Spring; 2012

Teardrops In The Rain

     Two years, and not a thing has changed about this place, Song Seunghyun thought to himself as he walked in the door. Everything was just as he remembered since the last time he was here. His eyes looked around fondly at the paintings and old-fashioned photographs that were abundantly hung on the paneled walls, the warm lamps that were hung low from the ceiling, the bar area that was tucked neatly into the left corner of the room. There was Hongki, with his long hair in a low ponytail taking orders from the customers. Jaejin was still the pub’s soundman. And he could see Jonghun mixing up drinks behind the bar. Seunghyun was surprised at how much the guy had buffed up. The only two people who were missing were Minhyuk and…

     He shook his head and pulled his cap lower over his eyes, then took a seat in the darkest corner of the room. There were fifteen minutes more until this singer Hongki had begged him to see showed up on stage. He was curious to know just who exactly this singer was.

     As if on cue, a person appeared on the small stage at the front of the room, with a guitar case slung over his shoulder. He was wearing a black jacket with the hood pulled close over his head. Seunghyun leaned forward in his seat and tried to catch a glimpse of the person’s face. The bulky jacket hid his build and he wore a surgical mask over his mouth. Seunghyun sighed frustratedly. The mystery surrounding this guy was just too great.

 

Summer; 2009

     “Bye guys,” Hongki said as he grabbed his boyfriend Jonghun’s arm. “We’ll see you tonight,” he gleefully said and dragged Jonghun away impatiently from the room.

     Jonghun threw Seunghyun a bunch of keys. “Don’t forget to lock the pub up properly after you finish rehearsing,” he reminded them before he was completely pulled away by Hongki. Jonghyun chuckled at the sight of the couple hurrying away.

     “What’s up with them?” Minhyuk asked. “They’re acting weirder than usual.”

     “Today’s their anniversary,” Jonghyun replied.

     “It’s been three years,” Jaejin added, as he packed his bass away into a canvas bag. “Bye, see you guys tonight!” The bassist threw them a peace sign and disappeared out the door.

     Minhyuk slid his drumsticks into the back pockets of his jeans and ran after Jaejin. “Yah, wait for me, Jinnie! You promised you’d give me a ride home!”

     The remaining two boys laughed over their bandmates’ antics. “Well, I’ll leave too,” Jonghyun said as he picked up his guitar and slung it over his shoulder. Seunghyun nodded in response and turned his attention to the acoustic guitar in his lap.

     “Aren’t you gonna leave?” Jonghyun asked curiously.

     “No, not yet, there’s something I want to finish,” Seunghyun explained.

     Jonghyun nodded. “Okay then, see you later, Seunghyun-goon.”

     “Bye, hyung.”

     Jonghyun made a move to leave, but when he was sure Seunghyun wasn’t looking, he crouched down behind the bar and kept still. Something about the newest addition to the band made Jonghyun extremely curious. He didn’t know why exactly, but just the sight of Seunghyun made his heart flutter, his stomach churn, and his toes tingle. He wondered if he falling in love with the guy. If that wasn’t love, then what was?

     He heard a rustling of papers coming from where Seunghyun sat, followed by the sound of a pencil scribbling swiftly across the paper. He was writing? Jonghyun was dying to know what Seunghyun was writing about.

     A soft and slow melody filled the room as he heard Seunghyun begin to pluck the guitar strings gently. The boy began to hum along softly, his lilting voice harmonizing perfectly with the music. Jonghyun held his breath and closed his eyes. He knew.

     He loved Seunghyun. 

 

Spring; 2012

     He set down his guitar case onto the wooden surface of the stage and ped it. He held his guitar by the neck and clasped on his black guitar strap, then slung it over his shoulder. Once he connected the cable wire from the guitar to the amplifier, he took off the mask he was wearing and smiled down at the bodacious instrument in his arms.

     "Hello, Boxy," he whispered. "It's been a while since we were here, hasn't it?"

     He stepped up to the microphone and tested the sound. "Mic check, one, two," he said into the microphone. He heard himself loud and clear, and gave Jaejin who was sitting by the sound mixing equipment a thumbs up. He strummed his guitar, and satisfied that everything was in order, he pulled back the hood of his jacket and introduced himself.

     "Hi everybody, I'm Lee Jonghyun." The audience applauded him, and he smiled. It had been a really long time since his last performance and the high of being on stage again pumped the adrenaline in his veins.

     "It's good to be back," he said. He meant it. No matter what life tossed in his face, nothing made him happier than performing in this familiar place, in front of a familiar crowd. He felt like the prodigal son, coming home after being lost for so long.

     He counted himself in by tapping the wooden body of the guitar. "This one's called Run, hope you guys enjoy it." 

     Jonghyun started into the song energetically, and caught the eyes of Hongki and Jonghun who were at the bar area. They were smiling widely at him, and Jonghun gave him a thumbs up.

     Then he started singing and the audience sang along. The song was an old favorite among the regular customers, and they happily delved into it.

     Little did Jonghyun know that a certain person was watching him with eyes widened with shock and longing.

 

---

 

     The instant the performer pulled back his hood, Seunghyun knew why Hongki had been so determined to make sure he came tonight. He initially felt betrayed that Hongki would set him up like this. Seunghyun was definitely unprepared to see his old lover in the flesh again. The lover which he had dumped two years ago. His heartbeat increased and pounded in his chest. His eyes began to sting and his vision clouded. He swiped his hand over his eyes to hide the tears. Looking at the beautiful man performing on the stage just filled him with overwhelming feelings of loss and guilt.

     Seunghyun kept the bill of his cap close over his eyes and listened to Jonghyun's voice accompanied by his guitar. He noticed that Jonghyun had changed slightly in his appearance. He had dyed his ebony hair into a dark shade of red, and it was a bit shorter than it was two years ago. Seunghyun frowned. Jonghyun seemed to have lost a lot of weight; his cheekbones were more angled and the build of his body that Seunghyun had always admired had disappeared. Was he not eating well?

     He bit his lip. He wasn't in a position to worry about Jonghyun anymore. All he could do was watch silently and wish that the past could be erased.

 

---

 

     Hongki knew what he was doing. He had seen Seunghyun's reaction when Jonghyun appeared on stage, and gave himself a mental high five. It had been just as he had predicted. 

     Truthfully, he was sick of having to go in between the two men like that and pretend that nothing happened. He also clung to his belief that Seunghyun and Jonghyun were made for each other. He just wanted to see the two of them happy again. And together. Just like how it was two years ago.

     "Are you sure about this?" his boyfriend, Choi Jonghun asked as leaned his toned upper body over the bar towards him.

     Hongki Jonghun's face and tucked a black lock behind his ear. "I really hope so," he whispered.