Hard night

Fugitive [HIATUS]

 

  • Thank you for the ride. – you step outside the van to the bus stop, next to it.
  • Are you sure you don’t want us to take you to the residence? – asks Sunggyu from inside the van.
  • Yes. The residence is only 30 meters away from here. There’s no need for you to take me there. Besides… – you take a pick at the back of the van, where half of them have already fallen asleep. – I can see how tired you all are.
  • Araseo. – he gives up. – Be careful.
  • Neh.
  • Annyeong~ – he signs to you.
  • Annyeong~ – you wave back at him

The van leaves and you begin your journey to the residence. It was a long day of work, but everything went well and the shooting has finally finished. Therefore, the Director invited everyone for dinner, saying that it was to celebrate.

  • The Director is really an amazing person. – you talk to yourself. – He even payed me in advance. – you look to the white envelope you have in your hands. – Now, I can negotiate with the owner and manage my stay in the residence. I hope this works! – you speed up.

You walk 10 meters more and, lastly, you sight the entrance. As you get closer to it, you notice a suitcase on the hall.

  • Uh? – you stop at the spot and shrug your eyes. – What is that? – you start to get anxious and agitated, when you realize that that suitcase in the hall is actually yours.

You run to the entrance, pull the door open and run to the counter to get answers.

  • Ajjushi? Ajjushi? – you call for the owner ringing, several times, the little bell that was on top of the counter.
  • What’s with the noise? – his grumpy voice comes from behind you.
  • Ajjushi!? – you turn around. – Why is my suitcase here? – you point to it.
  • I warned you about this before. I gave you a chance to fix the things, but as I see you didn’t listen to me. – he harshly says it and heads to his place behind the counter.
  • Can’t you give another chance? – you follow him, imploring. – Please, let me stay here. – you beg him. – You can even raise my rent. Here… – you put the white envelope on the counter, in front of the owner. – This is what I have for now, but I will get more I promise.

The man stares at the envelope, for a few seconds, in silence. At this point, you couldn’t feel more nervous. You even stopped your breath so you could concentrate yourself in the man - like you’re trying to convince him to accept the money by telepathy.

  • Do you think you’re the only client I have? – he rolls his harsh eyes at you. – I have to think for the good of everyone in here. Because the clients don’t feel safe here, they leave and I lose a lot of money. No matter if I raise your rent, I would never get that money back. I lose more money if I have you here, than if I haven’t. The only solution I see, is to kick you out of here. – he returns you the envelope. – I took the freedom to pack all of your stuff, so that you could leave as soon as you got here. Now, can you please leave? – he extends his hand to the way out.

He left you without words. You don’t know what else to say, to convince him for you stay. In the end, he’s right. Quietly, you get your suitcase and leave the building.

 

------------

 

You roam through the streets, alone in the dark night. You feel lost and scared. After all, you don’t have anywhere to go. You stop in the middle of the sidewalk to pick up your phone. The contact page is opened and you look for Myungsoo’s number.

  • Maybe he can help me… – you dial the number and put the phone next to your ear.

It’s calling.

  • No, I can’t. – you end the call. – I have to find a solution!

You save your phone in the bag and continue walking without a path. Along the way, you find a hotel and enter inside it. You direct yourself to the counter to ask for a room, but unfortunately there was none available. After that, you continued asking for a room in other hotels and residences, but it was all the same: no room available; too expensive for you or because they would find strange for a girl asking for a room at that time of the night and they refused to let you stay. At some point, you give up the hotels and head to the subway, a sheltered place where to be safe to spend the night, so you think.

You come down the stairs sideways, one step at a time, because you’re holding your heavy suitcase with both of your hands. When you reach the bottom, you land your suitcase on the floor and look around to become familiar with the place. Then, you find a bench ahead of you. You sit on the bench and put the suitcase on the floor next to you. Your arms are stretched along side with the palm of your hands on the bench supporting the weight of your shoulders; you keep your keens together, with your feet thrown back. You’re looking forward, watching a subway pass by. It is noisy and very fast.

*I wonder if many subways stop here.* you try to distance yourself from the situation your into right now.

  • Oh… there’s a vending machine.

 

*roar*

 

  • Some time has passed since I ate something. – you take a bill from your previous payment and use it to buy a chocolate bar.

You return to your sit to enjoy the only think that makes you happy right now: a chocolate bar.

 

*ring*

 

  • Yoboseyo? – you answer the phone.
  • ~~~-ah? – it’s Myungsoo. – You called me? Is everything alright?

*”Kwenchanna?”* the voice of Myungsoo echoes in your head and tears come to your eyes.

  • Hmm… kwenchanna. – you give short answer because your voice is trembling, and you don’t want him to notice anything.
  • Why did you call me? You forgot something?
  • Annya.
  • What is it then?

Earlier you called to tell him that you were kicked out of the residence, but then you decided not to and find the solution by yourself. Ever since you ran away from home, you’re on your own; therefore, you don’t want to depend on anyone.

  • I just wanted to say goodnight, as I didn’t had the chance before. – you make an excuse. – Goodnight, Myungsoo oppa.

He chuckles.

  • Goodnight ~~~-ah! Sweet dreams. – he gently wishes and, then, hangs up.

You also hang up and lay on the bench. You can’t take it anymore. You let the tears fall from your watery eyes and cry yourself to sleep.

 


 

So, what do you think of this chapter?