Chapter 3

The Nemesis

*Few months later…


Today is an important day for Jangwoo. He promised his mum to go for a simple dinner with her friend’s daughter later. However he wanted to get EunJung’s approval before he dates any woman.


Jangwoo decided to call EunJung to go along with him.


‘Hey EunJung-ah. Free later for a dinner?’


‘Why the sudden invitation? Of course I am fine with it. Where?’ EunJung was silently happy about the ‘date’.


‘Posh restaurant. I’ll come and pick you up later at 7.00pm. Bye.’


*


Jangwoo drove to her office and waited her in the car. Sharp at 7.00pm, a lady came out from the elevator and entered his car.


‘Wow you are so punctual on times like this.’ Jangwoo took EunJung’s briefcase and put it aside.


‘Of course, because someone is going to treat me nice food.’ EunJung settled down and about to buckle her seat belt.


‘Wait, I haven’t told you the whole thing yet. I have to fetch another person. So you have to…sit at the back.’


Surprised by his statement. ‘Another person? Who? Your mum? Are we eating together then?’ EunJung pulled away the buckle and got ready to sit behind.


‘Not my mum. It’s my matchmaking partner.’ Jangwoo said while checking her facial expression. It was clear that she was not okay with it. I better behave later.


‘Dating partner? You are dating again? Who? Do I know her? Is she pretty?’ EunJung can’t help to feel curious and weirdly unhappy at the idea.


‘You will see.’


*


When they reach that woman’s house, Jangwoo personally got down and open the door for her. EunJung mumbles to herself.
Chet, he doesn’t even do this for me. Stupid bias Lee Jangwoo.


When the lady got in, EunJung was surprised. It was actually her coursemate, Kim YooJin.


‘Oh hello EunJung-ssi, you are here also?’ YooJin surprised at the presence of EunJung.


‘Oh hi. Wasn’t expecting you.’ EunJung greeted with an awkward hello.


*


During the whole journey, Jangwoo and YooJin starting to get to know each other, while EunJung were sitting lonely at the back. The fact that she is sitting at the back while some random girl occupying ‘her’ seat made her feel uneasy. Although she is used to
seeing Jangwoo being with other woman, this time it’s different. She felt as though her ‘things’ are snatch away from her.


Upon reaching the restaurant, EunJung excused herself and went to the toilet. She stood in front of the mirror and gave herself a hard look.


‘Ham EunJung what are you thinking? Jangwoo is outside there with another girl. So what? Why are you even here talking to yourself?’


She the tap and start splashing water to her face. She looked back into the mirror once again. Ham EunJung, get a hold of yourself. Don’t act all weird later. FIGHTING! After all the self-hypnotising, she checked herself out once again before
joining them.


*


The waiter came and Jangwoo made the order. When EunJung wanted to order her food, Jangwoo stopped her and chose both their favourite food instead - steak.


EunJung was silently happy that Jangwoo did not neglect her despite a goddess ‘lightbulb’ interfering their so called dinner date. When the food was served, Jangwoo took away Eunjung’s culinary and her steak.


‘Yah, why are you taking my—‘


She stopped complaining when she saw Jangwoo started cutting the steak into bite pieces. ‘I know you’re bad at cutting...’ Jangwoo said with a smile.


After finished cutting them, he returned Eunjung’s plate and stuffs the fork into her hand. ‘Now you can eat them.’


Seeing the scene in right in front of her, YooJin quickly interrupted. ‘So how did you guys met? You two seem pretty close,’ She scoops a mouthful of pasta and put it on Jangwoo’s plate. ‘Here, try mine. It’s really delicious.’


Shocked by YooJin’s initiative action, EunJung explained cockily, ‘Ah, this man beside you has been following me for years. He can’t live without me. Practically he is my personal slave that oblige to everything I asked.’


‘Yah, why are you telling people all this?’ Jangwoo mouthed at EunJung and turn to YooJin awkwardly, ‘Ah YooJin-ssi please don’t mind her. She is always like this. Enjoy your food.’



‘Sure, I will. Especially together with Jangwoo-ssi and perfect ambience here. Too bad there is someone who spoils the mood.’ YooJin retorted back sarcastically, not losing out.


EunJung with her fear of losing out character starts to reminiscence with Jangwoo about their high school memories so that YooJin had nothing to share and interrupt them. Blockhead Jangwoo did not noticed the tension building up on the table and went with the flow.


‘Jangwoo-ah, do you still remember when we had our end of year camping trip? EunJung took a piece of the meat and shoved it to . ‘We had so much fun back then. Ah, I miss those times. Let’s have one this weekend. It’s time to have a gathering with our classmates too.’


‘Really? I am really itching to sleep in the tent. Getting stuck in office for weeks is bad for health. YooJin-ssi, do you want to join us too? It’s nice to have you around.’ Jangwoo invites bluntly without noticing the glare from the lady opposite him.


‘Sure, I would love to. I love camping too.’ YooJin agreed quickly despite being the clean-freak that hates anything tedious. She doesn’t want to lose to chance to know more about Jangwoo.


EunJung silently swallow her anger towards Jangwoo and speaks, ‘YooJin-ssi, be prepared for it. We always have special events for newcomers. Don’t retreat by that time.’


‘I would be looking forward to it.’


*


EunJung closes the front door slowly and sat down to the floor. For the whole dinner date she tried to shake off the uncomfortable feeling but to no avail. After some deep thoughts, she came to a conclusion.


No no no. It must be me that my life is lacking of men. It’s time for me to get to know someone too.