to love.

 

He dug his face into the crane of my neck, holding me snugly. Suddenly, the warmth of his body on a chilly night was much more welcoming. It had been so nice back in the day, when we both loved each other. If only we could be like that again...

 

"You can't ever leave me."

 

My eyes shot opened and I realized my wishes were hopeless. Crushed. Any future I had hope to have with him, gone. All delusions. I snapped.

 

I grabbed his arms and threw it off of my body; I turned, glaring at him. Anger, anger pulsated through me. So much anger that I couldn't stop the tears that were coming again.

 

"Bang. Yong. Guk," I spoke through gritted teeth. He seemed a little surprised at my change in attitude.

 

"Just who do you think you are?" I asked him, taking a step forward. "Waiting for me in the morning and waiting for me at night. Following me home. Following me anywhere, in fact. Just who do you think you are?" I took my index finger, jabbing at him with each sentence. "Why can't you get it through your head? This isn't love. This is obsession. You don't know a thing about love. You don't know a thing about me. You're crazy. And most importantly... most important of all... I don't love you."

 

I stared him down with all the hate I could muster up in my tear filled eyes.

 

"I don't love you."

 

YongGuk looked at me, his expression dazed. But that was only for a while. Suddenly, his brown eyes started burning as I saw his hands turn into fists at his side and his face tense up.

 

"Don't lie, Jung Hannah. Don't you dare. Calling you everyday... Waiting for you everyday... Don't call it obsession! You don't even know the extent of my love for you. Don't you dare try and call me crazy - you don't know how I feel every time I see you. You know you love me too... you know you want me too! Stop trying to run away from me... You know you can never get far from me."

 

I didn't think it through; my body reacted before I did.

 

I stepped a little back and raised my hand. I brought my hand down with all the force I had against YongGuk's face.

 

..........................

 

A silence hung in the air.

 

When I realized what I had done, I stared at the hand that had hit him, and then the red mark that was rising on his left cheek. What had happened? Did I really just slap him?

 

I grabbed my right hand with my left, not being able to meet his eyes.

 

"....I'm sorry....." I whispered.

 

YongGuk came closer to me and I winced. He slowly reached out for my right hand and grabbed it gently. I looked at him with wide eyes, wondering what he was doing. He brought it to his face, so my palm caressed the spot which it had hit. He closed his eyes, keeping my hand against his face for a small while. He opened his eyes again slowly, looking at me.

 

"Don't be."

 

I stared at him, frozen. My mind was blank from his gentleness as I watched him kiss the palm of my hand. He came closer to me, planting a kiss on my cheek where my tears had stained it before embracing me. He held me tighter, satisfied that I wasn't trying to push him away. YongGuk buried his face into my hair, breathing in the scent.

 

"See? I told you not to lie. You have no choice but to love me," he mumbled happily.

 

A chill went down my spine.

 

It was back to the beginning all over again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Aha, the final part is up! Thanks for sticking with this incredibly long one-shot and thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it~~