Chapter 2

The Nemesis

 

Jangwoo was looking through his documents in his office when a text came in.

 

[Same old place tonight. – Ham BaekGu]

 

*

 

Jangwoo packed his belongings a bit before getting ready to meet with her as promised.

 

When he got to the foodstall, she is already drinking on her own. Few bottles of soju can be seen on the table. 

 

She seems to be really stress out. Jangwoo heaved a sigh and walked into the stall.

 

‘Why looking so troubled? Your love story met with mishap again?’ Jangwoo asked while getting a seat.

 

‘Still you know me the best…I...I have just broken up with SooHyun. He says we are not compatible…’ Her voice trailed off as she gulps down another cup of soju.

 

Jangwoo shook his head slightly. I think I am the only one in the world that tolerates you. No wonder you get ditched.

 

Trying to make her feel better, ‘Yah Ham Eunjung, it’s good that you leave him. I don’t like that ex-boyfriend of yours too. He always stares hard at me whenever he sees me around you.’

 

‘Really?? No wonder he used to complaint to me about you sticking around me… Ahh, anyway it’s not important anymore… I still have my…best friend here…’ EunJung pat Jangwoo’s back hard as she falls on the table, drunk.

 

‘EunJung-ah, EunJung-ah, are you alright? Can you hear me?’ Jangwoo shook EunJung slightly trying to wake her up.

 

‘Oh, my best friend is here... Now I demand you to bring me home…’ Drunk EunJung said her piece and falls back to the table again.

 

Seriously this woman needs to stop drinking. It’s just my luck for me to be her best friend.

 

*

 

EunJung got up feeling heavy headed. As she sat up on her bed, she turned to her side and saw it was already half past ten in the morning. She was massaging her throbbing head when suddenly she saw a note on the bed table.

 

For goodness sake, you weigh a ton. Lose your fat someday.

Or else you are going home yourself next time.

 

EunJung rolled her eyes when she saw the note. ‘Lee Jangwoo, you are so dead.’

 

*

 

Jangwoo who was making breakfast, sneezes suddenly. Only one thought came across his mind.

 

That pig must have woken up and talked behind my back.

 

He walks towards her room and gave a slight knock. ‘Clear your head enough to talk bad about me? Faster get up you lazy bum. Breakfast is ready.’

 

EunJung got up from bed feeling confused hearing his voice, ‘You didn’t go home last night?’

 

‘Big thanks to you. I was too tired after carrying you and slept on the sofa yesterday. Come over here. I made you some soup to ease your headache.’ Jangwoo explained while signaling her to sit down.

 

Eunjung drank the soup heartily. Deep down in her heart, she always felt grateful to have Jangwoo in her bad days even though she doesn’t show it out. Suddenly she stopped and stares back at the Jangwoo. ‘What did you mean by weighing a ton?’

 

Jangwoo gulps down his last mouth before answering her carefully, ‘Well…you were drunk and he…heav…heavy, so… Hey hey wait. Don’t get angry first. Imagine you are all dead drunk and I had to piggyback you all the way to your room. I have the right to complaint right?’

 

EunJung thinks for awhile and said, ‘Jangwoo-ssi, I’m letting you off with a condition this time. Make me lunch today as well.’ EunJung smirked after getting victory once again.

 

‘I know you always wanted to make use of me. I have already bought the ingredients for lunch from the grocery store just now. I am gonna make kimchi soup and rolled eggs later.’

 

*

 

During the cooking time, EunJung felt bad and volunteered to help him out. While cutting the kimchi, Jangwoo asked randomly, ‘Seriously why did SooHyun break up with you?’

 

‘He said I paid more attention to work. He thinks that I left him out.’ EunJung blurt out honestly.

 

‘Just like that and he broke up with you? That’s why I say you are never good in looking for a partner. All of them are not good or better than me.’ Jangwoo complaint.

 

‘Why must they all be as good as you? Are you really that good? Isn’t that over confidence of you?’ EunJung rebuked as she put the ingredients into the pot.

 

‘For other things I dare not to say but anything related to you, I am the best candidate for your partner.’ He said confidently. ‘No no no next time, if you have any new boyfriend, you must let me see beforehand. If they meet my requirement, you can date them.’

 

‘Then you think I like all your girlfriends too? They are far from my expectations too. None of them are like me.’ EunJung said proudly.

 

‘Oh really? According to what you say, we must date each other then?’ Jangwoo said simply.

 

EunJung was shocked by that statement. Dating each other? Being friends with one another for so long, this question has never occurred to her before.

 

Jangwoo sense the sudden awkwardness in the atmosphere and quickly changed the topic. ‘Yah, Ham EunJung, the soup is boiling. Turn off the fire now.’ Jangwoo reminded her and gave her a slight tug.

 

EunJung who was still in dazed quickly recovered, ‘Oh oh okay alright. I was going to off it just now.’ They quickly settle down after awhile and enjoy their home made lunch like any other weekends.

 

Both in their late twenties who focused more in their careers, enjoyed having each other’s company during weekends together. Let it be camping or jogging or even just a simple meal together made their days joyful. To those who doesn’t know them will think that they are dating but for those who knew, they are the best girl-boy bestfriends ever.

 

Who will ever believe that these two will go on forever as best friends? Can a man and woman become bestfriends in real life?