Chapter 7: Barbie "girl"

Twin Hearts

   “Yoon Mi!” you called out as soon as you finished your last period. She turned to look at you and smiled. “Let’s go home together,” you told her and smiled.

   “I uh… have something to do,” Yoon Mi said and blushed. You raised an eyebrow at her sudden behavior.

   “What is it? Why are you blushing? What is that?” you asked as you pointed at the folded paper she was holding.

   “It’s nothing. You can go ahead. I’ll try and catch up with you,” Yoon Mi said.

   “O…kay,” you uttered and turned to leave when you suddenly halted. ‘Is she keeping a secret from me? Aniyo! ~ don’t think like that ____. She’s your best friend. She won’t keep any secrets from you unlike you!’ you mentally scolded yourself. But you were tempted to follow Yoon Mi and so you did.

 

   “Oppa,” Yoon Mi said as she shyly tapped Youngmin on the shoulder. Youngmin immediately turned around when he heard her voice.

   “What do you need?” Youngmin asked coldly then turned to the book shelf again. As soon as you recognized Youngmin, you hid behind the shelf next to where they were.

   “Oppa, I wrote this for you,” Yoon Mi said and blushed as she handed the folded paper to Youngmin. Youngmin raised an eyebrow at the paper and started looking for a book again. “Oppa…”

   “Can you please stop bugging me!? How many times do I have to reject you before you stop huh?” Youngmin asked curtly. Because of this, Yoon Mi trembled in fear and started to get teary. You covered your mouth to prevent yourself to gasp out loud. “And don’t show that crying face of yours to make me guilty! Now go away before I say another word.”

   “Oppa, why do you keep rejecting me? What did I do wrong?” Yoon Mi asked as she let her tears fall.

   “I don’t like you. That’s all there is to it,” Youngmin said, not looking at Yoon Mi.

   “Why don’t you like me? I’m pretty and smart. What do I need to do to make you like me?” Yoon Mi asked in desperation.

   “Yoon Mi-unnie… what are you doing? You like that guy?” you whispered to yourself.

 

   “You’re right, Yoon Mi. You are very pretty and you are smart but that doesn’t mean I would like you. You don’t have to do anything. Just stop bugging me and forcing me to like you because I would never ever like you. I’m sorry. So if you may please go away now,” Youngmin explained and sighed before he turned to look at the-now-crying Yoon Mi. “Look, just because my younger brother is your friend it doesn’t mean you have your chances with me. You are kind, pretty, smart. You are a girl a guy could ever want but you don’t deserve me and so do I. You deserve someone better so please just leave me alone,” he said calmly which made Yoon Mi cry harder. She didn’t care whether the librarian or any other people in there could hear her or not. “Yah, stop crying.”

 

   “I deserve you! You deserve me! We deserve each other!” Yoon Mi cried. Youngmin just sighed in exasperation before he looked at her. “Oppa… please, I know we’ll work out somehow,” Yoon Mi pleaded. Youngmin shook his head and brushed Yoon Mi’s hand off his arm then left. You were shocked at Youngmin’s actions. You really hated him to your guts. Rude guy, isn’t he? Right now, you wanted to run to your best friend and hug her tight and comfort her but you can’t bring yourself to do so. Besides, Yoon Mi knows you went home so you just decided to go now before she catches you.

 

   When you got home, you lied on your bed and sighed as you stared at the ceiling. “Poor Yoon Mi… why does she have to like that rude blonde?” you asked yourself and closed your eyes. “Of all guys she could’ve liked why him?” you added. “Aish… why couldn’t she just like Kwang— wait, no. I like Kwangmin-oppa so she can’t like him and besides— aish, what am I saying now!? I’m so selfish. Kwangmin and I are just friends and I’m pretty sure he likes Yoon Mi,” you told yourself as you opened your eyes again. The realization struck you. It was like a thousand needles pricked your heart. “Yeah, he probably does. I mean, he asked her to study with him on Friday. Maybe he’ll confess to her?” you asked then slapped your cheeks. “Yah, Kim _______what are you imagining? Aish, but that’s possible. UGH! I don’t know what to do,” you whined and rolled on your bed like a kid. Soon, you felt tired and just drifted off to sleep.

 

   The next day you woke up with a big headache but you decided to ignore it and went to school. As soon as you got there, you saw Kwangmin at the front gate as if he’s waiting for someone. You smiled and imagined him approaching you but your smile faded when you saw Youngmin approaching him. The scene from yesterday flashed back and you felt your blood boiling. You were about to approach the two when you felt someone put a hand on your shoulder.

   “Good morning,” Yoon Mi said and smiled. You knew that she was faking a smile.

   “Hey,” you said dryly and faked a smile as well. “Did you go home safely yesterday?”

   “Huh? Ah, yeah,” she replied and you could see a trace of sadness in her eyes.

   “Did something happen?” you asked.

   “Nothing,” she lied. You shook your head and sighed.

   “Be honest with me Yoon Mi. I’m your best friend. Are you hiding something from me?” you asked and she didn’t reply. You repeated the question and she just sighed.

   “Nothing happened. Believe me, _______,” she assured you with her smile.

   “Okay,” you said one-wordily. You didn’t want to press on her too hard. She might get hurt again. ‘But how can I believe you when I know what happened?

   “Let’s go?” she asked and you nodded.

 

   “So uh…Yoon Mi-unnie, may I ask something?” you asked as you skipped alongside her. She nodded in response. “Do you like someone, unnie?” you asked and she turned to you with wide eyes. “Do you?”

   “Wh…what are you talking about? M…me? N…no way! I…I don’t like an…anyone,” she stammered.

   “Unnie…” you uttered. You felt guilty. ‘Should I tell her?’ you asked yourself. ‘No! She’ll get mad!’ the back of your mind told you.

   “Hey, are you okay?” Yoon Mi asked which made you snap out of your reverie.

   “Yeah,” you said and shifted uncomfortably.

   “Is there something you want to tell me?” Yoon Mi asked worriedly.

   “Unnie, you can’t possibly like that Youngmin right?” you asked all of a sudden which made her shock.

   “Eh?” she uttered.

   “You like him, don’t you?” you asked.

   “Yah… that’s a bit…” Yoon Mi paused as she blushed.

   “Just be honest with me, unnie. I won’t tell anyone especially Kwangmin-oppa,” you said with a smile.

   “Fine, fine… I do like Youngmin-oppa,” Yoon Mi confessed. “Kwangmin-oppa knows that.”

   “He must’ve been hurting all this time, wasn’t he?” you mumbled. Yoon Mi looked at you, confused. “It’s nothing. Don’t mind what I just said.”

   “Okay, but I got to go now. Good luck in your class,” Yoon Mi said and was about to leave when you held her hand.

   “Unnie, do you talk about Youngmin a lot with Kwangmin-oppa?” you asked. Yoon Mi smiled and nodded. You nodded back in response and let go of her hand. With that, she ran away.

   “See you later!” she shouted. You waved at her and as soon as she was out of sight, you sighed.

 

   “I pity Kwangmin-oppa… he has to bear the pain of hearing his loved one talk about his brother,” you told yourself. “I wonder how he could handle that kind of situation. Why couldn’t he just confess to her? It’s safe anyway since Youngmin keeps on rejecting unnie,” you told yourself. “Even if that would mean that I would be the one hurt. But I can endure it, I could. I have to. It’s for my best friend and Kwangmin-oppa. I don’t want to see Yoon Mi hurt anymore,” you added and heaved another sigh. “Aish… why does she have to like Youngmin out of all people? I mean, he looks a lot like a Barbie girl than a guy,” you mumbled and laughed at your statement. “Now that I think about it, Youngmin does look like a Barbie with his blonde hair and all.”

 

   “Did you just call me a Barbie?” a voice said from behind you. You gasped in horror and turned around only to see a pissed Youngmin.

   “Oh, it’s the Barbie girl,” you teased.

   “Yah, don’t call me a Barbie. I’m a guy and are you nuts? Why are you talking to yourself?” Youngmin asked as he raised an eyebrow at you. “Ooh… you’re talking about me? Why, do you like me that much?” he asked teasingly as he leaned closer to you. Because of this, you pushed his face away.

   “In your dreams Youngmin, I would never ever like a guy like you. I’m not as blind as Yo— well, all the girls that adore you,” you mocked him. “Barbie girl.”

   “Yah, I told you to stop calling me Barbie girl or else!” he threatened and paused a bit to think.

   “Or else what? You’re going to dress up like a Barbie?” you teased and smirk. “Barbie, Barbie.”

   “Or else I’ll kiss you!” he said. You froze for a while but then a smirk formed on your face.

   “Yeah, right as if you could do that. That would be gross to kiss someone on your own gender,” you said and laughed. “Barbie, Barbie, Barbie. Youngmin is a Barbie. Barbie, Barbie, Barbie, Youngmin is a Barb—” you suddenly stopped humming when Youngmin leaned forward to you. Your lips were only about three centimeters away. You froze on the spot. You didn’t know what to do until…

   “Hyung?” you heard Kwangmin’s voice ask. Youngmin stopped and looked at his younger twin. Youngmin gave him a what-do-you-want-now-I’m-busy look. “What are you doing to _______,hyung? Why are you kissing her?” Kwangmin asked in confusion.

   “N…no! He didn’t! He was just telling me something! He didn’t kiss me at all,” you defended yourself. ‘Right, like he’s gonna buy that. From his angle it looked like we were kissing. But we didn’t! UGH!

----

Please comment and Subscribe to Story