Balloons

Balloons

 
Key raked his slender fingers through his silky hair in frustration. Crumpling the ruffled piece of paper lying before him, he groaned. "Urgh I'm never going to get done with this." Sighing, he threw the crushed piece of paper at the trashcan by the door wearily.
 
"Woah... Bummie, your room's a dump. Not done with it yet?" the mahogany door creaked open and Jonghyun stepped in, kicking randomly at the pieces of crumpled papers that littered the glossy marble floors of Key's usually meticulously tidied room.
 
"Not yet! Jjong I swear I'll go crazy just by working on another sketch! Inspiration seems to be eluding me these days. And I'm only left with a week's time to finish up this piece of !" he lamented, his husky voice laced with tremendous agony and distress. He ruffled his hair helplessly, inadvertently pulling out a few strands in utter frustration.
 
"Come on, cheer up Bummie...If you go on pulling out your hair like this, I reckon you'll go bald in no time!" A goofy grin stretched across Jonghyun's countenance, and he sashayed across the room, placing a glass of juice on Key's heavy cedar desk. "Drink up yeobo! Relax! Loosen up!"
 
"I'm not going bald for this piece of ." Key spat, enunciating each word slowly, a hint a malice underlying his firm tone. He sent Jonghyun an intent glare, his feline eyes like daggers, silencing Jonghyun instantly. An unsettling silence hovered within the small confines of the room, and Jonghyun soon began fidgeting under the uncomfortable atmosphere.
 
"Alright, alright... I'm sorry..." Then, the elder’s eyes lit up. "Come on Key... I've got a brilliant idea! Come with me! You won’t regret!" he pranced at Key in unadulterated excitement, tugging fervently at his wrist, before gleefully pulling him out of the room.

 

 ~ 

 

 
The two adolescents ended up in a idyllic park by a placid lake. Key's brows were knitted in a frown, his arms folded across his chest. This was a sight that Jonghyun had grown accustomed to, and it never failed to make him smile.
 
"Now wait here!" Jonghyun chimed, patting Key on the shoulder with a cavern grin suffusing his features.
 
"Oh no no no, don't you think of leaving." Key grabbed Jonghyun by his upper arm, his voice adopting a tone of authority and control. "First, you drag me here without my consent, forcing me to dump aside all my assignments I'm rushing to complete,” the younger’s eyes narrowed and his voice softened into a menacing hiss,” And now, you're telling me to stay here alone and wait for you while you scoot off buoyantly!" He gritted his teeth in seething rage. “How nice of you.”
 
"Yeobo let me off, please!" Jonghyun whined childishly, causing the grip of Key's tender fingers to tighten around Jonghyun’s arms. The latter winced, but was nonetheless persistent in his efforts to get away. "I'll be sure to get back as soon as possible. I won't disappoint you, I promise!"
 
Key drew a long, lethargic sigh, finally releasing his iron grip around Jonghyun’s arms. "Oh Alright... Fine... I'm drained of energy to stop your silly antics anyway."
 
"Thank you Bum baby!" Jonghyun pecked Key lightly on his cheeks, earning a theatrical grunt from an irritated Key. A little chortle of victory involuntarily escaped Jonghyun's rosy lips, and he scurried off in lightning speed, lest key decided to change his mind.
 
As he waited for Jonghyun to return, Key flopped himself down on the emerald grass damp with the morning's dew. He sighed wearily yet again as he attempted taking in the serenity of the peaceful waters before him. However, his efforts were futile, and he found the nearing deadline of his assignment creeping back into the back of his mind.
 
"Oh God Dang it! Life !" Key plummeted down to the ground on his back. He messed with his blonde hair once more, only to hear Jonghyun's previous comment regarding the possibility of him going bald reverberating in his cluttered mind. "URGH!"
 
After what seemed like eternity, Key suddenly heard a dissonant sound of some faint pattering footsteps coming from a distance. The boy sat up instantly and swirled around. He gasped.
 
Jonghyun was jogging back with a bunch of balloons in his hands. They were of different shapes and vibrant colours. The luxurious rays of the scorching sun shone upon them, causing them to glow and glitter in the golden hue. It was a dazzling sight...
 
"Yeobo..." Key grew speechless, completely caught off guard by Jonghyun's little surprise. He stood up and stumbled towards Jonghyun, his gaze never leaving the balloons. "Th-they're beautiful..."
 
A genial smile spread across Jonghyun's visage, and he held out the balloons for Key to hold. Key took the balloons in a daze, mesmerised by all different colours and shapes the balloons held.
 
"Don't be too happy Bum baby, I didn’t say they're yours to keep." Jonghyun chuckled lightly. He gently held onto Key's soft hands, making him release one of the balloons. "Think of the troubles plaguing your mind, and release them along with the balloons one by one. Watch them drift away into the seamless skies, and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Then watch them vanish into nothingness.” He turned and connected his gaze with Key’s earnestly. “Let go, and watch your worries and troubles fade away."
 
Key found himself at a complete lost for words. The emotions raging in him were inexplicable. With Jonghyun's hands guiding his, he released the balloons one after another. In the process, he felt all the troubles that previously occupied his mind fade away one by one.  All the initial stress that swirled around in his head dwindled and evaporated into nothingness.
 
Not long after, the two were lying on their backs against the lush green grass; their fingers firmly intertwined, and their faces facing the impeccable view of the azure skies. There was a myriad of balloons of different shapes, colours and sizes carelessly drifting through the clear blue skies. Key felt an ineffable sense of bliss swelling within from the core of his heart. He stretched out his fingers and traced the balloons floating aimlessly in the skies, imagining the feeling of touching those simple, beautiful balloons. Then, a sudden inspiration hit him.
 
Simplicity.
 
His lips curved into a soft smile. Simplicity was all he needed. Pure and unadulterated, it emanated a magical sentiment. It was the perfect design he needed. Complexities were the hindrance that caused him to fail so miserably at his previous designs. Complexities caused him to spend his past few days in so much unnecessary distress and frustrations.
 

 Simplicity.
 
Simple and beautiful,
 

Complete and perfect,
 

 It's the essence of life.
 

"Thank you Jonghyun. I think you gave me just what I needed. Saranghae..."
 

                                

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

How was this story? I hope It didn't disappoint and managed to get across some messages to you guys. Basically, this story teaches us that life can actually be very simple. Of course, life may seem to get really complicated at times. However, do remember that these moments always pass; storms never last. We have to constantly remind ourselves not to get too tangled up in the complexities life, for eventually, once we learn to let go of certain things and move on, the simplicity of life manifests. Do comment and share your views of this story with me! I'll greatly appreciate it! (: