Chapter 2

I died and became a death god

"Hey you, wake up"

 

I opened my eyes but quickly closed them again because of the bright light in front of me. After a few second of adjusting my eyes to the light, I stood up and looked at my surroundings. Black buildings, black sky, people wearing black clothes, black... everything. I thought I was in heaven, but... why is everything black? I wanted to know where I was so asked a random person who walked in front of me. "Excuse me, but can I ask where am I?" he looked at me with a smirk on his face "Newbie huh? You really are something new newbie, you have the guts to go down here" he pointed to my clothes, I looked at myself and my clothes weren't black, well, not all black. I had a white shirt and black pants, but why?

 

"Go to the office, it's just over there. Walk straight to the corner then go left, then left again after going right then finally, turn around and there it is." I looked at him in shock, my mouth hanging down. What the heck did this guy just said?! "O-o-o-o-okay..." I smiled at him but he looked at me with a blank expression. He massaged his temple and smirked and raised his hand, black light coming from it, and then suddenly we were in another place. "Wha-what?!" I blurted out when we were suddenly in a different place, I was deeply in shock. First, I was in an unknown place when I thought I was dead, and now, people can use black magic?

 

"Welcome, Lee Hong Ki-ssi." I looked behind me and there was a normal looking girl. But when she stepped out from the counter, there was a tail hanging down. "Oh, don't envy me yet Hong Ki-ssi, you will have one after you passed your devil-in-training test" I quickly shook my head and she looked at me with a surprised expression "Ya Rae Seu! Can't you see his clothes?" the guy beside me screamed at the girl in front of me "I know that Seung Hyun! You shouldn't hurry me up or else I will not pass you on your devil-in-training test" she threatened him and he just smirked then went silent.

 

The girl called Rae Seu turned around and opened one of the many drawers behind her. She took out an envelope and flipped it open, inspection every page and then stopped at one page. "Omo. Two persona-equipped people in a week? That's rare." she said and put down the envelope on the desk. "Well Hong Ki-ssi, before I will explain the rules to you, ask as many questions you want to ask" she looked at me and smiled. This is my chance, I can finally ask where I am!

 

"What is this place? Why am I here? Who are you people? Why do you have a tail? Am I really dead?" I asked different kind of questions but she only smiled "Lee Hong Ki-ssi, I'm really sorry but you are really dead. This place you are in is not heaven neither it is hell. You might say, it is the place for dead people to decide if they still want to go back to the living world or not. This is the Midnight Hour, a hidden hour between morning and night" I looked at her with a blank expression, but I was serious. I really died, on moreover, I must decide if I want to go back to the living world or not. She coughed before continuing "Ehem, as I was saying earlier, this is the Midnight Hour. Not every dead people can come here, in fact, we haven't had a new dead person in this place for 100 years. Only you and  that guy there are our visitors after a hundred years" she pointed to the guy beside me.

 

Oh, now I get it. I died and I'm here. Simple as that, I'm dead. But I really want to live again, there's no other choice. I must live again "Uhmm, I want to go back to the living world. Please" I pleaded at her, but right after I just said that, a glowing ball of black light popped in front of me and entered my body. The guy beside me grabbed my shoulder and shook my body "What the heck did you just said?! Rae Seu! You didn't tell him the consequences if he wanted to live!" he shouted at Rae Seu, but she looked at me and gave me a creepy smile. "Oh yeah Hong Ki-ssi, I forgot to tell you. If you wanted to go back to the living world again, you will not have a second life. Meaning, you'll only be a ghost, but can sometime become visible to people. But, in exchange, you'll take a life of someone."