Chapter 2

The most beautiful mistake I ever made

 


“Hee, that sounds wrong.” Taeyang said as we played our instruments. “Try A major.”

“Alright.” I nodded and replaced the G minor with A major. “That does sound better.” I smiled.

“Where’s Jae?” Sungmin asked, fixing the strings of his guitar. “It’s unusual for him to be late.”

“I saw him talking with Ji Yeon a while ago.” Changmin said quietly.

I nodded with a smile and pretended to be busy with my guitar, trying to hide my saddened face.

“Oh, Jae!” Junsu waved happily.

I quickly took a deep breath, calming myself down and smiled as I looked up. As usual, he was dashing but instead of the usual huge smile, a small frown was quivering on his lips.

“Guys…” He sighed, looking at the floor. “We’re dropping out of the competition.”

That was it. Junsu froze on his place, the grin still plastered on his face. Taeyang stared at him blankly, his brain not receiving the information that was just dropped like a bomb. Changmin and I just glanced at each other, not getting what happened to him.

“Jae, stop messing around.” Sungmin chuckled nervously. “It’s not even 1st of April!”

“I’m not joking.” Jaejoong said, finally looking at us. “We’re not competing.”

“WHAT?!” Junsu yelled, obviously getting angry as I noticed his ears becoming red. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN ‘WE’RE NOT COMPETING’?”

“Jae, it’s only one week left till the finals.” Taeyang said, trying to control his anger. “We can’t just drop out.”

Jaejoong didn’t say anything. He glanced at me and quickly turned away, running out of the school building. I gave my guitar to Changmin and rushed out, following Jaejoong.

“Jae!” I screamed. “JAE!”

He finally stopped but didn’t turn.

“What’s going on?” I breathed out, panting. “Why are we dropping out?”

“I just… I just can’t go against Ji Yeon.” He said with a tint of tears in his voice.

As soon as I understood what he meant, I tried to control myself from punching him. Ji Yeon was also in this competition. She was the soloist of her band and they were the winners of the second semi-finals, their votes being less than ours. If our band dropped out, it would be equivalent to her band winning.

“Did that chick ask you to drop out?” I hissed. “TELL ME!” I yelled, grabbing his shoulder and turning him around, only to find him with watery eyes.

“It’s her dream to become a famous star!” He yelled. “I can’t just crush!”

“And you can crush Taeyang’s dream?” I was at the verge of breaking down. “Will allow some girl come in first rather than your best friend whom you’ve known almost all your life?”

“She’s not some girl!” He said, becoming angry. “She’s my girlfriend, Hee! My girlfriend!”

That’s when I snapped. I was ready to get myself hurt. But I wouldn’t allow Taeyang’s dream for which he worked so hard to be crushed just by a whining of some bimbo.

“That doesn’t even love you!” I yelled.

“Don’t you dare talk about her like that!”

As soon as those words were out, I felt a stinging pain on left cheek. I put my hand over my cheek, right where just slapped me. My own ing best friend slapped me! I felt tears flowing down my cheeks as I stared at him with hatred.

“You bastard!” Junsu yelled and next thing I know, Jaejoong was on the ground, his nose bleeding.

“Are you alright?” Changmin softly whispered, putting a coat over my body and drawing me close to him.

“Junsu!” Taeyang and Sungmin held Junsu by his arms, preventing him from attacking Jaejoong again.

“WE’RE THROUGH!” Junsu yelled as the guys dragged us inside.

“Hee, are you feeling fine?” Taeyang asked softly as he placed the icepack right on my burning cheek, making me shiver from the cold.

“Does she look like she’s alright?” Junsu hissed.

“Junsu calm down.” Sungmin said.

“How can I freaking calm down?” Junsu yelled. “That bastard raised a hand on her! He raised a hand on his best friend just because of some !”

“Shh… You’re going to give her a headache.” Changmin whispered, his arm around my shoulder.

I couldn’t help but cry over again, my tears wetting Changmin’s shirt. The boys glanced at each other and left, leaving me with Changmin, who was now hugging me.

“It’s alright.” He my hair. “Let it all out.”

I cried until there were no more tears left to fall. As soon as I calmed down, I called my brother and thanked Changmin for comforting me. When my brother arrived, I didn’t tell him anything and just kept silent, locking myself in my room and crying again.

The next morning I stretched and stood up, walking towards my door. As soon as I was out of the room, I walked towards the kitchen when I saw my 11 year old sister, Soo Ni, walk out with an apple juice in her hands.

“I thought you hated apple juice?” I looked at her.

“And I thought you didn’t have a boyfriend.” She retorted back and went to the living room.

“But I don’t.” I mumbled, entering the kitchen

“Oh, Yoon Hee, you’re up already?” Eun Hye, my sister-in-law, asked me.

Yup. My brother was older than me by 8 years and already had two children. We lived together because my parents were always on their business trips and I wasn’t old enough to have an apartment.

“You didn’t tell me you had such a handsome boyfriend.” She whispered and walked away with a plate of fruits.

“Why does everyone think I have a boyfriend?” I mumbled as I walked to the living room, only to be shocked.

There sat Changmin, surrounded by my family members, making it look like he himself was a part of it.

“Oh, there you are!” My brother smiled, motioning me to come closer. “Changmin came to check up on you.”

“R-r-really?” I stuttered as I sat next to Changmin.

I’ve never been close to Changmin before and seeing how worried he was made my heart flutter.

“Why don’t we leave them alone?” Eun Hye asked and dragged my brother away while Soo Ni bowed a little and walked away.

“Your family is nice.” He said, breaking the awkward silence. “How are you feeling?”

“Better than yesterday.” I smiled, making him chuckle. “You were probably scared to see me like that.”

“Like what?” He asked.

“Like a weak person.” I said, looking down.

“Actually… I liked to see that side of you.” He said, making my head snap up. “Yoon Hee…” He took a deep breath. “I…I love you.”

I stared at him in shock.

“I fell in love with you ever since I saw you.” He said. “I know it’s a wrong timing but…”

“Changmin, I…”

“I know you love Jaejoong.” He said, making me gasp in shock. “And yesterday’s events are still confusing you. But I’m willing to wait.”

 

Now after those 6 years, these memories cause a warm tingling sensation.  We stopped talking with Jaejoong after the incident but I did hear that he broke up with Ji Yeon and left the country. Even though we didn’t compete, Taeyang was noticed by one of the producers who was a judge and now is a soloist. Junsu is now studying law while Sungmin is trying MBA degree. Me? After 3 months of being courted by Changmin, I finally said ‘yes’ to him. And now, we’re married and expecting our first child.

“What are you thinking about?” Changmin asked as he kissed my temple and hugged me gently.

“About our high school.” I said, snuggling closer to him.

“Oh. Do you regret it?” He asked.

“Mmm…” I shook my head. “Because if it weren’t for him, we would never end up together.”

Changmin nodded and we continued to cuddle in silence, feeling each other’s warmth.

Yes, I don’t regret falling in love with Jaejoong because that incident gave me a chance to find the love of my life.

Jaejoong, you were the most beautiful mistake I ever made.

 


 

 

~THE END~

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: So, basically, that's it. Yeah, I actually love my unnie's love story and I really respect my brother-in-law for never giving up on her and loving her for 2 years before confessingheart