Spring; 2012

Teardrops In The Rain

     The rain poured down in rivets, tapping at the windowpanes as Seunghyun stirred his morning coffee. The aroma of Arabica beans mixed with a little nutmeg and cream wafted around the little kitchen in his apartment. He breathed it in, closed his eyes, and took his first sip. The warm spicy liquid swirled around in his mouth before disappearing down his throat when he swallowed. He the froth off his lips and checked his watch.

     9:45 a.m.

     He had another recording session later in the afternoon. So far the music for his first track on his single was halfway done. He had been meaning to go over the arrangement with Yonghwa again and made a mental note to do so. He chuckled; any more changes to the music arrangements and Jungshin, the in-house bassist, would throw a fit. He was funny when he became mad, that Jungshin.

     His mug was half-empty and Seunghyun set it down on the stainless steel countertop. He had always enjoyed his coffee mixed that way, with a little nutmeg and cream. After all, he had gotten the recipe from a very special someone. Seunghyun’s smile turned wry. He wondered where that person was, if he was still asleep, if he was doing well. Two long years had passed and Seunghyun had not even heard a single thing about him. It was as if he had just disappeared. Of course, it wasn’t as if Hongki had been updating him.

     Hongki and Jonghyun had continued to be in touch, that Seunghyun was sure of. He knew Hongki was a bit resentful towards him because of what he had done. But the singer waiter never showed his resentment and always greeted him warmly every time they met up. Seunghyun was grateful for that. His own guilt was enough.

     His phone started ringing and Seunghyun hastily answered it.

     “Hello?”

     “Rise and shine, my pet!”

     Seunghyun chuckled. “Why, I was just thinking about you, Hongki-hyung.”

     “Is that so? Ah, but you know I’m already taken, Seunghyunnie. I’d leave Jonghun for you, but he’ll come after you and kill you,” Hongki said, mock-seriously.

     “Gee, that’s too bad, and I’m scared of your boyfriend. I’m heart-broken,” Seunghyun said, playing along. “Anyway, all flirting aside, why’d you call me?’

     “Ah, I just wanted to let you know we’re bringing in a new singer at the pub tonight and I wanted you to hear him since you’re a professional now. So are you busy tonight?”

     “I’ll have to check my schedule, hyung. I’m a very busy person,” Seunghyun said half-seriously. It was true, he did have to check if Yonghwa wanted him to spend more time in the studio.

     “Don’t be a snob and come tonight, okay?” Hongki asked. “His slot is at 10.”

     “I’ll try hyung. It’s just that I’m becoming busier lately,” Seunghyun said, feeling a little bad.

     “I hope you will come,” Hongki said softly. The line went dead.

     Seunghyun stared at his phone and sighed. All his hyungs had a knack for making him feel like an .

 

---

 

     Jonghyun was awoken by a loud rapping on the door. He rubbed his eyes and hastily pulled on a t-shirt that was hanging on one of the bedposts. He stood up and in one stride he had already reached the door. That was how small his living space was.

     He opened the door and there was Hongki, holding a steaming cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of buns in the other.

     “Hi!” Hongki said. He smiled, holding up the bag of buns.

     Feigning a look of utter annoyance, Jonghyun slammed the door in Hongki’s face. Then he opened it again slowly, and grinned. The singer’s face was priceless. He wore an expression that half-shocked and half-butthurt.

     Jonghyun laughed. “I was kidding, Hongstar.” He patted Hongki’s shoulder. “Come in.”

     Hongki walked into Jonghyun’s room. “Tsk tsk tsk, look at this place,” he complained, shaking his head at the sorry sight of the single bed on a rusty frame, a few pots and pans, and the bag where Jonghyun kept his clothes.

     Jonghyun crossed his arms. “It’s not like I have a choice.” He cleared his throat. “So why did you come here, exactly?”

     “What, a friend can’t pop in to see how his friend is doing?” Hongki pouted.

     Jonghyun just stared at his friend, and waited for the real answer.

     “What?” Hongki asked, a little nervously.

     “I know something is up. Lee Hongki would never visit someone without a reason because he is a total lazy . Give it up.”

     “What are you talking about?!”

     “You’re nervous, Hongki,” Jonghyun said as he inched closer to the shorter male. “I can see beads of sweat forming on your upper lip.”

     Jonghyun narrowed his eyes into slits and stared deep into Hongki’s eyes. Hongki balked at the close proximity and looked away.

     “Tsk, fine. I give up,” Hongki said, detesting Jonghyun’s ability to see right through him. “Here have some coffee first; I want you to be awake.”

     Jonghyun took the cup of coffee from Hongki and sipped. “Okay, I’m awake.”

     “Tsk, so impatient.”

     “Just tell me already.”

     “Do you remember how we met? It was such a nice sunny –“

     “Just cut straight to the point, please.”

     Hongki took a deep breath and carefully phrased his words.  “We want you to play for us tonight,” he said, biting his lip.

     Jonghyun sighed. “Hongki…” he warned.

     “Please! Just for a week, our regular artist broke his leg, and we’re pretty much desperate,” Hongki begged.

     “I can’t do it, Hongki. Find someone else.”

     “You’re the only one Jonghun would approve of,” Hongki said. “Please?”

     “I have my shift at the convenience store, I can’t just call in sick at the last minute,” Jonghyun said, finding more reasons to back out in his head.

     “I’ll call them for you then,” was Hongki’s stubborn reply.

     “But –“

     “We’ll pay you.”

     Hongki looked at Jonghyun as the latter quickly considered the offer. “I know you need the money, Jonghyun. Think of it as a favor. Plus, I hate to see all this talent going to waste in this dingy place.”

     “You’re just saying that to get me to play tonight,” Jonghyun said, his lips slowly curving into a smile.

     Hongki smiled. “I hate you for doing that.” He held out a hand. “So will you play for us?”

     Jonghyun slapped Hongki’s hand away and grimaced. “Fine.”

     “WHOOPIEEEEE!!!” Hongki cheered as he pounced onto the guitarist for a hug.

 

Spring; 2010

     Jung Yonghwa was on a mission. As he stepped into the smoky pub that was filled with the loud banter of the patrons and the smell of alcohol, his attention was immediately called to the boy who was tuning a guitar on stage. He was mesmerized; not only by the boy’s handsome looks, but also the way his fingers skillfully moved over the strings.

     Twenty minutes later, Yonghwa discovered that the boy was part of a band. He was even more surprised that the waiter who had served him his drink earlier had turned out to be the vocalist. They were joined by a drummer, a bassist and another guitarist.

     Everyone in the band had talent, but Yonghwa couldn’t take his eyes off the boy. He realized that boy on stage in the middle of a fast rap was special. He realized the special effect he had on the audience for they all were hushed up and attentive. The boy smiled toothily when he was done.

     That was when Yonghwa had made up his mind.

     The next day, Yonghwa searched for the boy at the café where he worked. He spotted the boy almost immediately and his heart thumped.

     The boy, upon spotting the new customer, grabbed a notepad and a pen and walked towards the customer with a bright smile.

     “Hello, welcome! What would you like to order, sir?”

     Yonghwa contemplated before answering. “You,” he said simply.

     The boy looked confused. “Me?”

     “What is your name?”

     “It’s Song Seunghyun, sir,” the boy answered uneasily.

     Yonghwa grinned. “Song Seunghyun, how would you like a job as a session guitarist in my studio?”