Chapter 3

I died and became a death god


"But in exchange, you'll take a life of someone..." That part kept replaying inside my head ever since the girl called Rae Seu told me when I made a pact with her. Now I'm both a ghost and a death god. I can't believe these things happened to me in a day. Until now, I can't believe I died because I screamed inside my room. Wait a second, room, the little lady! "I NEED TO GO BACK TO THE HUMAN WORLD!" I screamed at Rae Seu and Seung Hyun who are in front of me. Seung Hyun smiled while Rae Seu shrugged "It's your choice, you can go anywhere you like. As long as you bring back a soul of a human back here. I don't care how long but don't forget to take a soul arasseo?"

I said goodbye to her and stepped out of the building. I looked at the whole building and it was huge. The building was called "Tartarus", it was cool but it sounded like toothpaste. While I was busy walking in random places in the Midnight Hour, I saw the guy I met before, I think he was called Seung Hyun or something. "Hey newbie, come here for a second" he signaled me to come closer and I did what I was told. I sat beside him on the bench and he took out a piece of paper from his pocket, it was a photo. "Look at this bro" he showed me the picture, it was him and a little girl I guess it was taken back when he was alive. "That's me and my little sister". I smiled, both of them were happily smiling and were making peace signs. I wonder if the little lady is still okay? Did she make it out? Or maybe... nah. No one can find her inside the vent, I hide there all the time when I'm slacking off.

"Now, give it back" he took it from my hands and shoved it back inside his pocket "So, tell me. How the heck did you die?" I looked at him and he seemed serious enough "I was shot, when I was inside my room" He nodded and looked away from me "I... I died because, I protected my little sister. She was the one who was about to get killed, but I protected her" he said sadly, he was sulking and little droplets of tears were falling. I patted his back "Don't cry... It's weird to see men cry" I joked and he stopped crying, and gave me a light punch on the head "You weirdo. I was crying and you said it's weird to see me cry?"

He stood up from the bench and stretched his arms "Let's go!" I gave him a confused look "To the place where you want to go you doofus" "Ohhh" I nodded and whispered the destination. "Okay, destination human world." He raised his hand again and we were surrounded by white light. So now the light is white, great.

"Hurry! We still might save him!"

"CPR! Quick! 1 2 3, 1 2 3"

"Doctor, there's no pulse! What should we do!"

We arrived back to my room in the Human world. Great, now I call my previous world the Human world. I looked at all the doctors and the nurses surrounding my lifeless body, trying to save me. But it's too late, if only they came 30 minutes earlier, then they might have saved me. Those lazy doctors. I walked around the room to see if the little lady is still there, but I guess she's still inside the vent. I jumped to see if I can float but I came back down, I jumped again but nothing happened. "What the heck are you doing?" Seung Hyun watched me jumped up and down with a weird face "I'm trying how to float" I replied. His face twitched and he went nearer to me. "Floating is for ghosts only, you're a death god." he whispered and gave me a smack on the head. I pouted and stopped jumping, I looked at my lifeless body once again. It hurts to see my body lying helplessly on the ground while I stand here. Wait, it does hurts. My chest... it... hurts...

"Do-Doctor! There's a pulse, a small pulse!" a nurse screamed and ran outside to get help

"Hey! Are you okay?" Seung Hyun shook my shoulders as I sat on the floor. My chest hurts, I can't take it anymore. I tried to stand up and walked over to where my body was. I looked at the screen connected to my body and the line was moving up and down slightly. It was moving, my body is saved! I ran towards my body so that my spirit can come back to it, just like what happens to movies. But as I was running towards there, I tripped over something. I looked at what it was, and NO! I tripped over the power cable and it was removed from the switch! I looked at the screen again and there was no pulse, it's a straight line.

"Where is it?!" the doctors came rushing in and checked my body. One doctor shook his head and set down my left arm. I looked again at my body, it's now white pale, not like earlier when it still produced small pulses. It's my fault, I was about to live again but,  I died because of me. Because I tripped over the power cable. Now I think about it, my chest doesn't hurt anymore. Maybe it was hurting earlier because I was about to live again. "It's not your fault Hong Ki-ssi" Seung Hyun came towards me slowly and patted my back "It's 'his' fault. Once someone died, even if the body still shows some possibility it's alive, he will use his power to make it stop. That happened to me too, that's maybe why both of us are like this" I looked at him and then my body, I guess there's no use trying to live again. Well, live again without taking a life of another person.